PDA

View Full Version : "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 10:15 AM
"Welcome to the Ragged Edge," grumbles the barkeep while cleaning bits of glass off of the counter. Outside, it is dark and raining, the end of the third consecutive day of storms. Through the grubby windows of the inn, you can see the outer walls of Solstice, but the gates are closed for the evening. "Those damned Sirramar knights, getting involved in politics, it's a nightmare I tell you. This new curfew they imposed, cutting into my business..." The barkeep looks up at you for the first time and pauses, considering the six of you in turn, his expression changing from annoyance, to shock, and finally to indignation. "Who in Baator's name are you people, and what are you doing standing in the doorway of my inn?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-19, 10:49 AM
His black mask and hood obscuring his features as usual, Cynath pulls his black cloak around himself little tighter and does his utmost not to care about the rain pouring against his clothes. When the door of the inn is opened, he steps in rather unceremoniously his black cloak still covering most of his form.

"I believe this is not the usual way to greet paying customers" the voice of the elf hisses out from behind his mask, his irritation making it somewhat chilly. "And you would do well not to speak blasphemy in middle of the city... who knows who might be listening? Maybe even the knights".

Leaning against the wall, he quieted down again.

Mordokai
2010-12-19, 10:49 AM
Synia shakes the rain from her hair and tries to dry herself at least a little. Thank all that is unholy for finding this dump. It may not be much, but at least it's dry. Ignoring Cynath for the moment, she steps up to the barkeep and flashes him her most charming smile.

"And a good day to you as well, my good man. My friends and I, we're on a way into your beautiful city, but it would seem we're barred from doing so, at least for now. Ideally, we would like a room in your establishment and something for eating along. Some information would be handy as well. Think you can provide us with that?"

She puts her chin atop her interwoven fingers and looks at the barkeep, still smiling.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 11:18 AM
"Uh... well..." The barkeep seems to be somewhat perplexed by the dual nature of your responses, but after a moment composes himself. "The going rate is 3 crowns per room, per night. Meals not included. How long will you, uh, folk be staying at my establishment?"

Mordokai
2010-12-19, 11:25 AM
"Three crowns? My, my, but your establishment most be of top order. Do you have any two bed rooms?" And with that, she turns around and winks at Cynath. "I'll pay, though of course it's not up to me to speak for others. I hope you at least deliver food to the room? But, as I was saying, we're looking for some information. Where would one go to get them, hm? And what is it about this curfew you were speaking about?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-19, 11:31 AM
The elf does not even bat an eye, instead merely following the conversation absent-mindedly and rummaging his haversack for an item he will propably be needing soon. Three crowns for poor excuse of a room this kind of place is propably able to offer is highway robbery, but killing the man right on the spot would attract too much attention. Perhaps, he thinks, robbing the arrogant human blind before leaving fits his purposes better and can still serve as a lesson to him.

Eiko
2010-12-19, 11:39 AM
Leaning against the tavern's outside wall Donovan debated how he felt like showing his face so to speak. Under an all encompassing black cloak and a blank face mask nothing of his features could be seen, he rolled a simple silver band round in his hand; its warmth a stark contrast to the cold and the rain inches from his perch. Who was he to be today.

Smiling to himself he removed the mask, blond stands of hair dangling from his hood as he placed the object into his backpack, resting on the floor. Its cavernous depth devouring the small object. A brief flicker of the torch outside in the wind illuminated a smooth and pale face before he made his decision and re-donned the ring his form shifting and flowing in an instant. Where the cloaked figure had stood now stood a man in fine looking dark clothes, hair a red to match his companions loose cut around a face best described as cute. Green eyes sparkled with warmth as he walked in.

"Debating pay for the man sis'?" He asked Synia "Well I'll leave you to the whole money thing and in the meantime why don't we all have a drink?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 12:17 PM
From the shadows of an alcove a feminine figure approaches. She is tall and fair, thin wisps of blond locks emerging from a grey hood. Although you cannot see much of her, the full almond eyes and slanted cheeks would suggest that she is an elf. "Come now, sir, I will pay for these poor travelers." Her voice is melodious, but you can hear a sense of urgency beneath. As the bartender motions for a couple of his boys to gather your belongings from outside, the elven woman begins to walk up the stairs, and beckons for the six of you to follow.

Mordokai
2010-12-19, 12:21 PM
"It would appear drinking will be postponed until further notice Donovan. Do remind me though. I would love to have a word with you and a couple of pints wouldn't hurt as well." With that, Synia follows the elven woman upstairs.

Grim ranger
2010-12-19, 12:28 PM
Following the conversation with at least some interest, Cynath narrows his eyes slightly at the woman who so unexpectedly decides to pay for their lodgings. While never above accepting good night's sleep at someone else's expense, he is still quite suspicious... As he is in almost any given situation. Just what does this woman want?

Leaving his place near the door, he follows Synia up the stairs, keeping his hand close to the handle of the barbed dagger mercifully concealed by his black cloak. If he gets as much as sniff of trechery, it is stabbing time followed by hasty escape. But maybe this can even turn out to be useful turn of events.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 12:47 PM
The elf drags you into one of the rooms off of the second floor hallway. It is well furnished, with a pair of large beds, a table, and a dressing cabinet in the corner. She sits down on the edge of one of the beds, examining each one of you, her eyes at last resting on Cynath. "Well, isn't that interesting. The traitor himself, come to show his face in Solstice yet again. I thought we banished you?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-19, 12:58 PM
Wrapping his hand slowly around the handle of his dagger, Cynath looks emotionlessly back at her. "Leona. How nice to see you again" he says in very frosty tone, the words soft as whisper of blade being drawn from it's sheath and cold as death's embrace itself. "Technically, you didn't do anything. Not that you could have kept me from the city even if you tried, but after I had taken care of everyone that were worth the effort I could not have cared less about you or the rest of the Guild... And still don't".

He moves his cloak aside, showing his now drawn dagger, the quietly crackling purple blade held in reverse grip, ready to strike. "So here are the facts. Do not get in the way of me or my companions and I will not need to focus my attention to you and the others again. Do get in my way and I am going to finish the job and kill every last member of the Guild dead... And you know that I can. So what will it be?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 01:04 PM
Holding up her hands in surrender, Leona flashes you a grimace. "Actually, the fact that you are a part of this group holds no significance to me or the Guild whatsoever. I just overheard you talking with that moron of a barkeep about getting in to the city, and I thought I might like to lend a hand." She is interrupted by a crash of thunder from outside, shaking the window panes. "You know, as well as I do, that the damn Knights-Militant check everyone entering the city, and that there is no chance you are getting in through the front gate. There is another way into the city, however."

Grim ranger
2010-12-19, 01:11 PM
Not sheathing his weapon as of yet, he merely watches Leona cautiously, still very much ready to sink the blade of the knife into her throat from slightest provocation. "And why, pray tell, would Nightsong Guild aid me in entering Solstice? No guild just forgets the death of it's guildmaster and good number of members and offers unconditional aid for travelers, expecially not your guild. So the questions are: what do you want and why should I trust you enough to listen to further proposals instead of opening your throat and leaving you for dead?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 01:24 PM
She merely gives you a look of indignation and exclaims, "Cease your prattling. I will answer your questions in due time. As for trust, I expect nothing of you, but I suspect that you would believe me over, say, the regiment of guards that just arrived downstairs?" As she stops to speak, the cacophony of dishes shattering and the shouts of patrons from the floor below seem to confirm her claim. Turning back to you, she says, "The choice is yours. I would hear from the rest of your companions, though. What say you to my proposal?"

Mordokai
2010-12-19, 01:32 PM
Well, this is certainly an interesting turn of events. What else will we learn today? Making a mental note of everything that has been said, Synia once speaks up. "If you can really get us into the city and help us escape what at the moment seems like a very bleak situation, I am all for going with you."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 01:47 PM
"That's good enough for me. The guards are probably interrogating the barkeep now, they will be here any minute. I recommend we leave now, if we get into a fight then by tomorrow your faces will be all over the city, and I am sure you would not want that. This way." Leona leads you over to the full wall cabinet, and pushes it aside. Ushering you into the secret passage behind, she pushes the piece of furniture back into position, leaving you in the dark.

Grim ranger
2010-12-19, 02:08 PM
Not even bothering to respond as it is painfully clear he does not actually want to pick a fight with whole regiment of guards, the rogue merely re-sheathes his dagger and enters the secret passage as it is revealed. "I guess I will have to trust you for a second..." he mutters to himself and closes his eyes as they enter the dark passage to make his eyes adjust quicker to the sudden change in lightining conditions.

But just how did those guards arrive just at the nick of time when they don't even have any plausible reason to search for group such as this? He pondered silently to himself.

Eiko
2010-12-19, 02:34 PM
At the promise of later drinking Donovan grins, almost ferally. A word would be lovely, if that was what she was implying. If not, someone would, after all he was flexible. As the elf showed up and traded threats with his companion he simply smiled, he'd have it sorted or have his throat slit. If things went wrong it certainly couldn't be his fault so why do anything but watch with interest.

At the mention of guards however his smile soured, "Getting caught by the watch would be annoying, we'd have to spend forever getting the blood out, from their uniforms or our own. I'm not in the mood to dance, so why dont we move along." He turned to their elf informant "What's this passage then miss... Leona?"

"Since I assume leaving those of us less able to hide themselves to the guard's tender care isn't an option."

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-19, 02:38 PM
"Looks like you need some light." In his hand a fire crackles to life taking the form of a longsword. The illumination throws back the shadows.

Standard action: Burning Edge, Taking 10
10+20(Bending skill) =30
30 -10(DC) =20 Augment points
20 Augment points -20 (+20Reach) =0

effect: Longsword with 25Reach.

Mordokai
2010-12-19, 02:40 PM
"I certainly hope it won't come to that. I have no wish of knowing the inside of the city prison. So, for now, I say we listen what our savior has to say and see where she leads us. It almost certainly can't be any worse than what the guys downstairs have in mind for us."

Eiko
2010-12-19, 02:46 PM
"Now now now, do we really need to be so brash and obvious, this is a secret passage" With that he slipped the ring off, his usual black cloaked self taking over from where the redhead had stood, he mentally began counting to ten in his head. "Once again it seems our delightful companion of the fairer sex has the right idea,"

On the count of ten he replaces the ring on his finger, blonde hair fading to purest white, skin fading into an ashen gray as his features softened. As Donovan next spoke it was in far more delicate, if more harsh tones; the drow woman now standing in his place's in his opinion far more suited to his new environment. "In doubt any of us care to be at the mercy of another, particularly those as pointless as the guard."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 03:08 PM
From behind you, Leona mutters, "Pointless... my my, what a novel euphemism." Maneuvering her way into the front of the group, she shows the way down. From the noise around you it seems that the passage travels between the walls of the inn, and down underground. Lighting a torch for herself, she begins to walk down the passage.

Denomar
2010-12-19, 05:20 PM
Mordrent had been silent up until now. What was there to say anyway? If the group was not telling him to start slaughtering then it was best to remain silent anyway.

As the Secret Passage is revealed Mordrent moves to enter, with a thought the shield on his back moves out to within one foot of his back, with a hand on his sword he enters the tunnel.

"Subtlety is not my forte, but if you wish it so, than it shall be."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 06:00 PM
After several minutes of walking downward, the passage levels out, widening into a well built stone corridor. Leona waits for you to descend, then begins to usher you along. "This passage continues for another mile and a half, until it joins with the sewers. From there you can get into the city. I will travel with you until then." Her voice seems to echo in the emptiness.

Eiko
2010-12-19, 06:25 PM
Tossing back her hood Donovan stepped in front of their elven guide and stared her down; her current form an ashen mirror of the woman in front of her. "Why are you helping us, its awful convenient that the guards showed up on a random bunch of travellers and that you should have a passageway. My friend here means something to you or do you have some deeper reason for helping us?"

((rolling sense motive on however she responds))
[roll0]

Denomar
2010-12-19, 06:26 PM
Mordrent's eyebrow rises underneath his helm.

This is well built for an underground passage into a city that only a rogues guild uses. Did your people build this? Or find it?

Imperceptibly, Mordrent's grip tightens on his blade. A wider passage means an easier ambush.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 07:11 PM
"Very well. I can see that you are as impatient as Cynath used to be." Her facial expression, at once unnerved and amused, seems to flicker between Mordrent and Donovan. "I can answer your seeming myriad questions now, if you wish."

Denomar
2010-12-19, 07:24 PM
"Indeed". Says Mordrent.

Mordrent is actually quite glad for this 'light conversation' thing. Supposedly it puts people at ease with his unholy presence.

....of course its never worked in the past seeing as he generally killed whomever he was talking to moments afterwords.

'practice makes perfect' he thinks to himself.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-19, 09:48 PM
Turning to face all of you at last, Leona brings down her grey hood, and begins to speak in a soft, yet harsh undertone. "Firstly, the guards did not, as you put it, show up on a bunch of random travelers. They came for your group. The Knights-Militant, along with their new dog in command of the City Watch, were tipped off anonymously three days ago to the imminent arrival of a mass of evil cultists, or some such. Naturally, we heard of the affair, and so here I am, hiding you away like naughty children. I had no idea that Cynath was to be a part of your group, and in the end it does not matter. It is of vital importance to the Guild that you enter the city unhindered. As for the secret passage, it was merely a matter of probability and odds. With the new curfew in place, no one can leave or enter the city during the night, so the only places to stay were the four inns outside of Solstice. Every single one of those establishments has a secret passage into the city, and every single barkeep is in our pay. We are the Nightsong Guild, and we do not leave things to chance." Her tirade seemingly over for the time being, she continues down the corridor in silence.

Denomar
2010-12-20, 12:28 AM
"Ah, good. In preparation is strength. I'd hate for you to forget the liberetto."

How fascinating! A thief that can't control her own temper. Very different indeed from Cynath. Perhaps this is why they parted ways.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 12:48 AM
Synia is positively thrilled by the development. It can only get better from here. Taking her position at the end of the line, she smirks in Donovan's general direction. "I see your penchant for deception has not yet gone away. That is good to know. Or is this just to fool around? In either case, you never dissapoint to amuse me."

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 01:24 AM
"Now now, that is just plain insulting. How dare they imply I am a cultist of all things: my religion is very real one!" he says with a small frown as he follows Leona down the passage. "In any case, it is good to know I won't have to bother to put my blade through your heart for the time being... It would be quite a waste. Though you still do owe an explanation on the guild's motives, if not to me then to the rest of the group"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 07:08 AM
While still walking, Leona calls back to you. "As if I know everything! I have no idea why you are needed within the city walls. Hurry up now, we are nearly there." In the distance ahead of you, the passage seems to branch off into a twisting labyrinth of tunnels and culverts. "Ah, the sewers at last. This, I believe, is where we part ways. Please do not try and follow me, or you will die. Good luck!" That said, Leona turns and runs off into the southern tunnel, and swiftly disappears.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 10:03 AM
Drynwyn rolls his eyes,creating an eerie effect de to the eldrtch color glowing in his left pupil. My arcane power would have been more than sufficient to simply teleport us out. I cand use it four times, and carry all but one fo us sith me. However, we now have some valuable information. If we assume that the Nightsong Guild is aware of our goal in coming to this city, than it seems that they have something to gain from our investigation of Cho'Sul's estate. Most likely, there is an item or items that they desire within the estate, but lack the power to remove. They probably intend to either blackmail or rob us blind as soon as we finish investigating the mansion. Also, it would probably be a good idea for our earnest Firebender to turn off his sword. There may be pockets of combustible gas in the sewers.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 10:21 AM
To the north, the tunnels seem to stretch out infinitely, with countless twists and turns. Straight ahead is an opening of some sort, and you can see some light up ahead. The ceiling has changed as well, from rough stone to a refined metal of some sort, much lower. Most of you will have to crouch or crawl to get through.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 10:46 AM
"What kind of trouble are we expecting when we get out of the tunel? If it's fighting, I propose we send Mordent into fray first." With that, she looks at the undead fighter. "He seems more than capable of handling anything thrown his way. If, however, it's talking that's on the menu, I humbly volunteer myself to go first. No offence meant Mordent, but you never striked me as one with silver tongue."

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 11:21 AM
It seems to me that stealth is our best bet. If we are not seen emerging, there is little reason to assume that we will need to talk or fight our way out of anything. Considering that this is a secret passage, it most likely comes up somewhere out of the way. I suggest sending our stealthiest member up first. Cynath, I think that means you.

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 12:04 PM
The elf merely nods without a word, adjusting his black hood and looking thoughtful (even despite the mask) for slight moment before deciding to add a question of his own to the conversation. "What will I do if I run into anything unexpected? Return back to you to tell about it, or...solve the problem my own way?" he makes a small twisting motion with his hands, leaving it very certain what he will do to anyone unexpected blocking the path in the case he gets his way on the matter. "It would be stupid to let anyone see us appear within the city if the guards are indeed on lookout for us, after all...".

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 12:09 PM
As the three of you stand talking, the light seems to shimmer somewhat, and you can hear a faint voice calling out to you from the chamber. "Hello? Who's there?" The voice sounds male, and you can detect a hint of something in his voice, blood quickening, beckoning and yet disagreeable at the same time. Fear perhaps?

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 12:18 PM
Stopping his quiet talking at once, he presses one finger against his mask and hold another hand up, clearly indicating the others to quiet down and remain where they are. Starting to take one silent step forward at the time, he begins to sneak towards the opening, careful to keep to the shadows.

DM:
Sneaking forward to investigate what exactly is in there without being heard (or at least heard no more than we already have been) or seen... So rolling both Move Silently and Hide, just in case.

[roll0] (Move Silently)
[roll1] (Hide)

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 12:35 PM
From your shady vantage point, you can see directly through the opening. A young boy, human by the looks of him, is sitting by a campfire. He seems to be in his teenage years, and is looking rather the worse for wear. His clothes are ragged, and by the looks of him, he has not shaved for some time. Even from more than fifteen feet away, you nostrils are filled with his cloying stench of rotten meat and feces. He is staring out into the darkness, with an expression on his face that can only be described as pure horror.

You have a surprise round, Grim and Donovan. Do whatever you want.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 12:35 PM
"Stealthiest indeed... that passage is more than wide enough for another." Donovan scoffs, reaching into his satchel bag and pulling out a rather ornate black mask, he dons it before removing the ring on his finger, his real face once more obscured by his hood and the mask.

"I'll show you real stealth, and it isn't in a body like this." Upon redoning the ring his form seems to almost, wither. What little flesh visible pales to gray and all excess flesh just seems to let away leaving a pale ghost of the previous man.

alternate form into a skulk, racial +15 to hide, +8 move silently. Ya rly. Don assassin mask for further +4 bonus to each

This then skulks off down the tunnel as well

Hide: [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 12:43 PM
Hmmm... lets make this a little more interesting. Synia thinks to herself.

Suddenly, the boy hears another voice in his head. A voice that says, they are behind you. Look out.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 12:46 PM
Truly terrified now, the boy begins to sprint, screaming, to the west through a well concealed small sewer, throwing shut an iron gate behind him. You hear him crying out for aid, the noise echoing on the unforgiving stone. "Sirramar help me! HELP!"

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 12:57 PM
DM:
Since you said Cynath had a surprise round and I was not right there to answer it at that second, can I use the surprise round nevertheless now? Oh, and if I can, am I close enough to the boy to get into the melee range before he gets away?

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 01:09 PM
Grim/Donovan:
He is too far away to make a melee attack, but either of you can hit him with a ranged attack through the closed sewer grate.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 01:13 PM
Synia looks a little dissapointed, but decides to take matters in her own hands again. Murmuring under her breath, she whips a hand in boy's direction. But not before signaling her compainons to stay their attacks for a little longer.

Casting Hold Person on the boy, Will save DC 23 to resist.

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 01:19 PM
Pulling his composite longbow and putting an arrow to the bowstring, the elf takes aim through the iron gate, frost coating the arrow almost instantly. "Stop in the name of the guard, or I will put an arrow to your back!" he calls after the fleeing human, hoping that the bluff will be enough to cause the human to stop. If not, he will loose the arrow.

DM:
Pulling a Bluff check to get the kid to stop and listen for a moment. Failing that, attack roll. Even without sneak attack this bow should do enough damage to drop him like sack of bricks.

(Bluff)

If that fails, attack roll:

[roll1]

and damage from it:

[roll]1d6+1d8+2

Edit: Gah, ninja'ed again! :smallfrown:

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 01:19 PM
All of a sudden, the boy halts in his tracks, stopped by an invisible force. You can see his puny efforts to break free, but to no avail. He begins to sob uncontrollably, murmuring to himself and praying for his god to save him.

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 01:24 PM
Seeing the human stopped on his tracks, very apparently due to magic, Cynath puts his bow to his back once again and instead examines the gate, trying to figure out how to open it and get to the human once it has been opened.

DM:
I am assuming Open Lock is in order here, so I shall deliver just in case it is:

[roll0] (Open Lock)

Edit: Well will you look at that. First natural 20 in the game :smalltongue:

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 01:25 PM
The rust gate swings open with a creak. The boy, upon seeing your approach, begins to shout and cry even louder than previously. "Please, Sirramar, Lord of Light, may my soul be..." He halts his prayer, seeing your entire group clearly for the first time. Staring at you silently now, he asks in a trembling voice, "Wh... Who are you, and what do you want with me?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 01:31 PM
Neglecting to respond as of yet, Cynath merely walks slowly towards the boy, making sure that his features are wholly covered by his black cloak and hood. "Quiet" he hisses out, making sure that his voice is as near to unrecognizable under the circumstances as he can make it. Circling the human like a wraith in the darkness, he waits for the others to arrive.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 01:38 PM
Synia stops behind a boy and whispers in his ear. Who are we, boy, is none of your concern. Suffice to say, we have a mission in this place, one you could not comprehend, even if we would to share it with you. Now, will you be good and not shout anymore when the magic binding you wanes? Or will my friend there and she points at Cynath have to kill you? Believe me when I say it, he would do it without a second thought."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 01:46 PM
He stops, dumbfounded, and stares at Cynath's bow. Startled, but more calm than before, he begins to speak in a more modulated voice. "Please sirs, I don't know anything. I'm just a common thief, that's what I am. I didn't mean any harm, just trying to escape the guards up above."

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 01:51 PM
"See, even humans can be reasonable every once in a while" Cynath says smoothly, something approaching smile hidden under his mask as he looks at the young thief. "Give us honest answers to the questions we ask and forget that we ever were here after we leave, and I will not have to kill you" he says, his tone almost friendly, something in the young lad reminding him of himself, what he had been like so many years ago when first becoming a rogue.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 01:55 PM
"You actually made my friend smile. Or at least as close to it as possible. I guess there's some hope for you yet. But as he said, give us some information and we'll let you go."

Denomar
2010-12-20, 02:01 PM
As the two rogues seem to all but disappear Mordrent does what comes naturally to him....

....And simply strides forward as if he were the embodiment of an unstoppable Juggernaut. So sure in his stride is he that he doesn't falter when the gate actually swings open. Perhaps this is lucky as smashing the gate off its hinges would doubtless have caused much more noise.

Approaching the cowering youth and his companions Mordrent nods to himself. Here, finally, the shape-shifter has started to show his strength. Unlike this excuse for a boy before him.

I'd roll an intimidate check to keep the boy scared and quiet but I don't feel he's worth the time.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 02:02 PM
"What do you want to know?" As the boy's knocking knees are spread, you can see a large stain on his breeches. Trembling and whimpering, he awaits your dread inquiries.

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 02:13 PM
His tone and posture remaining neutral for now, Cynath pulls his hood back, his grey eyes looking right into those of the human."Are you part of the Nightsong Guild?" the elf asks quietly but clearly. "How many guards are up there? In what part of the city are we?".

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 02:17 PM
The wretched creature turns to you. "No sir, I ain't part o' no Guild. They denied me access. As for the guards, there be at least four legions within the city walls, not includin' the knights. Currently, we be underneath the Ivory Market." Beginning to whimper yet again, he asks to be set free.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 02:29 PM
Synia nods at Cynath and Mordent. "Perhaps he can serve as a distraction. We point him in one way and he makes a lot of noise, while we slip the other way, mostly unseen. What do you think?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 02:34 PM
Looking sharply at Synia, his voice takes on somewhat sharp and ironic edge. "And when they catch him, then what? Do you seriously think he will hold his tongue any better with the knights as the interrogators? We will have people on our tail again before the night is out". His tone has become somewhat colder again, and his fingers tap the handle of the dagger hanging from his belt. "Let's just let him go, for now. But it would pay to have some sort of insurance just in case he decides to have a tack of poor judgement and sell us out".

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 02:38 PM
"If he's going to betray us, he's going to do it anyway. But if he attacks a guard before that... even if he survives that, who would take him seriously?" At the last words, Synia winks at Cynath.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 02:40 PM
"If he's going to betray us, he's going to do it anyway. But if he attacks a guard before that... even if he survives that, who would take him seriously?" At the last words, Synia winks at Cynath.

Umm, I'm pretty sure he meant "a tack of poor judgment."

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 02:49 PM
"Perhaps he can be useful...for now" the rogue mutters and turns his attention back to the boy. "Lead us to the quieter part of the Ivory Market, as far away from guardhouses and the like as possible and you won't have to endure the threat on your life for much longer" he says, pulling his hood back up to cover his head. "If you do choose to betray us, however... there are worse factions out in the night than Knights. I hear that the Guild does not like to have freelancers working on it's territory, and your skills still need honing... It would be such a shame if you were brought into their attention, wouldn't you say?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 02:56 PM
Now that his life is ensured for now, the coward stands more upright. "Alright sirs, follow me. You must be careful though, the guards will be patrolling every single street until dawn." Moving quickly now, he begins to lead you even further to the west.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 03:02 PM
Feh. I think this thief might be more effective as a zombie, though I had best wait till he finishes guiding us. (Aloud) Boy, you had best not be leading us into a trap. If you are, I will personally ensure that you die a slow and painful death, followed by the animation of your wretched corpse to serve me for all time.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 03:05 PM
The boy, looking back at Drynwyn, suppresses a sob and keeps walking ahead in the same direction.

Grim ranger
2010-12-20, 03:07 PM
"That is quite enough" Cynath says with his usual, silent but vaguely threatening tone. "Stop intimidating him, he has already agreed to do what we need him to do. So stay your hand...and tongue to the bargain, if you will. At least for now".

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 03:19 PM
After almost a full hour of walking through the endless sewers, at last you enter a large chamber. The stone seems lighter here, more finely cut. There are torches as well, carefully inserted in slots on the wall. On the far side of the room, a stairwell extends to a fortified door. The boy, waiting until after you enter, stands back at the entrance to the sewers. "Here we are, as promised. This door will take you up to the market. Please sirs, I've done what you'se asked. Please let me go. I won't tell a soul, I swear." As he finishes speaking, you can see the raw terror in his eyes.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 04:04 PM
As the boy turns to look round at the group, terror will likely turn to confusion as his gaze is met with his doppleganger. "Thanks for the help friend, so what was the name then?" As unnerving as meeting your reflection is, them smiling and asking you questions must be worse.

Should the child answer Donovan's questions more details will be enquired about, family, where he lives, who he knows. The basics you would need to impersonate someone.

Happy to roll bluff, diplomacy or intimidate to get this information out of him

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 04:49 PM
The boy answers your questions, to the best of his ability. "My... my name is Artan, and m'family died three years ago. I live here, in the sewers. I don't know anyone outside of this place, 'cept the kind priest, Patron Gullari. He helped me, he did. Gave me food and water, and invited me to stay with him at the church. That's all I can tell ye, sirs." He begins to back away slowly into the recesses of the shadows, his eyes still fixed upon the mirror image of himself.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 04:59 PM
"So my name is Artan, and guess I really miss mum and dad. I might want to have a run in with that kind priest for information then. I'm sure he was ever so helpful to us."

As he speaks the Donovan advances slowly, keeping pace with the poor boy as he went, the distance between them not changing until artan hit a wall. "Now, since I'm Artan and I'm off to do what I always do I don't want to see any dopplegangers on the surface if you get my drift? Tell you what I'll make you a nice little deal."

The smile, a strange one for a child to be wearing twisted into a feral grin; more just an excuse to bare teeth. "You stay down here and I'll give you a coin or two for your troubles, however if I even hear a hint there's another little boy who looks like me running round then I'll have to do something about it"

Cruel he knew, but there was a certain guilty pleasure in scaring children.

Shadow jaunt manoeuver expended to teleport up to 50 ft as a move action. ASAP will take a full round action to refresh and reselect readied manoeuvres.
In the blink of an eye Donovan went from his spot talking to the poor child to a comfortable stance leaning on the wall next to him. "We got a deal kid?"

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 05:18 PM
Just by the way, if he isn't willing to do business with you, than I could use an skeleton thief. If you have to kill him, try not to damage his corpse, okay?

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 05:25 PM
Breaking down entirely, Artan begins screaming and sobbing uncontrollably. "Please, please, please don't kill me, I'll do anything you want! I'll stay down here, just please, let me live!" He falls to his knees, his spirit utterly crushed.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 05:35 PM
Hmphh. Well, I guess that it would be kind of difficult to take an animated skeleton through the market. Wait here for our return. We'll want a guide out, and I might have a few more questions for you. Let's go. Drynwyn heads up to the door, gesturing for his fellows to follow him. He opens the door a crack and gazes out.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 05:40 PM
The door opens up into a small alcove, well built out of the same light stone as the large room you just left. About twelve feet above you is a manhole cover, from which a ladder extends to your level. Through the slits in the metal, you can see that the stars are out, but the moon is setting. It will be dawn soon.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 05:40 PM
I step back inside.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 05:45 PM
"Then we have a deal then" Donovan beams happily at the sobbing child. "Cheer up, I'll be back in two days with food and in a week's time I'll give you a few gold coins to get you started on being a proper thief. After all I'm as good as my word so you can count on it if you do right." my morality and word both being entirely mutable and subjective of course

He then leans in to whisper just to the child.
"I meant what I said kiddo, your never going to make it as a thief as you are right now. Toughen up, you came this close to death and your still here, and richer for the experience. When your older and you ever see a picture with a bright blue lotus on it just lying around, follow the trail, maybe my goddess could teach you a thing or two if you're brave enough to learn."

"Right then, shall we sirs and madams? Being a simple beggar kid I guess you're all in charge" He bows solemnly before returning to a grin more befitting the child he wore.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 05:51 PM
From the streets above, you can hear the clamor of shouts, and the sound of metal boots on stone. The opening in the grate is lit up with torchlight as a guard patrol at least twenty strong marches across the manhole cover.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 05:56 PM
We need a way to get to 14 Redwing, near the church of Sirramar, without being seen. Boy, you said the preist of Sirrammar was kind to you. Do you know a way to get to his church unseen?(

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 05:59 PM
Looking up, the boy seems a little bit more confident, and answers your question without hesitation. "Sure, sir. If you follow Ropart Crescent all the way t' the eastern edge of the Ivory Market, that's where the more upper class residential districts are. Redwing Street is you' first left hand turn. Simple, really. As for the church, there is a passage that connects to the cellars. Come back later and I will show you."

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 06:05 PM
Why later? Frankly, we need to get somewhere safe, and relatively quick.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 06:08 PM
Pulling out a loaf of rotten bread from his pocket, he begins to chew on it rapaciously. Staring at you now nonchalantly, he speaks, with his mouth still full. "Sorry, sirs, I just assumed you was gonna wait for dawn, and go to Redwing Street, I mean' no disrespect." He spits out one of his teeth on the floor, accompanied by a continuous stream of blood.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 06:12 PM
We are. However, the place we need to go to is near there, and it would be best if we could go unnoticed.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 06:28 PM
"Uh... Well... It's kind of heavily guarded. I was caught in there once, trying to sneak out some food from the pantries, they've had it guarded ever since." The boy lets out a sheepish grin, which is swiftly stifled. "You could beat 'em, though, I'm sure of it."

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 06:35 PM
Hm. An advantageous strategic position, AND an opportunnity to kill something. Sounds like a plan. Mordrent, follow behind him. Boy, show me the way.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 06:50 PM
"Which one of us?" Donovan asked with a grin. "Fairs fair but I have a deal with the lad. That and if you cant remember simple instructions well..."

Skill trick: Listen to this, to perfectly replicate what I heard recently

"Ahem. Follow Ropart Crescent all the way t' the eastern edge of the Ivory Market, that's where the more upper class residential districts are. Redwing Street is you' first left hand turn. Simple, really. As for the church, there is a passage that connects to the cellars"

Creepily to any listeners, it will be as if they were hearing the boy speak again, every tone and accent and tic identical to the previous itteration by the real boy.

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 07:02 PM
We know the route. However, if you recall, we do need to get their with some stealth. As the estate is near the church, if we access the cellar, we can get to the estate without much difficulty.

Denomar
2010-12-20, 07:11 PM
"He has given his word, that should be enough for us. After all, he knows the price of weakness."

Mordrent turns to the youth with a grim smile.

"Perhaps you'll find some backbone eventually, the world will swallow you who without one.
As for us, I have doubts we will reach the manor undetected. And this little worm won't hold the knight's attention for very long. Either we split up or I'll have to draw attention to myself. That shouldn't be too difficult."

Eiko
2010-12-20, 07:28 PM
"Actualy if a distraction is required I think I would be good. The guards can't fly, and if the man they're chasing is simply, gone what can they do? I must say though I'm far more inclined to simply finding a way past undetected. After all the guards dont even know we're in the city at this point correct?"

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 07:33 PM
That seems like a good idea. Go out and create a distraction. 5 minutes after you leave, we will head out and make for the estate. You can meet us their after you elude the guards with some shapeshifting.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 07:39 PM
"But really, I don't see why such a distraction is needed. I like the kid's plan, simply wait for dawn and the guards to go away. If we're spending any decent amount of time in this city we need to learn to blend in. If anyone feels they can't then why did you even bother coming here?"

Donovan sighs resignedly into his hand, the action looking strangely adult on his current form. "If anyone feels incapable of walking across a town in daylight feel free to say so." The sarcasm is more than evident.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-20, 07:44 PM
After several minutes of hearing you debate strategy, Artan says, "Well, there is an easier way to do this, as the good sir suggested. It is nearly dawn, the curfew almost over. You can walk to this estate of you'se in the streets, good sirs." As if to illustrate his point, the light coming through the manhole cover above you seems to be a little bit brighter, and the noise of guards has long since gone.

Eiko
2010-12-20, 08:24 PM
"See?" Donovan smiled, placing his arm around Artan; the pair were disconcerting to look at to say for sure. "I knew he was a smart kid, I wouldn't look like him if he wasn't a smart kid."

Turning to look at the boy he smiled warmly "Nice to see you've grown a backbone. That'll serve you well, its all about knowing your limits then living on their edge."

"So sirs and madams, lets hit the streets and learn the town yeah?"

Drynwyn
2010-12-20, 08:42 PM
Let's indeed.

Denomar
2010-12-20, 08:56 PM
Mordrent pulls his cloak tight about himself with a frown. He does not speak and merely gestures you onward.

Disguise check to cover as much armor as he possibly can with his cloak. He's not very good at this sort of thing, and he sorta stands out in the best of times.

[roll0]

A blind Goat at midnight could identify him by sense of smell.

Mordokai
2010-12-21, 12:53 AM
"There's only one madam here Donovan. I know that is hardly enough for your ways, but it'll have to do." With that, Synia follows behind the group. Mordent may be first class when it comes to fighting and killing things, but disguise ain't his forte. If anybody would notice them, perhaps a quick talking would get them out of harms way fast enough. To that end, she actively looks for anything unusal, like guards being too nosy for their own good.

[roll0]

Grim ranger
2010-12-21, 01:34 AM
"Let us go then", Cynath says and begins to follow the rest of the group, but stops and doubles back to the boy as if he has forgotten something. "Thanks, by the way. You have been most helpful" he remarks and gives the kid one silver piece. "Try to stay alive, won't you?" he says almost in sense of light comraderie, patting the lad to the shoulder before turning and walking after the rest of the group.

"Your technique still needs work, though. Try to wear padded boots, should reduce the noise. And don't scream that much, it never helps anyway if someone does want to kill you" he remarks over his shoulder.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 08:48 AM
As you open up the manhole cover, you notice that this sewer was right in the middle of an alley. Luckily, there are few people walking around, as the enforced curfew is over for tonight. The buildings on either side of you extend several floors, and at one end of the alley is a large brick wall. In the distance behind you, a soon to be bustling marketplace assaults your senses, with people setting up their stands for the day, the red black aroma of roasting meat, and the early cries of merchants hawking their wares. You have arrived in the Ivory Market of Solstice.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 11:18 AM
Drynwyn heads towards 14 redwing, following the boy's instructions. On the way through the Ivory Market, he takes note of any stalls selling gems or arcane materials.

Denomar
2010-12-21, 12:37 PM
Look at them! All these insects prancing about hawking their wares as if they were actually Free. Mordrent would have burst out laughing at how ridiculous they were if he didn't have such self control. He follows closely at Drynwyn's heels. It wouldn't do for the little man to hurt himself while under his watch.

Mordokai
2010-12-21, 12:50 PM
Synia decides that sticking close to Mordent would be a wise idea. Not so much for his protection, but for her own. The undead fighter has proven to be a worthwile compainon and she could appreciate the skill with sword, even if she possesed none. She did posses other skills though. Picking her lute from her back, she struck a few chords. "Tell me Mordent... do you appreciate anything besides a good blade? Does music move your heart... or maybe even your feet? What is it that you enjoy perusing, other than your own perfection with the blade?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-21, 01:18 PM
Staying close by to the rest of the group, the rogue studies the stalls they pass, wondering if any of those he remembers are still operating in the Ivory Market. Marketplace is both good and bad thing for them to end up in: good in the fact that there are usually lots of people there, providing cover, and of course the obvious bonus of being able to shop some. The bad side is mostly centered around the guards and knights who are bound to patrol near the market or in it, but hopefully they are able to reach their destination before opportunistic patrol forces them to flee or initiate a slaughter in middle of busy street.

"And just what makes you think he actually has a heart?" he asks Synia politely, at same time looking around to spot wealthly-looking targets to "liberate" some funds from.

DM:
Rolling a Spot check to see if there is anyone worth pickpocketing amongst the clientele of the Market.

[roll0] (Spot)

Edit: And RNG throws hissy fit...again.

Mordokai
2010-12-21, 01:45 PM
The bard looks puzzled, before laughing. "Silly me, this is Mordent we're speaking about. I guess if I can't move his heart, I'll just have to work doubly hard on moving his feet, right?"

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 01:48 PM
Drynwyn glances back. Oh, he definitely has a heart. It's not beating, but it's definitely their. I should know, I've animated my share of undead."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 02:07 PM
As you walk through the streets, the city seems to come alive around you, a more beautiful and complex reanimation process than has ever been seen. Passing under a marble arch into the residential districts, the hubbub and noise seems to largely fade out, leaving you alone.

Mordokai
2010-12-21, 02:09 PM
"Yes, we've heard that like thousand times already." Synia says that with a pretty obvious boredom. "And you would probably do well not to boast about it out loud, less someone overhears us."

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 02:19 PM
Well, these must be the residential districts. Drynwyn lowers his voice and continuesNow Cynath, you will probably want to rob some of these places, and that's fine. Just don't get caught. By the way, if you'd like, I can scan the residents thoughts and maybe figure out what defenses they have.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 02:26 PM
"My my, starting early on the sinning and vice then gentlemen? Can't we just enjoy the sights, the sounds" he pauses as the pass a bread stand "the smells? Even simple pleasures are still pleasures. If you stopped acting so suspicious then maybe you could even enjoy yourself without the guards taking notice and putting an end to less than legal enjoyment."

"I mean, we own a mansion now, aren't you going to enjoy living in a city rather than forcing us to leave before we've even arrived?"

The child begins darting ahead and exploring, never straying overfar from the group, keeping them in eyesight. Whether Donovan is simply playing the part or genuinely enjoying himself is anyone's guess.

Grim ranger
2010-12-21, 02:27 PM
"Rob? You wound me" the elf says with sense of dignity creeping into his voice despite efforts to keep it neutral. "Any street thug can 'rob'. What I do is fine art, almost magical in nature... I don't have to lower myself to beating drunken louts in back alleys for few meager silver pieces".

Looking around, he adds "but if you can do it it will be much appreaciated. Ellas does not provide me with everything perfect operation needs".

Mordokai
2010-12-21, 02:32 PM
"Donovan has the right idea. Can't we wait a little longer until indulging ourselves in our... less than honorable professions? I am most interested in seeing what awaits us in this mansion that supposedly belongs to us now. And getting some comfort would be most appreciated, especially after spending so much time on a horseback and in sewers."

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 02:33 PM
You got it. Just tell me which house to target... Although, we may wish to visit our mansion first, then case these later. Your call.

Grim ranger
2010-12-21, 02:37 PM
"Let us visit the mansion first. I can always...cash in some of those noble houses later on. For now, I want to see what kind of place that old sack of bones had in Solstice"

Eiko
2010-12-21, 02:48 PM
After peeling off into a suitably dark and unwatched alley Donovan returns to the group with his hands bare and ringless, hood down and with blond hair cascading around a content, if a little pale, face. Simple, dull coloured but well made clothing makes up his attire, as well as a satchel bag at his hip. Those of the party who had bothered to notice that he uses his ring to shapeshift and that he is without it now may jump to the reasonable conclusion this is his real body.

He half jogged to rejoin the group as a whole, before taking up position walking next to Synia "Ah, but why must we find ourselves in the company of brutes without social etiquette. 'Tis a cruel fate that binds us to this destiny" He winks at her then grins at the group in general. "We really will have to see about acquiring you all more suitable clothing, dark robes and armour do not befit the wealthy manor owning family we have just become. Couldn't hurt for you to at least feign civility."

Grim ranger
2010-12-21, 02:53 PM
"Family? What kind of simpleton would fall for that ruse?" Cynath asks in very, very dry tone. "And if you try to get me into some ridiculous attire, you will have to tear my clothes off me first". The slight narrowing of his eyes is more than enough to tell the most that to try such would be to invite fight to the death.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 02:55 PM
Why not wear dark robes? Just upgrade to some better dark robes.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 03:01 PM
As you walk down what appears to be Redwing Street, the houses, while remaining opulent, slowly become more dilapidated. Arriving in front of number 14, you is not different. It is well built, put of dark stone. It looks to be two floors high, but rather large. The front door seems to be constructed out of ebony, and there is a faint aura of magic about the outer walls.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 03:05 PM
Drynwyn approaches the door and moves his hands in a complex gesture. His left eye pulses, and the pupil dilates,
Casting detect magic (Prepared, not spontaneous), 60 ft. cone, from door of house (Vertical as well as horizontal. Will scan all within range for 3 rounds, so I can detect location, strenght, and school of any magical auras.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 03:23 PM
You can detect a faint protection aura of some sort, throughout the house. There is something else on the door, a very potent defensive enchantment of some sort.

The entire house is under the effects of a permanent Endure Elements spell, and it seems as if the front door, when opened, triggers an empowered Blade Barrier.

Denomar
2010-12-21, 03:33 PM
Move my heart. Mordrent thought. beneath his helm Mordrent's lip curls into a sneer. What would be the point of that? Out loud he mutters only. "The only thing that will move my feet is a spear pointed at them."

As they approach the manor house Mordrent-despite his best intentions-Mordrent is overcome by a feeling of reminiscence. This is after all, very much like coming home. Although, the memories he has of this place are not happy one's they are memories nonetheless.

Turning his eyes to Synia he regards her carefully. She is...attractive, he'll admit. If such a thing had any natural affect on him. Strange that someone would be interested in trying to have a conversation with him at all...

To the group he speaks. "Shall I ring the bell?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-21, 03:39 PM
"And bring down every magical trap that Cho'Sul could have cast on it right down upon us? Don't be absurd" Cynath says, nodding towards Drynwyn. "Let him finish with his examination first so we will see if we have to simply avoid that gate".

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 03:41 PM
I would not do that.There is some sort of powerful magic on the door. We have a few options: 1, I attempt to dispel whatever magic is on the door, 2, I attempt to identify the magic, or 3, find an alternate route.

Denomar
2010-12-21, 04:17 PM
What about the wall? I wonder how thin it is....

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 04:25 PM
It might be a good idea to not knock holes in our own mansion. Drynwyn steps back from the door, in case his spell triggers anything. He raises his arms, and blueish sparks launch form his fingertips towards the door.
Casting Dispel Magic spontaneously, targeted version, at the door. Rolling dispel check: [roll0]

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 04:37 PM
You feel a strange, tugging sensation in your gut as you attempt to cast out the magic imbued in the door. Sparks race across the ebony surface, and there is a scent of burning flesh in the air. Unfortunately, it is to no avail, as when you finish your efforts, the enchantment remains mostly unpreturbed.

The dispel DC was 26, by the way.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 04:44 PM
"So, what does the trap do and did you get rid of it?"

Donovan sits down on the pavement, leaning back onto his arms as he relaxes to watch.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 04:50 PM
I did not get rid of it, and I don't know what it does. It might not be a trap, it might be.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 05:04 PM
"So, who feels lucky enough to see if it has more than one use?" at this he grins ferally. Time to see who was actually stupid enough to try it. In the mean time, he went about finding a suitable ground floor window for a good look inside.

Once he finds a suitable window will use the shadow jaunt manouever to teleport inside then spend full round action refreshing manoeuvres

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 05:17 PM
Donovan:

As the lingering shadows dissipate, you find yourself in what used to be an opulent dining room. From the looks of things, the entire house has been completely gutted, from the tapestries to the chandeliers. Even the fine wood paneling has been ripped out from most of the walls. Strangely, the front hall has been left untouched, with a wooden lever next to the door.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 05:44 PM
Drynwyn calls out to his companion inside the house Do you see anything that might disarm whatever's on the door?

Eiko
2010-12-21, 05:51 PM
"Nothing immediatly" If his shouted if somewhat muffled reply. He looks around for something to hide the lever with, should there be anything suitable he shall conceal it after pulling it.

"Stand back, I'm going to try an ancient trick passed down from my father" Technically true, making the simple sound difficult could be quite the useful trick. He pulls the lever and listens for the sound of a mechanism.

Should nothing go wrong he will then shout "Any way of knowing if the trap still works?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 05:53 PM
There is a small flash of indigo light, and then nothing. You hear a clanking noise as the door opens slowly by itself. Through the doorway, you can see the faces of your companions.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 06:07 PM
Drynwyn enters the room and looks around. Well, this room seems nice. He quickly looks around the room for anything of value.

Taking 10 on search check. +1 modifier, that gives me an 11.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 06:18 PM
You find what appears to be a beautiful, hand carved figurine of a woman, inside one of the cabinets in the front hall. It seems to be made out of onyx, with ivory for her locks and garnets for her eyes.

Knowledge (Geography) check would be appropriate here.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 06:20 PM
As the door opens Donovan grins and quickly don's his ring. As the party walks in they will be greeted by an old man in a dusty grey suit bowing respectfully; his face weathered by age and a thin pair of spectacles adorning his bearded face.

"You rang sir?" Was Donovan's drawling inquiry before he straightened up and laughed. "I'm afraid Sirs and Madam are late to the party, the other guests have already left and taken the furniture with them. Quite the shame really, we'll have to get replacements ordered in."

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 06:27 PM
Indeed we will. Perhaps our friend Cynath will "pick some up". Drynwyn than takes a close look at the statuette, attemting to estimate its value and if he knows anything about it.
Making an untrained Appraise check on the statuette, with +6 INT i should get an estimate. [roll0]. Alsoo making Knowledge Arcana and Dungeoneering check, just in case they help (Only knowledge skills with ranks)
[roll1] [roll2]

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 06:36 PM
From your own skill pool, you discern that it is a holy drow figurine of some sort, and is worth several thousand crowns, at the least. It seems to absorb the light around it in an almost parasitic fashion.

Denomar
2010-12-21, 06:38 PM
surveying the ruins Mordrent has but one thing to say.

He sounds fairly surprised too.

"I Like it."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 06:46 PM
As you enter what used to be the kitchen, you are confronted by a rather peculiar sight. Bolted to the wall is what looks to be a fully decomposed skeleton. There is no fresh blood left, but a still glistening message has been preserved on the floor tiles below him. It reads, in Common, "And so, the six arrive at last, just as planned. Come to the Library of Aen by the eleventh hour tonight." As you read, the letters erupt in flames and disappear.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 06:47 PM
Attention group. I found this holy drow figurine, it hsould be worth a couple thousand crowns. It is nonmagical, since I didn't pick up anything but a general protective aura and the door when I scanned the house for magic. Does anyone know any more about it? Dry

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 06:49 PM
This is an interesting development. Does anyone know about the library of Aen? Synia? If not, we may assume it is the library in this house. Being a wizard, I imagine Cho'Sul would have one. We should check the house.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 06:53 PM
rolling bardic knowledge on both the statue and the library (you never know)
Statue:[roll0]
Library:[roll1]

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 07:02 PM
Result of Bardic Knowledge:

The Library of Aen is the city's library. It is devoted to the goddess of prose and knowledge, Aen herself. It is located on the far side of the Ivory Market, further to the southeast of Solstice. It is overseen by an administrative body who reports to the priesthood of Sirramar.

As for the statue, it is a religious icon to Lolth, the Spider Queen, most likely the result of drow influence in Solstice, as some of the deeper tunnels and catacombs under the city lead to the Underdark.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 07:07 PM
Well, it says we need to be at the library by the 11th hour tonight. Based on the nature of this message, whatever takes place will likely be something that we do not want to be public. I suggest we go there now. I will study it, so that I can teleport back after curfew.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 07:10 PM
"The message refers to the city's library not the liche's, though its within the city walls and likely a public building it can actually also be considered a temple to its namesake; Aen a goddess of writing in all its forms. This is interesting as its actually owned and run by Sirrimar's lot and thus has very little to do with Aen. Its just on the other side of the ivory market."

After a few moments of likely awkward silence Donovan sighs and then exclaims "What, you never bothered to inquire about the cities you find yourselves near or in?"

Denomar
2010-12-21, 07:20 PM
"No Donavan. I rarely needed to know more than 'slay all who live there,' Master Cho'sul's directives were usually straight to the point. A shame this one is dead. I do wish I could have asked him who left this message"

Mordrent glances at Cynath. That would be your territory would it not?

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 07:31 PM
Well, Cynath? Do you have the skill to learn anything from this man's spirit?

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 08:23 PM
I don't believ Cynath has the power to do anything. I suggest we head to the library.

Eiko
2010-12-21, 08:35 PM
"A rather casual dismissal of another's capabilities there. I'm not sure I approve at all. Care to prove what makes it so you can say that? After all if leadership is for the strong then you must believe in your abilities to order us all about."

At first he acts brittle, his tone with an edge to it, before he seems to regain control of himself. He licks his lips and then speaks almost dismissively. "Go the the library if you want to waste time certainly, but its barely past dawn and our mark isn't expecting us till near midnight."

Denomar
2010-12-21, 08:38 PM
I agree. More to see in the mansion probably.

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 08:48 PM
Of course, I was getting ahead of myself. Let us continue into the next room of this mansion.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 08:53 PM
Treading throughout the ruins, you notice a strange pattern. Here and there, valuable items are strewn throughout the wreckage. A fine linen cloak, quite sturdy for an item of its make. A pair of finely crafted bead necklaces. A scarab charm of some sort. Whoever wrecked the manor must have done it for some other reason than to loot it, or these would not still be here. The stairs up to the second floor are completely demolished, and from the looks of things, there is little to see up there anyhow.

You find:
- Heward's Handy Haversack x1
- Necklace of Prayer Beads (30 semiprecious stones) x2
- +2 Cloak of Resistance x1
- Golembane Scarab x1

Drynwyn
2010-12-21, 08:59 PM
Since whoever destroyed this place felt no reason to loot it, they most likely did so for some other reason. Cho'Sul may have had enemies here. We should be on our guard in the library. It could easily be a trap. Drynwyn looks around for a set of stairs or the like as he passes thorugh each room. He alos attempts to spot anything of value.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-21, 11:26 PM
There seems to be something peculiar in one of the antechambers. Built into the wall is an exquisite, wood paneled cabinet that has been left untouched, a veritable alien flower in a wasteland. The latch appears to be in working condition, though.

UMD check (DC 25) for anyone trying to access the secret of the cabinet.

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 01:30 AM
"A rather casual dismissal of another's capabilities there. I'm not sure I approve at all. Care to prove what makes it so you can say that? After all if leadership is for the strong then you must believe in your abilities to order us all about."

At first he acts brittle, his tone with an edge to it, before he seems to regain control of himself. He licks his lips and then speaks almost dismissively. "Go the the library if you want to waste time certainly, but its barely past dawn and our mark isn't expecting us till near midnight."

"No, he is right. I would have to pray to my deity to be able to learn anything from this corpse, as she has not granted me that power today. Besides, the body is so badly damaged that I do not believe it can tell us anything worthwhile even if I try" Cynath replies solemnly. "So I believe more traditional means of gathering information are in order".

Walking after Drynwyn, he shakes his head at the destruction and pauses to pick up the Necklace of Prayer Beads, turning it thoughtfully in his hands. "Such a waste. It would take us a good while to get this place fixed up again... If we do try to do so, maybe we could invest in little better security solutions than Cho'Sul did".

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 01:35 AM
Synia puts her hands on the cabinet and begins murmuring words of arcane power under breath to herself. After only a few seconds, she beckons a wide grin. "This is almost too easy. I would think Cho'Sul would protect his secrets better than this."

UMD check 25, she can make it automatically.

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 01:48 AM
"If it seems to be too easy, it often is", the elf remarks as he enters the room, still turning the prayer beads thoughtfully in his hands. "Nevertheless, it is good that at least some of us can unlock the arcane mysteries of this place. It is bit...outside my department".

Denomar
2010-12-22, 04:35 AM
"and mine, I'm beginning to think I should remedy that...."

Mordrent frowns briefly.

"What did you find?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 08:25 AM
The cabinet opens slowly, the mirrored sections retracting into the wall and disappearing, like smoke off of water. Beyond, there is a stairwell that seems to extend under the ground. The walls are reinforced with a dark, alien stone. The empty torch in the holster beyond the cabinet, as soon as the cabinet dismantles itself, ignites into eerie green flames.

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 08:54 AM
"Well, it seems there are some secrets in this place that have not been found by those that wrecked it before we arrived", the rogue thinks aloud and bows his head slightly at Synia. "Good to have someone in handy who can unlock the mysteries here. Shall we?" he says mildly, gesturing at the stairwell.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 09:11 AM
As you descend, you notice a fell odor on the air, a pungent stench of rot that only seems to increase the further your go. At the bottom of the stairwell is a small antechamber. The walls are the same color, and the lighting the same. There seems to be nothing here, just a dead end.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 09:24 AM
"Like I said, that was easy. I very much the old bag of bones made everything that easy. I guess we'll see soon enough." When they arrive to the dead end, Synia frowns. "Case in point. I could use your help here. Maybe if we look hard enough, we'll find something. There just has to be something. No way Cho'Sul would go to all the pain of hiding the dead end."

Roling Search and Spot in OOC.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 09:49 AM
While examining the left wall, your hand seems to pass through it. Apparently, the lich was more clever than he appeared.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 10:01 AM
Now it's time for Synia to frown. No idea what would be hiding on the other side of the wall. Despite the credit given to him(or rather, the lack of it), Cho'Sul was smart. Bowing her head a little, she whispers in Abyssal. "May the powers of my fiendish overlord protect me." She then tries stepping through the wall, hoping her luck would turn out for the best once again.

Inciting Evil's Blessing, +11 bonus to all saves for five rounds.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 10:07 AM
As soon as Synia steps through the illusory wall, there is an audible sound, that of a hand bell ringing throughout the darkness. There is a grinding noise, and an immobile, vertical curtain of whirling blades made of pure force springs up around her.

Roll a Reflex save [DC 24]

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 10:15 AM
Doing her best to avoid the blades, Synia is far too busy to even shout a warning to her comrades.

SR 16 still in place, if it makes any change. Probably not, but it merits mentioning. As for that reflex...

[roll0]

Eiko
2010-12-22, 10:36 AM
Upon hearing whispered words of abyssal Donovan's eyes widen with comprehension, well well well, I wonder why our charming companion knows such dark ways. When she walks through the wall and a bell chiming can be heard he bristles and takes up a more battle ready stance almost on reflex.

swift action to enter child of shadow stance: concealment if I move

"Are you still there?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 10:40 AM
As Synia manages to weave her way through the blade barrier, she finds herself in a dark chamber. Row upon row of bookshelves line the walls, and the air is thick with the rank stench of congealed flesh. Near the end of the hall, there is a large rack, from which several abominations hang, the result of failed experiments. From the looks of it, this was Cho'Sul's library and laboratory.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 10:51 AM
Breathing out a sight of relief, Synia takes in the full vista before her. Her eyes easily penetrate the darkness and she can't help but once smile to herself. I bet Drywyn will love this. How very predictable... Hearing Donovan's inquiry from the other side of the wall, she aswers back. "I am ok. Though if you value your skin, you will not follow me. There are enough blades this side of wall to chop even Mordent into little pieces. Look on your side of the wall, maybe there's a switch or something to turn it off. I'll do the same on this side." Of course, doing this could take time...

Looking for anything interesting, also taking care to notice any switch that would turn the blade barrier of on my side of laboratory.

[roll0]
[roll1], to see if there's anything particulary interesting, magic related.
Taking 20 on Search, for a grand total of 26. Taking pain to avoid blade barrier.

Eiko
2010-12-22, 11:02 AM
"How thick is the barrier and how long is the room, if I jump forward ten feet will I survive the experience?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 11:03 AM
There is no switch that you notice, though the blade barrier disappears after several minutes. From a shadowed alcove to your left, you can hear the plaintive whimpering of what sounds to be a person of some sort. A further investigation reveals a humanoid figure, bound in chains and half starved. He cries out to you, "Please, help me. You have to let me out of here, I'm begging you!" His eyes have been burnt out with a poker, and he has terrible scars all over his body.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 11:12 AM
"You'll need to jump at least twice as long to survive Donovan. Don't tempt fate. Try to find a switch. It must be on your side, because I see none on mine." Hearing the crying she turns her attention towards the person in the room. "Oh my. What have we here? What has happened to you, you poor soul?"

I went by SRD, which says blade barrier can extend to 20 feet, just to be on the safe side. If Donovan can actually make the jump, tell me... so I can roll bluff :smallbiggrin:

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 11:16 AM
"Oh, do jump and get shredded into bite-sized pieces. I guess the rats of the city sewers need food as well" comes the snarky comment from the depths of Cynath's hood as he tries to think what to do in the situation. "And who is in there? Someone important?" he asks a moment later with apparent disinterest.

Eiko
2010-12-22, 11:44 AM
"Gentlemen, its been a pleasure working with you." He walks calmly into the illusionary wall his form vaguely blurring as he goes and vanishes behind its concealing curtain. Promptly after sounds of rending flesh and horrible screams are heard.

Move into the wall as blade barrier was slightly beyond the wall itself,the use shadow stride to go 21 feet directly forward. Afterwords turn around and use the spell ghost sound to fake noises of his grisly death. Lasts for 3 rounds but I'm "dead" by then.

A grinning and fully intact Donovan turns to Synia and puts his finger on his lips, gesturing for her to be quiet. He walks over to her and whispers in abyssal "Don't say anything, I want to see if they believe that. Oh, and whose your friend here?"

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 11:51 AM
Swirling around on her heels, Synia eyes open wide as blade barrier fires up again. When Donovan steps next to her, a genuine smile adornes her face. Answering in tongue of demons, she whispers to him. "You sure know how to impress a lady. I'm not sure who this is, I was just asking the same question. Lets see what he will tell us. We're obviously in Cho'Sul' study and laboratory, so my guess is this is one of his more recent experiments."

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 11:55 AM
For some reason, the horrific sounds of Donovan's death are heard, even though the effects of the blade barrier have long since been over. In the chamber, the person introduces himself. "Please, my name is Markus, Father Markus of the Church of Sirramar. I thought there was no one left here, may He have mercy on my soul." It looks as if he has been here several weeks, as he is badly malnourished and looks as if he could be cleaned up. His state robes, as tattered and soiled as they are, seem to lend credence to his claim.

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 12:01 PM
"Is the slicing deathtrap already taken care of? Because if it has, and if Donovan is not spread more or less evenly along the floor and only mortally injured, I would like to see what that old sack of bones was up to in here".

Eiko
2010-12-22, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately for the priest in front of him, a person cannot hear a predatory bareing of teeth. He gently places his hand on the priests arm and then speaks to him quietly, trying not to let his voice carry. "Thank goodness we found you father, my companion and I were following stories of a missing priest from a street urchin and the leads pointed here; forgive my companion's harsh words they haven't been the same since that awful incident with the lich. I'll see if there's a way to get you down. Who did this to you?"

rolling bluff if I need to [roll0]

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 12:11 PM
In the creeping dark, the priest whispers to Synia, "Do you know when he will return? He was there, he blotted out the sun! Nothing could stop him!" The expression on the old man's face is something akin to horror, and yet there is an element of wonder there.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 01:57 PM
"Hush father, we shall save you. However, that might not be easy. I see no key to your chains. Do you know who did this to you and where they might be hiding the key? And what is this about blotting out the sun? What are you talking about?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 02:09 PM
The priest, after taking a minute to compose himself, responds. "It was him, the torturer, the eternal, the undying one! He has kept me from my rightful Lord, and so my suffering has been made manifest. There is no escape, for anyone. This world will burn." He starts as if to speak again, but breaks into a coughing fit instead.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 02:14 PM
Her voice tighteting a bit, Synia forces herself to continue speaking as normal. "Father Markus, this is most important. We need to know as much information as you can provide. We've been working on stoping the undying one for a longest time and we feel we are close to achieving victory. Yet, it seems the fiend has set a plan into motion we are not aware of. You may be the only who can help us. We need you to remember as much information as possible. Any detail, no matter how minute or unimportant it may seem will benefit us greatly."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Denomar
2010-12-22, 02:17 PM
The sounds of a grisly death are nothing new to Mordrent, he is surprised though. Donovan hadn't seemed like the type to so casually throw his life away. Seeing no reason to throw away his own Mordrent goes to search another room of the house.

Search check to find anything that I might have remembered Cho'sul using personally. It'll have nostalgic worth if nothing else.
[roll0]

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 02:18 PM
Deciding to try his luck with the spiky and by the sounds of it pretty painful obstacle barring him from entering the room Synia ventured into, Cynath first draws his rapier and pokes it cautiously through the illusion preventing him from seeing further and meeting no resistance steps through, sighing almost imperceptibly in relief as he is not cut up on the spot.

Casting a sour look at Donovan, the rogue stays silent, only poking his hand back through the wall to give "all clear" signal to the rest of the party before continuing to listen the exchange between the priest and Synia.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 03:22 PM
Father Markus seems to falter, his breath becoming more ragged. "I... I cannot tell you too much. The last day of light, the assault of the beast, and then I was... I was here, with him! He took the light, and turned it do darkness! It is ALL HIS!!!" After this last, thunderous outburst, the man finally collapses, lifeless.

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 03:38 PM
Stepping next to the priest and checking his pulse to be sure he really is dead, Cynath clicks his tongue behind his mask and looks mildly annoyed. "Congratulations, you just managed to get the only source of even somewhat reliable information we thus far found alive to talk himself to death". He casts cold look at both Donovan and Synia before withdrawing from the corpse, shaking his head. "Now what we do? I believe Cho'Sul did not see fit to leave us much in way of reliable information" he says bitterly, turning his back to the pair and trying to think instead of fantasizing about chocking Synia and Donovan alike to death in their sleep... It is a fantasy he knows will never come true, but one can always dream.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 03:50 PM
"Well, you're the one with divine connection here. If you can't think of anything to get results from corpse, none of us can. As for information, there's enough books in here, we're bound to find something in them. And there might be other secret rooms. We'll find something. In the meantime, I guess reading a few of these books can't hurt." With that, Synia takes a couple of books down. She can read them later, when she has more time.

Taking a look at the library, does it have anything on the subject priest spoke about? I guess Search would be appropriate for that.

[roll0]

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 03:51 PM
Mordent: As your associates investigate the mysteries of your former master's laboratory, you have been scouring the ancient rooms to find anything of personal value. All of a sudden, you hear a rather loud knocking at the front door of the mansion.

Synia: You have spent your time looking through old musty tomes on the history of the region, and so far have found nothing of value.

Grim ranger
2010-12-22, 03:58 PM
Casting somewhat pointed look at her, the rogue gives his reply in somewhat clipped tone. "I will see what I can do. I will have to meditate and ask for the powers that be to grant me something that can wring out answers from a dead body... At the end of the day, that is".

Starting to inspect the laboratory himself, he collects anything that looks expecially valuable or useful, but leaves the book-browzing for others. "You might want to write the questions down in advance... the kind of magic that would allow him to tell us something worthwhile in his current, posthumous state is not usually very long-lasting".

DM:
Rolling for Search check to spot any useful or valuable, looking items to be hoarded from the laboratory.

[roll0] (Search)

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 04:12 PM
"Well, so much about that. I give up. Dyrnwyn, maybe you should try. You're, shall we say, more familiar with the subject. In the meantime, maybe somebody should check on Mordent?"

Denomar
2010-12-22, 05:02 PM
Who could possibly be....

Ever business like, Mordrent goes to the door. Clearly whatever magic was protecting it did not reactivate when the door was closed, nonetheless he pulls his obsidian edged greatsword from its sheathe on his back, positioning himself so the sword is hidden behind the door he carefully opens it.

"Good afternoon. How can I help you?"

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 05:05 PM
An elderly dwarf stands in front of the doorway, and seems genuinely shocked to see you. "Oh, pardon me sir. I didn't know you was stayin' here. Have ye heard about tha trial? I be givin' out free newsletters today."

Denomar
2010-12-22, 05:12 PM
I'm afraid I have not. The Master of the house is away from town on a long vacation, in his absence news has been sparse. We normally do not accept fliers but I'm a curious man.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 05:43 PM
The flier, an ostentatious affair of gold and scarlet ribbon, is a formal, citywide invitation to an example of the "noble process of law", as it pertains to several "dangerous criminals" in Falcon Square, near the northern gate of Solstice. It is scheduled for the second hour, a little while from now. Apparently, the session will be hosted by Eos, Knight-Militant of Sirramar and the Captain of the City Watch.

Denomar
2010-12-22, 05:45 PM
Criminals eh? What have you heard of them? And how many. If I'm to take the house staff for entertainment I expect it would be of sufficient...quantity.

Mordrent grins.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-22, 05:51 PM
The dwarf fellow, blanching visibly at the ghastly sight of a corpse grinning at him, does the best he can to extricate himself from this situation without creating a stir. "Um, about five or six, couple o' thieves, and some murderers from the Nightsong Guild, I hear. Well, I'd best be goin' now." He walks down the street as quickly as his stubby legs can carry him.

Denomar
2010-12-22, 06:05 PM
As pointed out on the ooc page, Mordrent is completely covered in plate armor. It's intimidating, but it'd take quite a bit of effort to figure out he's undead.

Nervous fellow. Must have been the armor.

Mordrent wanders off to find his companions, especially Cynath, to let them know that it seems that some of his old friends are about to be executed.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 06:09 PM
In the meantime, Synia decides she has enough of the dank chamber and decides to look for Mordent herself. As she climbs the flight of stairs, she calls out. "Mordent, where are you? We wouldn't want you to fall to any of possible traps, would we now?"

Denomar
2010-12-22, 06:18 PM
If you consider the kitchen a trap I agree with you. I think Pelak fell down the remnants of the oven.

He tosses the newsletter to her.

What do you think? Is it a trap?

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 06:21 PM
"Good. In that case, lunch is as good as served." Cracking a smile at her own joke, she skims over the paper thrown at her. "A trap for Cynath? From what we heard, he has little sympathy for his former friends. For us all? It seems a little farfetched. What do you think?"

Denomar
2010-12-22, 06:26 PM
"Seems a little obvious even to me. The messenger told me that there were 'Six' of them."

Mordrent's voice darkens.

"That coward in the sewer probably talked."

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 06:30 PM
"Well, that's easy to check. We just send Donovan out and see if he gets arrested and hanged. Then we'll know it's safer for the rest of us to stay inside. But seeing this probably isn't an option, we better come up with something else. Maybe only one or two of us could go and see it and then report back. Cynath is good at hiding and I can blend in with crowd, they'd be hard pressed to find me out. Sounds like a good idea?"

Denomar
2010-12-22, 06:33 PM
"Oh Donovan's alive? It sounded like he was eaten by a swarm of gnats. Must have thrown someone else in I guess."

Mordrent shrugs.

"If you think he'll go. That's fine"

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 06:36 PM
"Always a prankster. But yes, he still lives. Though I imagine none of us will live much longer if we ever again pull trick like that on Cynath. He seemed... displeased, for one reason or another. But come, shall we explain the plan to the others?" With that, Synia extends a hand before her, gesturing for Mordent to take the position in front.

Drynwyn
2010-12-22, 06:50 PM
Hey, it look's like I'll get my skeletal thief after all. Seriously, though, I'm not as certain as you that this is a trap. The dwarf seemed genuinely surprised that there was anyone here.

Denomar
2010-12-22, 06:57 PM
"If the knights of Sirramar truly believe that We're in town, and they Know Who We Are. Then why cause a panic by telling the messenger that he's walking straight into the jaws of death?"

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 07:06 PM
"Lets not forget that, by the words of Father Markus, Cho'Sul was preparing something big. Maybe the knights were onto him and now that's he's dead they'll be looking for us. Maybe it's a little farfetched, but we can't leave that possibility out. Like I said, one or two people would probably do better than our entire group. But if you all want to go, I can hardly stop you."

Drynwyn
2010-12-22, 07:09 PM
We really should have "removed" that boy. However, only one of us is associated with the nightsong guild or a thief. It seems that this is a clumsy lure, if it is anything more than a coincidence. It could be a lure, however. Goodness generally means a profound lack of intelligence.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 07:14 PM
At this last statement, Synia visually bristles with anger. It's quite a weird sight, seeing an always calm and collected bard angry. "Do not underestimate our enemies! Many good plans have been laid low by doing that and I'll not have this one be one of the failures!"

Denomar
2010-12-22, 07:22 PM
Mordrent chuckles, a deep rich sound made all the odder through the quality of not having air involved.

"So, the maid has some steel after all."

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 01:51 AM
"Enough of this" Cynath says, his tone stinging like a lash from a whip as he makes a short motion with his hand. "You all know that awaits each and every one of us if we will be foolish enough to turn on one another when there is still world out there ready to destroy us all". The eyes of the elf are practically flowing with anger for a moment before he settles down.

"In any case", he continues, rubbing his masked chin in thoughtful gesture "it could well be a lure, but the knights are not stupid. I wonder if this is the reason the guild wanted us in the city...if it is, I think we will be hearing from them shortly. Still, even if it is just a conincidence, I believe I would like to see this execution".

Denomar
2010-12-23, 02:02 AM
They spend half a day trying to get me to 'lighten up' and now this....

Mordrent raises his hands in a gesture of supplication.

"Indeed. I would like to see my enemy as well. If not for the entertainment, then at least to see there methods. I am the Walking Death, I may not dance, but I'm not stupid."

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 03:23 AM
"Maid, Mordent? I am nobody's servant, of that you can be sure."

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 03:53 AM
Not even paying attention anymore to the beginnings of new, heated argument, the elf folds his arms. "So which of us shall go there? I can handle myself, and to be blunt I won't be risking anything for those guild pawns".

Denomar
2010-12-23, 04:24 AM
Completely oblivious to how insulting he has been Mordrent ***** his head to one side.

"Maid, maiden, woman, Master Cho'sul did not provide a complete thesaurus but that is the correct term no?"

Mordrent then goes off to find himself some quiet space to clean his armor and weaponry and generally pass the time until the execution or the meeting at the library. He doesn't shut himself away though, It wouldn't do if his charges were put in danger.

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 04:39 AM
"I guess it comes close enough..." She can't really begrudge Mordent. In a way, him being direct as he is, it's almost refreshing. She then turns to Cynath. "You're not going alone and that's that. Either me or Donovan could escort you. We're both good at covering ourselves and two set of eyes see more then just one. I guess it's just a matter of your own preference. Who would you like more to go with you?"

Eiko
2010-12-23, 04:40 AM
"If you want discrete then I'd happily volunteer, I'm sure I can think of a face suitable to the occasion. I'm sure the ever delightful Synia could be trusted for the same level of disgression. If we really must have more then at least pick someone with some training in stealth, but really I doubt this is a trap; or at the most its not a very good one."

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 04:52 AM
"I do not care one way or the other" he replies in neutral tone, drawing his rapier and checking the capsules installed to the grip just below the blade, hidden from sight by armguard. "If it turns out to be a trap, I will sneak or fight my way out of it. I do intend to watch from suitable distance, of course, so that should not be much of a threat".

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 04:57 AM
"Then it's settled. Donovan, will you be our company? I would like to take Mordent as well, but I don't think it's a smart idea. Somehow, he always seem to draw attention to himself... no offence meant Mordent."

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-23, 05:05 AM
Pelak walks in brushing at a stain on his clothes. "Stupid bloody oven! Oh hi guys. Who was at the door and do you need the body turned to ash?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 05:18 AM
"No, we don't need anything burned right now" Cynath says pointedly, withdrawing a vial from the depths of his Haversack as well as small funnel. "Before we go, I think I will need to change my attire slightly... these clothes might stand out somewhat in daytime" he says casually, opening the vial and carefully using the funnel to fill one of the capsules of his rapier with miniscule part of it's deadly contents before closing it, taking out next, different vial and repeating the procedure. It is all good and well that he has the option of poison aviable if it becomes necessary... And to be able to choose from three different poisons is even better.

Filling the weapon capsules of the rapier now, with Banelar Essence Poison, Bloodroot Poison and Quickspark respectively.

Denomar
2010-12-23, 05:24 AM
Up the stairs, around the corner, in the simple room that once housed Cho'sul's majordomo Mordrent took a moment to himself.

Piece by piece he removed the iron grey armor that was practically a second skin. Laying them on the thin carpet beside each other in a neat row. Painstakingly Mordrent began to clean.

First the breastplate: Still unmarked after so many years, the craftsmanship held intact by potent sorceries. The armor would never rust but the act of polishing it until its inner light veritably shone always soothed Mordrent.

Next, the bracers, these had not passed the years as cleanly. Here a nick, there a dent. One imperfection in particular drew Mordrent's eye. The discoloration where Cho'sul's freezing hand had grasped him. The memory swirled forth uncalled for, of the Lich's dessicated face staring at him and pleading for aid. He had been badly burnt, his right ear had been shorn clean from his face and a good portion of his brow had practically melted under the assaults of Drynwyn's magic and Pelaks fiery sword. Yet the look on Cho'sul's face as he begged for aid still brought a scowl to Mordrent's lips. The words he had said came again unbidden: "This world is for the strong Master, and you are Not".

Cho'sul had seemed untouchable for so long, so comfortable with the power he had wielded it still seemed incredible that he had fallen. Catching his reflection in his pauldron, Mordrent stopped polishing and took in the sight. A young man with skin of the palest blue and pure white eyes stared back at him. "Eternal youth, with no passion, no regrets, and no soul....Its what you always wanted, wasn't it Master?"

With a sigh Mordrent begins to don his armor once more then stops, a slow grin slowly spreading over his features. "Perhaps this calls for a different approach for once."

Taking a handful of gold from his belt, straightening his shirt, and clasping his sword to his waist Mordrent walks down the stairs to rejoin the group.

"Does anyone know where to find a good discrete tailor on short notice?"

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-23, 05:38 AM
"So who was at the door? The thief you took under your wing? It can't have been any authorities or you would have needed some burning. A messenger perhaps?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 05:42 AM
"I believe Mordent is more qualified to tell you that than I am" he replies and returns the vials and funnel back into his haversack, making couple of swings with the rapier before re-sheathing it. "For now, I think I need a change of clothing. Excuse me" he mutters and pulls complete set of travelling clothes from the haversack, walking to another room and closing the door behind himself to change in peace.

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 06:13 AM
Synia asks for some privacy and removes herself to a room far away from others, with an excuse that she needs some time alone if her disguise is to be convincing. When she closes the doors behind herself, she lets out a weary sigh. They have come a long way and yet, from the looks, they have a long way still to walk. And this mission by her demonic patron... what was it? She had a bad feeling about it. But she could dwell on it later. Right now, there are other tasks at hand.

Closing her eyes and concentrating, her features change in a moment notice. Her red hair turn the darkest black, her eyes becoming pools of blue and her skin taking on a pale complexion. It takes but a few second for this to be accomplished, yet she waits another half an hour before emerging from her solitude. Wouldn't do for the others to be suspicious of her...

"What do you think? Convincing enough?"

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-23, 06:15 AM
"Who are you and what are you doing in this mansion? It's perfect Synia. It is you and not one of the others right?

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 07:41 AM
"Could fool me" the rogue says as he re-enters, this time wearing pretty normal-looking travelling clothes in colours of white, green and brown with brown, hooded cloak finishing the look. his face was not masked and shadowed as it usually was, revealing the scar running over his left eyebrow and cheek, narrowly missing the eye itself. His weapons are, as usual, with him, but the dagger is this time hidden and the rapier is carried openly on his belt. The bow is, as usual, stowed across his back. All in all, he looks pretty much like a ranger.

"So, we will be leaving soon?" he asks in a tone much more melodic and clear than his usual, bland and unidentifiable one. "It would be a shame if me missed the entirety of the big execution event, now wouldn't it?"

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-23, 07:49 AM
"Yes it would be a terrible shame if we missed any trap for us OR a mass execution of 6 people. Are you sure WE are the Evil ones here?"

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 07:52 AM
Cynath actually chuckles at that, a sight very, very rarely seen in any given situation. "When those about to be executed are members of the guild? Trust me, they all have it coming big time. It would be actually more evil to just let them live... So I would say we are still the evil ones here"

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-23, 08:25 AM
"If the Guild are as tough as you let on they will probably try a rescue, succeed too probably, we should prepare to run or fight if they try anything near us."

Pelak's flamesword bursts back into being wrapping around his body under his clothes, burning nothing and creating no smoke.

Bending: Burning Blade, Explosion Template (+5DC) Take20
20 +20(Bending skill) +2(day) =42
42 -15(DC) =27
27 -25 =2

Effect: 30Reach Longsword, Every successful attack (AoO, normal etc.) Bull Rushes with a +8, no limit and I don't go with the target.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-23, 08:56 AM
As you spend your time planning and conversing, the risen sun moves slowly across the azure sky. As the great bells of the Cathedral of Sirramar sound out the time yet again, you realize you have but an hour to make it to Falcon Square and attend the trial.

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 09:09 AM
"I guess we should get going. Does any of you have a shirt or something similar for Mordent? I would offer him some of my clothing, but he's very much of unlady build."

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 09:21 AM
Hearing the bells, Cynath nods to Synia and streches slightly. "It is time for us to be off again it seems, so that we will make it in time. And no, I do not have much in way of spare clothes... Maybe we can get some as we return". He folds his arms and adds in little annoyed note "try to keep infighting down this time around. Where we are going it is not an option. If you have something in your system, wait until we are back and only then settle it. Are we good?".

3SecondCultist
2010-12-23, 09:39 AM
An agreement made, Donovan, Synia, and Cynath get themselves to the door and outside. As the three of you begin to make your way through the city streets eastward towards the square, you notice the sheer amount of people. The main streets are like a meatgrinder, crammed with hundreds of individuals from different races, such men, women, elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, tieflings, aasimars, and all other sorts of humanoids. Well distributed as well are platoons of guards, bearing the scarlet sword tabard of Solstice.

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 09:43 AM
Synia turns her head towards Cynath. "You're the most comfortable around here. I suggest you lead the way."

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 09:57 AM
"Very well" the elf agrees and begins to lead his two companions slowly through the mass of people towards the main event, careful to keep his head bowed enough for the hood to cover his eyes, thus making sure that guards won't notice the trio as they come closer.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-23, 09:59 AM
Up ahead, you can see what seems to be a temporary wooden platform. In the background, the great stone wall of the city looms, a shadowed bulwark under the light of Sirramar. The square is full to the brim with people out to see the event, and there are guards everywhere. On top of the platform, four figures stand out. All of them are dressed in what looks to be full plate armor chased in gold, gleaming in the sun. They are all wearing identical cloaks of white linen, emblazoned with a rising sun. They are the Knights-Militant of Sirramar. Beside them, there is a cutting block, and five gallows, hanging like clouds over the grasslands.

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 10:05 AM
"Oooh, a beheading combined with hanging? These people are real connoisseurs as far as public executions go. This promises much."

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 10:10 AM
Cynath remains silent, not offering comment about the variety of grisly fates awaiting those who will soon be dancing in the gallows, or kneeling on the chopping block. Instead, he scans the security detail, counting guards and loosening his hidden dagger in it's sheath, ready to act if necessary. Crowds like this are dangerous, any rogue knows that. But they are also handy for hiding in.

"Hilarious." he says without a hint of warmth or amusement in his tone.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-23, 10:13 AM
As the great bells ring in the distance, heralding the second hour, the crowd in the square visibly becomes more excited, leaving the space in cacophony. One of the knights steps forward to the balcony facing the people. Unlike the others, he seems to be wearing a special golden helm that covers three quarters of his face and sports a crimson plume, and a pair of bracers emblazoned with suns. He wears a special crest as well. Pulling off his helmet, he reveals his face, which bears a large scar over his left cheek. His eyes are a deep, molten gold, and his locks a gleaming silver hue. He stares back out at the crowd, silently commanding respect. With one gesture from his hand, the square grows silent.

Eiko
2010-12-23, 10:27 AM
"I can't help but wonder who was stupid enough on crimes to earn a beheading to get caught. Sinners have no tact these days." His form is of a young woman, wearing well tailored but not overly expensive clothing. Smooth, straight auburn hair cascades down her back but her face is hidden beneath a rather pleasant looking mask. Simple but beautifully carved, it depicts an angelic face smiling slightly. She is flanking Cynath on the opposite side from Synia.

wearing faceless mask, with the angel mask over it (class features allow me to combine but only gain benefits of 1 at a time). At this stage it simply makes my alignment read as lawful good

"Did you hear what they are supposedly being executed for? Six criminals in a day, my my." Her voice is soft, though with a superior undertone.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-23, 10:34 AM
With a second motion of his hand, five prisoners in grey tunics are escorted to the platform by guards. As they are dragged in chains up the stairs, the aasimar knight begins to address the crowd. "Good Lords and Ladies, good afternoon to you all! Today, you will bear witness to the trials of these five poor individuals. Let all who see and hear judge their actions for themselves, and let their hearts be judged by Sirramar, may He have mercy on our souls. My name is Eos, a humble knight and servant of the great and righteous Sun God of Solstice, and I will be presiding over these legal processes. Without further ado, let us begin!" Several priests, wearing robes of crimson and gold, ascend to stand beside him, and a massive table is dragged onstage.

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 10:35 AM
"No, I did not hear that, not as of yet anyhow" he replies quietly, his face half covered in shadow of his hood as he examines the leader of the knights. "Nor do I care. Every member of the guild deserve only to die painful, prolonged deaths as far as I am concerned. These executions will propably be all too fast for my liking, but can't have everything".

Mordokai
2010-12-23, 10:54 AM
"Can't help but wonder, why make such a spectacle of it? Not that it bothers me, but you'd figure holy knights would know mercy. Or is there something I am not familiar with?" Searching her brains, Synia tries to remember what does she know of Knights of Sirramar.

Rolling bardic knowledge on the subject:

[roll0]

Eiko
2010-12-23, 11:16 AM
I wonder what would happen if those men were to... escape. Or for one of those priests to have an unfortunate accident. Shame I'm not armed

The masked woman leans over to Cynath "So what did the guild do to you then? Oh and do you have a throwing knife I could borrow?" Her whispered voice is pure innocence but its easy to guess her intentions are less so.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-23, 11:19 AM
As the priests, who seem to be the judges, sit down in impromptu chairs, the first suspect is brought forward and questioned thoroughly. Apparently, there was some sort of magic cast on the area, for the man could not lie convincingly. After several questions, he revealed himself to be a Nightsong agent, part of a quad (that is, a four man hit team) who attempted and failed to capture a priest, one Father Markus, about a week ago. Captain Eos, visibly outraged by this development, speaks out to the masses. "You can see, they have not only committed treason against the state, but they have done so in such a sacrilegious manner, it takes even my breath away. Truly, the Lord of Light has blessed us in finding these evil lawbreakers, so that we may dispense his divine retribution on this day. Bring them forward!" The four men are escorted to the nooses, leaving only one prisoner behind, waiting to be tried.

Synia:
You are correct here. There is a regular courthouse (by which I mean, of course, a specialized church) where they normally host trials in a more discreet manner, but these are related to the Nightsong Guild, and so the Knights specifically want to demonstrate their power. The knights believe themselves to be the perfect instruments of Sirramar's will, and as they are all paladins, most of them are correct in their unquestioning faith. THey are extremely dogmatic, and more than a little bit xenophobic, for the most part.

Grim ranger
2010-12-23, 11:33 AM
The elf becomes visibly more quiet as his past is brought into question, not answering by word or deed until the knight commander has declared the accused guilty. "No, I do not. I merely have my bow, and using that would immediately give us away. Besides, I would not want to draw the attention of the knights... At least not when they are present in such large numbers".

"It does seem that the guild has had something to do with our old master... Or at least they were interested in the same priest" he mutters quietly to Synia. "Perhaps we ought to investigate this further".

Eiko
2010-12-23, 11:45 AM
"On the other hand they attempted and failed to capture father Markus. Implying either he was important, he was powerful, or these men were incompetent. If I had a better method of escape I'd be half tempted to reintroduce them to the man. After all, we six are the only ones who know he's dead"

"Say, you come from this city, how fragile are the priests?"