PDA

View Full Version : Holy, Unholy, and... what?

rubycona
2010-12-17, 10:56 PM
Question. A cleric (paladin, etc etc) of a good god is Holy, a cleric of an evil god is Unholy... so what would be a way to describe a cleric of a neutral god? They're just as dedicated to their own ideals, namely neutrality, as one of good or evil.

Any thoughts? Or do you just have neutral worshipers not get an adjective?

Sucrose
2010-12-17, 11:00 PM
It's really rather uncommon for an entity in 3.5 (or, for that matter, much of heroic fantasy) to be devoted to neutrality, largely because such a belief system is pretty inconsistent.

As such, they'd have qualities of what they actually believe in.

Law: Axiomatic
Chaos: Anarchic
Spitefulness: Vicious
Luddism: Magebane

And so on.

For those that actually do cling to their neutrality rather than some other aspect of their doctrine, I do not believe that there is any particular adjective, other than perhaps 'lunatic'.

Edit: Misread the OP.

Godskook
2010-12-17, 11:00 PM
Balanced, perhaps?

shadow_archmagi
2010-12-17, 11:06 PM
Well, technically "Holy" just means "Related to god" so you could still have the Holy Neutral Empire.

That said, most of the Neutral gods arn't so much Gods of Neutrality as Gods of Stuff that don't take much interest in good or evil.

It's more like the God of Magic, or Screwdrivers. The God of Screwdrivers isn't going to shout "NEUTRALITY MUST BE ENFORCED! I REQUIRE ADDITIONAL APATHY, MAYBE."

HunterOfJello
2010-12-17, 11:11 PM
I really like Zeal's Expanded Alignment System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7577205) where a truly holy paladin is Exalted instead of just Good and a truly terrible Lich may be Vile instead of just Evil.

ericgrau
2010-12-17, 11:13 PM
We call them hippy druids :P.

Hmm, actually if you're not fighting for an alignment then you're not fighting for an alignment, neither good nor evil. Most gods don't fight for neutrality. You're fighting for something else. See what the god likes and go with that.

Salanmander
2010-12-17, 11:41 PM
Fighting for balance is a not-uncommon stance, especially in fantasy settings. In most instances I've seen that it would probably be Lawful Neutral, and thus you could have a Cleric of Order, or somesuch.

Elric VIII
2010-12-17, 11:59 PM
Just a note, when dealing with alignment-specific bonuses, usually Good and Neutral are lumped together under the type "sacred," whereas Evil is usually "Profane." Some examples are the devotion feats from Complete Champion, and a few other divine feats that I can't seem to recall off the top of my head.

EDIT: I was thinking of Imbued Healing, but that's also from CC. There are many feats that use this wording in CC, but I'm not sure if this comes up in other sources.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-12-18, 12:48 AM
Well, technically "Holy" just means "Related to god"
Not in D&D, the words holy and unholy have different meanings.

rubycona
2010-12-18, 03:42 AM
I decided to go with "divine." He's a divine cleric >.> There we go.

I suppose it works to lump good and neutral into "holy" to some degree, though Vukodlak, imo, is right that holy and unholy have very specific meanings.

The god in particular is Pharasma, in Pathfinder, the God(ess?) of Death, Fate, Prophecy, and Birth (domains healing, knowledge, death, repose, and water, and maybe another one), true neutral. Seems to me to be a dedicated to the balance of life kind of god.

Eh, I suppose it's just fluff anyway, but I do loves my descriptions. *considers* It won't hurt anything to call him a "holy man." The players will run with it.

Thanks.

Fizban
2010-12-18, 06:23 AM
Following a great alignment article over at The Escapist, I'd refer to a person "dedicated" to neutrality as "reasonable." They look out for themselves without stepping on others, they take whatever path seems best weather with or against the rules. For a weapon property of +2 worth they might use Collision: a flat, reliable chunk of bonus damage.

Prime32
2010-12-18, 11:20 AM
Just a note, when dealing with alignment-specific bonuses, usually Good and Neutral are lumped together under the type "sacred," whereas Evil is usually "Profane." Some examples are the devotion feats from Complete Champion, and a few other divine feats that I can't seem to recall off the top of my head.There are good-aligned abilities that deals sacred damage, evil-aligned ones that deal profane damage. The nonspecific ones deal divine damage.