PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Lots of gp, no idea what to buy (lvl. 19)

Warm Icepack
2010-12-20, 05:02 AM
My group is level 19 and we have been playing Savage Tides for quite some time. We are playing in Eberron and all WoTC sources (except ToB) are allowed.

I recently created a backup character:
Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 17 (Talashtora) Kalashtar.

His M.O. is to engage in expansion-sized fisticuffs with the vampiric blade effect on his unarmed strike.
He doesn't need weapons, he is the weapon.
He doesn't wear armor. Monk abilities and Inertial Armor provide the lion's share of the protection.
Freedom Mantle (Mantled Warrior ACF)- capable of flight and (some) teleportation.

My current character is a cleric and the majority of his income was spent enchanting his armor, shield and morningstars with various effects. In addition, he has constructed a phylactery, a significant expense.

My backup has none of these expenses. So far, I have the following:

Mighty Arms
Battlefist
Ectoplasmic fist
Fanged Ring
Belt of Magnificence
Amulet of Natural Armor +5
Ring of Protection +5

Which means I have a grand total of 262,400 gp to spend. And no idea what to do with it. We have spent a large portion of our time fighting demons and other (evil) outsiders. I would love some sort of method of punching them that they would find most uncomfortable. I'm thinking Holy Battlefist, or are there better options? I'd also like to boost my defenses as much as possible.

My current cleric is also a Bone Knight, so I haven't had to deal with many of the effects my part mates have. Are there ways of avoiding (or mitigating) ability (esp. CON) damage and/or negative levels?

Is there anything else missing that should be corrected?

Thank you.

Halae
2010-12-20, 06:20 AM
one excellent pick is to take at least a few of the very cheap and (at this level )easily made Tempo Bloodspike, from magic of eberron. essentially, you inject it as an immediate action, and for the next hour you can take one move action as a free action (which discharges it). Since this is a free action, you can even take it during your opponent's turn. there's nothing quite so satisfying as watching your DM look at you flatly when you tell him "What? The fieball didn't hit me. I'm over here!" Combined with a handy haversack, which lets you draw whatever's in it as a free action, and as long as you have more in your pack you have extra move actions every round. There's so many ways to break that, since it gives you a pseudo pounce ability, or a way to make perfect dodges. speaking of, is there anyspells that get cast as a move action? or psionic powers? or maybe a maneuver for a tome of battle character? yeah

FelixG
2010-12-20, 06:24 AM
Well

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathward.htm

That spell gives you protection from negative levels atleast!

Also couldnt you enchant your robes as armor to give them magical bonus and armor effects?

Aquillion
2010-12-20, 06:48 AM
Let's see. At a glance, you don't seem to have any method of flight. It would be good to grab something for that, just in case. A Carpet of Flying is relatively cheap given the amount of money you've got to burn... or you could get Winged Boots if you can't think of anything better to put in that slot. Wings of Flying might be the best bet, though. While we're on the subject, Boots of Striding and Springing could be useful, too, and cost basically nothing on your budget.

The boring thing to do would be to spend it on manuals to raise key stats (unless you have already). +5 to Wisdom from a Tome of Understanding would seem to be an obvious choice given the focus of your character.

Ioun Stones are also always an option. The Dusty Rose (+1 AC) Ioun Stone provides an Insight Bonus, which I don't think any of your current AC boosters are, so you could always grab that if you want to boost your AC just a sliver higher. The Pale Green +1 Competence Bonus to almost everything might be nice, too. And the spell storing one never hurts.

Similarly, a Luckstone can be useful if you're not getting a Luck bonus to your saves from anywhere else.

There's always tons of other random magical items that might be useful, depending on what gaps exist in your group's capabilities. A Portable Hole, extra Bag of Holding, Crystal Ball, etc. are always useful. Then there's situational items that are relatively cheap -- you can often find a use for a Decanter of Endless Water or a Lens of Detection.

Since you're psionic, you might consider a Cognizance Crystal, if you don't have one yet.

You might also consider a Skin of Iron; while it's activated, it provides a lot of benefits, including immunity to ability score damage.

Escheton
2010-12-20, 07:51 AM
Peruse the spell compendium.

Check out spells that change your body, like Rightious might, Stone Body, Bite of the Were-whatever, Infernal Transformation, Visage of the Deity and such.
And make items that cast it on you 1/day or more. Costly but awesome.

Most outsiders have spell-likes, so magebane might be nice on that battlefist.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-20, 07:56 AM
Have you got an Torc of power presercation? Or the Ioun stone that increase CL (and thus Ml due the psionic magic transparence)? If not get both of them ASAP the will be the best purchases you will ever make.

I am also a fan of shadow striking weapons (Tome of Magic); put it on your battlefists (they can be enchanted..right?) and never be bothered by DR anymore, it is a bit pricey though.. a +3 equivalent IIRC but I think you can pay it without problem.

I also second getting some way of flying, personally I prefer wings of flying.

Vistella
2010-12-20, 08:23 AM
What about some tomes?

Warm Icepack
2010-12-20, 12:15 PM
Tempo Bloodspike... ...speaking of, is there anyspells that get cast as a move action? or psionic powers? or maybe a maneuver for a tome of battle character? yeah
More than a few psionic powers are castable as swifts either naturally, or augmented. Many of the teleportation-type powers are move actions or can be augmented as such.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathward.htm
That spell gives you protection from negative levels atleast!
Also couldnt you enchant your robes as armor to give them magical bonus and armor effects?
Can't believe I forgot death ward! Being a Bone Knight really atrophied my self preservation instincts. Also, good catch on the enchantment bonus. That brings my current AC to 50.

...you don't seem to have any method of flight...
...Boots of Striding and Springing could be useful, too, and cost basically nothing on your budget...

Apologies. I forgot to mention I took the Mantled Warrior ACF. I have access to the freedom mantle and thus teleportation and flight. The boots are an excellent plan. I plan to get pretty much everything else on your list, but I had some questions about:

You might also consider a Skin of Iron; while it's activated, it provides a lot of benefits, including immunity to ability score damage.
Would Iron Body cause me to lose my monk abilities while its active? It's also worth noting that I have a dex score of around 2 (8 with items) when this is up and I expansion myself. Is there any particular problem with that I don't see, given my invulnerability to ability damage while its up?

Most outsiders have spell-likes, so magebane might be nice on that battlefist.
Some of these guys have been rocking Su abilities. Would this be functional against them?

Have you got an Torc of power presercation? Or the Ioun stone that increase CL (and thus Ml due the psionic magic transparence)? If not get both of them ASAP the will be the best purchases you will ever make.

I am also a fan of shadow striking weapons (Tome of Magic); put it on your battlefists (they can be enchanted..right?) and never be bothered by DR anymore, it is a bit pricey though.. a +3 equivalent IIRC but I think you can pay it without problem.

That makes everything better.
I like shadow striking, I thought I was going to bleed all my powerpoints into power weapon every turn.
Everyone in the party may be arming themselves with a shadow striking weapon now. DR has long been a pain in this adventure. My cleric carries 3 morningstars to deal with potential threats (GMW makes it cheap for him though :smallbiggrin:)

Thank you all for your replies! I'm not sure I have any gp left at this point, but I think I have a solidly equipped backup now.

Salanmander
2010-12-20, 03:38 PM
Since this is a free action, you can even take it during your opponent's turn.

Actually, free actions can only be taken during your turn. Only immediate actions (and sorta readied actions) can be used out-of-turn.

jguy
2010-12-20, 03:42 PM
And it is a move action to pull anything out of a Handy Haversack. A standard to pull something out of a Bag of Holding