PDA

View Full Version : Implementation of guilds/affiliations

Olfgar
2010-12-19, 11:30 PM
So I've only done a little bit of DMing, and im starting a new campaign. Im thinking of having guilds/affiliations and the like have an importance in this campaign, but Im trying to find a w ay to implement them without seem like im forcing it on my players that the guilds/afiliations are as important as say..story progression.

when i talk about guilds and affiliations, im talking about guilds from things like Oblivions Fighters or Mages guild, guilds in WoW, etc. and not things like a merchant or tradesmans guild, thought I may still add those kinds of groups in.

In short form, I want tog uilds to be important, with reasons like some story, a place for them to mix it up with NPCs to really get in their character, to get certain gear or quests, etc. But I dont want to shove it down their throat and say "If your not involved with the guilds/affiliations in any way, your going to lose out on alot or not have a good time" etc etc.

Any advice? even if its just on guilds in general and not this SPECIFIC question about them.

thorgrim29
2010-12-19, 11:54 PM
Have the guilds offer many quests and a discount on services, but charge a flat fee per year plus a percentage of the rewards, starting at maybe 60% when they enter, to 25% when they're higher ranked. That way they know they might get more per quest without the guild, but they get more quests and services with it.

Olfgar
2010-12-20, 12:30 AM
Hmm...sounds like something they might go for. Thanks, atleast someone responded lol.

Psyren
2010-12-20, 03:40 AM
I think DMG2 and Complete Champion have rules for this sort of thing, have you checked them out?

Olfgar
2010-12-20, 10:39 AM
I believe its PH2 but i havent checked out champion yet, but thanks for letting me know.

AyeGill
2010-12-20, 10:48 AM
I think there were something in cityscape too.

Anyways, i second thorgrim's suggestions. Maybe the guild can supply them with valuable information about the quests they get.
Also, maybe one of the guilds they become members of(say, the rogue is in the thieves' guild), is secretly run behind the scenes by the BBEG, who's been mixing up quests that are part of his own plot in all the regular quests that come in. It could also be a great way to introduce story-central characters, maybe they get some extra help on a particularly different assignment, and he's the one who, say, knows about the BBEG.

Olfgar
2010-12-20, 11:07 AM
Hrmm...i think thats a pretty good idea