PDA

View Full Version : Durations of Shadow Illusion Spells

Matamane
2010-12-18, 08:31 AM
I was wondering what the duration of a Shadow Craft Mage's Shadow Illusion spell would be. Would it use the duration of the spell it is mimicking, or the duration of the figment spell used?

If the former, would I need to maintain concentration on mimicked spells?

If the latter, what is the case with most instantaneous evocation spells?

nargbop
2010-12-18, 09:31 AM
In cases of multiple possible durations, I always assume the shorter duration.

I mean, the Shadowcraft Mage has got to have some drawback. :)

The instant evocation spells last for an instant. You do not need to make Concentration checks for them.

If you want to maintain control over a spell cast in a previous round, however, you do need to make that Concentration check. I would suggest learning the spell Sonorous Hum, or having the DM houserule that they'll keep acting predictably.

Matamane
2010-12-18, 09:36 AM
I was wondering if I could maintain multiple black blade of disasters through programmed image since it has no concentration. Ergo, if I spend 2 9th level slots I can have two going at the same time and still use a silent image summon monster spell

molten_dragon
2010-12-18, 10:31 AM
Well, it's a bit unclear by RAW actually. The Shadow Illusion ability that a shadowcraft mage gets specifically states that illusions altered by it work identically to a shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, with the exception of what percentage real it is, and what level spell you can mimic with it.

If you look at shadow conjuration and shadow evocation, the duration for both spells says 'See text'. However, the text does not explicitly state what the duration is. It does strongly imply that the duration is the same as the spell being mimicked though.

Shadow conjuration can mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning) or conjuration (creation) spell of 3rd level or lower...

Shadow objects or substances have normal effects except against those who disbelieve them.

Matamane
2010-12-18, 10:40 AM
Apparently it foollows the duration of the spell being mimicked.

Arcane Disciple(Craft), Arcane Disciple(Gnome) and Arcane Disciple(Creation) are looking much better.

molten_dragon
2010-12-18, 10:51 AM
Apparently it foollows the duration of the spell being mimicked.

Arcane Disciple(Craft), Arcane Disciple(Gnome) and Arcane Disciple(Creation) are looking much better.

If you're going that route, then Arcane Disciple (Luck) blows them out of the water.

Matamane
2010-12-18, 11:32 AM
I would, but I'm actually friends with my DM

Gabe the Bard
2010-12-18, 12:56 PM
I agree, the figments should use the same rules as the shadow conjuration and evocation spells, so their durations should be the same as the spell they are mimicking.