PDA

View Full Version : Best Splat Book [3.5]

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-17, 09:16 PM
I'm making a rather late Christmas list, and am wondering which Splat-Book I should ask for.

Thanks in advance, I know I can trust the people around here.

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-17, 09:21 PM
Your family can find 3.5e splat books still??? Really?

Tome of Battle
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-17, 09:21 PM
Depends what you want and what you have.

General god splatbooks regarless play-style

Spell compendium: you casters will love it
Magic Item Compendium: EVERYONE will love it
ToBBo9S: Highly polarizing, but IMHO opinion one of the best purchases ever.
Eberron Campaign setting: Magicpunk nough said (and I am a fanboy of it, but whatever)
ToM: Great options here for people who want to play magic characters without all the hassle of other spellcasting classes.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-17, 09:26 PM
Your family can find 3.5e splat books still??? Really?

Tome of Battle
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium

There's this thing called Amazon and eBay. You know?

EDIT: Sorry if that came off as rude.

Bakkan
2010-12-17, 09:34 PM
Just want to cast another vote for the Tome of Battle: the Book of Nine Swords, as long as you have characters who like playing martial or ninja-type characters. Barring ToB, my next suggestions would be Magic Item Compendium or Player's Handbook 2.

Scorpions__
2010-12-17, 09:36 PM
There are indeed places that are whispered of in only the softest of tones nowadays... stores where 3.5 still thrives...

I came upon such a place in Toronto just a few weeks ago, had a nerd heart-attack when I walked in the back room and saw the stacks of discounted 3.5 merchandise... It was beautiful.

Good splat books...

Dragon Magic if you like subsystems and want a little something draconic for all of them.

Magic of Incarnum for something completely different.

Dragon Compendium, because of... a lot of things, alchemy, feats, classes, and Dungeon Master advice, so much good stuff in that book.

Dragon Compendium

Dragon Compendium

Dragon Compendium...

DM[F]R

Grynning
2010-12-17, 09:42 PM
Spell compendium. It's really hard to find and the most expensive one still available online, so if you're getting as a gift, that's the one to ask for.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-17, 09:50 PM
Spell compendium. It's really hard to find and the most expensive one still available online, so if you're getting as a gift, that's the one to ask for.

Considering the price (and the fact that I have some spending money of my own) I think I shall not as for that particular itema as a gift.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-17, 10:26 PM
Tome of Magic.

Because the fluff is awesome.

true_shinken
2010-12-17, 10:30 PM
Magic Item Compendium > Spell Compendium > Tome of Battle.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-17, 10:40 PM
Well, to help narrow down your criteria, here's a few questions:

Are you primarily a player, or a DM?
If you're a player, what's you favorite/least favorite class?
If you're a DM, do you use a published setting?
What books do you already own?

So far, the only book that I know is a guaranteed, never-fail crowd-pleaser is the Magic Item Compendium. I've never seen someone dislike that book. That's my 2cp.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-12-17, 10:46 PM
Expanded Psionics Handbook, baby!

Also, grab Lords of Madness. Yog-Sothoth commands it.

woodenbandman
2010-12-17, 11:16 PM
I like magic of incarnum, mostly for the totemist class. The incarnate class needs... something else to it, but the totemist is AWESOME. And the prestige classes are cool too.

Tome of Battle is awesome

Tome of Magic - awesome

I've heard that hyperconscious (technically 3rd party) is awesome if allowed.

imperialspectre
2010-12-17, 11:27 PM
Magic Item Compendium > Tome of Battle > Spell Compendium. One is good for everyone, the next is good for the characters who need the most help, the last is good for the characters who don't need any help but like the extra tricks.

Lord.Sorasen
2010-12-17, 11:30 PM
My personal favorites are Book of Exalted Deeds and Expanded Psionics handbook, but I understand that I am weird.

Vistella
2010-12-18, 04:57 AM
Book of Erotic Fantasy

(someone had to say it)

true_shinken
2010-12-18, 07:08 AM
Magic Item Compendium > Tome of Battle > Spell Compendium. One is good for everyone, the next is good for the characters who need the most help, the last is good for the characters who don't need any help but like the extra tricks.

I disagree. Spell Compendium is very very very good for Rangers and Paladins and they could use the help.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-18, 08:10 AM
Are you primarily a player, or a DM?

DM (not a very good one mind in my opinion).

If you're a player, what's you favorite/least favorite class?

Currently I'm not, but my players are: A Dwarf Fighter, Gnome Cleric, Elf Anarch and Elf Sorcerer.

If you're a DM, do you use a published setting?

Nope. I like World Building.

What books do you already own?

Complete Divine, Scoundrel, and Warrior. Also the Hordes of the Abyss.

So far, the only book that I know is a guaranteed, never-fail crowd-pleaser is the Magic Item Compendium. I've never seen someone dislike that book. That's my 2cp.

And it is very much appreciated. As is everyone elses.

mint
2010-12-18, 08:43 AM
ToB is probably the book that will be able to change your table the most.
Unless you get hung up on the fluff, it introduces a lot of options for martial characters.

Both magic item compendium and Spell Compendium rock.

S4V4X4NDER
2010-12-18, 08:54 AM
PHB2 has a quick npc creation guide in it.

Maybe one of the environmental ones such as sandstorm. if your campaign primarily takes place in one of those areas.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-18, 09:18 AM
PHB2 has a quick npc creation guide in it

Why? Shouldn't that be the DMG2?

IcarusWings
2010-12-18, 09:44 AM
As a player I;d go for any of Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, or Magic of Incarnum. But I don't know about from a GM's perspective.

TehLivingDeath
2010-12-18, 10:02 AM
The Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic.

I kid, I kid... ToB is awsome. Since your players are already set, Magic Item Compendium is by far the best choice available. If you go through a party overhaul at any time, any book that introduces or develops Tier 3 classes would probably help out a lot too.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-18, 10:04 AM

I kid, I kid... ToB is awsome. Since your players are already set, Magic Item Compendium is by far the best choice available. If you go through a party overhaul at any time, any book that introduces or develops Tier 3 classes would probably help out a lot too.

They're only 1st level, so they can be overhauled whenever.

Scorpions__
2010-12-18, 01:07 PM
Dragon Compendium is a solid choice for most any dungeoner.

There's a good chance Arguskos just read this and now has to read the book cover to cover just for the intense feeling of joy that Dragon Compendium brings to its True Believers.

DM[F]R

Akal Saris
2010-12-18, 03:13 PM
As a PC, I've found that Tome of Battle was my favorite single book, followed by Complete Scoundrel.

As a DM, I think that Frostburn, Sandstorm, and Stormwrack have been my favorites - each of them can be easily used to build up a themed campaign, and they each come with a small module as well, which I haven't used yet.

Rob Roy
2010-12-18, 04:50 PM
Book of Erotic Fantasy

(someone had to say it)
It's more fun when used with Savage Species!
Note, I don't actually endorse using SS and BoEF in the same game, or using BoEF, ever.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-18, 05:21 PM
I guess it depends on what you want. All in all though, I agree with the recommendations for Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium. Both are fun books that will add a lot to the game if used well.

AslanCross
2010-12-18, 05:33 PM

Tome of Battle is great for multiclassing. It's probably the single best supplement for multiclassing.