PDA

View Full Version : Villain Idea - Archfiend

Aetholus
2010-12-19, 05:20 PM
Seraph was originally a Noble Drow who had become a vampire, But after learning the secrets of becoming a Mystic Theurge he became quite talented as both a Wizard and a Cleric. He was descended from Noble Drow that had interbred with Celestials, as proof of his Wings. Eventually becoming powerful enough he rivaled many of the great demons/devils themselves he decided to join them as some of the most powerful beings. Already being vampiric he already gave into his hunger regularly. Having slain Orcus he incorporated Orcus' Essence and used it to change his form into a Demon

I want him to have basically taken Orcus' position as "Prince of the Undead". I still want him to have maintained his Vampiric nature through his transformation into a Demon. I figured for fluff that he'd still have his Feathered type of Celestial wings, from his 'bloodline', but the wings have become black. He represents corruption and undeath. Corrupting massive amounts of mortals into undead on the material plane.

Aetholus
2010-12-19, 05:21 PM
I think it'll be a great villain for my campaign, but I just wanted some help getting appropriate abilities and everything.

The Antigamer
2010-12-19, 05:38 PM
First off, obviously your campaign, you can do what you want.
However, Orcus is a demon, not a devil, and Asmodeus, being a being of law, would most likely not appoint a 10th Duke. There are only 9 layers of Hell after all. And he carefully controls and manipulates the politics of the hells, he wouldn't just stick a new duke in for no reason. Look at the last time he shifted the hierarchy, it was the end result of hundreds of years of scheming and maneuvering.

I think if your villain kills Orcus, (which still makes me shudder, Orcus can't die) he should take over Orcuses layer in the Abyss, especially if you want him taking over the Prince of the Undead title.

Aetholus
2010-12-19, 05:49 PM
Right, well I edited my main post. Really anything can be killed somehow though. The villain was actually someones character that died off when they moved so I just wanted to use him.

blackjack217
2010-12-19, 06:04 PM
have him steal a layer of the abyss and bring it into the nine hell thus making the ten hells. They can either try to stop whatever ritual he has planned or deal with the consequences.

Aetholus
2010-12-19, 06:21 PM
I actually may do just that. I want him to be lawful evil. But I really just need help fleshing out abilities that are appropriate for a Duke level Demon/Devil. I've never really messed with outsiders so much but our game is nearing epic levels so I figured it'd be appropriate to introduce them with a story they will not forget.

Iituem
2010-12-19, 06:21 PM
Honestly, I think this Seraph fellow sounds more interesting on his way to power than he does as ruler of a circle of Hell, not to mention the problem of killing Orcus to have already gotten there.

So he's a half-celestial Drow Mystic Theurge/Cleric/Wizard who attained the Vampire template and has changed his type to Demon/Devil. Dear sweet gods, what have you created? Even for all of this, he is probably still not strong enough to kill Orcus on his own, which means needing allies and probably some powerful magical artefacts and/or rituals to make it work.

Have you considered restructuring his place in your campaign around him gathering allies/artefacts to gain further power in Hell so he can start his war against Orcus (or is already in the process of it) and seeing how that affects the mortal world and your current crop of heroes?

Aetholus
2010-12-19, 06:42 PM
Well he's not really a half-celestial. He had just the wings. No stats or abilities.

Well I already hinted that it had already happened at the end of our last session. So I don't want to really change from that story.

un_known
2010-12-19, 07:11 PM
My two cents:

He didn't kill Orcus he merely has trapped Orcus and is currently using Orcus' own energy to transport the layer of the Abyss into the Hells.

I see Asmodeus himself cutting a deal with the players, one with more in it for him, and not expecting them to succeed. He just wants them to be a diversion while he brings his own wrath down on Seraph.

You can thematically theme Seraph according to how he took down Orcus. He spent his whole time learning spells to lock and trap people and well to siphon them to death.

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-19, 07:29 PM
Just chiming in: Where's the Homebrew in this? :smallconfused:

NosferatuZodd
2010-12-19, 10:58 PM
Yeah, this isn't exactly what I call homebrew section material.

That and it sounds so much like a mary sue it makes me see diabetes.

tribble
2010-12-19, 11:52 PM
Why does he have to be a duke? shoot, man, the right-hand-man to a Duke of hell isn't too shabby a position either.

blackjack217
2010-12-20, 12:31 AM
Um.. just to clear something up a duke dosn't rule an entire lair of hell. That would be an archfiend specifically a lord of the nine. (not all archfiends are lords of the nine but all lords of the nine are archfiends) A duke is 2 levels below a Lord of the Nine.

The Antigamer
2010-12-20, 06:23 AM
Um.. just to clear something up a duke dosn't rule an entire lair of hell. That would be an archfiend specifically a lord of the nine. (not all archfiends are lords of the nine but all lords of the nine are archfiends) A duke is 2 levels below a Lord of the Nine.

They're called Archdukes also, but yes, this is correct.

That and it sounds so much like a mary sue it makes me see diabetes.
Yeah, little bit.

Although un_known's plan sounds like a good one, possibly the best outcome of this whole debacle.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-20, 12:00 PM
Seraph was originally a Noble Drow who had become a vampire, But after learning the secrets of becoming a Mystic Theurge he became quite talented as both a Wizard and a Cleric. He was descended from Noble Drow that had interbred with Celestials, as proof of his Wings. Eventually becoming powerful enough he rivaled many of the great demons/devils themselves he decided to join them as some of the most powerful beings. Already being vampiric he already gave into his hunger regularly. Having slain Orcus he incorporated Orcus' Essence and used it to change his form into a Demon

looks like a modified version of zanatose Everhate, God of Undeath & Liches, from pitsofevil.com

http://forums.pitsofevil.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&p=5807

Aetholus
2010-12-20, 07:13 PM
Haha, Does seem so huh? That version sounds better developed than mine. Maybe I'll use that one.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-20, 08:53 PM
Haha, Does seem so huh? Maybe I'll use that one.

if you are a good google archaeologist you can even find his stat