PDA

View Full Version : Dusk Fiend (3.5 Monster PEACH)

RndmNumGen
2010-12-20, 05:24 PM
I'm starting to get into DMing, and was planning on my first game being a one-shot in a small cavern. As the PCs are going to be Lv1, I was going to fill it with several types of vermin and animals such as rats, monstrous centipedes, wolves and the occasional bat swarm. All these animals will be far more aggressive than normal, antagonized by something deeper in the cave. I wasn't able to find anything fitting in the monster manual, so I came up with my own creature loosely based off of a green hag:

Dusk Fiend
Monstrous Humanoid
HD 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Speed 30 ft.(6 squares)
Init: +5
AC 18 (+1 Dex, +7 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
BAB +6/+8
Attack Gore +8 melee (1d6+2) or cleaver +9 melee (1d6+3/x3)
(damage, critical range/critical multiplier + additional damage)
Full-Attack Gore +8 melee (1d6+2) and claw +3 melee(1d4+1); OR cleaver +8/+3 melee (1d6+3/x3) and gore +3 melee (1d6+1) and claw +3 melee (1d4+1).
Space5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks Frightful Presence
Special Qualities Darkvision
Saves Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Wis 10, Int 12, Cha 12
Skills Craft(Bonecraft or Leathercraft) +4, Heal +4, Hide +4, Listen +6, Move Silently +4, Spot +6
Feats Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Armor, Weapon Focus(Cleaver)
Environment Underground
Organization Solitary, Pair
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure Standard gold; No gems; Standard art; Standard magical items; Extra 100gp worth of crafts made from human bone or skin.
Alignment Usually chaotic evil
Advancement by character class; favored class Barbarian.
Level Adjustment -

Cleaver:
The Dusk Fiend uses a meat cleaver that is functionally identical to a hand axe.

Frightful Presence:
Any creature who sees the Dusk Fiend attack must make a will save(DC 14)
or become shaken for 1d4 rounds.

None of my players are very experienced(neither am I, for that matter) so I'm not sure how much adjustment this needs. Its supposed to be the main encounter in the cavern, so it needs to be suitably challenging, but I don't want it to overpower them either.

LOTRfan
2010-12-20, 05:32 PM
CR seems about right.

Saves: Fortitude is right, Reflex save should be 4, and Will save should be 3. Never mind, it has six HD. :smallredface:

I like the meat cleaver. :smallamused:

All in all, pretty good monster.

RndmNumGen
2010-12-20, 07:13 PM
I like the meat cleaver. :smallamused:

Thanks! I was trying to go for something unusually brutal while still keeping the barbaric simplicity of the creature.

Debihuman
2010-12-21, 10:42 AM
Calling a "Fiend" is a bit of a misnomer because it isn't a Demon or a Devil. The male offspring of a Hag is usually called a hagspawn. Of course, if the mother is a hag, what is the father? You could go with a minotaur, which would explain the gore attack at least.

Should we assume this is a Medium creature. You left its Size off the statblock.

Giving it a gore attack makes it slightly more powerful than the hag. This assumes that it has a horn on its head or something like that.

Also, since the cleaver is a Light weapon (like a handaxe) it is only +2 additional damage when used as a primary weapon.

Debby

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-21, 12:25 PM
Calling a "Fiend" is a bit of a misnomer because it isn't a Demon or a Devil.

Take that metagamers! No more advantages when I mistakenly let the name slip!

RndmNumGen
2010-12-21, 04:00 PM
What about "Dusk Horror" instead? Would that be better? It's not really a hag, I just used similar statistics. It is a medium creature, and it does have horns, though it isn't a minotaur. Good call on the cleaver being a light weapon though.

Moribundus
2010-12-21, 07:33 PM
Thumbs Up.

Stylish.

Debihuman
2010-12-27, 07:05 AM
The Dusk Horror (Dusk Fiend if you prefer) doesn't get +3 on its damage with its gore and claws. It has two natural attacks so it only gets its normal Str modifier (+2).

Debby