PDA

View Full Version : Thread Necromancy [Exalted 2e]

golentan
2010-12-19, 01:54 PM
So, I'm working on a custom artifact (the Severed Thread of Fate: a clipping from the loom doused in the power of the underworld) which gives access to one circle higher necromancy than the wielder has normally while attuned, and which mortals may attune and use for one health level + one health level per 10 motes of spell cost.

Any suggestions for artifact cost? I'm not used to artifact design, and Oadenol's codex guidelines seem a little funky to me.

Going by the emerald thurible, I'm pegging it as either Artifact 5 or N/A (since that's allows a single higher circle spell, and seems to be artifact 5), but... not sure?

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-19, 02:03 PM
Compare it to the Mantle of Soot. It makes your Essence count as 5 dots higher for purposes of casting necromancy (including increasing your mote pools) and allows you to access one circle higher, but it doesn't allow mortals to cast necromancy without an Essence pool (because mortals suck). It's an N/A artifact.

a_humble_lich
2010-12-19, 02:41 PM
I'd still make it N/A as that could have some very big in game effects. Put it this way, if it were for sorcery instead and were only a five dot artifact, then don't you think Raski would have made one by now? I mean she is an elder Lunar with the libraries of Sperimin at her command, centuries of time to work on it, and it's her Motivation.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-19, 07:47 PM
I'd still make it N/A as that could have some very big in game effects. Put it this way, if it were for sorcery instead and were only a five dot artifact, then don't you think Raski would have made one by now? I mean she is an elder Lunar with the libraries of Sperimin at her command, centuries of time to work on it, and it's her Motivation.

You know, not all 5-dot artifacts can be duplicated by non-Solars. For starters, you have to know exactly how the artifact is constructed. And if it requires an exotic component that is so obscure it requires Wyld-Shaping Technique to procure, you're boned.

golentan
2010-12-19, 09:55 PM
Or, in this case, access to both the loom of fate and the tombs of the neverborn.

That said, the fact it's weaker than the Mantle of Soot isn't much of a reference point, since N/A has a lower bound but not an upper bound, if you follow my meaning.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-19, 11:47 PM
Or, in this case, access to both the loom of fate and the tombs of the neverborn.

That said, the fact it's weaker than the Mantle of Soot isn't much of a reference point, since N/A has a lower bound but not an upper bound, if you follow my meaning.

It allows something that player should never get without explicit ST approval. Therefore, it should be N/A.

((N/A has no lower bound, either. You can have N/A artifacts weaker than 1-dot artifacts, if you want.))