PDA

View Full Version : Versatile Spellcaster

S4V4X4NDER
2010-12-18, 09:22 AM
I have a few questions about the feat versatile spellcaster from RotD.

1) can 2 level 0 spells be used to cast a 1st level spell?

2) can 2 1st levels and a 2nd level be used to cast a 3rd level spell?

3) can i use 2 1st level wizard spells to cast a 2nd level wizard spells? if so could that spell be any 2nd level wizard spell i have in my spellbook?

4) can i use two 1st level wizard spells to cast a 2nd level sorcerer spell or vice versa or a mixture of both?

Ryuk01
2010-12-18, 09:31 AM
I think the wording is quite straightforward. "You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher."

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) This feat is for spontaneous casters, not spellcasters that prepare spells.
4) No.

Last Laugh
2010-12-18, 10:05 AM
3) can i use 2 1st level wizard spells to cast a 2nd level wizard spells? if so could that spell be any 2nd level wizard spell i have in my spellbook?

Sortof I remember someone pointing out that Versatile caster allows you to cast any spell you know of one higher level. So an Ultimate Magus (sorc/Wizard PrC) could sacrifice two level 0 sorc spells to cast any level 1 spell in their spellbook.

very powerful interpretation, I'd keep it to casting from the same class

dextercorvia
2010-12-18, 01:23 PM

3) This feat is for spontaneous casters, not spellcasters that prepare spells.

This feat is probably intended for classes that primarily cast spells spontaneously, but there are several ways that prepared casters can cast spells spontaneously. For wizards, this is usually accomplished by the Spontaneous Divination (CC) ACF or one of the feats Alacritous Cogitation (CM), or Uncanny Forethought (EoE). Any spell a wizard has entered into his spellbook is a spell that he knows, so a wizard with one of the above can take and benefit from Versatile Spellcaster. Note: Your DM may require you to leave the spell slots empty to benefit from it, but that is a small price to pay.