PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction of site rules?

NineThePuma
2010-12-19, 04:39 AM
Are we allowed to, if we have our own message boards, reproduce sections of the site rules for use on our boards?

I recently inherited a rather... disorganized cluster of rules that has so many personal amendments and vague statements that I want to kill the whole thing and start over; things are left very vague or are made counter intuitive (in fact, one of the rules can basically be summed up as "Don't help other members understand the rules").

I was hoping to copy (and credit. Crediting where I get stuff is a big thing for me) the Infractions system. Having a set system of how to handle warnings and stuff would make me policing my staff and site a bit easier as it would provide guidelines for when warns are supposed to be handed out (and the severity of each) while also making it clear when the staff are overstepping boundaries.

Prime32
2010-12-19, 08:07 AM
I was hoping to copy (and credit. Crediting where I get stuff is a big thing for me) the Infractions system. Having a set system of how to handle warnings and stuff would make me policing my staff and site a bit easier as it would provide guidelines for when warns are supposed to be handed out (and the severity of each) while also making it clear when the staff are overstepping boundaries.Infractions are more than part of the rules. It's part of the mechanics of the forum. If you're using the same software you could probably add something similar.

NineThePuma
2010-12-19, 08:52 AM
I already have a similar set up. I'm specifically referring to the code of conduct on the staff's part and the groundwork for it.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-19, 09:08 AM
I think GITP has very reasonable rules that can be applied to your forums. I wouldn't just copy/paste the rules section though. Type them up yourself using your own words. And you can say "For an example of how these rules work to build a thriving community, check out the Giant in the Playground forums." if you want.

Prime32
2010-12-19, 10:22 AM
(in fact, one of the rules can basically be summed up as "Don't help other members understand the rules")...wait, isn't this one of the rules here too? :smalltongue:

We strongly suggest you report rule violations rather than respond to them, as responding may put you in violation of one of the Forum Rules.

But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are spamming, etc. Posters who do so will be issued an Infraction for their actions.

NineThePuma
2010-12-19, 10:49 AM
Here, it's back seat modding. The rule there is enforced as punishing anyone for answering questions about the rules that isn't staff. Such as:

Newbie: "Hey, this section is complicated, what does it mean?"
Non Staff: "It means X."
Staff: "It means X." *scrubs non-staff's post and warns them*

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-19, 04:12 PM
Here, it's back seat modding. The rule there is enforced as punishing anyone for answering questions about the rules that isn't staff. Such as:

Well, we don't have that rule exactly, but we do generally frown on "backseat modding" or as we call it, "vigilante modding." There's really no need for one poster to try to moderate another, and it tends to cause more problems than it solves. When someone comes to this Forum

I'm certainly glad you like our Forum Rules. As for using the text, I appreciate you asking first. It is our copyrighted material, I suppose, so our permission is necessary to do it by the book.

Sheriff: We'll have to discuss it and get back to you.

That seems fine. Good luck with your forum.