PDA

View Full Version : Friendship, Loyalty, and betrayal

Occasional Sage
2010-12-20, 12:52 PM
The Forums seem rife with people asking some variant of, "If there's a fight, will Malack betray Durkon?". This has been happening since Malak started getting screen time, most every time his name is mentioned.

How would this be betrayal? Durkon is, at this point, a likable fellow who says things Malak agrees with. He's a nice guy and a fair voice, but has hardly proven himself a friend over time. Tarquin and company are years- or even decades-long adventuring companions, all of whom have surely stood between Malak and certain death at some point.

Support this idea, please, that Malak would conceivably side with Durkon (and by extension the OotS) against Tarquin and their Cabal of Super-Secret Power.

King of Nowhere
2010-12-20, 01:56 PM
i agree that malack would side with tarquin eventually.

But i also think that, in case of a figth, he would try to parlay and prevent bloodshed, if possible. I think his loyalty to durkon (and probably V) goes that far.

NerfTW
2010-12-20, 03:01 PM
I doubt there would even be a fight. Tarquin and Haley have both pointed out the futility of a battle, and Tarquin has already shown that he'd prefer the Order finish their quest.

It's an evil empire, yes, but at the moment it's an evil empire amongst other evil empires posing no real threat to the Order.

Malack and Durkon would probably both refuse to fight if anything came up.

Swordpriest
2010-12-20, 03:48 PM
I agree with the OP. Malack and Durkon get along well, but if it came to open battle, I doubt either would hesitate to fight the other. Getting along well with a chance acquaintance isn't the same as needing to wrestle very much (or at all) with qualms about pounding on them if they turn on you violently. There's no real attachment, just a temporary conversational friendship, so to speak.

'Twould be easy, methinks.

Hallavast
2010-12-20, 03:59 PM
Indeed. I'm glad others have noticed that Malack can not betray Durkon, simply because betrayal implies trust and some kind of alligience. There are neither between the two.

Further, Malack would be a shallow character indeed if a few panels of conversation somehow overrode years of loyalty.

veti
2010-12-20, 04:09 PM
I don't get why people think there will, or should, be a fight at all. There's no reason for it.

It's in the Order's interests to take all the help they can get, and get on with their world-saving quest.

It's in Malack and Tarquin's interests to help them.

Seriously, what are they going to fight about? I'm pretty sure Malack and Tarquin will be happy to make as many concessions as necessary to prevent that from happening. (It's not like it's even their empire whose resources they'd be giving away...)

KillItWithFire
2010-12-21, 05:29 PM
I dont think Malack would "betray" Durkon, but has no reason not to go against him. For instance, I doubt hypothetically that Malack would poison Durkon, kill him in his sleep, or lead him to a trap. I do think he would openly fight Durkon if it came t blows. In short, his loyalty to Tarquin outweighs that with Durkon, but he won't betray the friendship he already has with him.

Occasional Sage
2010-12-21, 05:47 PM
I dont think Malack would "betray" Durkon, but has no reason not to go against him.

You mean no reason TO go against him, right? Yeah, I'm there with you on how Malak feels about Durkon. People are suggesting that he would maybe side with D against Tarquin, though, which is what floors me.

KillItWithFire
2010-12-21, 09:14 PM
You mean no reason TO go against him, right? Yeah, I'm there with you on how Malak feels about Durkon. People are suggesting that he would maybe side with D against Tarquin, though, which is what floors me.

Yeah that's ridiculous. While I'm sure he doesn't want to go against either of them, he would choose Tarquin if he were put in a position.

Scarlet Knight
2010-12-22, 11:43 AM
I believe Malak would act the way Durkon did with Miko. Side with your friends but try to avoid conflict if at all possible. Still, he is a reptile...I can't say I would be surprised if he simply did not care either way.

squiremarcus
2010-12-22, 12:18 PM
I agree with op. to suggest that Malack would switch sides if a battle came because of his friendship leaves open the possibility that the opposite could happen, meaning durkon backing up Malack's side.