PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to make a War Siren?

yldenfrei
2010-12-20, 03:16 AM
Since no one wanted to DM my warlock's origin story, I thought I can use the downtime to create another build concept that I've been itching to try.

The character concept is a beautiful maiden singing for the king's army, to recruit in peacetime, and to stand beside her lord's banner in war. She is base-born, elevated in status only by a queen's discovery of her talent. In the battlefield she looks out of place, like a crystal goblet in the middle of a barren wasteland. But woe to the enemies who seek battle with her retinue, for they face soldiers drunk with delirium and desire to tear their enemy to pieces. When she sings, she has three voices--her soft speaking voice overlaid with a high note like that of a pixie's laughter, then underscored with a whisper, like a ghost sharing secrets from beyond. And if her soldiers fall, enemies who foolishly move in to kidnap her are assaulted with a soul-rending wail. Kingdoms have entertained the idea to assassinate her, but none actually made the attempt. For in truth, they all desire one thing: to have the war siren by their side when the great war begins.

In D&D terms:

Bard base class (True Neutral)
High focus on skills centering on Bardic Music (and other PrC feats making use of Bardic Music uses per day) -- this is the most important aspect of her build
Medium to Low HP, but can protect herself adequately with enchantments
Good healing spells
mind-affecting and sonic spells (minor importance)
Excellent speech skills (for recruiting soldiers and dealing with ambassadors)

So, as usual, suggestions for PrC, base class-dips, ability score priorities, spell choices are very much appreciated! Again, don't forget to mention the handbook you're referencing. ^_^

Question: Are instruments prerequisite to the bard's musical power? Or are they just for flavor?

EDIT: Just to clarify, the title does not refer to the monster Siren, or the magical affliction Sirenium :smallbiggrin:

tuesdayscoming
2010-12-20, 03:38 AM
Taking a one level dip in Binder for Naberius's ability to take 10 on Diplomacy, and to rush the check as a standard action without penalty might be worth it. For a less significant investment, you could get the two feats Bind Vestige and Practiced Binder.

Not too sure about how to help with bardic music. Never terribly fond of the class, but at least this serves to *bump*.

poignant123
2010-12-20, 03:45 AM
Dragonfire Inspiration. From Dragon Magic. +1d6 energy damage per attack bonus granted by Inspire Courage. Take Draconic Heritage to get Sonic as the chosen energy type.

Boost your Inspire Courage bonus like crazy through:

Vest of Legends (Item) - DMG II
Song of the Heart (Feat) - Eberron Campaign Setting
Inspirational Boost (Spell) - Spell Compendium
Badge of Valor (Item) - Magic Item Compendium
Masterwork Horn (Item) - Complete Adventurer

To answer the other question, you don't need instruments to trigger Bardic Music. Singing, dancing and reciting poetry are all acceptable.

yldenfrei
2010-12-20, 05:14 AM
@tuesdayscoming: Haha. Naberius saves my warlock from CON damage by the Hellfire Warlock PrC. It seems he'll come in handy again with my bard. ^_^

@poignant: Draconic Heritage is restricted to Sorcerer:smallconfused:. So do I have to dip to Sorcerer, or can I just request the DM to have it houseruled to include Bards? Thanks for the item list BTW ^_^

ALSO: Seeker of the Song vs Sublime Chord (both in Complete Arcane). Both PrCs attainable at Level 9 (I think). The Seeker focuses on giving versatility and damage to the Bardic Music, while Sublime Chord augments the Bards spellcasting. Personally, I think Seeker fits the bill for the War Siren build, but the PrC, once started, must be pursued until its last available level or else I can't advance in it anymore. Any thoughts on this?

gorfnab
2010-12-20, 05:18 AM
You may want to look through the Bard's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0) and the Inspire Courage Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0). For a more versatile bard I usually recommend the build Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge (CM) 2/ Virtuoso (CAdv) 2/ Sublime Chord (CA) 2/ Virtuoso 8. This gets you 9th level spells and lots of Bardic Music based abilities while not tying most of your feats up (only requires Melodic Casting). A more War based version of this would be Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2/ War Weaver (HoB) 1/ Virtuoso 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ War Weaver 4/ Virtuoso 4. War Weaver could let you buff a significant number of allies if you can get your Cha mod high enough.

poignant123
2010-12-20, 06:32 AM
The traditional way is to take Dragontouched and then Draconic Heritage.

If you can get it houseruled though, it'll be awesome. It means you can just take Silverbrow and save a feat slot.

Personally I've always favored melee bards but bard casting allows it to handle melee. With buffs like Haste and Blur, it's pretty solid.

Darrin
2010-12-20, 10:04 AM
The traditional way is to take Dragontouched and then Draconic Heritage.

You can also get Dragontouched as a bonus feat with a 1-level dip into Dragonfire Adept (Dragon Magic).

You also get a breath weapon you can use every round (only 1d6 damage, but add the Entangling Exhalation feat for an excellent area-effect debuff), and one draconic invocation (such as Magic Insight, at-will identify with no material cost).