PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks: Can they make custom invocations?

Dark Kerman
2010-12-19, 06:40 PM
Hi there, I was wondering if Warlocks (In 3.5 edition of DnD) can make a custom invocation in the same way a wizard or sorceror might? Of course it would also involve it replacing a current one of the same level, but could they at least take a different spell from that which is in source books and the like? Thank you for your time. :smallsmile:

Cog
2010-12-19, 06:45 PM
Strictly, no. However, even when the standard arcanists do that, it's little more than standardized houseruling, and if you've opened the door to that already...

Psyren
2010-12-19, 06:56 PM
If there's a DFA invocation that can help your Warlock out, the Infernal Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) feat lets you select invocations from their list. It's sort of like Expanded Knowledge for Warlocks.

hangedman1984
2010-12-19, 09:28 PM
I'd personally rule it that players (with dm approval of new invo) can, but characters can't

Psyren
2010-12-19, 09:29 PM
I'd personally rule it that players (with dm approval of new invo) can, but characters can't

The character would have to be involved at some point :smalltongue:

MeeposFire
2010-12-19, 09:32 PM

Use this and say it is a new invocation that you spontaneously created (like a mutation of magic power). Warlocks do not gain power by learning (I kid). You should have it spontaneously created or stolen from another caster.

for instance you make up an invocation based on a spell with a similar effect. Do a quest where you steal the essence of that spell and it turns into your new invocation for your next level

MachineWraith
2010-12-19, 09:33 PM

I think that he means that the player can make new invocations that are just added to the warlock list, but that the warlock himself can't research and learn new invocations.

Tael
2010-12-19, 09:37 PM

What are you talking about? Just yesterday I used my homebrewed "Create Green Paper" Invocation for fun and profit!

gbprime
2010-12-19, 09:39 PM
Which begs the question of where the invocations came from in the first place. Were they handed down to mortals by some being(s) of power, or did enterprising mortals develop them over generations?

Psyren
2010-12-19, 09:43 PM
I think that he means that the player can make new invocations that are just added to the warlock list, but that the warlock himself can't research and learn new invocations.

Ah, I understand now... but it seems to me that the end result would be the same...

Which begs the question of where the invocations came from in the first place. Were they handed down to mortals by some being(s) of power, or did enterprising mortals develop them over generations?

I gathered that they are a form of arcane magic that is tied more to race than to the underlying maths of the universe. DFA invocations come from tapping into "being draconic" and warlock invocations come from tapping into "being fiendish/fey."

MeeposFire
2010-12-19, 09:51 PM
Warlocks are about being given power by an outside force. A devil gives you power in return for something for instance. This is why I suggest mutations of magic and stealing magic. Could also be granted new invocations never seen by your patron (the one who gave you power).

Sorcerers gain power directly from their heritage.

DFAs gain power through study and using learned draconic magics to modiy their souls. In fluff they are similar to monks except they are trying to better themselves by becoming like a dragon rather than a better version of their standard race.

These are the standard fluff not absolute.

The Shadowmind
2010-12-19, 10:22 PM
Warlocks get their power from deals their ancestor's made, the warlock him/her/itself didn't need to do anything to get them. This makes the alignment restriction a bit nonsensical, since just because an ancestor was evil/chaotic doesn't mean the offspring will be.

Other than homebrewing and the horrid Infernal Adept feat that was mentioned{(Seriously though requiring greater invocations, dragonblood or fey/outsider type to avoid having a quest that takes "a considerable amount of time". Did they not realize this feat is weak to begin with, and it is a group game, not follow Jim the Warlock(because Tim the Sorcerer is busy with a potion) till the DM gets tired?)}

So for making homebrew invocation, this is how normal invocations normally go:
Least 1st level spell with boost, 2nd level spell
Lesser 3rd level spell with a boost, 4th level spell
Greater 5th level spell with a boost, 6th level spell,
Dark, 7th level spell with a boost, 8th level spell, weak 9th level spell.

Example homebrew'd invocations.
So a Lesser invocation mimicking Shadow Conjuration. Shadow Evocation would be equal to a Greater, but as a 5th if would get a boost, say 40% chance of effecting instead of the normal 20%. Both Greater Shadow spells would be equal to a Dark invocation, since Greater Shadow Evocation is an 8th is would stay the same, and Shadow Conjuration is a 7th it would be a bit of the boost, say up to 7th level spells instead of 6th.
Fluff:The warlock's/warlock's ancestor was from the Plane of Shadows.

Though giving a Warlock the Shadow line, would help with versatility a bit. Magic Immunity/High SR would still be a pain till vitriolic blast.

hangedman1984
2010-12-19, 11:53 PM
Ah, I understand now... but it seems to me that the end result would be the same...

It's a matter of flavour, mechanically it is the same

Dark Kerman
2010-12-22, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, it is definitely something to consider :smalltongue: Btw, I thought warlocks also got it from fiendish blood? (Which would logically make tieflings the best warlocks, yet due to there lower charisma, they are one of the worst candidates :smallconfused: )

Brom
2010-12-22, 04:17 PM
I never understood the low charisma. If you look at almost every evil outsider that's humanoid, they have high charisma. Enryines, Succubi, Balors, Nalfanshees...

How can you tempt others to evil if you have low charisma?

Siosilvar
2010-12-22, 04:20 PM
I never understood the low charisma. If you look at almost every evil outsider that's humanoid, they have high charisma. Enryines, Succubi, Balors, Nalfanshees...

How can you tempt others to evil if you have low charisma?

Somebody got evil'd up along the line somewhere, so now you have to live with hereditary low charisma.

Or something like that.

Dark Kerman
2010-12-22, 04:23 PM
They could have split tieflings into groups? Diabolic, Daemonic and Demonic? Like they did with mephlings. Maybe only the Daemonic would have Charisma lag.

Also, returning to the custom invocation note, would it not depend on how the warlocks powers were gained? If it was heriditary, they could logically warp it into whatever shape they wished, but if it was through a patron, then perhaps a quest requiring them to gain there patrons favour would be required? In other words replacing spell research.