PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Paper - Anyone used this?

Sipex
2010-12-20, 01:14 PM
I popped by a friends place for gift exchanges before Christmas consumed our free time and they said my present had been ordered but had not yet arrived. They did have a video to show me what I got though.

"A video?" I thought. "What on earth would have a video? Is it a trailer for a game?"

Well, turns out it's Dungeon Paper. A stack of specially created grids which all line up for an epic adventure. You can find the video here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamingpaper/gaming-paper-adventures?ref=email

It looks pretty cool but I was wondering if anyone has used the product before. My friends also got the adventure which I'll have to convert (We use 4th edition) so opinions on that are valid as well.

Yora
2010-12-20, 01:32 PM
You're sure you linked the right vid? It doesn't seem to match what you're talking about.

Sipex
2010-12-20, 01:57 PM
...damn.

I'll update the link later once I hit home again.

Sipex
2010-12-20, 06:11 PM
Updated the link, it's called Gaming Paper

Dr.Epic
2010-12-20, 06:28 PM
Meh, looks interesting. I like how you can use some variations, but I'm not sure I'd spend money on it when I could just make my own.

Obrysii
2010-12-20, 06:32 PM
Honestly, it's too much work for too little benefit.

Sipex
2010-12-20, 08:32 PM
Yar, I had hoped they were laminated at the very least but it doesn't seem so.

Still, it's my present so I want to make the most out of it.

valadil
2010-12-20, 09:02 PM
Never tried it, but I'm tempted to. I like the idea of having ready made dungeons so I don't have to think. I'd probably just deploy random dungeon rooms and ditch whatever plot they'd written. I'd be more likely to buy it if I could get whatever software they used though. IMO there's a shortage of quick and dirty map editors, optimized for printer friendliness instead over shiny graphics.

AyeGill
2010-12-21, 01:13 AM
Seems kinda nice, but meh, it doesn't seem that special. Premade adventures have no interest to me, and tiled dungeon maps that fit together isn't exactly new. The only interesting feature, i think, is how they're writing different dungeon crawls for it that will use a different layout of the tiles. That is kind of interesting, although still not enough to warrant a purchase.

ryzouken
2010-12-21, 03:12 AM
... why not just use dungeon tiles?

the tiles are tougher, and seem to accomplish most of what you'd use the paper for. Only sticky part is delineating walls, but that's easily done with a few spacers.

Sipex
2010-12-21, 10:02 AM
Oh yeah, I have dungeon tiles (which I prefer) but as I said, this is a gift which is already purchased so I'm going to use it.

I may look into getting the sheets laminated so I can write on them and such.

The room layouts are nice though, I can probably think of various ways to use them.

I'll update when I get it and let you know what the adventure is like.