PDA

View Full Version : Druid wild shaping on the move?

gandalf1974
2010-12-20, 11:53 AM
Can a druid wild shape in the middle of a move? For example, can I start out my charge as a human and finish it as a rhino? If normally "no" is there a feat that allows you to do so? Kinda like a Spring Attack but for shape changing.

Eloel
2010-12-20, 12:02 PM
I -think- there're a couple ways to make Wild Shape a swift action. That would work for you.
As written? Nope. You can't even change & charge, since changing is a standard action.

Vistella
2010-12-20, 12:03 PM
unless you got an extra standard action you cant wildshape and charge in the same round. the exception is if you have the two feats which reduce the action needed from standard to move to swift. (fast wildshape and swift wildshape iirc)
but then would it make a difference if you shape befor charging other then style?

€dit: swashbucklered

dextercorvia
2010-12-20, 12:09 PM
As a DM, I would let you RP it that way, but mechanically you would be changing then moving.

Eldariel
2010-12-20, 12:11 PM
Swift Wildshape can be acquired as a feat or through Vestment of the Beast item set. That'll get it done.

Volos
2010-12-20, 12:12 PM
Wild shape is already one of the most powerful class features in the game (aside from the Ur-Priest's ability to steal spell like abilites). Why do you need to speed it up? Besides, at the higher levels when Druids don't need feats, you can just stay in wild shape all day.

Eloel
2010-12-20, 12:14 PM
Wild shape is already one of the most powerful class features in the game (aside from the Ur-Priest's ability to steal spell like abilites). Why do you need to speed it up? Besides, at the higher levels when Druids don't need feats, you can just stay in wild shape all day.

"Looks cool" sounds like reason enough. Someone starting to run with an angry look on his face, turning into a rhino, and trampling the enemy. The mental image is epic.

Volos
2010-12-20, 12:39 PM
"Looks Cool" goes under the description of fluff, which would imply that you don't need RAW to back it up. There are feats from 3.0 that make wild shaping a standard action. Just take two turns to get to someone.

Turn one, move action to run and standard to wild shape.
Turn two, standard action to charge.

Vistella
2010-12-20, 12:44 PM
There are feats from 3.0 that make wild shaping a standard action.

in 3.5 you dont even need a feat to shape as standard action :p

also a charge is a full round action, not a standard action unless under some very specific conditions

Volos
2010-12-20, 12:50 PM
in 3.5 you dont even need a feat to shape as standard action :p

also a charge is a full round action, not a standard action unless under some very specific conditions

There was no edition mentioned in the OP, so I figured from what was mentioned that we were in 3.0 here. But you are correct, if that is what we are discussing.

Vistella
2010-12-20, 01:04 PM
well, i just checked it and in 3.0 its just a standard action too, so a moot point

gandalf1974
2010-12-20, 01:19 PM
It's purely for flavor but I wanted to know if there was a feat that would back it up. I'm pretty sure our DM will allow it because we frequently get bonus XP for role play or well-described actions.

Thanks all for answers.