PDA

View Full Version : Swords, sins.. I need ideas

Niro
2010-12-17, 08:07 PM
Soon I will be GM'ing a game of Bleach for a couple of friends and I have gotten the idea to create a shinigami group related to the deadly sins from "Dante's Inferno"

Or rather create shinigami swords, who has the power of the different sins.

But I am stuck. The sins that I need a good idea for are lust, gluttony, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery.

(To those of you that don't know bleach, it is basically death gods using swords with special abilities. Like increasing a targets weight by x2 or attack from a shadow etc)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-17, 08:33 PM
What systems?

For general ideas and trying to manatain the shikai power levels (which can vary a lot)

Lust: Some kind of charm like effect? any struck by the sword falls in lust with the wieldier? possibly making them wiling sevants or at the least refraining to attack the wielder?

Gluttony.... siphoning spiritual power and giving it to the wielder?

Heresy.... no idea

Violence: I think a normal melee based zampaktou would suffice, maybe one that becomes sharper, stronger or whatever if it has drawn blood.

treachery... something like Gin's god killing spear (I can't remember the name in japanese.. or even if that is the name of the shikai or bankai) a tricky weapon like a whip that can reverse target or path mid swing?

Something out of the top of my head, and heresy, violence and treachery are not the seven deadly sins, they are Wrath, Envy, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Pride, and Greed. You may have said sins, but the reference to Dante's Inferno made me think you are after the deadly sins.

Half-orc Bard
2010-12-17, 08:41 PM
Heresy a charm effect

Vonotar
2010-12-17, 08:45 PM
Perhaps violence could feature either a compulsion effect to draw the opponent into combat with you (they can't flee, new save each attack?). Don't know how useful that might necessarily be.

Or it could have some kind of 'anti-magic' which allows the user to ignore or not be affected by enemies abilities. When Captain Violence is threatening you, your tricks aren't going to work, you need to bring great force of arms down upon him.

Gluttony, ability to absorb elements, perhaps changeable each round, maybe. Add in extra effect of potions (if they're used in your setting) maybe.

These maybe aren't all that exciting.

Saitox
2010-12-17, 08:50 PM
Well I am assuming that the swords of deadly sins will be weilded by the villain npc's but I could be wrong so please correct me if I am. But if you are going with the names you are using then for fraud I would think using illusory magic like mirror image. And I think Gin's weapon could have like an effect that if you are hit with its piercing thrust tyle move they not only take damage but are considered incapacitated until they either make a save or perhaps just take a move or standard action to remove themselves. I too have been experimenting a little bit with a bleach-esque sword system but my players have yet to hit shikai-esque level. Lemme know what you think so we can trade ideas haha. I find most of my inspiration off dandwiki and just tweak it. I like their vizard rendition. Check it out.

Eldonauran
2010-12-17, 08:53 PM
lust: Definately a charm effect. How extreme is up to you. If rated higher than PG, do you have the BoEF?

gluttony: Vampiric Healing (ie, vampiric touch on a crit, maybe in crease crit range?)

heresy: Temporary alignment effects. Or have it act like a mini-blasphemy / holy word spell

violence: You have to do something like Rage or Frenzy on hit or have the user always in rage/frenzy. Something like that

fraud: Illusions! Mirror Images, glitterdust, something!

treachery: See below quote! Maybe allow it to allow the user to act as if he is flanking with the weapon, but with only one attack during a full attack action! Best yet, allow it to act as if the second attack made with it in a round counts as a flanking hit (+2 to hit, sneak attack enabled!)

something like Gin's god killing spear (I can't remember the name in japanese.. or even if that is the name of the shikai or bankai) a tricky weapon like a whip that can reverse target or path mid swing?

Zen Monkey
2010-12-17, 08:59 PM
Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) had these, and they called them blood swords. Each represented a different sin, and helped the wielder achieve terrible things while warping their personality toward more of that sin. A clan champion used Ambition to assassinate the Emperor. It was invisible but hovering on his back while he was walking innocently through the imperial palace and (in game terms) probably granted huge bonuses to combat during the coup. Maybe yours could give situational bonuses, effectively functioning more or less depending on the circumstances in which they are used. Make them intelligent, if not communicative, and possessing their own agenda. Maybe Greed does nothing to help you save a peasant village, but would be very helpful and happy in killing a merchant's guards.

true_shinken
2010-12-17, 09:02 PM
Gluttony should have a bankai of becoming some kind of beast that swallos people whole.
"Open your mouth" seems like a good activation phrase.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-17, 09:12 PM
for gluttony I would actually go with something like "devour"... and now that I think so... wasn't Glutonerķa (gluttony) the name of one of the Espada? the 9th IIRC.... the two floating head that mascaraed as Kaien Shiba and once ate Metastasi (the hollow that originally ate Kiba)

How can I remember those details, but not his name is beyond me

dgnslyr
2010-12-17, 09:30 PM
For heresy, maybe something that makes the target betray his allies? Like a Confuse effect?

Coidzor
2010-12-17, 09:55 PM
Gluttony should have a bankai of becoming some kind of beast that swallos people whole.
"Open your mouth" seems like a good activation phrase.

"GET IN MAH BELLEH!" Combat Operandi: (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Belly_of_the_Whale) Belly of the (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ps719.gif) Whale (http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=4&p=000774)!

Violence... causes there to be more violence whenever violence is applied? Wielder is immune from immediate death via violence, so that at best, violence can only indirectly causes the demise thereof? Entropy in the area is accelerated when precipitated by violence?

Heresy... Hmm, not board safe to really discuss what it goes back to, but you might want to look into the origins of the idea of heresy to give you some fodder there.

Niro
2010-12-18, 05:09 AM
Ah sweet people that know the bleach universe :D

My main idea was adding some sort of high security prison in the bleach universe and I wanted to create jailors. And I based those jailors after the deadly sins (or so I thought)

The system is a bit mixed since we are using various different homebrews but mainly the Bleach Classless system. Is has your Con score as spell points, and then you buy different thing.

+1 enchantment: 1 pt
+1d6: 1 pt
additional damage type: 1 pt
gain a temp. feat: 2 pt
area of effect (half HD): 3 pt
per level of a psionic effect with caster level equal to character level, no PP cost: 4 pt
Original effect: special

and of course weapon abilities like vorpal, keeen, dancing and such. Vorpal is a +5 enchantment so it would cost 5 points, keen is a +1 so it would be worth 1 point and so on and on

The two swords that I figures out myself were Anger and Greed. Anger would cloud all of the PCs minds and give them a rage like ability and then they would be forced to attack everyone in sight until just one stands left. For Greed I just gave it an ability that allowed it to turn the person it hits into gold (save would nullify this effect)

Lust: I guess I will have to look in the BoEF

Gluttony: Reading all of your entries, I have decided that in shikai, the sword will be able to suck out the spiritual energy of the characters and add them to the wielder

Heresy: I am still needing something god for this one :\

Violence: It shouldn't be that hard creating a combat-based sword. And I liked the part where it gets a buff it if draws blood

Fraud: Illusions and mirror images could be quite fun.

Treachery: The hole "stab the enemy and turn them to your side" seems like a sweet idea. How long would such an effect work? 5 rounds per use?

nyarlathotep
2010-12-18, 06:03 AM
Soon I will be GM'ing a game of Bleach for a couple of friends and I have gotten the idea to create a shinigami group related to the deadly sins from "Dante's Inferno"

Or rather create shinigami swords, who has the power of the different sins.

But I am stuck. The sins that I need a good idea for are lust, gluttony, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery.

(To those of you that don't know bleach, it is basically death gods using swords with special abilities. Like increasing a targets weight by x2 or attack from a shadow etc)

Not to offend but those are not the 7 deadly sins. Those are lust, gluttony, avarice, envy, wrath, sloth, and pride. Heresy and treachery are a part of a different group of sins considered beyond and worse than the 7 deadly sins, and fraud is a specific action that can stem from the sins but is not itself one of them.

Niro
2010-12-18, 06:11 AM
Ah, I guess I should have looked them up on the interwebz instead of consulting a video game :\

Thanks for the information :smallbiggrin:

Saitox
2010-12-18, 06:34 AM
Ah sweet people that know the bleach universe :D

My main idea was adding some sort of high security prison in the bleach universe and I wanted to create jailors. And I based those jailors after the deadly sins (or so I thought)

The system is a bit mixed since we are using various different homebrews but mainly the Bleach Classless system. Is has your Con score as spell points, and then you buy different thing.

+1 enchantment: 1 pt
+1d6: 1 pt
additional damage type: 1 pt
gain a temp. feat: 2 pt
area of effect (half HD): 3 pt
per level of a psionic effect with caster level equal to character level, no PP cost: 4 pt
Original effect: special

and of course weapon abilities like vorpal, keeen, dancing and such. Vorpal is a +5 enchantment so it would cost 5 points, keen is a +1 so it would be worth 1 point and so on and on

The two swords that I figures out myself were Anger and Greed. Anger would cloud all of the PCs minds and give them a rage like ability and then they would be forced to attack everyone in sight until just one stands left. For Greed I just gave it an ability that allowed it to turn the person it hits into gold (save would nullify this effect)

Lust: I guess I will have to look in the BoEF

Gluttony: Reading all of your entries, I have decided that in shikai, the sword will be able to suck out the spiritual energy of the characters and add them to the wielder

Heresy: I am still needing something god for this one :\

Violence: It shouldn't be that hard creating a combat-based sword. And I liked the part where it gets a buff it if draws blood

Fraud: Illusions and mirror images could be quite fun.

Treachery: The hole "stab the enemy and turn them to your side" seems like a sweet idea. How long would such an effect work? 5 rounds per use?

I just thought of for the heresy power why not make him the warden and the power would be like an anti-magic field in a sense. I was thinking that he could make people go against their beliefs in whats been granting them strength so clerics would probably be screwed and warriors take a heavy penalty. Not sure on mechanics yet but the flavor idea just hit me.

Set
2010-12-18, 06:51 AM

For lust, the sword could have a name like Desire or Rapture, and the wielder can move it in a mesmerizing manner that causes a viewer to become fascinated and unable to defend themselves effectively as the wielder walks slowly forward and gets a free sneak attack (which breaks the entrancement). Upon being stabbed by the blade, instead of pain, the wound causes intense pleasure, and the target must make a Fort save or be Fatigued. If he's hit again, he has to save again or become Exhausted, and if hit again while Exhausted, he passes out from incapacitating spasms of pleasure. As long as the wielder carries Rapture, he's immune to effects that cause pain, experiencing instead varying degrees of pleasure, with any pain-inducing effect that would cause penalties instead giving him the benefits of a bless spell for their intended duration, as he gets a pleasant down-low tingle instead.

Gluttony works well with the vampiric touch-inspired effect. Every time it hits, it inflicts +1d6 nonlethal damage, per the starvation rules. As long as any of this damage remains, the target is fatigued from the pangs of hunger. The holder gains hit points back equal to the nonlethal damage inflicted in this manner (*not* the full damage of the hit, just the 1d6 bonus nonlethal 'hunger' damage). If the weilder hasn't fed recently, he's also sated by the act of damaging people in this manner, and he appears flush and 'fat' after dealing significant damage, while the victims of the sword's nonlethal side-effect damage appear to wither and emaciate, with those who die as a result of the sword's effects looking like someone hacked up a person who had already starved to death. As long as he bears Gluttony, the wielder has a +4 bonus to saves vs. ingested poisons or foodbourne illness, and can purify food & drink 3/day. He can also eat and drink ridiculous amounts, more than would seem safe, and while he might become morbidly obese, it never seems to affect his encumbrance, movement rate or blood cholesterol. Heaven forfend he lose the sword, at this point, as he might be minutes away from a heart attack...

Heresy would have some sort of anti-divine magic effect, perhaps unleashing effects like a Bane or Doom spell on those hit, or even a Bestow Curse (on a critical hit), and blessing the wielder whenever he faces a foe who derives their powers from faith (such as a cleric, druid or paladin), perhaps even counting as a Bane weapon vs. divine spell users (and / or granting a +4 to saving throws against divine spells). If he kills a cleric or paladin, etc. with Heresy, he receives a healing effect of 1d6 per divine casting level of the target.

Violence would reward violence, in all it's forms, not just inflicting violence, but also being the target of violence. Whenever the user hits someone, or is hit for hit point damage, he receives the benefits of both Rage and Fast Healing for that round. If somehow prevented from attacking and only being targetted by non-damaging effects, such as a tanglefoot bag, or a web spell, he gains no benefit at all from the sword, which refuses to activate until he can again use it to attack someone (or someone attacks him, at which point it roars back to life, excited by the prospect of new violence). Violence telepathically speaks to it's holder, constantly trying to incite him to violence, and can provide a new saving throw vs. an effect like calm emotions, or a bonus to resist diplomacy, as the blade whispers encouragements to draw it and settle the discussion with bloodshed...

Fraud would resemble something other than a blade, something harmless like a walking stick or riding crop or silk scarf, and the attacks of that 'harmless' item would hurt out of all proportion to it's true nature (double damage, but Will save to disbelieve, as the weapon 'lies' and much of it's damage is phantasmal shadow damage). If the target makes his Will save, he only takes 1/2 the normal damage of the blade (instead of double), but he has to make this save every time Fraud strikes him, as it changes form and appears even more dangerous if the first attack fails, eventually appearing as a ridiculously oversized greatsword, that the wielder shouldn't even be able to lift off of the ground. Fraud also can allow the wielder to make a Will save three times per day to 'disbelieve' a wound, with a DC based on the amount of damage inflicted. If he makes the save, he takes only 20% of the damage of the blow, and he can choose as an immediate action to either make it appear that he shrugged off most of the blow (which he did) or that he suffered full damage and is mightily wounded (which he may wish to do, as part of a bluff).

Treachery would appear to be a slender dagger, but have the reach (and damage) of a longspear. If it hits someone who was not expecting it to have reach, he is treated as flat-footed, and it gets +1d6 sneak attack damage (which stacks with any sneak attack damage that the holder has). A target will not fall for this more than once, but it makes a great conversation starter... If the user is ever in a position where he could sneak attack a foe (flat-footed, surprise round, flanked, etc.), he also gains the +1d6 sneak attack damage, which stacks with any he might have from class levels. The blade rewards such treacherous blows, and every time the user inflicts sneak attack damage, he gains the effects of a bless spell (+1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves vs. fear) and 1 temporary hit points / die of sneak attack damage inflicted (these do not stack with multiple hits, only the highest number counts, although they do stack with other sources of temporary hit points, such as an Aid spell or False Life).

mint
2010-12-18, 07:21 AM
Even if those are not the sins, if you like 'em roll with it.
I think Heresy could turn you into a hollow for a bankai and maybe do cero or give you some other hollow ability for a shikai.
Not like, vizard powers. But old school, gross hollow powers, tentacles and parasites and stuff.

true_shinken
2010-12-18, 07:32 AM
Not like, vizard powers. But old school, gross hollow powers, tentacles and parasites and stuff.
That's espada territory. If this was possible via bankai, there would be no need for them.