PDA

View Full Version : Household Gods

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-19, 12:59 AM
Alright, am currently working on a PrC that can basically call forth 'small gods' to guard households. They are generally invisible to all but those with 'second sight', a new feat I'm working on. They also cannot truly be killed or destroyed without special spells I'm also writing.

To summon a small god you must build a small altar or craft an idol of the spirit and place it in an open place of reverence.

You then leave an Offering. If the offering is accepted the household gains the Benefit. You can attempt to gain special favor from the 'god' by a Pleasantry. The latter can be an object of worth, a specific action, or similar.

Here is what I have so far. Am open to critiques, and especially suggestions on additional 'gods'.

Brownie
A tiny man in finely crafted brown clothes steps out of the wardrobe.
Offering: A bowl of porridge with honey each night.
Benefit: A home that has a brownie dwelling within will find that nearly nothing breaks. He will spend the night repairing and fortifying the home and its goods. Everything in the home has its hardness increased by 2 each night. Glass no longer breaks easily, nor do items rust or rot. Such spells as Wood Rot or Rusting Grasp, or any ability that degrades or decreases an object's hardness, automatically fail. They may also use Mending at will.
Pleasantry: If a chair is left unused by any house member or guest, specifically set out for the brownie to sit upon, it will weave an entire garment, stitch a pair of boots, or in some way craft an article of clothing. These are considered masterwork garments, and those that wear them gain a +2 bonus to Charisma-based checks. They do not stain or easily tear. They grant a +1 bonus to armor, though can be worn with other armor and the benefits stack.

Cronemother
A knock on the door and a wracking cough sounds outside and a tall, wrinkled woman with warts and a shawl asks if she can come in.
Offering: A warm place to sleep for the night.
Benefit: A cronemother allowed within will lend a hand within the home. For as long as she stays there is always enough clean water left to satisfy the household and just enough oats to make a nourishing gruel. If the excess gruel or water is sold it immediately turns to phlegm. However, if it is given to others in need, the one who gave up their share will find a tasty cake or bit of smoky meat in their pocket. Those that give away their meal for the treat however find the cronemother has spat within it instead.
Pleasantry: If one leaves tobacco for the cronemother's pipe each night for a week, at the end of that week the nightly meal acts and tastes as a Heroes Feast.

Dirwergen
Loud psalms and endless stomping and banging sounds from the darkest places of the home.
Offering: A bowl of strong ginger beer
Benefit: Dirwergens hate darkness and haunted silences. Shadows seems less dark and threatening with the dirwergen about. There is no true darkness, even the deepest shadows becoming as dim illumination. His voice dispels silence and darkness effects if he succeeds on an opposed caster level check. However, listen checks are made at a -4 penalty.
Pleasantry: A Dirwergen loves music or a good chat. If you spend an hour each day in conversation and/or performing the Dirwergen will ward the house against creatures from the Plane of Shadow. Outsiders with the evil alignment are deafened and may not possess any item or being. Nor may ghosts, who cannot manifest within such a home, being forced to remain within the Ethereal Plane.

Domovoi
A hairy man covered in ashes rises from the coals of the hearth.
Offering: Bread in a bowl of milk every morning.
Benefit: All within the home are effected as by an Endure Elements spell, which seems to be toasty warm year round, but never above or below comfort. Creatures with the cold subtype cannot enter a house tended by a domovoi. The Goodwife or owner of the home may lift the protection to allow such a creature within, but the domovoi will leave and cannot be enticed to return for 24 hours. Spells with the cold descriptor can be cast at only half caster level. As well, there is a 20% chance that any such spell fizzles uselessly.
Pleasantry: As long as no flame is ever extinguished in the house a Domovoi can be called to tell of an event destined to occur within the home, or to a resident or guest to the home, once a day by staring into the flames. This prediction is only good out to 1d4 days. If a specially seasoned log costing 50 gp is provided he may use Augery.

Dove of Peace
A small white doves flies out from amongst the rafters.
Offering: A mirror set high on the wall.
Benefit: Whenever an argument begins, or a fight starts all within the home are effected as by Calm Emotions. As well, if anything as loud as a shout occurs the individual is affect as by a silence spell until they lower their voice.
Pleasantry: A dove of peace dislikes even the hint of aggression or violence. If the inhabitants of the homes forgoes eating any meat they will guard the home from attack. Those that venture within with violent intent fall asleep. This sleep lasts as long as they are within the home. The sleeping individual is protected from harm as well.

Dreamcatcher
A monstrous weaver spider crawls out from under the bed and begins weaving a web.
Offering: A wedge of blue cheese every night.
Benefit: Fear effects do not function within a home guarded by a dreamcatcher. This does not include Intimidate checks. As well, creatures associated with bad dreams, such as a Night Hag or Quori are warded from entering. Unpleasant dream-based spells, such as Nightmare, cannot reach one sleeping beneath a dreamcatcher's web.
Pleasantry: If offered silver sand a dreamweaver will listen to your dreams and give you a prediction as if it had the Dreamtelling feat (Heroes of Horror, p. 122). A dreamweaver has ranks in the appropriate skill checks to make a prediction equal to 4 + Goodwife's HD.

Honeydew
There is the sound of droning bees and a nude woman large with child rises up from a patch of suddenly blooming wildflowers.
Offering: A window always left open and with a bowl of mead.
Benefit: Plants are effected as by the enrichment quality of the Plant Growth spell, except it only effects edible and fruit/vegetable producing plants within 10 feet of the home per Goodwife level. All animals, lifestock and similar have twice their normal litter size while a honeydew remains within.
Pleasantry: A solemn promise may be made with a honeydew who can grant a childless couple the ability to conceive. The honeydew must be allowed to be the midwife, for it is her influence that keeps the children from being stillborn. The first birth is always twins. The promise is that the second child born is granted to the honeydew to raise as her own child within the orchards of her home. This child is always female and grows to become a honeydew in its own right. If the parents will not release the child it will slowly grow sicker as it is unable to grow properly without the attention of the honeydew.

Wellspring Newt
A small white newt surfaces within the offering below.
Offering: A well, spring, washtub or similar offered as a resting place.
Benefit: All poisons brought within the home are nullified and lose their properties permanently. This includes vials, poisoned food or water, envenomed weapons and similar all become harmless, even if removed from the household. Even venomous creatures cannot inject poison, and even after leaving require 24 hours before they can poison again. All food and drink is affected as by Purify Food and Drink. Hard drinks however are rendered flat. They can be drank, but lose their alcoholic properties. Those currently taking damage from poison are also purified, though their damage is not healed.
Pleasantry: Each day lavender is added to a wellspring newt's water it may use Cure Critical Wounds once.

Zashiki-warashi
A laughing child with red face and bobbed hair runs in through the front door with delighted laughter.
Offering: A boiled sweet every night and a new toy each week.
Benefit: There is a feeling of camaraderie and holiday in the home where a zashiki-warashi lives. Diplomacy and Bluff checks are made with a +4 bonus.
Pleasantry: If you read a story or sing a lullaby every night, and scold the Zashiki-warashi every morning, it will show itself and charm any visitor to the home towards it, the house, and its inhabitants. The slightest hint of violence against the charmed visitor however breaks the effect. If the visitor has one on its person it will leave the Zashiki-warashi a copper or silver coin (whatever is lower). The spirit will then stick it under the pillow of the head of the family that night. However, if any should try to take the coin from the Zashiki-warashi before then, it will rebel, and refuse to give it, or charm future visitors, though it will steal from them the most valuable object or coin on their person and refuse to give it back. It will then horde coins, gems and any valuable object it finds within the house and hide it away until a special meal is made in its honor. It will then relent. Upon a second infraction against it it will leave the home and another Zashiki-warashi will not take its place for 24 hours.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Second Sight [General]
Prerequisites: Wis 15, Spot 8 ranks, *Spirit Sense
*Heroes of Horror, p. 124
Benefit: You can see things that are naturally unseen. For instance, creatures or objects with natural or inherent invisibility can now be seen by you normally. Such creatures include a Phantom Fungus or Invisible Stalker, as well as Teraphim. This does not apply to creatures with access to spell lists that grant them invisibility. If the creature is invisible by other means, such as spells and similar, or upon the ethereal plane, you automatically succeed on a Spot check to sense their presence, though cannot pinpoint their location through use of this feat.
Special: As long as you concentrate you automatically know when you are not seeing something real. For instance you know when something is an illusions or in an altered shape than its natural one. You sense the vague outline of the creature, object or landscape's true shape. It is too vague and shadowy to make out details however, and must still succeed on your save against illusions, but you know when it is a farce.

The Tygre
2010-12-19, 02:13 AM
May I just be the first to say how freaking awesome this is? :smallbiggrin:

Gorgondantess
2010-12-19, 02:16 AM
Very cool, but I advise you proofread the whole thing: there was a lot of weird wording and even flat out antithetical wording- for example:

A home that has a brownie dwelling within will find that nearly anything breaks.
Yeah...
But otherwise, love the idea.:smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2010-12-19, 02:20 AM
I curse you to the ninth generation! I have been working on an E6 campaign built around household gods for months! :P

I would pick a couple built around fertility and individual types of protection.

So for instance a goddess that makes a couple fertile once per year in return for milk and grain mixed together and left on the doorstep daily. The goddess also reduces the frequency of morning sickness during pregnancy and prevents the woman from catching common diseases. Most couples only offer to her when they want a child, and then discontinue the offerings in order to prevent having an endless row of pregnancies.

Or a god that protects the homeless and children; if they give him half of their material possessions he makes them invisible to those who are actively trying to hurt them (the local guards for instance).

Serpentine
2010-12-19, 02:25 AM
Might want to have a look at the Lares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lares) and ancestor spirits, too. Incense and/or libations would be appropriate offerings for them.

The Mentalist
2010-12-19, 02:44 AM
A muse style god (or the classic seven) for bonuses to Craft/Perform checks?

Are we allowed to add our own? I have a library and forge spirit idea.

Icewalker
2010-12-19, 03:05 AM
Very nice! I quite like this idea, and it has been excellently executed, so far certainly. The first few I recognize from folklore, but is the dreamcatcher spider an original idea of yours? (Dreamcatchers in general I know of, but not as a household god in the form of a spider)

The pleasantries seem quite effective. In what context do they work with the class? They seem potentially abusable if they give this degree of ability for such (mechanically) mundane things. I guess the idea is that it is a "may attempt" not a "do this, get this" kind of thing. So by performing the pleasantry ritual, you might get a reaction from the household god, and if you try to overuse it it might leave. I quite like that, it gives roleplaying and intent a mechanical influence, which tends to be a good touch, in my book.

Debihuman
2010-12-19, 03:47 AM
I love the idea. In addition, I think you need a skill mechanic to go along with this. Since you have to build an alter or craft an idol, you should set the DCs of these.

To have the offering succeed you have to beat a DC 15 Skill check. Building an alter or crafting an idol for this purpose should be a simple Craft (Idol) or Craft (Alter) skill check.

If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) you gain a +2 synergy bonus for crafting an alter; if you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (Religion), you gain a +2 synergy bonus to craft an idol.

Perhaps you gain a better but temporary benefit if you succeed by 5 or more.

Then again, what happens if you fail?

Debby

Serpentine
2010-12-19, 04:57 AM
Counterintuitively, not necessarily. Especially for fey ones, they often prefer humble offerings - many a fairy tale has ended with the brownies packing up shop because a well-meaning human has given them a little bit more than their agreed-upon deal. Think a fancy-pants shrine could be very similar.
Basically... I think some could require a check or somesuch, but many (assuming I've got the sort of desired vibe right) would be just as happy with a thrown-together offering as a fancy one.

centuriancode
2010-12-19, 06:28 AM
Wonderful idea! Could it perhaps be extended to tents as well as houses (assuming it fits within the relevant mythos - brownies, for example, simply wouldn't agree to a tent)?

Also, Serpentine is right. According to traditional rules, a brownie will accept offerings, as long as they aren't too extravagant, and will leave if you ever thank them. Others may have similar rules, though I can't remember them off the top of my head. Too long since I read the stories.
However, if you add in the Lares idea, then the opposite is true. Insufficiently fancy offerings will cause the Lares to bring down a curse upon the house (or at least bad luck). That particular set also won't (and in some cases can't) leave the the house, no matter what you do - they simply treat you better or worse. If you read any of the Lares' speeches in roman plays like The Pot of Gold, then they give you a clue of the Lares' abilities.

One more suggestion: would it be possible to bring down less than pleasant household gods upon someone else's house? There are any number of nasty possessing spirits that either haunt, or haunt after being invited into, someone's house. Originally, any fey creature, from brownies, to trogs, to vampires, to the Lords and Ladies themselves had to be invited in before they could enter, but not all of them were nice.

Serpentine
2010-12-19, 08:00 AM
I could be wrong (been a while since I studied Roman religion), but I think with the Lares it's not so much fanciness as regularity and devotion.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-19, 09:40 AM
Very cool, but I advise you proofread the whole thing: there was a lot of weird wording and even flat out antithetical wording- for example:
There will be a proofing stage, yes.

I would pick a couple built around fertility and individual types of protection.
That could work. Not sure I'd make the example provided cause for one of the bigger gods as I've written there. She can also leave special blessings upon a home. Mostly very small things, or things that have little worth outside of RP or gaining thanks from NPC's. Blessing the home with fertility sounds like a good bet.

Might want to have a look at the Lares and ancestor spirits, too. Incense and/or libations would be appropriate offerings for them.
Hmm, Lares seem to be general protection. Perhaps they would have a more violent nature.

Offering of honeycakes and a drip of wine from every bottle would suffice as an offering. Their pleasantry would be a sacrificed pig.

Ancestor spirits I suppose would require an object they owned in life, or a familial heirloom to be placed on the shrine as an offering. Summons something like a ghost to protect or give information. Wouldn't be a true spirit, more like psychic impressions risen up.

Are we allowed to add our own? I have a library and forge spirit idea.
Please do, though be warned I will likely alter it slightly and add it to my PrC :smallwink:

Trying to go for general stuff whenever possible so its not solely usable for one type of location. Just too many options for that.

The first few I recognize from folklore, but is the dreamcatcher spider an original idea of yours? (Dreamcatchers in general I know of, but not as a household god in the form of a spider)
Dreamcatchers are supposed to symbolize an actual spider and its web that captures bad dreams. Many don't, but every dreamcatcher is supposed to have a bead, stone or similar somewhere on the web to symbolize the spider itself. Most of them are just touristy, mass-produced crap however that doesn't actually stick to the legend.
Dreamcatchers were hung above even infant's beds and such, so I'd say it was a pretty serious tradition at the time.

The pleasantries seem quite effective. In what context do they work with the class?
Basically the Goodwife has to first summon the creature. If she is within a household she has blessed (another class feature), i.e. folks she trusts or are of good alignment, the god will accept their pleasantry. If the Goodwife gives it as a gift, though not because she trusts them, or the folks are not good-aligned the pleasantry only has a 20% chance of being accepted.

I love the idea. In addition, I think you need a skill mechanic to go along with this. Since you have to build an alter or craft an idol, you should set the DCs of these.
For the purpose of this contest, only a Goodwife can properly summon one. That is, anyone could possibly summon one but they wouldn't be nearly as useful or dedicated to the family. May only grant a blessing here or there and then up and leave at any time.

She must have +8 ranks in a craft skill to enter the class, enough to sculpt, carve, forge or in general make the alter or idol. She then automatically succeeds on its construction. Just one of the class features to save time and effort.

May however make a feat to create such for those not in the class.

Could it perhaps be extended to tents as well as houses (assuming it fits within the relevant mythos - brownies, for example, simply wouldn't agree to a tent)?
I'm just saying house for ease of use. As the Goodwife increases in level she can bless and summon into larger and larger locales. Tents she can summon them into at 1st level.

One more suggestion: would it be possible to bring down less than pleasant household gods upon someone else's house? There are any number of nasty possessing spirits that either haunt, or haunt after being invited into, someone's house.
No, a Goodwife only traffics in beneficial spirits. May make another PrC for evil ones, but in general a Goodwife is dedicated to the community and helping others.

Now, if you harm the goodwife after she blessed you and summon them things will go hard for you. This isn't anything evil, but protection and justice for their favored disciple.

Jarrick
2010-12-19, 10:17 AM
Just throwing out another household spirit I came across while researching for a campaing setting. Zashiki-warashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zashiki-warashi). Another entry for it here. (http://obakemono.com/obake/zashikiwarashi/)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-19, 10:40 AM
Alright, have added the Second Sight feat to the bottom of the first page. Does it seem overpowered to anyone?

Just throwing out another household spirit I came across while researching for a campaing setting. Zashiki-warashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zashiki-warashi). Another entry for it here. (http://obakemono.com/obake/zashikiwarashi/)
That looks pretty cool.

Perhaps it grants you a bonus to Appraise, Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks so that those you invite within can be better swayed for financial purposes.

Edit: Alright, Zashiki-warashi added :smallamused:

Jarrick
2010-12-19, 11:12 AM
Hah! I like it. Nice. :smallbiggrin:

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-19, 11:39 AM
Sigh...why must you outdo me at every turn Tribble! [shakes fist]

It's nicely done, though the Brownie version sounds rather warm and fuzzy for the original. I'll doublecheck the rest later tonight...

happyturtle
2010-12-19, 12:19 PM
How about a god for the blessing of food? She would make sure it stretched far enough, and that no one was food-poisoned or malnourished.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-19, 12:58 PM
How about a god for the blessing of food? She would make sure it stretched far enough, and that no one was food-poisoned or malnourished.
Am actually working on that this moment :smallwink:

Thinking it can 'stretch' meals for family, so that one person's meal now can satisfy and nourish 2-3. Water always has just one more sip, and there is always one more scoop of flour. Can't sell it though, can only make your own meals and meals for others in need. Try to sell it and your food becomes infested with maggots or your water smells and tastes horrible.

Dedicate perhaps a pot, kettle, dish and silverware to her exclusive use however and the next meal acts as Heroes Feast. Maybe tone it down a little though.

Edit: Aaaand, Cronemother added :smallbiggrin:

Pink
2010-12-19, 01:43 PM
Following from other thread, great looking stuff, will probably steal some here or there for an interesting Commoner encounter or something. :P Looking forward to completed project.

Considered anything like Feegles? Or possiibly some sort've sheep-dog spirit for more rural types who want to watch over livestock as well as home? (These thoughts entirely inspired by Wee Free Men)

Cieyrin
2010-12-19, 05:01 PM
Ooo, intriguing. I imagine the Kalashtar of Adar would find Goodwives in much demand for the Dreamcatchers alone. :smallbiggrin:

The only contribution I have is perhaps the Gods that have negative effects on creatures, like the Dove of Peace's sleep effect or the Washiki's charm, should have saves attached, as I can see some abuses by having a tent blessed and throwing your enemies into the tent or something like that. Not that that wouldn't be hilarious to have a wrestling match outside a Dove's tent to capture a creature. :smallwink:

zyborg
2010-12-19, 05:20 PM
I like these a lot, but... what happens if you anger them? Any negative effects?

The Antigamer
2010-12-19, 05:30 PM
Don't forget Anoia, Goddess of Things That Stick in Drawers!

Joking aside, this is a great concept, and I look forward to seeing the PrC.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-20, 12:13 AM
Alright, here is my rough sketch of the PrC. It's not even half done however, just trying to get a spot in.

the Goodwife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10002550#post10002550)

also trying to think up more low-powered yet useful blessings.

The only contribution I have is perhaps the Gods that have negative effects on creatures, like the Dove of Peace's sleep effect or the Washiki's charm, should have saves attached, as I can see some abuses by having a tent blessed and throwing your enemies into the tent or something like that.
Wouldn't work because they'd try to leave. If you attack them to keep them in YOU fall asleep, not them.

I like these a lot, but... what happens if you anger them? Any negative effects?
If you notice some of them do. Mainly they just try to teach you a lessen for being am ungrateful twit and leave.

Edit: Ok, TVTyrant added the Honeydew as a fertility spirit.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-20, 02:02 AM
I like the rumpelstiltskin effect it has! :D

DracoDei
2010-12-24, 09:14 PM
How about something that gives bonuses to recovering from disease. Bonus allows converting one point of drain taken from disease in the last week to damage.

Cieyrin
2010-12-28, 06:26 PM
How about something that gives bonuses to recovering from disease. Bonus allows converting one point of drain taken from disease in the last week to damage.

There can't be that many diseases out there that do drain damage, at least non-supernatural ones. :smallconfused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-30, 01:08 PM
Assuming you mean damage?

Anyways, consider this thread closed. Finally posted the PrC in its own thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181315). Feel free to post anything you like on the subject there.

Critiques very much welcome.