PDA

View Full Version : Effective Thrown Weapon Enchantments

Darwin
2010-12-18, 01:07 PM
Fellow Playgrounders hear me out. I am currently playing a Bloodstorm Blade with the Lightning Richochet ability that bounces his thrown weapons back to him immediately, making it worthwhile to keep at least one enchanted dagger at hand.
I've come to realize that I haven't played a character who deals damage by the use of his weapons for a very, very long time. The game is a 2-man Gestalt RhoD run and our DM is quite capable of challenging us, therefore I'm looking for some worthwhile enchantments to throw on my dagger. Any WotC releases are available. :smallbiggrin:

Devmaar
2010-12-18, 01:59 PM
Returning. Without it you need to carry enough a number of daggers equal to your attacks-per-round x the number-of rounds-you-expect-each-battle-to-last

Shyftir
2010-12-18, 02:04 PM
Devmaar you missed the statement that he is a Bloodstorm Blade, they get free returning.

First off, don't use a dagger, as a blood storm blade you can throw any melee weapon you want. Go with a nice big two-hand weapon. All the classic weapon enchants work well for you, the various elemental damage enchants, Bane, an alignment enchant if that suit your style, keen, vorpal, they are all good choices.

Popertop
2010-12-20, 01:59 AM
so if a weapon has returning,
you can use only one for your full thrown weapon attack iteratives?
you don't need any others?

are there any enchantments that are especially good on a thrown weapon?[ie. better than normal]

Urpriest
2010-12-20, 02:06 AM
so if a weapon has returning,
you can use only one for your full thrown weapon attack iteratives?
you don't need any others?

No. Returning makes a weapon return the next round, which means you need one weapon per iterative. That's why the OP isn't using Returning, he's using Bloodstorm Blade, which does work with iteratives.

A Bloodstorm Blade can throw Kukris, and throwing builds are good at getting giant piles of attacks...how about Keen+Collision?

Godskook
2010-12-20, 02:38 AM
Collision - Is good for an all-around enchantment. +5 damage for a +2 bonus. Is competitive with most dice enchantments cause its flat(and thus gets multiplied by things like crits), is consistent(no 1's!), and doesn't add any new vulnerability to the weapon(like most energy enchantments). Not the enchantment for a hi-roller, but if you like to play it safe, this one is good.

Bane(Goblinoid) - A really good enchantment for RHOD, and you probably have good reason to throw this on a weapon.

Bane(Dragon) - Not a very common type, but it'll be there when you need it most.

Magebane - Like Bane(Dragon), but won't work on the early dragons but *will* work on quite a few other enemies. A competitive option, but not wholly consistent.

Spell Storing - Can be *REALLY* good, but if you're in a low-magic party, maybe not.

Vicious - The backlash isn't great, but if you've got good healing or another echantment to back it up, this is probably your single-best enchantment, but only cause it'll work on the non-goblins

Holy - Conveniently, almost everything is [Evil], so this'll probably trigger more often than Bane will.

+1dx energy - I'm not a fan of these, and its worse in RHoD, imho. Still, they warrant mentioning. Avoid the d4 versions, cause Collision would deal the same average damage, with no muss or fuss.

Spellstrike - If you have cheap magic items(artificer, perhaps) or greater magic wepaon, this one has potential on the defensive side. Activation doesn't even require you to 'wield' the weapon, which is kinda odd, but ok. I suggest you check with your DM so you both agree how it works before you consider it.

That should give you something to work with.

Loki Eremes
2010-12-20, 02:44 AM
mmmmm

One of my friends plays a master thrower. he has lots of trouble when overcoming DR.

For this you can use METALLINE From Magic Item Compendium.
Lets you change the material (adamantine, cold iron, etc) of your weapon

Jota
2010-12-20, 03:35 AM
Discipline enchantments. Notably Tiger Claw if you plan on being in Blood in the Water for most of the time, but Iron Heart and White Raven (depends on your maneuver selection, really) might be solid choices as well.

Darwin
2010-12-20, 06:29 AM
Goblinbane sounds extraordinarily attractive in this setting by now. We've had our second session and it's becoming quite apparent what the main threat is composed of :smallbiggrin: