PDA

View Full Version : Building a Scorcherer

mootoall
2010-12-20, 07:32 PM
So, I'm looking to play a sorcerer blaster. Yes, I know blasting's not optimal, blah blah blah, I know the ropes. But here's the catch ... despite being weak to the max, I'm looking at a primarily fire-based caster. Because burning things is also cool. I'm familiar with the Mailman build, and Searing Spell, but can someone give me the best fire-based spells out there?

Thanks in advance, Playground!

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-12-20, 07:36 PM
I won't be much help, but you might find this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10141.0) interesting.

Khatoblepas
2010-12-20, 07:46 PM
I came up with a couple of things to buff fire blasters a while back:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153832

Every spell becomes a good fire blasty spell with free metamagic on it!

SurlySeraph
2010-12-20, 09:06 PM
There's the Bloodline of Fire feat for +2 to CLs of fire spells, and +4 to saves vs fire effects.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-20, 09:13 PM
There's always Frank and K's Fire Mage (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fire_Mage_%283.5e_Class%29) class. The Fire Mage works very well in a gestalt game, but you may prefer a Fire based Sorcerer in a normal game.

Energy Substitution could be useful as a feat to turn all sorts of evocation spells into Fire spells. Also, that fire bloodline feat that's already been mentioned would be extremely useful.

Evocation spells can be useful for battlefield control if you pick the right spells and don't completely focus on damage.

dextercorvia
2010-12-20, 10:22 PM
Scorching Ray is a nice seed spell. Combust is good (but it requires a touch attack). Orb of Fire is nice, and the rider is great, too. There are several reserve feats that boost CL by 1. Arcane Thesis your favorites for a +2 CL boost, and you will be able to add Searing for free. Spell Thematics lets you pick one spell per level to give a CL boost to. The Spellgifted trait gets you +1 CL in one school of magic at a cost of -1 to the rest. This can be offset by playing an Illumian with the Krau sigil for a +1 CL to the max of your character level.

Edit: Spell Thematics also lets you refluff all of your spells to a Theme which means even your Teleports can be fire spells even if they are not [Fire] spells.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-20, 10:24 PM
IIRC, there's also a couple of feats that allow you to ignore fire resistance and even do half damage to fire-immune targets.

Of course, there's always Hellfire Warlock if you just want to blast with tons of d6's of fire damage that nothing can stop...

JaronK
2010-12-20, 10:42 PM
For those situations where you don't want to use fire, Wings of Flurry from Races of the Dragon is the spell that makes Sorcerer blasters good. 1d6/level damage, dazes enemies on a failed save, hits enemies only within 30'. Pretty awesome.

JaronK

Ilmryn
2010-12-20, 10:48 PM
There is always Elemental Savant, but I don't know how good it is OP-wise. For a fire-blaster, it seems the obvious choice.

Kosjsjach
2010-12-20, 11:44 PM
I've wanted to play in a lvl 1 game as a human sorcerer (or wizard) with Precocious Apprentice (scorching ray) and the Fiery Burst reserve feat.

They'd use charm person liberally, and anyone who didn't succumb would be roasted. 2d6 in a 5-foot radius is good damage at level 1. :smallamused:

Fizban
2010-12-21, 12:00 AM
Actual Fire:
Lesser Orb of Fire
Scorching Ray
Fireball (long range)
Orb of Fire
Channeled Pyroburst (variable casting time)
Blast of Flame (if you really, really need no SR area)
Firebrand (extremely shapeable)
Scalding Touch (Magic of Eberron, multiple 13d6 touches)

Spells you want to make into Fire:
Hailstones (scales up to 20d6 for a 3rd level slot)
Moonbow (effective 1.5d6/level)
Ball Lightning (1d6/level per round))
Storm Touch (lower level than Scalding touch)

If you've read the Mailman then I don't need to list Arcane Fusion and metamagic reduction. If you absolutely must use fire damage, you can do Energy Substitution feat or dip Elemental Savant. Either way, you should still probably pack one or two untyped spells in case you don't want to metamagic for some reason.