PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions on Wizard PrCs

Vemynal
2010-12-18, 02:30 AM
The Pale Master, Blood Magus and Master Transmogrifist

I was wondering what everyone thought of these three classes (Note: not in comparison to each other but rather separately)

What are some cool tricks these PrC's allow a wizard to preform? Anything broken I should watch out for?

I also remember reading somewhere on these boards that Master Transmogrifist wasn't that good/was broken (as in doesn't work appropriately). Is this simply because since you lose 4 levels in casting that you won't get 9th level spells?

I'm just curious because I love the fluff for each of these three classes and it seems like they all come with some interesting class abilities. I was considering playing one of these or using them as possible main npc's in a campaign.

Thank you =D

Godskook
2010-12-18, 02:40 AM
1.Pale Master is a +1 tier class, and Blood Magus is a +0, and Master Transmogrifist is a -1, according to Zeal's tier list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107618).

2.Generally speaking, classes work better for NPCs than they do for PCs, especially in groups built to support them. A dragonfire bard is a powerful ally to martial characters, but weaker when he's only got BFC or debuff wizards in his party.

I'm not directly familiar with any of the classes, so I'll leave it at that.

WinWin
2010-12-18, 02:43 AM
Pale Master. Decent for an arcane necromancer that wants to create an army. Some of the class features are bad, but others are decent. OK for a themed build, certainly not going to hurt you beyond the 1st level.

Blood Magus. In theory this class has some cool abilities, the practicality of those abilities varies depending on the game. the 3.0 Tome and Blood version was much, much better. The main deterrent is having to die and the shocking prerequisite feats. I would suggest using Azure Toughness (MoI) instead of toughness. Worth a dip if you meet the prereqs or are building a themed character. In certain campaigns, where magical items are commonly lost, stolen or destroyed and the party get's punked at every turn, blood magus may be decent. Otherwise, don't bother.

Master Transmogrophist. Read the description of Shapechange. You lose this spell by taking this class. It makes you worse at shapechanging. For that reason, it is bad.

Grendus
2010-12-18, 02:47 AM
Pale master: not much better than a regular wizard, but no worse. You lose 1 caster level, but you get some useful abilities so it's about even. They make great bbeg's though, since they have a reason for having a real army of the dead, not just a little squad.

Dunno the others.