PDA

View Full Version : Archivists and Knowledge

Mikka
2010-12-20, 05:42 PM
So i'm making an archivist with knowledge devotion, and of course, knowledge is already a useful skill for them. All the guides/handbooks and such i've read go "So yeah you're gonna be crrrazy with that stuff" but i don't really see how to actually give myself a good skill level in the knowledge skills.

So, are there any useful feats? items? tricks and such that can help you improve your knowledge?

I think my most important knowledge will be (Religion) so thats what my Lore Mastery has been used on.

Level 5 archivist, and 9000 gp budget , a little above is fine but in general no need for high level advice ><

Bakkan
2010-12-20, 06:10 PM
Check to see if your DM will allow the Collector of Stories skill trick from Complete Scoundrel to give a bonus to the Knowledge checks you make for Knowledge Devotion. If so, you spend 2 skill points to gain a +5 bonus to your Knowledge checks.

The Crystal Mask of Knowledge form the Magic Item Compendium gives you a +5 bonus on a specific Knowledge check.

The Lore of the Gods spell form Complete Champion gives you a +5 insight bonus to Knowledge checks for 10 min/level, and it's a 2nd-level cleric spell. If you worship a deity that grants the Knowledge domain, the spell instead grants +10.

In summary, I would put at least 1 rank into all 6 Knowledge used for Knowledge devotion, max out the two or three that apply to your most common foes, get the Collector of stories skill trick, keep Lore of the Gods on yourself when possible, and get a Crystal Mask corresponding to the most common foe you face. Assuming you have a +4 intelligence, this gives you

+15/+20 =1 rank +4 Int +5 collector of stories +5/10 Lore of the Gods check for your uncommon knowledges,

+22/+27=8 ranks +4 Int +5 collector of stories +5/10 Lore of the Gods check for your common knowledges

+27/+32=8 ranks +4 Int +5 collector of stories +5/10 Lore of the Gods +5 Crystal Mask check for your focused knowledge. This gets you a +5 atk/damage very regularly.

Total investment: a 2nd-level spell slot, 2500 gp, 2 skill points, and 1 feat (Knowledge Devotion)

Mikka
2010-12-20, 06:22 PM
Ouch, very nice. Thanks alot!

Psyren
2010-12-20, 07:01 PM
With all your knowledge bonuses you should go for a Bardic Knowledge class to be the party loremonkey. This will also help you track down the more obscure scrolls to boost your power, e.g. druid scrolls, fringe domains etc. Loremaster is in the SRD and is thus the easiest way, however I prefer Pargnostic Apostle for the flavor synergy and allowing you more room to fit Dark Knowledges into your build (including Dread Secret.)

Thurbane
2010-12-20, 09:01 PM
You might find some good tips here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177203&highlight=knowledge) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176427&highlight=knowledge).

SurlySeraph
2010-12-20, 09:04 PM
Don't forget the Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance (MiC). 8,000 gp for +5 to Knowledge checks.

Mikka
2010-12-21, 12:42 PM
Since you're so helpful i can't help but ask another question.

Since im starting level 5 i can technically only choose from the cleric spell list, so i think i'll have to buy new spells with my available resources. How is that handled? Do i buy scrolls for their full price and buy them, i think i remember somewhere reading that you can pay the same price as you know hiring an NPC to cast the spell, to represent being allowing to scribe off spells from another archivist, or say borrowing a book from a library. I just can't remember the price for that ><* . . . or scrolls for that matter : P

Godskook
2010-12-21, 02:57 PM
Assuming Archivists are priced the same as Wizards:

1.It costs 100gp per page to copy something into your prayerbook. This non-negotiable and firm.

2.It costs 50gp*spell-level to learn a spell directly out of a wizard's spellbook. This is negotiable, and relies on the wizard in question. This starts being cost effective at 3rd spell level, and is a *GREAT* price for learning high level spells.

3.Scrolls are a good method of learning low-level spells and a low-trust way of learning high level ones. 1st level scrolls are comparatively so cheap that you can keep the scroll and still come out ahead versus borrowing a spellbook. 2nd level is still cheaper(75gp versus 100gp), but you need to sell the scroll for it to be so.

With that in mind, you should always by the scroll in two cases: If its a 2nd level spell or less, or if you want a scroll to keep with you afterwards anyway. Otherwise, borrow a prayerbook if/when you can. However, I don't see Archivists being a common class, by any stretch, so good luck finding a prayerbook that you can borrow.

That said, it should go without saying that prayerbooks and scrolls found in loot are things you've got "pre-distribution" dibs on, for the learning they contain. Then you can put it back into the "party loot" section to be sold or distributed more fairly.

Stegyre
2010-12-21, 03:08 PM
3.Scrolls are a good method of learning low-level spells and a low-trust way of learning high level ones. 1st level scrolls are comparatively so cheap that you can keep the scroll and still come out ahead versus borrowing a spellbook. 2nd level is still cheaper(75gp versus 100gp), but you need to sell the scroll for it to be so.
I may be misunderstanding what's being said, and I don't have a handy RAW quote, but I was pretty sure that scribing from a scroll uses up that spell on the scroll, so it's not possible to scribe the spell and still have it available to be cast via scroll. :smallconfused:

Godskook
2010-12-21, 03:26 PM
I may be misunderstanding what's being said, and I don't have a handy RAW quote, but I was pretty sure that scribing from a scroll uses up that spell on the scroll, so it's not possible to scribe the spell and still have it available to be cast via scroll. :smallconfused:

You are right. So only 1st level spells are economical to buy for that purpose.

Stegyre
2010-12-21, 03:30 PM
You are right.
It was bound to happen, sooner or later! :smallbiggrin:

Bakkan
2010-12-21, 03:45 PM
As soon as possible, pick up a Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook). It holds ten times as much as a normal spellbook and eliminates the cost of scribing spells into it. The book pays for itself once you've scribed 125 spell levels into it, and if you fill it up, you will have paid 1/8 of the normal scribing costs.

NX_Phoenix
2010-12-29, 04:39 PM
As soon as possible, pick up a Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook). It holds ten times as much as a normal spellbook and eliminates the cost of scribing spells into it. The book pays for itself once you've scribed 125 spell levels into it, and if you fill it up, you will have paid 1/8 of the normal scribing costs.

For something more in your price range and if your DM doesn't mind things a bit setting specific try Aureon's Spellshard. It can hold 500 pages, has no cost for scribing spells, has the same cost/page ratio as the Blessed Book, and looks cool to boot. Eberron Campaign Setting 265.

EDIT: Correction: technically scribing into a conventional spellshard requires casting arcane mark. A kind DM may allow you to substitute some other similar spell or wave the requirement. If not, an eternal wand of arcane mark or custom magic item of arcane mark 1/day could be used instead.