PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Equipement on a limited budget

weenie
2010-12-20, 08:52 AM
My party is in a low level 3.5 game and we're quite behind WBL. We're level 4 at the moment and the average pary member has around 700 gp worth of equipement on himself. But last session we were able to loot the hell out of a few people and now we have someting around 1000gp each to spend on whatever we decide. Is it a good idea to buy some utility potions like spider climb etc, or should we save our money to buy something more expensive, but reusable later in the campaign? Consider that combat so far has been pretty deadly, since in 4 sessions we got pretty close to a TPK on more than a few ocasions.

On a second tought, why make it only about my party? What items do you tend to buy when the game is tough, but gold is hard to get?

dextercorvia
2010-12-20, 09:11 AM
I would skip the potions/consumables for now. If you are playing that far below WBL, you just can't afford to use a potion during combat.

For your money, your best bet is probably Augment Crystals from the MIC. Least Crystals cost less than 1000, and attach to MW weapons and armor (which I hope you have already) to give them some magical properties.

Spellcasters would probably get a boost out of an Eternal Wand ~800gp for level 1 spell 2/day. If you have any Sorcerer style casters, they would likely appreciate a custom Runestaff. You can get 7 different 1st level spells on one each 1/day or 3 different spells 3/day for $800 (or mix and match). Runestaves use your own spell slots rather than charges though, so they is more about versatility.

Escheton
2010-12-20, 09:20 AM
The first few lvls are low on cash anyways. So it does not matter much.
From this point on it will hurt though. If the DM does not intend to fix this I suggest taking some feats like vow of poverty to deal with it.

Potions and scrolls are your friend, for 25 or 50gold you can have +6 str for a minute or double in size.
On a potionbelt with potionblathers you can grab the potion as a free action and drink it (under water even) without an AoO.

dextercorvia
2010-12-20, 09:25 AM
Potions and scrolls are your friend, for 25 or 50gold you can have +6 str for a minute or double in size.
On a potionbelt with potionblathers you can grab the potion as a free action and drink it (under water even) without an AoO.

I really think that spending money to end encounters in a low WBL situation is a diminishing returns situation. Doc Roc has a item based caster in one of his campaigns, using OP-fu to get scrolls for like 10% of their cost. He noticed by the end of the second session that it wasn't sustainable at WBL.

Escheton
2010-12-20, 09:32 AM
You will replace most magic items anyways and as such you lose half gold on most items you don't constantly upgrade.
It hasn't been determined if this is a low gold campaign or if the dm has not been able to throw enough gold at them sensibly with the encounters they have been having.

As such, usuable items aren't so bad. Some are actually pretty damn good.
And they have to make the most of what they have, as such picking and choosing items from Shax's is a pretty good idea.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

Saintheart
2010-12-20, 09:36 AM
Healing Belt. 750 GP and you've got healing potions forever, thus freeing up the cleric for other duties. :smallwink:

weenie
2010-12-20, 09:36 AM
I really think that spending money to end encounters in a low WBL situation is a diminishing returns situation. Doc Roc has a item based caster in one of his campaigns, using OP-fu to get scrolls for like 10% of their cost. He noticed by the end of the second session that it wasn't sustainable at WBL.

Well, yes of course, if we could win battles without drinking potions we probably would do so, but in our last combat for example, we were sort of ambushed by archers standing on a high ledge, and without using two potions of spider climb that we had, me and the duskblade would never have gotten to them before they made us into swiss cheese.. But still, if we spend all our money on potions we won't ever be able to buy those life saving +x armors and weapons.

So what potions should we have in our belts to make us survive really tough encounters?

Escheton
2010-12-20, 09:46 AM
Fist of stone
Enlarge person
Cure light wounds (you never know, it might save you) Take faith healing with you deity instead for free maximize version.
Magic weapon (scroll)(facing an incorporeal like a shade without one is tpk)
Ebon eyes(see through magical darkness)

Do you need a way to get from aquatic death? there is a lvl 1 druid spell (buoyand lifting) that makes you float to the surface and a lvl 1 wiz spell (deep breath) that fills your lungs with air.

Further, check out shax's for great stuff that will prove usefull.

weenie
2010-12-20, 10:09 AM
Oh, another question. Arrows that deliver spells when they hit are use activated items, right? So an arrow that delivers a shocking grasp at cl1 costs 40gp. And does the same as a shock arrow. Am I reading this right?

AdalKar
2010-12-20, 01:25 PM
Just a nice link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101&highlight=Shax) to the already mentioned Shax :smallwink:

Akal Saris
2010-12-20, 04:02 PM
I would prioritize a cheap healing item or 2, whether a wand of cure light wounds or one of the more exotic items. Then make sure everyone is using masterwork weapons and the best mundane armor they can get.

From there, it depends on the campaign. If it's a "magic-mart" type, I'd save up for the cheapest utility items in the Magic Item Compendium (MIC) - many of the boots, bracers, and necklaces are in the 750g-2K range and will be useful for the next dozen levels.

I have the same problem as you in one of my games - at level 12 my ranger had only a masterwork composite longbow and some studded leather. So believe me when I say that the MIC is a lifesaver for low-budget characters :P

veven
2010-12-20, 04:34 PM
I'm gonna second the healing belt, for 750gp you get up to 6d8 points of healing per day, it never goes away unless it's stolen. I'd take that over 15 CLW potions any day.

Probably the most cost effective healing however, is a wand of lesser vigor.

750 gold gets you 15 CLW potions. On average that is 82.5 points of healing, or about 9 gp per HP healed.

750 can also get you a healing belt. Average healing there is about 27 hp per day but since it lasts forever it's pretty invaluable.

750 for a wand of Lesser Vigor at CL 1.healing is 550 points of damage, or 1.36 gp per HP healed.

the math says it all.

It might be worth noting that you'll need a cleric/druid or someone with UMD to use the wand, so if you for some reason don't have that then the belt is the way to go. Also the wand is not that useful in battle, so maybe spring for both if you can afford it.

Warlawk
2010-12-20, 05:30 PM
My party is in a low level 3.5 game and we're quite behind WBL. We're level 4 at the moment and the average pary member has around 700 gp worth of equipement on himself.

I feel your pain... we just hit level 5 and have about 80G each with 1500 in our group funds, we have found I think one item each, but they are mostly utility items as opposed to the raw weapons/armor that we could REALLY use right about now. (Ring of resistance, artificers monocle that sort)

Seconding the suggestions... wand of lesser vigor, healing belt, artificers monocle (identify X times per day means never having to waste cash on pearls again)

Lord Bingo
2010-12-20, 05:46 PM
Healing Belt. 750 GP and you've got healing potions forever, thus freeing up the cleric for other duties. :smallwink:

I second this. Healing belt is by far the best thing you can spend your money on.

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-20, 06:12 PM

This. It's in the magic item compendium. And augmentation crystals too.

Book of Exalted Deeds has the Ancestral Relic feat. That will also help stretch your cash a bit. Just make sure you loot everything. Tables, pots, candles, rugs. EVERYTHING, and sacrifice it all to your weapon.