PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Familiar as Spellcasters

Kansaschaser
2010-12-20, 11:18 AM
I know there are some spells and feats you can take that let your familiar cast some 0, 1st, and 2nd level spells.

I was wondering if there is anything that allows your familiar to caster higher level spells?

Also, I swear I saw a feat one time where you could cast a spell that required concentration and then you could let your familiar take over concentrating on the spell. Anyone know of that feat and where it's from?

Vistella
2010-12-20, 11:32 AM
Also, I swear I saw a feat one time where you could cast a spell that required concentration and then you could let your familiar take over concentrating on the spell. Anyone know of that feat and where it's from?

its a class feature from the spirit shaman, maybe youre thinking of this

Kansaschaser
2010-12-20, 11:34 AM
I'll have to go look at the spirit shaman now.

dextercorvia
2010-12-20, 11:36 AM
Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability grants the familiar some of your spells based on your CL, It can go up to 5th level spells.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-20, 11:38 AM
Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability grants the familiar some of your spells based on your CL, It can go up to 5th level spells.

Ok, is Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability a feat or a spell? All I can find is "Imbue with Spell Ability" the spell from the Players Handbook.

dextercorvia
2010-12-20, 11:41 AM
Ok, is Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability a feat or a spell? All I can find is "Imbue with Spell Ability" the spell from the Players Handbook.

It's a spell in the Spell Compendium. I think it was originally in Complete Arcane.

Vistella
2010-12-20, 11:42 AM
theres the spell-linked familiar feat in the phb2. it gives your familiar the ability to cast spells which you transfer into it (if i understood it right) based on your CL

€dit: typos

Kansaschaser
2010-12-20, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much. I was looking through a plethora of books and I guess I just forgot to check the Spell Compendium. That is the spell I was looking for.

Analytica
2010-12-20, 08:28 PM
If what you want is the flavour more than the mechanics, you could use Leadership for this and have your cohort be an awakened animal spellcaster who is actually your familiar...

Chilingsworth
2010-12-20, 08:47 PM
another option that might work would be to get a stiched flesh familiar (Libris Mortis, Pg. 30) and then put the spellstiched template on it. I'm not sure how many spells it would get, but they wouldn't come out of your spell total, and you could give it more spells with the other methods mentioned here.

Master Thrower
2010-12-20, 09:26 PM
another option that might work would be to get a stiched flesh familiar (Libris Mortis, Pg. 30) and then put the spellstiched template on it. I'm not sure how many spells it would get, but they wouldn't come out of your spell total, and you could give it more spells with the other methods mentioned here.

hmm how exactly would that work? wouldnt it change your familiars level?

Jack_Simth
2010-12-20, 09:31 PM
hmm how exactly would that work? wouldnt it change your familiars level?
No - it'd be expensive as all get-out, but would give your familiar a few spell-like abilities usable on a daily basis.

Master Thrower
2010-12-20, 09:35 PM
No - it'd be expensive as all get-out, but would give your familiar a few spell-like abilities usable on a daily basis.

what book is spell stiched in?

Jack_Simth
2010-12-20, 09:45 PM

Complete Arcane and Monster Manual II.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-20, 09:46 PM

originally in monster manual 2, but reprinted in Libris Mortis, I think.

EDIT: Can't seem to find it in LM, but I could have sworn I've seen it reprinted somewhere??:smallconfused:

Gabe the Bard
2010-12-21, 12:17 AM
A Bard/Sublime Chord with the Obtain Familiar Feat actually has pretty good synergy with the Imbue Familiar Spell, since bards get some of the 6th level wizard spells as 5th level spells, including Greater Dispel Magic.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 12:22 PM
A Bard/Sublime Chord with the Obtain Familiar Feat actually has pretty good synergy with the Imbue Familiar Spell, since bards get some of the 6th level wizard spells as 5th level spells, including Greater Dispel Magic.

Actually, I love the Bard/Sublime Chord combo. I've used it on more than one occasion. I've never added a familiar to the combo, but I guess it's not out of the question.

If I played a Wizard and chose not to have a familiar to obtain some other ability, could I take the Obtain Familiar Feat?

dextercorvia
2010-12-21, 12:30 PM
Actually, I love the Bard/Sublime Chord combo. I've used it on more than one occasion. I've never added a familiar to the combo, but I guess it's not out of the question.

If I played a Wizard and chose not to have a familiar to obtain some other ability, could I take the Obtain Familiar Feat?

Absolutely. Just remember that Familiars don't (usually) get advanced by PrC's, so it may not be worth the Feat. Unlike the Bard/Sublime Chord which are both Arcane Spellcasting classes, and thus stack for purposes of the feat.

There are a couple of things that you can trade away the familiar for, that prohibit you from gaining a familiar any other way.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 12:33 PM
Is it possible to cast "Imbue with Spell Ability" and "Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability" on your familiar and have them stack? They are technically two different spells.

Crow
2010-12-21, 12:35 PM
There's also Familiar Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#familiarSpell). But you have to be epic.

dextercorvia
2010-12-21, 12:41 PM
Is it possible to cast "Imbue with Spell Ability" and "Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability" on your familiar and have them stack? They are technically two different spells.

You can, but "To cast a spell with a verbal component, the subject must be able to speak. To cast a spell with a somatic component, it must have humanlike hands." this might be prohibitive.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 12:52 PM
You can, but "To cast a spell with a verbal component, the subject must be able to speak. To cast a spell with a somatic component, it must have humanlike hands." this might be prohibitive.

I think I could overcome the restrictions on that fairly easily. Cool.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-21, 01:08 PM
I think I could overcome the restrictions on that fairly easily. Cool.

yeah, just take draconic familiar (Draconomicon) and get a bronze,silver, or gold dragon... Or get improved familiar and get an imp, quasit, or mephit.

CyMage
2010-12-21, 01:10 PM
Absolutely. Just remember that Familiars don't (usually) get advanced by PrC's, so it may not be worth the Feat. Unlike the Bard/Sublime Chord which are both Arcane Spellcasting classes, and thus stack for purposes of the feat.

There are a couple of things that you can trade away the familiar for, that prohibit you from gaining a familiar any other way.

Obtain_Familiar ("http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Obtain_Familiar) does advance it with PrCs. As long as the PrC advances arcane casting.

dextercorvia
2010-12-21, 01:21 PM
Obtain_Familiar ("http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Obtain_Familiar) does advance it with PrCs. As long as the PrC advances arcane casting.

Many DM's read Advancing casting /= allow you to cast arcane spells.

Spellcasting Advancing PrC's are not what allow you to cast spells. Most of them do not grant the ability.