PDA

View Full Version : Computer Issues

blackouttwo
2010-12-20, 05:10 AM
I'm aware that GitP isn't exactly a tech-support forum, but I figured I'd get a second opinion.

Something is dangerously wrong with my computer. It is lagging terribly, and I've checked it's hard drive space. I had upwards of 14 GB of hard drive space, and it's gone. I have less than 300 MB for no discernable reason.

I upgraded my anti-virus program, ran two full scans, and then cleared up some space by deleting files I never use. The memory problems disappeared for a day, with me having 5 GB of space.

Now it's back down to less than 300 MB.

I've run two virus scans, deleted old files, and otherwise done what I can to fix the problem, but the hard drive space remains low.

What's going on here?

Whoracle
2010-12-20, 07:05 AM
Without sitting at the box, I don't have an idea of what's wrong, though it sure sounds like a) a Virus or b) some software swapping teribbly. More likely a).

Give SequoiaView (http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview/download_sequoiaview/) a spin.

It's great for locating big sectors of used space on a harddrive. Maybe that'll give you a clue.

Eloel
2010-12-20, 07:15 AM
You should also try defragmenting your computer - tends to get your computer more organized and able to hold more stuff.

When all else fails, backup & format.

factotum
2010-12-20, 07:20 AM
How big is your pagefile? If something is using massive amounts of memory it would both (a) push other things out of your RAM and (b) force a lot of swapping to and from disc, slowing your machine down and using up the space on your C: drive.

Anyway, I would recommend using something like TreeSizeFree to see where all that space is being used on your drive--might give you a clue as to what the culprit is.

blackouttwo
2010-12-20, 11:14 AM
Alright. Thanks, I'll try defragmenting and TreeSizeFree. Maybe SequoiaView too.

Also, update. It appears my memory has reversed to the point where it has 3 GB of space, instead of 300 MB. I think my hard drive's screwing with me.

blackouttwo
2010-12-20, 04:55 PM
Double-post ahoy!

The defragmentation is working like a charm. Five gigs are already cleared up, and I think there's a lot more to go. Thanks Playgrounders. I was worried thar.