PDA

View Full Version : what type of campaign is your favorite?

randomhero00
2010-12-18, 01:11 PM
As in, high magic, low magic, low levels, high levels, mid levels, low wealth, high wealth, E6, dangerous world (more high level npcs), mostly low level npcs, sandbox, plot hook/railroad, long in game time (as in months and years might go by) etc.

Personally I like high wealth, but wealth that can be stolen once in awhile. It get's players to invest in things more realistically instead of carting around a ton of gold (such as trying to start some sort of business.)

I like long term games, where the characters age and make friends, enemies, lovers, have kids, etc.

I like low magic for sure, high magic just breaks things too easily.

I like mid levels, 4-11 or so.

I prefer the more realistic, low level mortal npcs. Like most guards are between 1-3. Not that there aren't dangerous things out there like dragons, but the world isn't filled with them.

However I like a dangerous game, so when we do face something its an epic battle we might lose.

I also like player world building, that is, them making their own towns, building roads, making alliances, raising armies, etc.

I must prefer free will/sandbox type games. It rewards the players cleverness.

edit: oh and I also prefer low magic equipment as well. Like its very rare to ever buy anything from a town that's above +1.

Saint GoH
2010-12-18, 01:23 PM
High Everything really.

I've played waaaaaay too much Neverwinter Nights 2 (and all its expansions) so going back to the really low magic, low wealth, low power campaigns kill me. I prefer around lvl 10-15 (that's when most of my builds hit their "sweet spot") and I don't mind there being a lot of other high level npc's walking around. Someone has to keep the PC's in line.

High wealth, high magic, high power, high danger, you name it I want it up there. Don't get me wrong building alliances and trade routes and what not is all good, but sometimes I just want to fight that draco-lich while flying upside down on my own dragon.

Telasi
2010-12-18, 01:26 PM
I prefer lower levels, plenty of magic in the world but not sold in shops, long-term campaigns with running plot sections, generally poorer PCs, and a dangerous campaign.

Yora
2010-12-18, 01:36 PM
I love campaigns with heavy emphasis on the story, which preferedly involves the player characters a lot.
Just fighting against monsters, getting treasue, and becoming more powerful doesn't do it for me.

Making choices and dealing with the consequences is the most interesting part of the game to me.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-18, 01:54 PM
Making choices and dealing with the consequences is the most interesting part of the game to me.

Have you played Exalted? This right here is pretty much the entire point of the setting.

DisgruntledDM
2010-12-18, 02:06 PM
Low magic, definitely.

Matamane
2010-12-18, 02:34 PM
Political intrigue, diplomacy and high level roleplaying

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-18, 02:39 PM
I would LOVE to run a game like that! I have tried! However if your players are apathetic munchkins......

Kaww
2010-12-18, 03:01 PM
Personally as long as I ether laugh till I cry or get to hear a good story I don't care about most details...

akma
2010-12-18, 04:00 PM
Plot driven adventures.

Rob Roy
2010-12-18, 04:02 PM
Freeform sandboxes where the players are free to do as they want.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-18, 04:57 PM
I feel like I am having an effect, like I am part of the world, not just some rich hobo who everyone sends on fetch quests to collect bear bums.
I like titles and relationships with NPC as much as I like loot and shineys.
I like high magic where magic is used creatively, not just copy and pasted in. I like low magic, where every +1 sword has a name and back story. I like magical magic, mysterious and dangerous, I like magic being used as part of the technological fabric of a society.
I hate dying, though I am very good at it. I hate having to re-immerse myself into a world.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-12-18, 04:58 PM
I think 3.5's sweet spot is in levels 8-10, maybe up to level 12 if you're not trying to break the game. I like low magic fantasy with a highly developed background world. I roleplay (in part) to try and get a feel for what it's really like to cross a hundred miles of wilderness on foot, sleeping in a bedroll in the rain, scaling cliffs and hunting for the next night's meal. I like trying to develop cultures and communities that feel fleshed out and alive, using the best of my knowledge about pre-industrial societies.

I would love, if anyone in my group would ever tolerate this, trying to run the business of adventuring. Weighing the advantages and disadvantages of wagons vs animal caravans, expenses and supplies, navigating terrain, all that can be as interesting to me as slaying a dragon. (Actually I don't even like dragons; fantastic creatures alright, but the classical winged dragon just looks silly to me).

randomhero00
2010-12-19, 07:50 PM
I would LOVE to run a game like that! I have tried! However if your players are apathetic munchkins......

Who is this in reference too, out of curiosity?

arpin
2010-12-19, 11:26 PM
In essence, I like any campaign that has real thought in it, whether that be tactical, negotiation-oriented, or coming up with insane ideas and good jokes.

I'm usually a DM.

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 11:29 PM
I like scoundrel games in the mid levels.

Flickerdart
2010-12-19, 11:30 PM
You are 20th level, the universe has declared war on you.

Go.

Alleran
2010-12-20, 01:22 AM
Sandbox, generally. I'm currently DMing a Star Wars SAGA game (sandbox, Rebellion Era SpecOps team) and a Forgotten Realms 3.5 game (also sandbox, players are between 10th-12th level or so). Sandbox is something that I find takes a lot more work and much more "inventing on the fly" in some cases, but infinitely more rewarding when you're all having fun.

*.*.*.*
2010-12-20, 01:39 AM
You are 20th level, the universe has declared war on you.

Go.

+1

I've never played epics but I absolutely love levels 10+

Halae
2010-12-20, 01:50 AM
I like things that are well thought out. I don't terribly mind if the combat is poorly done and the plot is nice, or if combat is done tactically and intuitively while the plot is basic, but it needs at least one good thing about it, or it falls flat for me. I have to admit, it's pretty awesome to get all of it, but honsetly, that rarely happens

Mastikator
2010-12-20, 01:57 AM
Low magic, low level, mid wealth, low tech (maybe medieval society coexisting with hunter gatherer society), gritty (but not heartless). Political intrigue interests me, as does exploration and crafting/building.
I prefer there to not be a BBEG, rather opposing sides (many) and none of them are clearly in the wrong, but there is no easy solution.
I like it when magic is a spice to the game, not an ingredient, maybe a magic item could exist but it'd be rare and its powers wouldn't be obvious. And maybe the only one nearby who knows anything about magic is a savage who lives in the wilds.

LordBlades
2010-12-20, 02:41 AM
I prefer high magic and high wealth, but have no problem either way as long as the world is well built.

For lvls, I prefer 5-15. Lower than that and it's too random (living/dying it's too much in the dice rolls, and you can't do anything about it at that level). higher than that, game turns into 'win initiative or die' between spelclasters.

Also, I like worlds with their own agenda, where things don't revolve around the PCs, but rather stuff's happening, and it's up to the PCs where they decide to intervene, and on whose side. Also, no clear 'good' and 'evil

Gnaritas
2010-12-20, 03:47 AM
I like long term games, where the characters age and make friends, enemies, lovers, have kids, etc.

This sounds great, but how should i look at this? Do the characters have a quest finish it, then the game fast forwards 10 years and they have another quest? Because in most D&D games characters actually die, and the past year we have played a campaign that in game has lasted...2 months or so at max. Most have died, some more then once.

I like low magic for sure, high magic just breaks things too easily.

I like mid levels, 4-11 or so.

Me too!

I prefer the more realistic, low level mortal npcs. Like most guards are between 1-3. Not that there aren't dangerous things out there like dragons, but the world isn't filled with them.

Me too, but it became problematic. In my campaign the party started out as level 6 and guards/soldiers as level 3. But now that they are level 11, i upped the guards to level 4 and on more occassions than before do they meet a talented captain or so.

However I like a dangerous game, so when we do face something its an epic battle we might lose.

This doesn't go well with the "long term" game with kids and all, doesn't sound like you survive that long in a dangerous game.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-20, 04:07 AM
I like plot-heavy games, with an overarching story arc and lots of roleplaying and interaction between the PCs and NPCs. I like combat, but it feels pointless without a story and roleplaying backing it up.