PDA

View Full Version : How to live forever

molten_dragon
2010-12-19, 04:43 PM
For a 3.5 campaign, I'm looking for a way to have a high-level spellcaster that can live forever. It's important that the method not be evil (so a lich won't work). Anyone got suggestions. I was thinking of combining magic jar with clone, but it looks like that won't work by RAW.

Abaddon87
2010-12-19, 04:44 PM
Are Salt Mummies Evil? Im AFB right now... Perhaps Elan?

gbprime
2010-12-19, 04:55 PM
Transform yourself into something exceptionally long lived. Polymorph Any Object into a Half Dragon, it's permanent. Then PAO again into a true dragon. The good aligned ones live up to 4000 years.

Add 3 levels of Ruathar (Races of the Wild) to add 50% to that total, so you could push 6000 years.

Izzat close enough?

gkathellar
2010-12-19, 05:01 PM
Isn't there a Complete Arcane spell that does this? You have a pseudo-phylactery, I think, but that's it.

Also, necropolitan isn't evil.

Deathless if there's some kind of deathless template hanging around somewhere.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-19, 05:01 PM
Convince a conclave of druids that your continued existence is imperitve for the well being of nature and arrange to get reincarnated upon your death.
Commit suicide when you reach as old as you're willing to risk and get reincarnated, reincarnation explicitly giving one a young adult body.
Rinse lather repeat.

arguskos
2010-12-19, 05:02 PM
...there are non-evil lich variants. Why not those? :smallconfused:

Play a warforged or an Elan.

Transform yourself via PAO into a golem or something.

The Magic Jar trick can get you into anything you can bind (magic jar thing one, then thing two, then dismiss stuff properly, and you end up in the body you want forever, it's a little complex, but it can be done).

Elfin
2010-12-19, 05:10 PM
There's a feat from Dragon called Bound to History (if I recall correctly) that does just this. You have to take it at first level, though.

Kaeso
2010-12-19, 05:10 PM
If you're a female, the beloved of Valaran prestige class from BoED makes you basically immortal. It's a pretty sucky class for a druid to take though, so maybe a ranger entrance is better?

Of course you could always go the classic route and become a lich or vampire, but the downside is either not being able to go outside during the day (without sparkling like some prissy fairy) or not being able to taste some coffee (and nothing starts a long day of adventuring better than a cup of good ol' latte)

A third, more difficult method is acquiring so much power that you can draw the attention of a weak, lower level god. If you are willing to serve him or her, you could become his or her proxy. This gives you a deity score of 0, which has no mechanical benefits but does make you immortal (and ageless too I think). This might even be a good first step to godhood...

arguskos
2010-12-19, 05:14 PM
There's a feat from Dragon called Bound to History (if I recall correctly) that does just this. You have to take it at first level, though.
Kind of. Dragon #354. The feat is called Wedded to History, and lets you select one ancient background, listed in that same issue. One of those is, I believe, immortality.

Elfin
2010-12-19, 05:14 PM
If you're a female, the beloved of Valarian prestige class from BoED makes you basically immortal.

There are, of course, certain...disadvantages. :smallwink:

Edit: Ah, right, Wedded to History.

Kaeso
2010-12-19, 05:15 PM
There are, of course, certain...disadvantages. :smallwink:

:smallconfused: Besides taking a subpar prestige class?
EDIT: Oh wait, you were referring to the vow of chasity :smallsigh:

Kaww
2010-12-19, 05:22 PM
Killoren are immortal if I remember well. They may be found in RotW. Also on the theme of dragons after you become great wyrm you may live quite a while by rules of twilight (I think that's what it's called) since it extends your lifespan based on your charisma. Divine rank 0 should make you immortal too.

NOTE: By immortal I mean no death by a natural cause...

Elfin
2010-12-19, 05:25 PM
:smallconfused: Besides taking a subpar prestige class?
EDIT: Oh wait, you were referring to the vow of chasity :smallsigh:

Sorry, my immature side got the better of me.

Kaeso
2010-12-19, 05:27 PM
Sorry, my immature side got the better of me.

*pat* Don't worry bro. At least you didn't refer to some obscure BoEF trick that extends your life..... such a trick doesn't happen to exist, right?:smalleek:

gbprime
2010-12-19, 05:29 PM
Killoren are immortal if I remember well. They may be found in RotW.

Oh yeah, forgot about them. They never age past Old, and they're a LA zero race, so it's a lot easier to start as or transform into one without all that mucking about with LA and racial HD.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-19, 05:31 PM
There is an AD&D spell called Life Form that removes a piece of your "essence" and thus makes you immortal and invincible. Its not as good as a phylactery, because you cannot regenerate, but its also not evil and doesn't cost XP. Just grandfather it in!

gkathellar
2010-12-19, 05:32 PM
*pat* Don't worry bro. At least you didn't refer to some obscure BoEF trick that extends your life..... such a trick doesn't happen to exist, right?:smalleek:

You're thinking of the wrong game. That's in Weapons of the Gods.

Kaeso
2010-12-19, 05:36 PM
You're thinking of the wrong game. That's in Weapons of the Gods.

:smalleek:.... I'm afraid that my curiosity will destroy my sanity but please, do tell.

Zeful
2010-12-19, 05:44 PM
Transform yourself into something exceptionally long lived. Polymorph Any Object into a Half Dragon, it's permanent. Then PAO again into a true dragon. The good aligned ones live up to 4000 years.

Add 3 levels of Ruathar (Races of the Wild) to add 50% to that total, so you could push 6000 years.

Izzat close enough?

Assuming that that works of course (and yes I've seen the arguments, they fail to convince me) and given that he's the DM does he really want players like this all the time (if the BBEG can do it so can the players)?

Critical
2010-12-19, 05:47 PM
Here you go. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0)

Flickerdart
2010-12-19, 05:48 PM
There's actually a spell in the SpC that annulls the effects of sunlight, so vampirism isn't that bad provided you can make it to Vampire Lord to get rid of the other weaknesses. Still evil though.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-19, 05:59 PM
For a 3.5 campaign, I'm looking for a way to have a high-level spellcaster that can live forever. It's important that the method not be evil (so a lich won't work). Anyone got suggestions. I was thinking of combining magic jar with clone, but it looks like that won't work by RAW.
There's... a fair number of ways.

You can play a race that's immortal from the get-go (Killorean, Elan, Warforged, et cetera).

You can aquire a template that gives you immortality - Ghost, Necropolitan, Gravetouched Ghoul, Vampire, et cetera... although Vampire and I think Gravetouched Ghoul turn you Evil.

You can get a feat for it (Wedded to History, or most of the Epic destinies for 3.5).

Dread Necromancer-20 turns into you a Lich, and permits a neutral alignment.

... there's a rather lot of ways. However, as it has *no game mechanical effect* in 99%+ of campaigns, the best way is to simply ask your DM nicely to be unaging.

gkathellar
2010-12-19, 06:01 PM
Do Outsiders age? I'm under the impression that only Native ones do. There are ways to become a non-native outsider.

:smalleek:.... I'm afraid that my curiosity will destroy my sanity but please, do tell.

It's a high-power wuxia game that bases itself pretty solidly in Chinese mythology. Among many mystical beliefs that it adapts into game mechanics is the idea that correct bedroom practice could grant you long life or immortality, while incorrect practice could lead to an early grave.

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-19, 06:07 PM
What about the handbook for this?

Immortality: A Guide to Eternal Life (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0)