PDA

View Full Version : DnD- Looking for help starting

Bothi
2010-12-18, 10:57 AM
I've never played Dungeons and Dragons, but I'd like to start. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should buy to get started. Any help is appreciated.

Kaww
2010-12-18, 12:21 PM
Well first of do you want to be a GM or a player?

If first than the three core books are essential (Players handbook, Monster Manual and DM's Guide). Outside of core most people use the Complete xxxxx series. Tome of Battle (Book of nine swords) is there to balance the fighters and casters. If you want to play just for fun, without munchkins, core books are enough for a pleasant gaming experience. If you are playing with veteran players they should have their own books and you, as a DM, are allowed to check anything they bring to the table. Also if you are going to make a game with environmental theme (mountains, deserts, open sea) you have books that cover this too.

If you want to be a player you need PHB^, DMG^, a Complete xxxxx book that fits your character might be desirable too.

You may find more info on books here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page).

Again Core books are the only (so-so) required book you need.

P.S. Welcome to the club.

EDIT: Idiot (me) you need to buy a set of dice...

Bothi
2010-12-18, 12:27 PM
Thanks a ton

woodenbandman
2010-12-18, 12:49 PM
you are referring to 3.5 right? because in 4.0 pretty much everything is balanced. Pretty much.

Kylarra
2010-12-18, 12:53 PM
Well first of do you want to be a GM or a player?
No, the first question is "what edition are you looking to play?"

Kaww
2010-12-18, 12:55 PM
Yes, sorry, when someone says DND I hear 3.5... :smallwink:
I find it the best the franchise has to offer...
EDIT: By this I mean it's best for me and my group.

Bothi
2010-12-18, 04:44 PM
I did mean 3.5, because from what I've heard, 4 sucks.

Kylarra
2010-12-18, 04:53 PM
I did mean 3.5, because from what I've heard, 4 sucks.:smallyuk:

4th edition functions just fine as a game. It has its flaws, but so does every other game. Frankly, buying into internet hype without trying the game is just doing yourself a disservice.