PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Battlelord PrC

Keinnicht
2010-12-19, 01:51 AM
Basically, this is designed to let warlocks who just got into it for the Eldritch Blasting get to do that better, at the expense of other warlock abilities.

WARLOCK BATTLELORD

"Bang."
-Nergal the Destroyer, Warlock Battlelord.

Needs formatting. Here's a table.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Brutal blast, Eldritch blast +1d6

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Eldritch blast +2d6, Weapon specialization

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Increased range, Practiced blasting

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bombard, Eldritch blast +3d6, Eldritch bomb

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Supernatural blast, Precise blast

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+5|Eldritch blast +4d6, Greater Weapon Specialization, Increased range

7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+5| Blasting Expertise

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+6|Eldritch blast +5d6, Obliterate

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6|Increased range, Natural Blast

10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+7|Annihilate, Eldritch blast +6d6, Precise blast[/table]

Some warlocks use their inborn demonic power to sneak around and manipulate others. Others use it to enter into dungeons and ruins in search of treasure. And all of them use it to zap whatever stands in their way. A rare few are only interested in that one, and focus all their mental and physical energy on improving their eldritch blast, eventually turning themselves into what amounts to the magical equivalent of a division of artillery.

HD: D8

Requirements
To become a Warlock Battlelord, you must fulfill the following criteria.

Feats: Weapon Focus (Ranged Spell), Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast)
Special: Eldritch Blast 4D6

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device,
Skill Points per level: 2+Intelligence Modifier

Class Features:

Eldritch Blast: At 1st, 2nd, and every even-numbered level thereafter, the Warlock Battlelord's Eldritch Blast ability deals 1D6 additional damage.

Invocations: At third, sixth, and ninth level, the Warlock Battlelord may choose an Invocation from the Warlock invocation list. These must be either Blast Shape or Eldritch Essence invocations. For the purposes of determining what the highest level of Invocation the Battlelord can use, his Warlock Battlelord levels stack with his Warlock levels.

Brutal Blast: At 1st level, a Warlock may adds his strength bonus to damage dealt by his eldritch blast. He may also use the power attack feat when attacking with an eldritch blast, even though it is a ranged attack.

Weapon Specialization: At 2nd Level, the Warlock Battlelord gains Weapon Specialization (Eldritch Blast) as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the requirements.

Bombard: At 4th level, a Warlock Battlelord may fire two eldritch blasts as a full-round action, rather than one. He may alter these with invocations individually, or apply the same ones to both. If he has the manyshot feat, he may fire them both as a standard action. At 8th level, he can fire three blasts as a full-round action, or he may fire three as a standard action if he has the Improved Manyshot feat.

Increased Range At 3rd level, the range of the Warlock Battlelord's Eldritch Blast increases by 30 feet, and again at 6th and 9th level.

Practiced Blasting: At 3rd level, the Warlock Battlelord no longer provokes an attack of opportunity when he uses his eldritch blast.

Eldritch Bomb At 4th level, a Warlock Battlelord may take a full-round action to cause his eldritch blast to explode on contact into a sphere of energy 10 feet per Warlock Battlelord level in diameter. He may choose to either target a creature or an area with this. If he targets a creature, the Eldritch Bomb detonates on a successful ranged touch attack, dealing normal damage to the creature. All other creatures within the area take half damage, or one quarter damage on a successful reflex save (DC 10+ Warlock Battlelord Level + CHA Modifier)

Supernatural Blast: At 5th level, the Warlock's Eldritch Blast becomes a supernatural ability, not a spell-like ability. However, he may still apply Quicken Spell-Like Ability and similar feats to it.

Precise Blast: At 5th level, the threat range of the Warlock Battlelord's eldritch blast increases to 19-20/x2. At 10th level, it becomes 17-20/x3. The threat range does not stack with Improved Critical, munchkin-boy.

[B]Greater Weapon Specialization: At 6th level, the Warlock Battlelord Gains Greater Weapon Specialization (Eldritch Blast) as a bonus feat, even if he doesn't meet the requirements.

Blasting Expertise: At 7th level, the Warlock Battlelord may make trip and sunder attacks with his eldritch blasts, even if he is not in melee range. A creature he fails to trip may not attempt to trip him in return unless he is within their reach. In addition, any creature he grapples takes eldritch blast damage on a successful grapple check. He may also use his Eldritch blast to make a bull rush attack on any creature within range. This functions as a normal bull rush attack, but the battlelord uses his Charisma instead of his strength, and his effective charisma is increased by 1 for each 1D6 of damage lost (So a Warlock Battelord with 18 charisma who deals 11D6 eldritch blast damage bull rushes as though he had 29 strength.) The Warlock Battlelord himself does not move as part of the rush.

Obliterate: At 8th level, the Warlock Battlelord's eldritch blasts have surpassed the mere blasts of magic practiced by other warlocks. The body of any creature slain by a Warlock Battlelord of this level or higher crumbles to dust, as if they were killed by a disintegrate spell.

Natural Blast: At 9th level, a Warlock Battlelord's Eldritch Blast is an extraordinary ability rather than a supernatural one. As such, it functions even in anti-magic fields. While he can still use Quicken Spell-Like Ability and similar feats to modify it, he cannot do so in an anti-magic field or area of dead magic.

Annihilate: At 10th level, the Warlock Battlelord has mastered the eldritch blast. Once per day, as a standard action, he may launch on onslaught on an area no larger than 100 square feet per Warlock Battlelord level (So 1000 square feet unless you go epic.) The Warlock need not be in the area, but he must be able to see the majority of it. Everything, including objects and terrain, within the area take five times the Battlelord's Eldritch Blast damage, or half on a successful save. Hardness does not apply. If the warlock has a line of site (Or the creature is otherwise close by and the warlock is aware of it) to a creature or object, he can exclude it from the damage. Creatures slain by this ability are totally destroyed, not just physically - their bodies and souls simply become nothing. A wish or miracle spell is required to return the creature's soul to existence, and a true resurrection or another casting of wish or miracle is needed to restore them to life.

Objects destroyed in this manner are damaged beyond repair - metal shields become puddles of molten metal, massive feast tables are reduced to a few splinters of wood, castles crumble into piles of rock that suggest the destroyed fort of a child more than a great fortress.

The terrain in a targeted area is also horribly damaged. All soil is turned into ash-like sand. Nothing will grow in it for 1D4x100 years. Only a wish or miracle spell can change this.

So, what do you guys think? It seems a bit overpowered to me, but, then again, I am trying to compensate for the loss of a large amount of invocations, damage reduction, fiendish resilience, etc.

blackjack217
2010-12-19, 03:04 AM
Precise Blast: At 5th level, the threat range of the Warlock Battlelord's eldritch blast increases to 19-20/x2. At 10th level, it becomes 17-20/x3. The threat range does not stack with Improved Critical, munchkin-boy.
[B]

LoL. Aldso you need bab progression and saves and stuff.

centuriancode
2010-12-19, 06:57 AM
So at twentieth level, in any given round, the Warlock is unleashing up to 66d6+12 (assuming Strength 14, which seems reasonable) on a single target, though a target with good armour will probably only take 44d6+8, and might even take as little as 22d6+4 (unless the Warlock rolls appallingly), and once per day the warlock can unleash 44d6+2 on a massive area.

At lower levels, his damage progression is basically that of a rogue who uses his/her sneak attack well. As a blaster caster it's fine. Given the lack of other abilities, it's even comparatively difficult to break. Probably still not a tier 1 class, so unbalance shouldn't be too much of an issue unless everyone else is playing something small, underpowered, and pathetic.

My biggest issue is the Annihilation spell. The Warlock (assuming two-weapon fighting, which you'd be stupid not to take), can deal fifty percent more damage with a standard attack. Sure, that's only to a single target, but even so. It seems a little small. Also, in comparison to what truly OP classes ca ndo at that level, it doesn't compete as an end-game blast. A decent Wish should be able to do almost as much, and if their actually thinking about it, any primary caster should be able to match it while maintaining their access to other abilities.

My suggestion is that you up the damage on the Annihilation to 55d6+2 (5 times the eldritch blast level plus a strength bonus). It's still less than what can be done in a single attack, but unleashing that across 1000 square miles makes up for it.

Also, if balance concerns you, just remember that, only using Players' Handbook and Complete Adventurer, it is possible to create a Rogue that, at level 18, can teleport behind you, hit you for over 120d6 damage, and then teleport away again. All in a single round. If you start playing with the rules for Improved Critical, you can even make the rogue be hitting with vorpal weapons that critical on a nine (and with eight attacks - assuming you haven't gone overboard and given it flurry as well - that tends to hurt). If it's not broken by level 20 you're doing something wrong, and at lower levels, the progression on this is fine.

Fable Wright
2010-12-19, 01:33 PM
Needs formatting. Here's a table.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Brutal blast, Eldritch blast +1d6

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Eldritch blast +2d6, Weapon specialization

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Increased range, Practiced blasting

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bombard, Eldritch blast +3d6, Eldritch bomb

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Supernatural blast, Precise blast

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Eldritch blast +4d6, Greater Weapon Specialization, Increased range

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|-

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6|Eldritch blast +5d6, Obliterate

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+6|Increased range, Natural Blast

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Annihilate, Eldritch blast +6d6, Precise blast[/table]

Keinnicht
2010-12-19, 01:59 PM
LoL. Aldso you need bab progression and saves and stuff.

Yeah, I actually realized this morning I needed to do that. I was thinking good BAB and good Reflex and Will saves.

So at twentieth level, in any given round, the Warlock is unleashing up to 66d6+12 (assuming Strength 14, which seems reasonable) on a single target, though a target with good armour will probably only take 44d6+8, and might even take as little as 22d6+4 (unless the Warlock rolls appallingly), and once per day the warlock can unleash 44d6+2 on a massive area.

That's a fair point, I'm thinking about changing it so he can just make two Eldritch Blasts a round, and then possibly three attacks at a higher level, plus remove the TWF thing. Would that make it better?

Or...based on the latter end of the post, perhaps you're not criticizing.

It seems a little small. Also, in comparison to what truly OP classes ca ndo at that level, it doesn't compete as an end-game blast. A decent Wish should be able to do almost as much, and if their actually thinking about it, any primary caster should be able to match it while maintaining their access to other abilities.

Fair enough. What would you recommend changing? Area? Save? Another ability? I like the idea of just annihilating an area.

EDIT: Added in a new ability, allowing him to make less basic combat actions with the blasts. Also increased Annihilate damage.

[QUOTE=DMofDarkness;10000195]Needs formatting. Here's a table.
[QUOTE]

Thank you very much.

Owrtho
2010-12-19, 04:33 PM
If you start playing with the rules for Improved Critical, you can even make the rogue be hitting with vorpal weapons that critical on a nine (and with eight attacks - assuming you haven't gone overboard and given it flurry as well - that tends to hurt).

The thing to remember here being that vorpal only works if you roll a natural 20, regardless of the weapons critical range.

That aside, I might suggest allowing invocation progression, but only allowing them to take eldritch essences and blast shapes. Might also note on some of the abilities that you can't use them with a blast shape applied (similar to how the hellfire warlock cant apply eldritch essences to a hellfire blast).

Owrtho

Mongoose87
2010-12-20, 02:35 PM
44d6 really isn't that much damage, and neither is 66d6. I've seen plenty of builds that do much more than that, much earlier than level 20.

blackjack217
2010-12-20, 03:47 PM
44d6 really isn't that much damage, and neither is 66d6. I've seen plenty of builds that do much more than that, much earlier than level 20.

Rocket tag is not the best place to build your balance metric.

Mongoose87
2010-12-20, 03:51 PM

Then why bother even looking at level 20?

centuriancode
2010-12-21, 02:37 AM
At level 20, it's OK, but not great.

At earlier levels, it matches damage with lower tier 2/higher tier 3 nicely. It just doesn't have qutie the atomic bomb effect at level 20 that some other classes do. Annihilation fits the idea of the class perfectly, it just doesn't cause enough hurt (though with recent edits it's getting better).

AyeGill
2010-12-21, 09:52 AM

you don't exactly need to use TO to get that kind of damage. Just speccing for metamagic, a wizard using maw of chaos can easily smack up a twinned, maximized one, that makes 60d6 damage/round for 20 rounds, maybe even persisted for added awesome. Granted, the area isn't near the size of annihilate, but high-level encounters tend to, in my experience, be less about grand battles with lots of enemies(since most low- to mid-level enemies can't really hurt you by endgame), and more about focus-firing a few targets to oblivion.

Keinnicht
2011-01-12, 04:55 PM
Some minor edits, changes to Bombard and Brutal blast. Sorry that took so long.

Mangles
2011-01-12, 05:47 PM
Why does this guy not have access to blast shapes/essences. They do all the cool things. Maybe u could allow him to get invocations but only of those types.

Codemus
2011-01-13, 01:56 AM
Wow, I realy like this prc. Very nice, and something I'd definately use. About Blast shapes and Essences, I don't see things going too wrong with the re-inclusion of them. Some of the essences are kinda weak, but being able to do tricky stuff with the blasts could be kinda cool (thinking of chain blasts and the cone one). Eldritch Bomb definately fits the theme of blast shapes. But, it's all good as is, so I like it either way.

jojolagger
2011-01-13, 04:29 PM
Brutal Blast: At 1st level, a Warlock may adds his strength bonus to damage dealt by his eldritch blast. He may also use the power attack feat when attacking with an eldritch blast, even though it is a ranged attack. Considering this is for warlocks, I'd use CHA.

So, what do you guys think? It seems a bit overpowered to me, but, then again, I am trying to compensate for the loss of a large amount of invocations, damage reduction, fiendish resilience, etc.Consider all you can do is cause damage, and it's not hugely overpowered.

Warlock battlelords know two types of people, other Warlock battlelords, and targets.

DracoDei
2011-01-13, 05:44 PM
This seems a little OP compared to the basic warlock (the invocations don't seem to do THAT much). Compared to a wizard/sorcerer I also think it is OP simply because it is at-will (but yes, I know that if you are playing the "5 minute work day" it doesn't matter).

I do have to say I find this almost nothing like artillery... I did the artillery class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171845). This is missing indirect fire. Going Warlock/Coward's-Strike Warlock/Warlock Battlelord would be interesting though... might be tricky to figure out which order to take the levels in though...

super dark33
2011-01-14, 05:32 AM
I LOVE IT!
ITS AWOSOME!
im so going to do it!

you should add an ability that grants energy (fire,ice,acid,electric,negetive,negetive levels,slash,pierce,blunt and force) damage of the player's choice.

DracoDei
2011-01-14, 05:16 PM
That would be half the effects of 5+ blast invocations.

Codemus
2011-01-14, 08:57 PM
Now that I finaly got around to looking at the book, the fastest you can get into the class is 7th level, leaving you with 4 invocations. Three least and one lesser.

There dosen't seem to be much point in taking any of the least blast shapes avalible, as they are either pointless or useless. The lesser blast shape, Eldritch Chain, could be useful in situations where you have a lot of enemies, but can't cause too much colateral damage. Eldritch spear is unessisary when you have natural range progression, and Hidious Blow is useless (though there is potental if it plays nice with Practiced Blasting).

The two least Eldritch essences, Frightful Blast and Sickening Blast, are both somewhat easy to resist at these levels. Of the lesser essences, Beshadowed Blast, Brimstone Blast, and Hellrime Blast, it gets intresting.
With Brimstone and Hellrime, you get your fire and cold damage types respectively, with nifty bonus perks of setting them on fire or reducing dex by -4. Not the strongest in the world, but a bonus all the same. Beshadowed is just a straight blind effect, not to bad. The dc to resist these effects could still be a problem though.

So realy, it's probably better to pick some of the other invocations for the least slots, and either Brimstone Blast or Hellrime Blast as your lesser choice. Or you can just pick Fell Flight and nuke them from orbit with Annihilate. :smallbiggrin:

If invocation progression was re-instated with the limitation of essences and blast shapes only, it could be pretty neat. I don't know how effective it would be, the shapes are again mostly useless. The essences are neat at higher levels, and throwing out a Utterdark Annihilate could be quite fun.

jojolagger
2011-01-14, 10:07 PM
Bombard: At 2nd level, using an Eldritch Blast is considered attacking with a weapon rather than using a spell-like ability. As such, the warlock can make a full attack with his eldritch blast, and may also apply Manyshot and similar feats to it.

Please just make it "You may use a full round action to fire 2 eldritch blasts, using your highest and second highest BAB."
Gives the more attacks desired, but avoids the option of extra arms and Multi-attack for huge damage.

Also, Bombard says Level 2 in text, but level 4 on the table.

On the subject of Invocations, just have the class stack it's levels with warlock levels for number and level of them, but invocations gained when leveling into Battlelord must be Blast Shape or essence.

super dark33
2011-01-15, 12:11 PM
Now that I finaly got around to looking at the book, the fastest you can get into the class is 7th level, leaving you with 4 invocations. Three least and one lesser.

There dosen't seem to be much point in taking any of the least blast shapes avalible, as they are either pointless or useless. The lesser blast shape, Eldritch Chain, could be useful in situations where you have a lot of enemies, but can't cause too much colateral damage. Eldritch spear is unessisary when you have natural range progression, and Hidious Blow is useless (though there is potental if it plays nice with Practiced Blasting).

The two least Eldritch essences, Frightful Blast and Sickening Blast, are both somewhat easy to resist at these levels. Of the lesser essences, Beshadowed Blast, Brimstone Blast, and Hellrime Blast, it gets intresting.
With Brimstone and Hellrime, you get your fire and cold damage types respectively, with nifty bonus perks of setting them on fire or reducing dex by -4. Not the strongest in the world, but a bonus all the same. Beshadowed is just a straight blind effect, not to bad. The dc to resist these effects could still be a problem though.

So realy, it's probably better to pick some of the other invocations for the least slots, and either Brimstone Blast or Hellrime Blast as your lesser choice. Or you can just pick Fell Flight and nuke them from orbit with Annihilate. :smallbiggrin:

If invocation progression was re-instated with the limitation of essences and blast shapes only, it could be pretty neat. I don't know how effective it would be, the shapes are again mostly useless. The essences are neat at higher levels, and throwing out a Utterdark Annihilate could be quite fun.

better invocations are Fell flight, Entropic Warding,See the Unseen and Baleful Utterance

Bang!
2011-01-15, 12:22 PM
Bombard
Eldritch Bomb

I don't really care about the balance of a blaster, but this seems ridiculous.
Do you really want to roll Reflex saves for all creatures within 100 feet of every attack this makes (when it makes 6+ attacks per round)?
Bomb should have a higher action cost; bump the damage up if you need to, but definitely avoid this sort of dice-quagmire.

Roderick_BR
2011-01-15, 09:55 PM
It's a cool PrC for a player wanting to go into McBlasty and look badass in it.
Suggestions: Bombard may get tricky. Just make it something like "Double blast", "Double Barrel", "Two Blasting Fighting", "Twin Blast" or something, and allow him to make two separate blasts as a full round action.

I do like blasting expertise.

Eldritch Bomb: It just turns your blast into an area effect, no limit? Hmm. I think you should, for each attack, be able to choose either a normal attack, or an area attack.

Annihilate: Sounds fun, but it is exagerated. 5 times? Destroy souls? I think nothing short of epic AND being a deity should be able to do that.
I'd say that having that huge area, and give it something like a Maximize effect (reflex for half, Evasion doesn't work on it, Improved Evasion works as normal Evasion) would be cool for the whole "I need ALL of you, like, dead, right now" effect. Maybe a Fort save to avoid being stunned for a round or something.

jojolagger
2011-01-16, 04:31 AM
It's a cool PrC for a player wanting to go into McBlasty and look badass in it.
Suggestions: Bombard may get tricky. Just make it something like "Double blast", "Double Barrel", "Two Blasting Fighting", "Twin Blast" or something, and allow him to make two separate blasts as a full round action.
Agreed.

Annihilate: Sounds fun, but it is exagerated. 5 times? Destroy souls? I think nothing short of epic AND being a deity should be able to do that.
I'd say that having that huge area, and give it something like a Maximize effect (reflex for half, Evasion doesn't work on it, Improved Evasion works as normal Evasion) would be cool for the whole "I need ALL of you, like, dead, right now" effect. Maybe a Fort save to avoid being stunned for a round or something.
Destroy souls is counter-able by wish, and about equal to trap the soul (9th level)
5 times, when first gained, will be 4d6 (warlock)+6d6(battlelord)+2d6(item)
or 60d6 damage total, averaging 210 damage, 105 on a successful save.
Should the average fighter of that level make his save, He survives.
Also most creatures at that CR have a fair chance of survival. And it's 1/day.
I like the reduced evasion idea.

super dark33
2011-01-17, 12:52 PM
maybe add some bonous feats in there, and make him fear aura's and stuff like that

super dark33
2011-01-19, 02:12 PM
too awosome to get buried

Keinnicht
2011-02-18, 01:30 PM
Added a tiny number of invocations. They get 3.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-18, 02:40 PM
non-psionic Thri-Kreen + Multi Weapon Fighting Chain
Add in Fellflight invocation and you get

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZoneOfTheEnders

jojolagger
2011-02-18, 04:03 PM
Requirements

To become a Warlock Battlelord, you must fulfill the following criteria.

Feats: Weapon Focus (Ray), Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast)
Special: Eldritch Blast 4D6

Prerequisites are fine, though maybe ranks in knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft should be added.

Brutal Blast:
At 1st level, a Warlock may adds his strength bonus to damage dealt by his eldritch blast. He may also use the power attack feat when attacking with an eldritch blast, even though it is a ranged attack.
Please make that run off charisma. Cha is the warlocks casting stat. Str is the ranged warlocks dump stat. Also "A warlock battlelord may power blast with his eldritch blasts. This is identical to power attacking, except that it only applies to his eldritch blasts. Upon reaching 3rd level, his blasts are considered two-handed for the purpose of this."

Bombard:
At 2nd level, using an Eldritch Blast is considered attacking with a weapon rather than using a spell-like ability. As such, the warlock can make a full attack with his eldritch blast, and may also apply Manyshot and similar feats to it.
At level two in text, at level four on table. A bit over powered. Just make it 2 shots per round. If you really want to give some benefits that make it more weapon-like, allow the Battlelord to enchant his blasts as if they were a ranged weapon, probably at 150% the normal cost because of how awesome it would be.

{table=head]Bonus|Cost

+1|3000 gp

+2|12,000 gp

+3|27,000 gp

+4|48,000 gp

+5|75,000 gp

+6|108,000 gp

+7|147,000 gp

+8|192,000 gp

+9|243,000 gp

+10|300,000 gp[/table]

Increased Range
At 3rd level, the range of the Warlock Battlelord's Eldritch Blast increases by 30 feet, and again at 6th and 9th level.
Needs a line on how it interacts with eldritch spear.

Practiced Blasting:
At 3rd level, the Warlock Battlelord no longer provokes an attack of opportunity when he uses his eldritch blast. That will piss some people off to no end, but it isn't over powered.

Eldritch Bomb
At 4th level, a Warlock Battlelord may take a full-round action to cause his eldritch blast to explode on contact into a sphere of energy 10 feet per Warlock Battlelord level in diameter. He may choose to either target a creature or an area with this. If he targets a creature, the Eldritch Bomb detonates on a successful ranged touch attack, dealing normal damage to the creature. All other creatures within the area take half damage, or one quarter damage on a successful reflex save (DC 10+1/2 Warlock Level + CHA Modifier)
circular effects are usually measured in Radius. I'd say 5 ft. radius/ 2 levels, and make the save (DC 10+ 1/2 warlock level + Battlelord level+CHA Modifier).

Blasting Expertise:
At 7th level, the Warlock Battlelord may make trip and sunder attacks with his eldritch blasts, even if he is not in melee range. A creature he fails to trip may not attempt to trip him in return unless he is within their reach. In addition, any creature he grapples takes eldritch blast damage on a successful grapple check. He may also use his Eldritch blast to make a bull rush attack on any creature within range. Doing so does not do damage, but his effective strength is increased by 1 point per 1D6 damage lost (So a Battlelord who deals 9D6 damage and has 14 strength bull rushes as though his strength was 23.)
I'm going to say go with Cha again, have the effective strength be (Cha + 1/1d6 lost)

Obliterate:
At 8th level, the Warlock Battlelord's eldritch blasts have surpassed the mere blasts of magic practiced by other warlocks. The body of any creature slain by a Warlock Battlelord of this level or higher crumbles to dust, as if they were killed by a disintegrate spell.
There is no such thing as overkill. The is only open fire and I need to reload.

Annihilate:
At 10th level, the Warlock Battlelord has mastered the eldritch blast. Once per day, as a standard action, he may launch on onslaught on an area no larger than 100 feat per Warlock Battlelord level (So 1000 feet unless you go epic.) The Warlock need not be in the area, but he must be able to see the majority of it. Everything, including objects and terrain, within the area take five times the Battlelord's Eldritch Blast damage, or half on a successful save. Hardness does not apply. If the warlock has a line of site (Or the creature is otherwise close by and the warlock is aware of it) to a creature or object, he can exclude it from the damage. Creatures slain by this ability are totally destroyed, not just physically - their bodies and souls simply become nothing. A wish or miracle spell is required to return the creature's soul to existence, and a true resurrection or another casting of wish or miracle is needed to restore them to life.

Objects destroyed in this manner are damaged beyond repair - metal shields become puddles of molten metal, massive feast tables are reduced to a few splinters of wood, castles crumble into piles of rock that suggest the destroyed fort of a child more than a great fortress.

The terrain in a targeted area is also horribly damaged. All soil is turned into ash-like sand. Nothing will grow in it for 1D4x100 years. Only a wish or miracle spell can change this.
Is it 100 square feet a level? Because that's only 20 squares as the capstone. (a 5 foot square is 5 feet by five feet, or 25 square feet). To Truly put that in perspective, a bomb at this level can hit 268.
Needs way more area, unless it's an area 100 feet/level on each side, then it's fine.

Keinnicht
2011-02-20, 04:33 PM
Brutal Blast:
Please make that run off charisma. Cha is the warlocks casting stat. Str is the ranged warlocks dump stat.

Nah. I understand your point, but the bonus from strength is more of a flavor thing, indicating their "strong" attack style. It's not meant to power them up significantly.

Bombard:
At level two in text, at level four on table. A bit over powered. Just make it 2 shots per round. If you really want to give some benefits that make it more weapon-like, allow the Battlelord to enchant his blasts as if they were a ranged weapon, probably at 150% the normal cost because of how awesome it would be.[/quote]

That's a good idea. Although I think I might make it a ritual thing, since that makes a lot more sense than "enchanting" something that's based on mental power and has no actual, physical form.
Increased Range[SPOILER]
Needs a line on how it interacts with eldritch spear.

It doesn't. Eldritch Spear doesn't increase your range based on how much it is to begin with. It makes your range 250 feet. That's it.

Eldritch Bomb
circular effects are usually measured in Radius. I'd say 5 ft. radius/ 2 levels, and make the save (DC 10+ 1/2 warlock level + Battlelord level+CHA Modifier).

I removed the +1/2 warlock level part, but otherwise took your advice. Saying warlock level in there was a typo. 10+Battlelord Level+CHA modifier puts it basically on par with any other area of effect spell, since the maximum save DC for a spell is 19+Key Casting Stat (Excluding feats and class abilities that increase your spells' saves) and the maximum there is 20+CHA modifier. Seems fair.

Blasting Expertise:
I'm going to say go with Cha again, have the effective strength be (Cha + 1/1d6 lost)

That makes sense, since this is a direct measure of his supernatural power rather than his actual strength.

Annihilate:
Is it 100 square feet a level? Because that's only 20 squares as the capstone. (a 5 foot square is 5 feet by five feet, or 25 square feet). To Truly put that in perspective, a bomb at this level can hit 268.
Needs way more area, unless it's an area 100 feet/level on each side, then it's fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant. Good catch.

I slightly changed the wording for the prerequisites, because I discovered that Weapon Focus (Ray) seems to have turned into Weapon Focus (Ranged Spell) at some point in 3.5. I will now consider the flavor text for the rituals allowing the Battlelord to "enchant" his blasts. Also I'm debating whether or not to allow a warlock to suppress the enchantment - I figure if they want that extra D6 of damage enough to add flaming to their weapon, they'll just have to deal with it when they fight a fire elemental. That way adding those powers limits the versatility somewhat, so you'll be less likely to get wise guys with Flaming Shock Frost Eldritch Blasts.

jojolagger
2011-02-20, 07:44 PM
Brutal Blast:

Nah. I understand your point, but the bonus from strength is more of a flavor thing, indicating their "strong" attack style. It's not meant to power them up significantly.
1. What if they have a str of 8 or 9? then it weakens their blasts.
2. Cha is better for flavor than Str. Eldritch blasts harm by supernatural power, not momentum.
3. Even with Cha, it's not that much of a boost, at any level. As soon as you get it, it'll probably be +5 or 6 damage (22 Cha at level 8 is quite good), on a 5d6 blast. At level 20, 34 Cha would be reasonable possible. That's +12, on a 13d6 blast. It says constant at about +1 damage per die. The War Mage get's that much of a boost to spell damage every odd level.

Increased Range:

It doesn't. Eldritch Spear doesn't increase your range based on how much it is to begin with. It makes your range 250 feet. That's it.
Yes it does. Which applies first? If Spear, shouldn't it get a larger bonus with it? if increased range, what happens if you have eldritch spear and get to level 21 in battle lord, at which point your natural range exceeds that of a spear.

Eldritch bomb:

I removed the +1/2 warlock level part, but otherwise took your advice. Saying warlock level in there was a typo. 10+Battlelord Level+CHA modifier puts it basically on par with any other area of effect spell, since the maximum save DC for a spell is 19+Key Casting Stat (Excluding feats and class abilities that increase your spells' saves) and the maximum there is 20+CHA modifier. Seems fair.
Might actually be better to have it be 10 + 1/2 levels in invoking classes + cha. Then it starts at 14+Cha not 11+CHA, maxes out at the same thing, and doesn't suddenly loses it's (pre-epic) progression once you hit level 10 in the class.