PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Master of Many Forms

Goonthegoof
2010-12-20, 09:34 PM
I have a 19HD character with 10 levels of MoMF and I have a couple of points of confusion. I get the extraordinary special qualities, special attacks and (thanks to assume supernatural ability) supernatural special attacks of anything I turn into. If I turn into, say, a pit fiend, do I get the damage reduction, the spell resistance and the immunities? It doesn't say if they're supernatural or extraordinary.

Also does anyone know of any gargantuan creatures of 19HD or less that can wield weapons? Or ones that threaten large areas?

Prime32
2010-12-20, 09:50 PM
I have a 19HD character with 10 levels of MoMF and I have a couple of points of confusion. I get the extraordinary special qualities, special attacks and (thanks to assume supernatural ability) supernatural special attacks of anything I turn into. If I turn into, say, a pit fiend, do I get the damage reduction, the spell resistance and the immunities? It doesn't say if they're supernatural or extraordinary.DR/slashing, DR/-, etc. are Ex. DR/magic, DR/good, etc. are Su.

Spell Resistance is Ex. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellResistance)

Immunities are probably Ex.

Goonthegoof
2010-12-20, 09:52 PM
So if it's DR 15/good and silver does only the silver part apply or do I not get it at all?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-20, 10:36 PM
Hydras are always a lot of fun for damage output. A twelve-headed Cryohydra is a lot of fun.

You could also get a Young Adult Blue Dragon. Frightful Presence is a lot of fun, and immunity to electricity is a lot of fun.

Shambling Mound + Energy Substitution (lightning) Persistant Cold Snap is lulzworthy.

Your problem is that most 'bruiser' monsters tend to have a LOT of HD to make up for the fact that a party can dish out a lot of damage.

Goonthegoof
2010-12-20, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that one. A thought occurs, do feats count as extraordinary abilities? Do I get the creature's feats if I turn into it?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-20, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that one. A thought occurs, do feats count as extraordinary abilities? Do I get the creature's feats if I turn into it?

Only racial bonus feats.

However, there *IS* an exploit here...

Ogre Mage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogreMage.htm) has a very exploitable ability called Change Shape. The reason it is exploitable is because there is no HD cap on it. And, because of the abilities of MoMF, you get all the SU abilities of the forms assumed.

Also, Storm Giants are 19HD, and have some fun toys to play with. Let's not abuse Barghest, please.

Pit Fiends are only 18HD. Fear Aura, save or die poison, and some nasty SLA's.

dspeyer
2010-12-20, 10:53 PM
A Storm Giant with a scroll of Righteous Might?

If you can do outsiders, there's the Astral Dreadnought (it looks capable of holding a weapon in the canonical artwork to me). If you're willing to compromise on manufactured weapons, there's the Ibranlin (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/mainlist2.pl?Ibranlin|I|Dragon) with a bite and four claws (double-check that one, realmshelp isn't always accurate). If all else fails, there's always the purple worm.

For more options, see my sig.

dspeyer
2010-12-20, 10:56 PM
Ogre Mage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogreMage.htm) has a very exploitable ability called Change Shape. The reason it is exploitable is because there is no HD cap on it. And, because of the abilities of MoMF, you get all the SU abilities of the forms assumed.

Assume Supernatural Ability is on borderline DM sufferance at the best of times. Don't try this.

Goonthegoof
2010-12-20, 11:09 PM
Holy crap Dspeyer that search site is awesome.

*.*.*.*
2010-12-21, 01:34 AM
If you can do outsiders

MoMF cant assume outsiders

Also: take a look at this: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules

Dr Bwaa
2010-12-21, 03:45 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules

I'm seconding this, because it includes almost everything you could ever need to know about MoMF.

Also, iirc, Assume Supernatural Ability is like Divine Metamagic or Weapon Focus: you have to choose what supernatural ability it applies to (so you could choose "Breath Weapon" and get the supernatural breath weapons of your forms, or "Eye Ray" and get one wildly specific ability when you become a Beholder). I don't believe (could be wrong; haven't played an MoMF in a while) that ASA gives you all supernatural abilities of anything you wildshape into.

TehLivingDeath
2010-12-21, 05:34 AM
I'm seconding this, because it includes almost everything you could ever need to know about MoMF.

Also, iirc, Assume Supernatural Ability is like Divine Metamagic or Weapon Focus: you have to choose what supernatural ability it applies to (so you could choose "Breath Weapon" and get the supernatural breath weapons of your forms, or "Eye Ray" and get one wildly specific ability when you become a Beholder). I don't believe (could be wrong; haven't played an MoMF in a while) that ASA gives you all supernatural abilities of anything you wildshape into.

You're correct. Two levels of Chameleon are the only way to bypass that, and even then you can only change it once per day. It's a tough trade off considering you lose two levels of Wildshape progression.

TS, you're looking for dusk giant. 48 str, Huge and can wield weapons. 18 HD.

Prime32
2010-12-21, 06:19 AM
So if it's DR 15/good and silver does only the silver part apply or do I not get it at all?DR 15/good and silver is the same thing as having both DR 15/good and DR 15/silver. So you get the silver half.

Togo
2010-12-21, 08:11 AM
Simple answer: no, I don't know of any.

Manufactured weapons probably aren't the MoMFs strongest suit.

If you do want to go that route, try using a club that's one size too big for you (and thus -2 to hit), turning into something huge, and casting shilleigh.

If you want to cover area at the front of the party, think laterally. Get the party to stand on a platform and turn into a tree (or treant) for an instant treehouse.

Honestly, though, I've found this class' ex abilities to be far superior to trying to use it to damage. Defensively they're the best class in the game. Offensively, they're game breakers with combat manouvres and ex abilities. Doing damage they just can't hold their own at high level. But then, if you can turn into a 19HD carrion crawler, who needs to do damage.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-21, 09:38 AM
are there any MoMF options that would work well against undead? Especially nasty undead like dracoliches, nightcrawlers, and such?

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 10:08 AM
I personally like the Steelwing (15 HD) from the Monster Manual 5. It has a lot of really cool attacks and it can fly. You can turn into a 19 HD version, thus making it more powerful.

Also, ask your DM if you are allowed to turn into monsters with templates.

Then you could turn into a Paragon Cryo Hydra. Fun times.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 10:50 AM
Here are a few other forms that have some interesting abilities.

Monster Manual 2
Flesh Jelly
Ormyrr
Tauric Creatures
Chimeric Creatures

Monster Manual 3
Arcane Ooze
Cinder Swarm
Mountain Troll

Monster Manual 4
Corrupture
Craa'ghoran Giant
Inferno Spider

nyarlathotep
2010-12-21, 11:11 AM
I personally like the Steelwing (15 HD) from the Monster Manual 5. It has a lot of really cool attacks and it can fly. You can turn into a 19 HD version, thus making it more powerful.

Also, ask your DM if you are allowed to turn into monsters with templates.

Then you could turn into a Paragon Cryo Hydra. Fun times.

Sadly you cannot assume the form of any templated creature with any polymorph effect so paragon anything isn't allowed.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 12:03 PM
Sadly you cannot assume the form of any templated creature with any polymorph effect so paragon anything isn't allowed.

I've always found this to be a little strange.

In a D&D game we fought a Tauric creature (technically that's a template) and our Druid/Master of Many Forms could not turn into this creature? Why?

I have an Effigy Master and I will be making effigys. Now I must add the Effigy template to a creature, so I think I should be able to add any other template as long as it still fullfills the requirements of the effigy creature.

Havelock
2010-12-21, 12:09 PM
I think the main reason is that Templates generally does not add HD, while the limit to polymorph etc is based on HD, so by adding Templates, you are changing into something more powerful than you otherwise could.