PDA

View Full Version : Construct Crafting Help [3.5]

Malificus
2010-12-19, 06:08 PM
I'm going to be running a game with some of my friends coming up soon, and one of them want's to make a construct crafting mage.

So I was curious, what feats are there to reduce the price and times of crafting, and does anyone have a list of constructs that can be made?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-12-19, 07:09 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=0cnru241148ddsnojb82s3fhe7&topic=7274.0
Cost reduction handbook. Don't have a link on hand for lists of craftable constructs; sorry.

Malificus
2010-12-19, 09:59 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=0cnru241148ddsnojb82s3fhe7&topic=7274.0
Cost reduction handbook. Don't have a link on hand for lists of craftable constructs; sorry.
Well, at least that's the first part of what I'm looking for. Thanks.

EDIT: Would it be a bad idea to allow eberron homonculi

Malificus
2010-12-20, 01:55 AM
Is there any way to craft a homonculus by 4th level?

Endarire
2010-12-20, 01:57 AM
The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0)

Malificus
2010-12-20, 02:01 AM
So I pretty much would have to allow him to play an artificer?

So far I'd been trying to avoid Eberron; if I allowed an artificer, is there anythign I would have to look out for?

Bakkan
2010-12-20, 02:16 AM
The only thing the Artificer has about it that is specifically Eberron is its ability to cast some of its infusions (which are mostly minute-or-longer casting times) as a standard action by using an Action Point. If you aren't using Action points, you have two main options:

1) Don't allow him to cast his infusions any faster than normal. This will essentially limit him to his crafted items during combats.

2) Allow him to cast infusions faster than normal (as if spending an Action Point) a certain number of times per day, perhaps based on his level. Off the top of my head, I would think 2/day+1/day per 4 levels might be good.

The artificer should know that it is entirely possible to blow through hundreds or thousands of gold pieces' worth of expendable resources if he's going for a blastificer build (using wands and such). In my opinion, he's better off crafting X/day wondrous items or eternal wands of his most commonly used spells and just keep scrolls on hand for the more rarely needed spells.

Endarire
2010-12-20, 02:22 AM
An Artificer makes things cheaply. If played well, he could double or triple the party's wealth by level.

Having made and played and DMed for an Artificer, I recommend these:

-Let him make custom items by the formulas, but work with him. Certain effects are debatably too cheap (a continuous expeditious retreat or shield item is only 4K by the fomulas) while most constant or at-will effects are stupidly expensive (continuous haste is 120K by the formulas, but worth nowhere near that amount).

Then again, I prefer high-powered campaigns that infringe upon or stretch the system's limits. When as a DM I greatly dislike something, I change it, usually to power it up.

-Allow the party plenty of down time to create items! Dedicated Wrights (Eberron Campaign Setting 285) will do the manual labor of item creation if the Artificer provides the components.

-Allow Dedicated Wrights to make more than one magic item at a time. By RAW, they can't since they're an extension of the Artificer. It's logical and reasonable to allow a small factory.

-Determine which spell lists exist in your campaign setting. The Lowest Level Versions of Spells (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872558/Lowest_level_versions_of_spells) are drawn from standard sources (Cleric/Wizard/Druid/Paladin/Ranger) and odd PrCs and domains. It's the odd PrCs that typically get spells sooner than normal.

An Apostle of Peace (Book of Exalted Deeds) can get heal as soon as caster level 6, meaning Ye Old Artificer4 can make a scroll of it right now to heal 40 HP and remove various status ailments. There are plenty of other examples.

-"Generic" stuff from a specific campaign setting is usually OK. Classes and abilities can be reflavored. Unless a mechanic is intrinsic to a campaign setting, it's easily changed.

If your world has no ties to Eberron, nix all references to the Lord of Blades. Likewise with Krynn (Dragonlance) and Raistlin Majere.

Akal Saris
2010-12-20, 02:40 AM
You're the DM, if you don't want to deal with artificers then just let him take Craft (Construct) as a 5th level wizard feat. Constructs suck pretty badly until very high levels - they cost too much to risk being destroyed, and generally advance poorly.

Malificus
2010-12-20, 02:44 AM
You're the DM, if you don't want to deal with artificers then just let him take Craft (Construct) as a 5th level wizard feat. Constructs suck pretty badly until very high levels - they cost too much to risk being destroyed, and generally advance poorly.

He's also specifically asked me about being an artificer. So I figure I should at least consider it.

Also, something confuses me about homonculus. They only require a 4th level caster, but have a level 4 spell in the requirements. How can a 4th level caster use arcane eye to make a homonculus?