PDA

View Full Version : Don't Split the Party: Deleted Scene

MoonCat
2010-12-18, 10:27 PM
Since for each comic we have a discussion thread, I thought we could make an unofficial one for anything we'd like to discuss in "Elan's Underwater Adventure"

I have some questions for instance. What was the secondary mission?
What was the larger sea monster, and what did it mean? And who thinks that the Giant was making fun of all the people who thought that Lien and Hinjo were going to become a match? Anything else?

SPoD
2010-12-18, 10:41 PM
What was the secondary mission?

To watch Elan and see if the mysterious purple ninja (that is, Therkla) contacted him while he was away from the ship. Exactly what they were trying to do later when they were disguised as trees on the island.

What was the larger sea monster, and what did it mean?

It's the ancient black dragon that attacks Vaarsuvius, hanging around the fleet and waiting for an opportunity to attack. This one is actually answered by Rich when in the commentary; he says that the scene foreshadows a villain's appearance, and there's only one big black monster that can make itself disappear that shows up later.

In other words, the unanswered questions from this mini-arc are all answered within the same book, it's just that if you go right to the bonus scene and read only those pages because they're the new stuff, it loses the context of what was going on at that time.

And who thinks that the Giant was making fun of all the people who thought that Lien and Hinjo were going to become a match?

Me. At one point, many posters swore up and down that Lien's only possible purpose for inclusion in the story was to serve as a love interest to Hinjo. I think that last strip was definitely aimed at them.