View Full Version : Spellstoring+fabricate

Brendan
2010-12-19, 04:27 PM
Hi, so I've created a character for an upcoming campaign using the trapsmith prestige class. He's specialized towards winning initiative (with a +26 bonus) and full attacking with his hand crossbow. He can cast some spells, including Fabricate as a third level spell.
My idea for his combat tactic in a duel is for him to shoot the enemy with the spell stored arrows, which upo activation of fabricate, turn into black lotus extract (or some other fun poison).
Does this work like i think it does and how many doses can be obtained from each crossbow bolt?

EDIT: one last thing. he's 11th level and has levels in swiftblade.

JackMage666
2010-12-19, 04:38 PM
In short - No. Fabricate has a material component -

"Material Component

The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created. :

Since a crossbow bolt is MUCH cheaper than the raw materials for a poison, it wouldn't work.

As well, Fabricate has a casting time of at least one round - The max for Spell Storing is a standard action.

I'm sure there are other reasons, as well.

tyckspoon
2010-12-19, 04:45 PM
I'm sure there are other reasons, as well.

The two biggest are that neither Spell-storing nor Fabricate does what Brendan wants. Spell-storing specifically casts the spell it contains on the creature struck by the weapon, and he wants it to affect the bolts (at least, I think that's what was suggested.) The other is that Fabricate, in addition to the long casting time (which is nigh-suicidal in a duel unless you have really good defenses) can't turn crossbow bolts into Black Lotus Extract; it doesn't transmute materials, it just changes their shape. You'd only be able to turn your bolts into poisons if they were already made of that poison to start with.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-19, 06:43 PM
My idea for his combat tactic in a duel is for him to shoot the enemy with the spell stored arrows, which upo activation of fabricate, turn into black lotus extract (or some other fun poison).
Does this work like i think it does and how many doses can be obtained from each crossbow bolt?
No, it doesn't work as you'd hoped. There are two problems:

Arrows and bolts are destroyed upon impact, so no magical effect can be delivered that requires any decision after damage is dealt.
Spell Storing only works for a weapon that is wielded. Arrows and bolts cease to be wielded when they leave the bow or crossbow.

Brendan
2010-12-19, 11:02 PM
okay so i suppose that i had the idea wrong on all counts. I guess thats what happens when I use my memory instead of actually reading the spell descriptions...

But you really can't get a spell storing crossbow?

Keld Denar
2010-12-19, 11:06 PM
No, as much as I'm loathe to agree with Curmudgeon (j/k! <3 ), hes right on this account. Spellstoring lacks the relevant text "This weapon imparts its abilities on its ammunition" that other abilities have, and can't even be placed on a ranged weapon. Also, the whole wielded semantic issue.

dextercorvia
2010-12-19, 11:07 PM
But you really can't get a spell storing crossbow?

You gotta leave some point to the Arcane Archer.