PDA

View Full Version : A Horror One-Shot

Lord Loss
2010-12-20, 07:23 AM
The guy hosting our game gave me the A-Okay to run a One-Shot instead of our weekly D&D game at one of our next sessions. I've ran horror before, but it's always been a campaign-type thing, like my old CoC campaign. However, I'm looking for some new and interesting, rules lite game that will easily weird out the players. It should be:

1) Weird and Unexpected
2) Deadly and fast paced
3) Leave possibility for a continuation, should the characters survive

I've been looking at things ranging from Dreamlands and Cthulhu Invictus to Promethean: The Created (and other White Wolf games). So far, I can't really decide what I'd like to run. My players range from role-players to Hack and Slashers to players who enjoy stealth and exploration. Also, many enjoy writing character background immensely and do it in their spare time, if it helps. They have very limited information information on the mythos.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Psyx
2010-12-20, 07:51 AM
If it's a one-shot, then the system that uses Jenga is supposed to be pretty brilliant. Erm... can't remember its name though...

Lord Loss
2010-12-20, 08:04 AM
If it's a one-shot, then the system that uses Jenga is supposed to be pretty brilliant. Erm... can't remember its name though...

I'll give Dread a look. I'm not sure how it goes on the weird-ometer, but apart from that it seems to be a very, very good system.

Totally Guy
2010-12-20, 08:29 AM
I'd love to run a one shot of Lacuna.

It's a bit like Inception, you delve into a collective consciousness dream state where you have to eliminate a hostile personality, essentially making a real person good by eliminating that part of him.

But then it gets weird...

When the players influence the dream world around them their heartrate increases. It's a beads in the jar style counterdown. The more beads in the jar... the darker the imagery and the weirder the situations they encounter.

I bet it could be really scary.

Lord Loss
2010-12-20, 08:46 AM
I'd love to run a one shot of Lacuna.

It's a bit like Inception, you delve into a collective consciousness dream state where you have to eliminate a hostile personality, essentially making a real person good by eliminating that part of him.

But then it gets weird...

When the players influence the dream world around them their heartrate increases. It's a beads in the jar style counterdown. The more beads in the jar... the darker the imagery and the weirder the situations they encounter.

I bet it could be really scary.

Is this available for download? I'd love to give it a look-see. Inception is one of my favorite movies and this game seems like what I'm looking for. Also, what system does it use for action resolution and character generation?

THX Glug.

EDIT: Isdon't rest your head any good? A reviewer compared the two...

Britter
2010-12-20, 11:50 AM
I have heard good reports from one of my IRL players regarding Dread. In the interest of full disclousre, I myself haven't played the game, but I think it sounds like a pretty slid tool for a one-shot horror game.

Totally Guy
2010-12-20, 12:28 PM
Is this available for download? I'd love to give it a look-see. Inception is one of my favorite movies and this game seems like what I'm looking for.

I can't get onto the author Jared Sorensen's website as I'm at work. I thought it was on Drive Thru but it's not...

I'm trying to remember the resolution. It's a 3d6 roll over target number with modifiers...

It's quite light, an independent system. And the GM never rolls dice.

The other weird thing was that it was written and published before Inception. The similarities are scary.

Lord Loss
2010-12-20, 06:11 PM
I found the website, I'll look at soon (I'm studying for my midterms).

White_North
2010-12-20, 06:52 PM
Is don't rest your head any good? A reviewer compared the two...

Don't Rest Your Head is amazing. It's just about the best horror system I've ever used. It works better in very small groups, but it's perfectly suited for horror one-shots. Give it a read, if you can. It's seriously great.

Lord Loss
2010-12-21, 06:34 AM
Don't Rest Your Head is amazing. It's just about the best horror system I've ever used. It works better in very small groups, but it's perfectly suited for horror one-shots. Give it a read, if you can. It's seriously great.

I think I will get it then. Also, does anyone know if Promethean: The Created is any good (it's a white wolf WOD take on Frankenstei)