PDA

View Full Version : Hackin' sum Pokeymanz: A.K.A. A Project of Mine That's of Interest to No One :V

FantasyFoxMan
2010-12-20, 09:56 PM
...However, unlike any other projects I've had in the past (that haven't been discussed here since I haven't been here that long), I haven't been procrastinating on this one and I haven't pushed this project aside, but instead have been diligently picking away at it from time to time! Huzzah! :smalltongue:

But yes, as many others have done before, I have begun hacking sum Pokey-manz. Using a rom of Pokémon Ruby as a base, I've begun to edit the entire dex to replace the current Pokes with completely new Pokes. Needless to say, I've found myself in a bit of a rut on finding a sprite artist to help me out, as my art skill is horrible. But no matter! I'll complain later. Instead, I'll bring to you what else I've done so far:

-Edited existing moves. (Edited Mud and Water Sport, Fissure, Sheer Cold, Haze, Morning Sun, Dragon Rage, Sonicboom, Frustration, Flash, Strength, and several others)
-Out of the 386 Pokes in the dex, I've edited (insert number here) of them so far, changing their names, type arrangements, abilities, base stats, movesets, and descriptions
-Changed the majority of the obtainable TM list
-Have not edited maps yet (alongside from editing the Wild Pokemon encounters in 3 routes)

So as you can tell, I haven't done much by a long shot, but as far as I'm concerned it's an accomplishment. :smallcool: I'd love to say, "oh hay Christmas Alpha for all y'all" but I'm nowhere near close to a Christmas Alpha. There's still plenty of things I need to get done. Like I said before, I still have to find myself a sprite artist/someone to help design Pokémon. I know I've got 1 person on board (someone I know who was interested in the hack), and one person who I haven't heard back from. Of course, help is always appreciated :3

Oh, before I forget, here's my fragment of a beginning storyline. Possible generic-ness away!

Your character starts out as a foreign exchange student from Kanto, transferred to a Pokémon Trainer's School in the region of (insert name of region here because I can't remember what I was going to name it). You're introduced to two specific students in the school, those of which will be your two respective rivals. The first one is a fellow "honor student" and booksmart kid (name withheld), who becomes fast friends with your character. The other student you'll meet is (name withheld), who is a big, hulk of a student, a snobbish prick, and an overall bully and troublemaker. The only real reason why he's even IN this school is because his father (the Big Bad of this game, but you won't know that until later even though I just told you now :V) pays handsomely for his tuition. However, that doesn't stop (name withheld) from sneaking into the headmaster's office (your Professor of the game) and taking one of his new Pokémon (which were supposed to be for the graduating honor students, one of which is you). Your character sees this and attempts to stop (name withheld) from stealing one of the Pokémon, of which he picks the Pokémon of the element stronger than yours. (in this case you choose a starter Pokémon from the briefcase). A battle ensues. Regardless of who wins or loses, the headmaster barges into the office and reprimands (name withheld) for attempting to steal one of the Pokémon that was not meant to be his. (name withheld) is expelled and storms out of the school, taking the Pokémon with him. Your new friend (name withheld), on the other hand, is given the Pokémon that is of the element weak to your starter. Whoever was supposed to get the Pokémon (name withheld) stole is out of luck, it seems. Finally, months later at graduation day, all of the students are released from the school and sent back to their respective towns to start their journeys. Your house (and conveniently your friend's house) are in the same town, and you both get a head start from there- that is, after seeing your parents again after months of absence.

So far, I've speculated that there will at least be a good chunk of Pokémon in the "National" Dex of this hack that will be of 4th and 5th Gen. For starters, what was once the Johto starters are now Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott (complete with evolutions. And like with my new starters, these Starter Pokes also get new abilities- particularly their Dream World abilities... except for Snivy, of course. He gets Shed Skin instead.). Pokemon that have been added so far can be read about in the spoiler below:
Gen IV Pokes:
Starly+Staravia+Staraptor: Currently working on Staraptor's sprites, cries not implemented
Shellos+Gastrodon(West Sea design): Everything done except sprite and cry
Buizel+Floatzel: Everything done except cry
Drifloon+Drifblim: Everything done except sprite and cry
Bonsly+Mime Jr.: Everything done except description (for Bonsly), sprite and cry
Cranidos+Rampardos: Everything done except sprite and cry
Snover+Abomasnow: Everything done except sprite and cry
Hippopotas+Hippowdon: Everything done except sprite and cry
Croagunk+Toxicroak: Everything done except sprite and cry
Skorupi+Drapion: Everything done except movesets, descriptions, sprites and cry

Gen V Pokes:
Snivy+Servine+Serperior: Everything done except sprite and cry
Tepig+Pignite+Emboar: Everything done except sprite and cry
Oshawott+Dewott+Samurott: Everything done but sprite and cry
Lillipup+Herdier+Stoutland: Everything done but sprite and cry
Munna+Musharna: Everything done except sprite and cry
Sandile+Krokorok+Krookodile: Everything done except cry
Stunfisk: Everything done except sprite and cry
Joltik+Galvantula: Everything done except sprite and cry
Sigilyph: Everything done except sprite and cry
Archen+Archeops: Everything done except sprite and cry
Trubbish+Garbodor: Everything done except cry
Rufflet+Braviary: Everything done except sprite and cry
Foongus+Amoonguss: Everything done except cry

And here's a current list of how many "fake"mons I've put into this hack, and their replacements!
Sleed/Planton/Flowadon-Replacing Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur
Chimchilla/Lavaron/Magmadillo-Replacing Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard
Croakun/Toadrogon/Miasmogg-Replacing Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise
Bombyx/Chawkibom/Silkbomba-Replacing Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree
Mezcal/Mescalin/Mesmaguay-Replacing Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill
Chiron/Quailon/Quawken- Replacing Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot
Angoris/Lagolope/Lagorex-Replacing Ratatta/Torchic/Combusken
Angoring/Woolora-Replacing Sandshrew/Sandslash
Lagolas/Silverlop-Replacing Raticate/Spearow
Shockulon-Replacing Fearow
Ukkimon/Monkichi/Sarumon-Replacing Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu
Weedlet/Kindloom/Blastgrass-Replacing Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume
Plantle/Islasaur-Replacing Venonat/Venomoth
Pincon/Fircon-Replacing Diglett/Dugtrio
Yetice/Abominice-Replacing Mankey/Primape
Lantun/Litegeist/Incinder-Replacing Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
Psido/Psionide/Psibekon-Replacing Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel
Cragon/Stongon/Gaiagon-Replacing Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Pincion/Veneedle-Replacing Ponyta/Rapidash
Gloop/Mushman/Molclay-Replacing Slowpoke/Slowbrow/Slowking
Blipple/Cratagion-Replacing Grimer/Muk
Smogmon/Toxibon-Replacing Koffing/Weezing
Antuego/Blazenant-Replacing Tangela/Kangaskhan
Meltrin/Barillon-Replacing Spinarak/Ariados
Voltzard/Lumigila-Replacing Chinchou/Lanturn
Chippin/Choprin/Emperice-Replacing Azurill/Marill/Azumarill
Chickster/Albatoss-Replacing Phanpy/Donphan
Gushield-Replacing Linoone

Now, that's not saying there won't be Pokémon from the other Gens, too. In fact, I have a specific list of Pokes that I know I'm keeping so far, which can be viewed in this particular spoiler:
Meowth, Persian, Magikarp, Gyarados, Heracross, Sudowoodo, Mr. Mime, Skitty, Delcatty, Gulpin, Swalot, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo, Nincada, Ninjask, Shedinja, Wailmer, Wailord, Absol, Torkoal, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, and others, I'll update this list as it goes along.

EifieFlare
2010-12-20, 10:13 PM
...However, unlike any other projects I've had in the past (that haven't been discussed here since I haven't been here that long), I haven't been procrastinating on this one and I haven't pushed this project aside, but instead have been diligently picking away at it from time to time! Huzzah!

But yes, as many others have done before, I have begun hacking sum Pokey-manz. Using a rom of Pokémon Ruby as a base, I've begun to edit the entire dex to replace the current Pokes with completely new Pokes. Needless to say, I've found myself in a bit of a rut on finding a sprite artist to help me out, as my art skill is horrible. But no matter! I'll complain later. Instead, I'll bring to you what else I've done so far:

-Edited existing moves. (Edited Mud and Water Sport, Fissure, Sheer Cold, Haze, Morning Sun, Dragon Rage, Sonicboom, Frustration, Flash, Strength, and several others)
-Out of the 386 Pokes in the dex, I've edited at least 54 of them so far, changing their names, type arrangements, abilities, base stats, movesets, and descriptions
-Changed the majority of the obtainable TM list
-Have not edited maps yet (alongside from editing the Wild Pokemon encounters in 3 routes)

So as you can tell, I haven't done much by a long shot, but as far as I'm concerned it's an accomplishment. :smallcool: I'd love to say, "oh hay Christmas Alpha for all y'all" but I'm nowhere near close to a Christmas Alpha. There's still plenty of things I need to get done. Like I said before, I still have to find myself a sprite artist/someone to help design Pokémon. I know I've got 1 person on board (someone I know who was interested in the hack), and one person who I haven't heard back from. Of course, help is always appreciated :3

Oh, before I forget, here's my fragment of a beginning storyline. Possible generic-ness away!

Your character starts out as a foreign exchange student from Kanto, transferred to a Pokémon Trainer's School in the region of (insert name of region here because I can't remember what I was going to name it). You're introduced to two specific students in the school, those of which will be your two respective rivals. The first one is a fellow "honor student" and booksmart kid (name withheld), who becomes fast friends with your character. The other student you'll meet is (name withheld), who is a big, hulk of a student, a snobbish prick, and an overall bully and troublemaker. The only real reason why he's even IN this school is because his father (the Big Bad of this game, but you won't know that until later even though I just told you now :V) pays handsomely for his tuition. However, that doesn't stop (name withheld) from sneaking into the headmaster's office (your Professor of the game) and taking one of his new Pokémon (which were supposed to be for the graduating honor students, one of which is you). Your character sees this and attempts to stop (name withheld) from stealing one of the Pokémon, of which he picks the Pokémon of the element stronger than yours. (in this case you choose a starter Pokémon from the briefcase). A battle ensues. Regardless of who wins or loses, the headmaster barges into the office and reprimands (name withheld) for attempting to steal one of the Pokémon that was not meant to be his. (name withheld) is expelled and storms out of the school, taking the Pokémon with him. Your new friend (name withheld), on the other hand, is given the Pokémon that is of the element weak to your starter. Whoever was supposed to get the Pokémon (name withheld) stole is out of luck, it seems. Finally, months later at graduation day, all of the students are released from the school and sent back to their respective towns to start their journeys. Your house (and conveniently your friend's house) are in the same town, and you both get a head start from there- that is, after seeing your parents again after months of absence.

I'll be posting the stuff I've actually edited in more detail in future posts. In the meantime, thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Lemme know.

I think it's a pretty neat introductory story (although that one spoiler...). I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I would help if I could, but seeing as I know next to nothing about making ROM-hacks, I'd probably be rather useless. :smallsigh: I might be able to help with things that aren't programming though, if you need it.

It sounds like you're changing a lot of stuff most people consider useless in terms of moves; what are you replacing the original slots with (might I suggest 4th Gen. moves if you want to keep things simple)? And are you going to be replacing or changing "aesthetic" things like buildings? As funny as it may be, I can't see an entire school fitting in the one-floor Lab in Littleroot. :smalltongue:

Finally, do you plan on releasing this to the public? You never know, someone might even plan on doing an LP of it or something.

FantasyFoxMan
2010-12-20, 11:44 PM
Well, the way I see it, the school itself isn't actually going to take place in Littleroot (or rather, the town that replaces it), but is maybe a few towns over (like, say a replacement Rustboro or something). And while you can't add any new moves (without extensive hacking knowledge, that is), you can edit existing moves to work like 4th Gen/5th Gen moves do, or edit them how you please. For example, I took the once-useless (for the most part) Water and Mud Sports and turned them into Gen V-esque Boiling Water (complete with burn) and a better version of Mud-Slap (Now called Mud Shower, with 50 Base Power. Oh hay, that rhymed). In addition, Dragon Rage and Sonicboom, which once did 40 and 20 set damage, now both do completely different things. Dragon Rage has now been changed to Dragon Pulse (totally unrelated from Gen 4's, by the way), which has a 65 base power and always hits twice. Sonicboom is now a Bug-type 70 Base Power move with a 30% chance of flinching. Sheer Cold and Fissure now work like Hyper Beam- both high-power moves with the user having to rest afterwards. Haze has been changed and is now Black Mist, which works like Ancientpower, only it's Dark instead of Rock. I've edited plenty of other moves, too, as I've already stated. :3

As for aesthetic changes, I'm not entirely sure yet what I want to do with it. Since I haven't even gotten around to map editing, I don't really know where to go with it. I know there's going to be hot and cold areas in this new region (standard stuff with Pokémon hacks nowadays :V), and I'm hoping I can at least implement the underwater aspects too- just in different places now. I also know I've gotta unearth the sketch map I created for the region- I just can't remember where it is. :smalltongue:

And finally, yes, of course I plan on this being released publicly.

Mando Knight
2010-12-21, 12:08 AM
which has a 65 base power and always hits twice.

I hope you realize that this is strictly better than a 130-power move. (Better by only just so, but still better)

Vorpal word
2010-12-21, 01:46 AM
Sounds awesome, storyline sounds somewhere in between Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Black/White. Keep me updated on this, I would love to try it out!

Also, to clarify on making new moves: Is it possible to change the physical/special aspect of a move, or is it still limited by the type no matter what you do with it?

Also, if you're going to change Haze, make something else to replace it. Say what you will, but I find that move rather useful. Other moves that SHOULD be changed or removed, on the other hand:

- Fire Spin: Actually make it awesome, like it's supposed to be. If it's a flaming tornado, it shouldn't be dealing microns of damage, it should KILL THEM WITH FIRE!
- Horn Drill & Guillotine: I'm assuming you don't want more Hyper Beams...I dunno, making moves that work only with luck or cheap combos is dumb. Probably replace them with something completely different.
- Doubleslap: Seriously, if they call it that, why does it hit 5 times? And deal no damage anyway?
- Mega Drain: It's redundant, so get rid of it and make Giga Drain stronger. Something like 80 Power sounds usable...
- Memento: Why suicide to lower attack when you could just kill them?
- Muddy Water: Swampert deserves a better exclusive move than this! It's just a copy of Surf with an accuracy trade-off for a mostly useless side effect.
- All those moves that should be physical/special but aren't: If possible, deal with it.
- Uproar: AHH! NOOOO! MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP!
- Charge: Needs a fix. Really.
- Stockpile, Spit Up, and Swallow: Just, uh...just don't.

FantasyFoxMan
2010-12-21, 02:10 AM
...Whoops. Didn't think about that. :I Fixed it right now. It no longer hits twice, but instead has a 35% chance of lowering the Foe's Sp.Defense stat.

Anyway, I think I should get around to discussing the starter Pokemon I've got in mind. I won't be using the Hoenn Starters this time around, but instead going with Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle since I'm going to be editing most of the full Pokédex. I've also decided to remove the whole Overgrow-Blaze-Torrent abilities from them and give them abilities that are (relatively) useful.

Bulbasaur goes from being a "seed" Pokémon (and then into a flower-toad-thing with lesser-known meme status) into... a SEED. (I know, the most surprising thing ever.) To be specific, a nocturnal seed Pokémon that sleeps during the day. (Type: Pure Grass, Ability: Effect Spore) It then evolves into a treant-fighter which, upon final evolution, will rip off one of its own limbs and use it as a bo staff-like weapon. The limbs grow back, of course. (Type: Grass/Fighting, Ability: Insomnia) This Pokemon is more of a speedy Attacker than a Special Attacker, sporting some nice STAB moves to go with it.

Charmander goes from adorable fire-lizard into adorable fiery chinchilla. Or, a mixture of rodent-like creatures, but mostly chinchilla. (Type: Pure Fire, Ability: Flame Body) Upon final evolution, it grows larger, and turns into more of a magma-resistant armadillo, becoming a bulky Special Defensive tank, with a fairly fiery moveset, with the big downside of having a 4X weakness to Water. (Type: Fire/Ground, Ability: Flame Body)

Squirtle ended up being the favorite for me to edit. Going from turtle to frog (Type: Pure Water, Ability: Own Tempo), with later evolutions being a rather large, poisonous frog (Type: Water/Poison, Ability: Liquid Ooze), this change turns the Pokemon into a mixed attacker. With a nice range of Physical and Special moves (after all, Poison still counts as a Physical type in this game), plus an HP stat that's higher than the rest of its stats (a whopping 120), this Pokemon should hopefully be a fine pick for a starter.

Eldonauran
2010-12-22, 07:24 PM
Aww, times like this I wish I had put more effort in learning to hax teh pokmanz. :smallfrown:

Let me know if you need a playtester. I can do that much, at least.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-12-25, 04:58 AM
This sounds pretty cool, I hope you can get this finished. I like your different storyline idea. Do you plan to do a more detailed story later in, rather than just get all badges, defeat elite four, beat team X? I like your type combos on the starters, especially the sounds of the fire one.

LordShotGun
2010-12-26, 10:06 AM
This...is rather intresting. But please give the starters some kinda useful abilities simply because they will be used throughout the game. Flame body is good, but insomnia and liquid ooze are very meh abilites. (not terrible abilities but effect spore is WAY better then insomnia)

EifieFlare
2010-12-26, 11:43 AM
This...is rather intresting. But please give the starters some kinda useful abilities simply because they will be used throughout the game. Flame body is good, but insomnia and liquid ooze are very meh abilites. (not terrible abilities but effect spore is WAY better then insomnia)

I dunno about you, but I think having immunity to Sleep is a much better ability than randomly causing a status effect with a certain success rate. It gets rid of all of the pesky hax caused by Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, etc. But yeah, Liquid Ooze is a bit meh; there just aren't enough draining moves to make it worthwhile. Then again, I didn't think the starters' original abilities weren't all that useful either (you can one-shot pretty much everything if you just stick to your starter, and even otherwise it's pretty easy to not get that low on HP), so either way these are a step up.

FantasyFoxMan
2010-12-29, 06:09 PM
I dunno about you, but I think having immunity to Sleep is a much better ability than randomly causing a status effect with a certain success rate. It gets rid of all of the pesky hax caused by Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, etc. But yeah, Liquid Ooze is a bit meh; there just aren't enough draining moves to make it worthwhile. Then again, I didn't think the starters' original abilities weren't all that useful either (you can one-shot pretty much everything if you just stick to your starter, and even otherwise it's pretty easy to not get that low on HP), so either way these are a step up.

Plus Insomnia fits the Pokémon itself, as it doesn't sleep. :smalltongue: Anything else would just seem out of place. And, while Liquid Ooze is a bit meh, (I'm considering replacing with Poison Point, it helps with the Poison dual-type) it's certainly better than using Torrent. Never really liked those moves anyway. In addition to that, I tried to give the Starters new abilities to make them more alike with the other Pokes in this hack. That way you can't just one-shot with one, but be able to balance out your team fully (of course, you can do that in most other Pokemon games, too- both normal or hack. :V)

So, thoughts? Should I replace the current with Poison Point, or leave it as is?

I'll also mention that I ran a few tests with what I've edited currently, and under normal leveling conditions with random natures (I picked them up from the wild, so it's usually gonna be random regardless), their stats rounded themselves out pretty nicely. Nothing seems too overpowered for now.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-03, 05:48 AM
Update time, and this is just something I'd like to note: A lot of hacks these days have been... going the extra mile, per se, and adding Pokémon from the Fourth and Fifth Gen into their hacks-sprite, cry and all. I, for one, think that is an extremely awesome idea. And of course, because of this I plan to do the same, and already have been. :3

I've been working on these for the past few days now, and so far I've gotten a lot of what I want done so far, and I'm rather pleased with the result. :smallbiggrin: I still have yet to dive into sprite editing, but hopefully that'll be fun... ehh. :I

EDIT: Moved the majority of this post to the first post.

Qwertystop
2011-01-03, 10:56 AM
I've always wondered what a Physical Deoxys, a Special one, an HP one, or an Accuracy (probably by an ability) one would be like. Also, check my sig for what I believe to be the best Pokemon Fangame. You might look there for some inspiration or advice. There was another idea I had, but I cannot think right now what it was.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-04, 04:25 PM
Looks like it's done using the RPG Maker XP Pokemon engine. Not that that's a problem or anything, it just seems pretty obvious. :smalltongue:

Also: I hate hex editors. That is all.

Qwertystop
2011-01-04, 04:33 PM
Looks like it's done using the RPG Maker XP Pokemon engine. Not that that's a problem or anything, it just seems pretty obvious. :smalltongue:

Also: I hate hex editors. That is all.

My suggestion of checking Acanthite was for inspiration, not a way to make it. Also for publicity. (I can't wait for them to finish)

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-05, 12:51 AM
Oh, I know. I was just pointing out that I HATE hex editors for a reason.

And that reason would be editing cries! You see, I'm learning how to edit the cries of Pokemon right now to replace them with other cries (specifically Gen IV and V ones) and it's not going too well. I'm supposed to take one chain of numbers and letters and find the "reverse" version of it, except the hex editor I'm using can't find them. So it ends up being very confusing.

Vorpal word
2011-01-05, 05:27 PM
Would the game work if you just put in MP3's of cries instead? I'm sure you can download them somewhere...

Qwertystop
2011-01-05, 06:22 PM
Good idea, how about making an MP3 of the cry you want, and then converting it to hexadecimal? I'm sure theres a program to do that somewhere!

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-05, 10:31 PM
MP3's won't work, sadly. You need to put them in a .wav format, set to 11025 Hz (conveniently enough, the same format I used to use for micspams when my Steam account wasn't disabled. It wasn't for micspamming, I just got hijacked. :smallannoyed:)

Vorpal word
2011-01-06, 04:47 PM
So maybe convert mp3 to wav, then wav to hex...or would that be just as incomprehensible as normal?

There are programs for both, I'm pretty sure...

Qwertystop
2011-01-06, 05:41 PM
Maybe I should have said, I didn't mean it had to be MP3, I just meant "make it in another format, then convert to hexadecimal".

Vorpal word
2011-01-06, 10:26 PM
Yeah same, I've just seen a lot of mp3 to <insert file type here> converters recently...

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-06, 11:49 PM
Ah, I'm sorry. Now I understand what you guys meant. If that's the case, I have Audacity to help me turn an MP3 into a WAV file that can be converted to hex. However, I'm not going to worry about cries right now, I'll fix those later.

Instead, allow me to present to you all the fruits of my labor: I have successfully edited my first sprite, palette and all! :smallbiggrin:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/PokemonHackTest.png

Now, I know this isn't a huge deal, but I'm very proud of myself right now, as I decided to make the first sprite I put into the game Snivy's, and after a good hour of tinkering with various programs and such, I finally managed to get it right. I tested it out in VBA, and it works fine.

Now to finish the rest of Snivy's evolutionary line, and then I'll work on the other Gen IV/V Pokemon I've added in so far. :V

Vorpal word
2011-01-07, 10:44 PM
Sweeeeet...while you're at it, why not make up a few of your own? We can help... :smallbiggrin:

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-09, 01:43 AM
You know, it's funny- I've spent several of my posts so far explaining the Fourth and Fifth Gen Pokemon I have plans to add into this game, but I never even bothered to explain what Pokemon I myself have created! How silly of me. Forgive my ignorance, ladies and gentleman. :smalltongue:

Well, let's start with some of the basic Pokemon you can find around the start of the game. I'll cover some of the other Pokemon available as I go along. To begin, we get our standard bird-Pokemon-that-you-can-find-most-anywhere: Chiron (replacing Pidgey, Normal/Flying type-Steel/Flying upon final evolution). This small bird ends up being a slight cross between a quail and a hawk. Starting off with Keen Eye, along with its secondary evolution, the bird gets Intimidate upon reaching its final form. With and unbending will and a strict code of honor, this Pokemon bravely stands up to injustice with a cool head and a steady... wing. In addition, I've proceeded to make Caterpie and Weedle, along with their proceeding evolutions, not suck (in my personal opinion.) Caterpie's evo line is now based on the silkworm and silk moth (Bombyx, pure Bug, Bug/Flying on final evo, Shed Skin/Shield Dust, with Speed Boost upon final evolution), while Weedle's evo line is based on the tequila worm. (Mezcal, Bug/Poison, Own Tempo) Yes, there is now a drunk Pokemon. I did go there. :V Both have movesets that focus on attacking and annoying opponents at the same time. (For example, Bombyx and its evolution have moves such as Spore and Roar, while Mezcal and its evolutions have moves like Swagger and Teeter Dance. Actually, quite a few of its moves center around confusion, and you can probably guess why. :V)

Rattata gets a makeover as well. Replacing the mouse/rat/general annoyance in the top percentage of its kind is now Angoris, a small, bipedal, rabbit-like Pokemon that works in an interesting way. At Level 30, it has a chance to evolve into one of three Pokemon (much like Tyrogue, it works the same way.) If the Attack stat is higher than the Defense stat, Angoris evolves into Lagolope, and then into Lagorex. (replacing Torchic and Combusken, Normal/Fighting types, Immunity or Limber) These speedy Pokemon have a purely offensive movepool, sporting some relatively good STAB Normal and Fighting moves. If the Defense stat is higher than the Attack stat, Angoris evolves into Lagolas, and then into Silverlop. (replacing Raticate and Spearow, Normal/Rock type, then Rock/Steel upon final Evo, Sturdy or Rock Head) These Pokemon are the polar opposite of Lagolope and Lagorex, in that their movepools are focused on a sturdy defense and being able to hit harder when their HP is lower (with some nice stab Steel moves to go with it). If the Attack and the Defense stat are equal, Angoris evolves into Angoring, and then into Woolora. (replacing Sandshrew and Sandslash, Normal/Ground, Early Bird or Guts) These Pokemon are excellent survivalists, with balanced stats and a variety of Ground-type moves at their disposal.

In addition to those, we've also got the Grass/Ground typed Pincon. (replacing Diglett, Oblivious or Sturdy) Aptly named because it's... well, a pinecone that hangs from trees, then falls off and grows on land, this balanced attacker evolves into a giant, walking pine tree upon evolution (Fircon, replacing Dugtrio, Grass/Ground, Oblivious or Sturdy), but these two are sadly lacking in the Sp.Attack movepool, with their only STAB attack in the Grass department being Morning Sun. Also notable is the Grass/Water typed Plantle and Islasaur (replacing Venonat and Venomoth, Water Absorb or Rain Dish), a seaside lizard with a palm tree growing on its back that has a moveset more appropriate for its typing and abilities. Finally, the last Pokemon I'll note in this post is the Psychic/Flying typed Psido (replacing Bellsprout, Oblivious or Cloud Nine). Another mixed attacker of sorts, this Pokemon starts out looking seemingly stupid and dim-witted (a guise it uses to lure in unsuspecting predators), then evolves further into a peacock-type creature with a colorful plumage of tail feathers that is both beautiful and dangerous.

The ideas have so far stayed in my head (and on my computer) but have not, sadly, been processed on paper. The one exception, on the other hand, is Psido, as the design came to me (and this is going to sound really stupid, so bear with me) from a dream I had a long time ago (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/someoftheretardedthingsthatappearinmyhead.png), in which I then proceeded to draw some of the things I remembered from it. (Don't question it, just take a look at the pink one in the middle.) This then proceeded to me making a bit of "concept art" for it, if you will, which can be viewed here. (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/meetpsido.png)

Admittedly, it looks a bit more like a flamingo than a peacock, but I chose the color to be pink anyway, so it's staying pink. :smallamused:

Geno9999
2011-01-09, 03:54 PM
Finally, the last Pokemon I'll note in this post is the Psychic/Flying typed Psido (replacing Bellsprout, Oblivious or Cloud Nine). Another mixed attacker of sorts, this Pokemon starts out looking seemingly stupid and dim-witted (a guise it uses to lure in unsuspecting predators), then evolves further into a peacock-type creature with a colorful plumage of tail feathers that is both beautiful and dangerous.
*snip*
Admittedly, it looks a bit more like a flamingo than a peacock, but I chose the color to be pink anyway, so it's staying pink. :smallamused:

Why not name it Peago? (pea*censored due to unintentional expletive* + flamingo)
Or alternatively, make a Fire/Flying based on a Flamingo? It almost seems like a pun too good bad too pass up.:smallbiggrin:

Nice job btw.

Mando Knight
2011-01-09, 10:10 PM
pea*censored due to unintentional expletive*

Peacock, you mean. :smallamused:

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-11, 01:51 AM
Thinking about doing a Fire-Flying type, actually. That might work out relatively well. :smallamused:

I should point out that this hack has several different Poison-types. This was totally unintentional, even though Poison is my favorite type. Totally. :smalltongue: Not that there isn't going to be variety, mind you, I just felt like pointing it out.

Some things to note are an Ice-Fighting type Yeti Pokemon to replace Mankey, a evolutionary line of Ice/Flying type penguins to replace the Marril line, and a Poison/Steel typed Pokemon based on a very well-known household pest.

Go ahead and guess what it is. :3 Here, I'll give you a hint:
They're in the beetle family. Also, they have a shield-like body shape.

And speak of the devil, one of the little buggers reared its ugly self right as I typed this post. I guess it knew I was talking about it. :smallmad:

Vorpal word
2011-01-11, 08:07 PM
Can you rework types? Because some types (I'm looking at you, Fighting type) are really strong offensively, while others, like Poison and Normal, are next to useless for super effective hits. Maybe if you could give Poison another type advantage (against Water perhaps) and rework some other types the game wouldn't tend so much towards ground, rock, ice, fire, and fighting attacks.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-11, 08:45 PM
Say, uh, could you please include a) a dark-type gym, and b) a gym leader double battle?

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-11, 10:35 PM
@Vorpal Word: I actually had plans to rework the typing chart a bit, I'll reveal what I've changed when I get around to doing it. :smallwink:

@CoffeeIncluded: Funny thing is, I haven't decided what Gym Leaders I want to use yet, aside from maybe three- A Grass type Gym, an Ice type Gym, and a Poison type gym. If I have enough Dark-types by the end of my Pokedex reworking, then I'll squeeze that in, too. As for a Gym Leader Double Battle, that could definitely work. I have no idea who will be put in charge of that right now, but I know for a fact that it can work.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-12, 12:08 AM
@CoffeeIncluded: Funny thing is, I haven't decided what Gym Leaders I want to use yet, aside from maybe three- A Grass type Gym, an Ice type Gym, and a Poison type gym. If I have enough Dark-types by the end of my Pokedex reworking, then I'll squeeze that in, too. As for a Gym Leader Double Battle, that could definitely work. I have no idea who will be put in charge of that right now, but I know for a fact that it can work.

Ooooh, a Double Dragon Battle! :smallbiggrin:

Vorpal word
2011-01-12, 12:10 AM
The problem with double battle Gym Leaders is that they have monotype Pokemon, and that loses them a major advantage of double battles (using different type Pokemon like Swampert + Skarmory can make amazing combos). Now, if you could make a double rival battle or a double battle with the evil team (only without the useless helper character whose pokemon are all too weak to really help), then that would be great.

Another idea I just had, though it's probably ridiculously hard to make: Pokemon's about strategy, right? Ever find the Elite Four way too easy to beat if you've just soloed the game with one Level 80 Charizard? How about making decisive battles (team leaders, gym leaders, elite fours, and rival fights) have a certain minimum level and a set team, but scale that level upward based on your team's level and possibly replace their Pokes as you go up. That way, unless you play smart you can't really brute force a major fight, even with super-leveled guys, and it also saves the trouble of making extra Elite 4 fights.

What do you say? It's probably impossible...but it's something I think Pokemon really lacks. In order to truly experience the depth of Pokemon AI you have to play against it with your team about 5 levels lower than theirs; otherwise, you just mow them down before they can so much as hit you.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-01-18, 12:43 AM
That's actually not a bad idea. I'll try and do that. :smalltongue:

Okay, small problem: Now that the new semester of school's starting tomorrow, I can guarantee there's gonna be less time to work on this hack. (Especially considering I'm switching majors, so I've got a brand new batch of things to learn!) So, with that said, I'm hoping someone might be able to make some 64x64 sprites of specific Gen V Pokemon for me. I attempted to rescale Emboar's sprite, and it ended up with the image looking like an awkward, blurry mess. That didn't happen with Jalorda, strangely enough.

If anyone here can help me, I'd be eternally grateful. :3

FantasyFoxMan
2011-02-16, 12:45 PM
Wow, clearly this isn't something to care about! It's sunk all the way to the 4th page! :V

Nah, I kid. But I figured I might as well update this thread as well. After I post this message, the Pokemon list shall be updated. Some new 5th Pokemon have been implemented, sprites and all.

I'll also take the time to mention the token Legendary of this hack- known as Behemos, the Embodiment of Darkness. Now, unlike Darkrai, whose "Darkness" only really stretches past nightmares, this Pokemon is, quite literally, darkness and shadows incarnated, being able to create illusions out of the shadows and use them to do his bidding.

If it wasn't obvious (after all, it is a Pokemon hack :V), the Big Bad and his team want to use Behemos for total world domination.

This brings up the "Glyphs". Glyphs are crystalized matter created by Behemos. Each Glyph contains the power and essence of the many legendary Pokemon. The way this works in game is that they have the same stats/EVs/Typings as the legendaries before. However, they are limited to a 4-move moveset, cannot learn TMs or HMs, and cannot be caught in-game. (In fact, the Pokedex entries say that they're "not to be used by humans", for those people who capture them with cheats and whatnot. :3)

The Big Bad's team is researching these Glyphs to use for their own gain, and managed to steal 3 of them- containing the essence of the 3 Regis. However, these 3 Glyphs they stole are weak and highly unstable. Meaning the only move they know is Explosion. :V

There are a total of 13 Glyphs so far. 12 Glyphs are based on Legendaries from Gens 1-3, and one Glyph is a secret. You'll have to play through the game to find this Easter Egg of a Glyph. :smallwink:

Try and guess the legendaries in the Glyph names! Answers in white next to the Glyph names

GLYPH-LU Lugia
GLYPH-HO Ho-Oh
GLYPH-CE Celebi
GLYPH-RR Regirock
GLYPH-RI Regice
GLYPH-RS Registeel
GLYPH-KY Kyogre
GLYPH-GR Groudon
GLYPH-RA Rayquaza
GLYPH-LA Latias
GLYPH-LO Latios
GLYPH-DO Deoxys
GLYPH-?? It's a myyyyyysteryyyyyyy! :3

As you can see, I obviously couldn't fit the entire name in there thanks to the limitations of the Pokemon names. However, I think the cryptic names work better this way. It makes them seem more scientific, in my personal opinion. Each Glyph has a 4-move moveset, and the moves are either from the original Legendary's moveset or moves that they would be able to learn through TM/HM. For example, Lugia's Glyph form knows Surf, as it can learn Surf in-game.

Vorpal word
2011-02-16, 10:52 PM
Hey, sweet, this is back! Love that glyph idea, it's pretty original for a game like Pokemon where there's not much new under the sun anymore. My question is, how are you incorporating the other team? Or have you managed to completely remove them, because if so then kudos to you!

CoffeeIncluded
2011-02-16, 11:32 PM
Wow, this is really interesting with the glyphs.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-02-17, 02:40 AM
The Glyph post has been edited, like I said it would. I would have done it during my Intro to Data Processing class, but I didn't have enough time to finish the post. :smalltongue:

Oh, to answer vorpal word, there's only really going to be one team in this hack, and this team is Team Venom, picked out of my love for Poison types. ...and for a certain Marvel villain that I am also fond of. Sssh, you heard nothing. :V So, I'll most likely be editing the scripts to only include the one team. In the meantime, here's some Venom backstory for y'all. At first glance, Team Venom seem like a bunch of guys and gals (or in this case, mooks) who dress in weird black and purple outfits, performing various good deeds across (insert region name here). For example, sometime near the beginning of the game, the player witnesses Team Venom Grunts clearing a roadblock that's in the way of one town to the next. However, the player character starts to figure out that something's definitely wrong here, and that this team seems... kinda suspicious.

Insert one bit of snooping through a top-secret base, and the player character is caught by one of the Venom admins, who (conveniently, since the player knows too much now) tells the player a little bit about Venom's true intentions, which will soon be revealed to all of (insert region name here).

Of course, none of this has obviously been scripted at all, so forgive me if it seems like ramblings from my own ideas. :V

Penguinator
2011-02-19, 06:27 PM
This all seems very interesting. I have a fair bit of experience with spriting, not Pokemon, but I could try my hand at it. I'd be willing to help out, especially with the fakes.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-02-19, 10:21 PM
Oh, goody, that would be an amazing help! Nobody's gotten back to me at Pokécommunity, and that bothers me. :smallannoyed:

LordShotGun
2011-02-20, 08:12 PM
This is very ambitious and I hope it goes well and you eventually finish but I am honestly not holding my breath even though it looks awesome

...sorry.:smallfrown:

FantasyFoxMan
2011-02-20, 09:05 PM
Hey, don't worry about it. No need to apologize. :smalltongue:

Anyway, Penguinator, if you're definitely on board to help me, lemme know via PM. I would highly appreciate the help, as anything to make this project move along quicker will make me a happy soul.

Goldfly
2011-02-20, 09:16 PM
I was going to offer help with resizing sprites, but when I gave it a shot, they came out all fuzzy. If you need help with anything else, though, just say so.

Qwertystop
2011-02-20, 09:22 PM
I think Smogon has a bit of spriting info. Articles in some issues of The Smog.

Penguinator
2011-02-21, 09:44 AM
I think Smogon has a bit of spriting info. Articles in some issues of The Smog.

Don't worry, I got this. It can't be that awfully different from other stuff I've done.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-02-21, 11:47 AM
Nevertheless, I'll still look into it. It's not like it wouldn't help me any.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-04-04, 12:06 PM
Oh, man, guys, I totally need some help! Hence why I'm bumping to update my thread today. I swear, this thread ain't dead yet! :smalltongue:

So, progress is moving slowly but smoothly, I've been coming up with new ideas for "fake"mons while editing the Gen IV/V Pokemon I've already placed in with YAPE (in this case, I've really only changed Blitzle/Zebstrika and replaced them with Joltik/Galvantula. Sorry, Ze-Bro, you're just not as adorable as the electric spider.) Now, with that said, I'll be updating the first post to include what "fake"mons I've implemented with YAPE already. That's not why I need help, though...

I can't come up with any names. My creativity has failed me today. So, I'm calling upon you, fellow Pokemaniacs. Inside the spoilers are the new "fake"mons that I've come up with. I'd love to hear whatever ideas you have. :smallbiggrin:
First off- a pure Flying baby chick that evolves into a bipedal, bird-like Flying/Fighting Pokemon. High Speed/Attack, Low Sp.Def/HP. (Replaces Swablu/Altaria, Keen Eye/Inner Focus)
Second, an unhatched egg of sand, with feet sticking out from the bottom of the egg. Glowing yellow eyes can be seen from a hole inside as well. (Pure Ground, Sand Veil/Damp) Evolves into a large dragon made entirely of sand. (Ground/Dragon, Sand Veil/Damp)
Next up, a group of 3 Djinns trapped in bottles. Each represents a different element- Water, Electric, and Rock, respectively. When they evolve, they become full-fledged Genies and each gain freedom from their bottle-y prison (in addition to gaining a nice pair of legs. All three gain Psychic as a second type). (Sidenote: The three are replacing Smoochum, Elekid and Magby's evolutionary lines. The first Djinn's abilities are Cute Charm/Water Veil, the second's are Speed Boost/Volt Absorb, the third's are Rock Head/Water Absorb)
Finally, a wisp of frozen, condensed water that evolves into a mist-like entity (Water/Ice, Abilities are yet to be decided. Replaces Snorunt/Glalie)

Anyway, I'm off to update that thar first post.

Eldonauran
2011-04-04, 02:18 PM
Not too good with name picking but I will give it a shot.

Chic/Bird: Kenchic / Kickhen

Egg/Dragon names: Saneg / Sandrago

Yeah, they look a bit ... off. But so does 'swablu'. Lol. Pictures might help get the creative juices flowing.

:smallbiggrin:

Penguinator
2011-04-04, 09:09 PM
As for a chicken? Flying/Fighting, it's Chinja and Rooshogun. Ninja chicken.

Since I'm spriting, or at least trying :smalltongue:, I'll send a few of my better ideas. I have a whole friggin' list.

Blackat and Pandera. A small, black cat, Normal/Dark, with invented ability "Apparition," which grants ghost-like immunities. (Fight/Norm) Upon evolution, it becomes a gigantic, ghostly panther. Dark/Ghost type physical sweeper.

Suisquid and Kalikaze. Squids that use explosion. 'Nuff said. Fire/Water type.

Wattiny, Sparhino, and Sparkilo. Rhinocerous that eventually becomes bipedal, with a sparkplug for a face. Electric/Steel.

Apparoid and Phantech. Steel/Ghost. Begins as a possessed laptop of sorts, it gets bigger and gains limbs.

Crotin, Cragster, and Cragner. (Last name could use work, what can I say, I came up with him... four years ago?) A fighter made of rock, with a headband like Fighter Kirby. Big, with muscle-like rocks. Rock/Fighting.

Dual evolution line, begins as Chibin, a small wolf. Entire line only has one ear. Strange, I know. First way, Attack>Defense, is Wulvin, a bigger wolf with a fire tail, and then Bayawulv, a huge, Garurumon like Pokemon that's Dark/Fighting type. Second way, Defense>Attack, is Retrin, a wolf with scales, (Dark/Water) and then Terapid, a crocodile-thing. Either Dark/Water or Ground/Water. (I based this off the whole "Evolution of Wolves into Whales" thing. Wolves into Crocodiles, into whales. It was... a funny concept for me.)

Scipulse, Crysnerv, and Resplar. Fighting/Ice. A small creature, little more than a speck, is trapped in a block of ice. As it evolves, it grows, and learns to control the ice around it (to form a shield and sword) to fend off enemies. (It's one of my favorite lines)

Handin and Clahowt. It's a hand with an eye on the bottom, Clahowt gains wings. I'm not sure what type was supposed to be. Psychic, maybe? It looks a lot cooler than it sounds, trust me.

Dizziderm and Craziphant. A huge elephant, Psychic/Ground type. Has "crazy eyes," and walks on two legs. Spinda-like, almost.

Salacid, Repoiz, and Toxidran. Poison/Dragon type Komodo Dragon.

Finsquek and Warrat. Water/Dark type water rat, it's interesting, to say the least.

Charling and Chenix. A huge, Fire/Flying chick-turned-phoenix.

Griskull and Cyrilla. A Steel/something Gorilla with a cannon for an arm.

And legendary trio: Rawk, a Rock/Flying Giant Roc, Paypurr, a psychic kitty, and Skizzard, a huge lizard with steel plating.

I realized after I typed this all out that I had, in fact, misread something. Ah, whatever.

Feel free to comment on anything, if you like it, or think maybe it could be tweaked a little. I made a lot of these back when I was in middle school. If you think anything is really stupid, and feel inclined to comment on it, then perhaps I can explain the idea better.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-04-05, 11:11 AM
By the way, Penguinator, I'm gonna get back to you on the topic of spriting. I'm busy compiling a list of what I've already put into the game via YAPE, and giving each evolutionary line its own little mini-description of their physical appearance.

I didn't forget, honest. I was just... distracted. Yeah. :smalltongue: School can do that to ya.

Lord Loss
2011-04-05, 06:19 PM
Might I suggest naming "Blackat" "Blakkat". Just sounds more fluid...

I've been reading this over and it's extremely, extremely cool. I know nothing about computer stuffs, though I'll provide as much fluff as you'd like.

Penguinator
2011-04-05, 08:27 PM
Might I suggest naming "Blackat" "Blakkat". Just sounds more fluid...

I don't know, I think Blakkat looks too... harsh. Blackat seems cuter, and that's kinda what I was going for. Blakat and Blacat don't have the right effect, either.

Vorpal word
2011-04-06, 03:00 PM
Dragon in a sand egg...Ryu-Ran much? :smallamused:

But also, just came up with a few more ideas:

- Ground/Ghost skeleton (built like a blend of Dusclops and Marowak)

- Grass/Flying gibbon (if you can somehow bring in the Acrobatics attack from Generation V, this is a great place to use it).

- Psychic tiger (no idea where I'm going with this, but it just sounds cool to me)

- Water/Grass manatee (probably with Thick Fat and Ingrain for MEGA-STALL)

- Ghost/Ice winter wolf

FantasyFoxMan
2011-04-21, 03:57 AM
Update time, albeit a small update to say many thanks for the ideas that were presented. Some things I've actually adapted and used, which I feel the need to present right now.

-Instead of going with two explosive squids, I decided to instead go with two opposite element-squids, one being Frosquid, an ice squid and the other being Kalikaze, an explosive squid. The two Pokes will normally be found on the complete opposite sides of (insert region name here) where the sea waters are hotter to the West and colder to the East where the snowy mountains are. They both have the same stat total, just arranged differently, with Frosquid being the Special Attacker and Kalikaze being the physical attacker. (Because, hey, Normal-Type explosions are totally physical, amirite)

-I already came up with an idea for a Ghost/Ground skeleton Pokemon, and it's been brought to life (or reanimation if you will) in the form of Skullozor, the Bone Beast. Purely a physical sweeper whose movepool consists of a nice variety of Ghost and Ground type moves. (And it can still learn a good variety of special-type moves, too).

-Also, Fribbon. A Normal/Grass type monkey listed in the Pokedex as the Fruit Giver Pokemon. A kind and friendly creature, it is always seen carrying some kind of fruit that it grows itself, and will normally give this fruit to those who are sick, weary or starving. It also produces a type of "special herb" that relaxes the body when ground and ingested. HP-bulky with lots of support moves to help its allies and annoy its enemies. Also its stats conveniently add up to 420. :V

That's all for now. It's a rather short update as I've had literally no time to work on this thanks to a really hectic school schedule. Hooray for physically and mentally toiling performances!

...Eh. :smallannoyed:

EDIT: Oh, also, I've taken the opportunity to change a few moves, too! I'll list them right now.

-Barrage has been changed to Bronze Ball, a 65-Base Power Steel Type move that behaves exactly like Vital Throw. It moves last but always hits.
-Fire Spin has been changed to Fire Dance, a 55-Base Power, 95-percent accuracy Fire Type move that could be considered the Fire-type equivalent of Icy Wind and Mud Shot.

Vorpal word
2011-04-21, 09:37 PM
Yay, my gibbon idea got implemented!

Also, I like the move changes. I take it there's no physical-special split though...

Khaeta
2011-05-18, 06:16 PM
Just found this thread; very cool. I know exactly zero about hacking/modding (although I might have to try and learn at some point 'cause it could be really fun), but I can help supply ideas for fluff and maybe some spriting (I don't have huge amounts of experience with creating original sprites, but I've done some combining-type spriting and recoloring, and I could see if I can help ^^"

Anyway, I'd love to see what happens when somebody remakes a game like pokemon fixing a lot of things the community wants fixed as opposed to the PR guys...I'll be following this thread (if it continues to exist, of course).

FantasyFoxMan
2011-05-23, 04:24 AM
I love how much support this has gotten within these few months. You guys have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you all. :smallbiggrin:

Now, sappy moment aside, I am still working on this! I had to slow things down a bit because of school, and things sort of got even worse when I... well, lost the flash drive containing all my hack data. :I Luckily, I have everything backed up. And lo and behold, a new flash drive came in the mail recently, too! (In the shape of the key to a Mercedes , don't ask me why, I have my reasons. :V) So, now I can continue to work on the go. All is well again!

Also, I'm going to try and start designing fakemons soon. Because I have the ideas in my head, but no real art skill to speak of, this should be interesting. It really annoys me, too, as I picture some really great ideas but then I can never actually put them on paper.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-06-09, 10:14 PM
Skip the merge edit, it ended up not making the thread show up on the first page. :V

Anyway, good news, everyone! I now know how to successfully input cries! I've tested the method out using a dummy copy of my hack, and it's worked with no huge problems so far (really the only problem I've seen right now is Joltik's cry coming out a teeny bit glitched, the first cry I tested).

In addition to good news, I've finished the first Gym in the game! Set in Athenos City, one of the new cities in [Insert Region Name Here], I made it simple, using Roxanne's already existing tileset, and edited the text for all 3 Trainers (and the Gym Leader, of course).

SPOILERS: The Athenos Gym Leader is Johnny. FYI, Johnny from "The Room" Johnny, in case you were thinking of Johnny Bravo. He uses Normal-Type Pokemon, and when he loses he shouts, "You are tearing me apart, Trainer!" AND GUESS WHAT HIS FIRST POKEMON IS. :V

Spoiler: It's a doggy. HAI DOGGY.

What, did you think this was gonna be a full-on serious hack? :3

Also, new moves time!

Constrict is now Grass Knot. Methinks that needs no explanation.
Knock Off is now Tenta-Slap, a 15 Base Power Water Type move, where the opponent is slapped up to 5 times. With tentacles. I think that's a bit self-explanatory, too. :V
Whirlpool is now Deluge, a 25 Base Power Water Type move that always hits twice.
Remember that Dragon Pulse move I fixed to be more like the D/P/Pt/B/W Dragon Pulse we all know and love? Yeah, that's Dark Pulse now. Works just like D/P/Pt/B/W.
Memento is now Soul Steal, a move exclusive to Skullozor. Think of it as the Ghost type equivalent of Explosion, except you can select who it hits, rather than hitting everyone at once. I need to test this move first to make sure it works right.
Poison Fang is now Toxic Fang, which basically works the way Poison Tail did (poisons foe, increased chance to crit). In addition, Poison Tail is now Poison Jab, which works the way it does in D/P/Pt/B/W.

I think that's all for now, I don't remember if there were any more. :smallconfused:

Vorpal word
2011-06-10, 12:56 AM
My opinion on the moves:
- Good riddance to Constrict, and Grass Knot's a great move!
- Tenta-Slap sounds interesting, but...I wouldn't get rid of Knock Off, it's a nice strategic move, like Rapid Spin. Now, if you dropped something that nobody used ever used, ever, like Lick (seriously, those Ghosts need a better move), I'd take it, Water-types wouldn't mind a multi-hit attack.
- Deluge seems a bit underpowered...could you raise its power and Double Kick's power to 40 maybe?
- Whether Dragon Pulse or Dark Pulse, that's a good move you're making there.
- Soul Steal...seems too similar to Destiny Bond, which is learned by similar Pokemon and hits all opponents, which makes it superior in almost every way. Unless you plan on majorly changing movepools, I'd just leave Destiny bond and convert Memento to something like Soul Transfer (you die, the next Pokemon sent out is full restore'd).
- Uhm...I don't understand what the Poison Fang and Poison Tail switching did...let it live I guess. Again though, I'd first replace the obscure moves which nobody uses, like Razor Wind, Psywave, etc.

As for my move recommendations, well...let's talk buffs. Yeah, there may be power creep in 4th and 5th Generation, but some things really need improvement. I don't know if you can make the phys/special split manually (would be awesome if you could), but even without that some attacks desperately need a boost. So here's a short list:
- Giga Drain: Up to 75 Power
- Rock Smash: Up to 40 Power with 50% drop chance
- Rock Blast and Icicle Spear: Up to 25 Power per hit, same for Bullet Seed if it's not there already?
- Taunt: I painfully found out recently that in Emerald Taunt only lasts 2 turns. This means you're forced to keep using it every other turn if you're trying to set up, and that gets you killed really damn fast. Any way you could extend it to 2-5 turns?
- Tail Glow: Come on, there's gotta be SOME incentive to use those mons...so, +3 boost plox?
- Rock Tomb: It's been a TM for 3 generations now and it's used about as often as a move like Splash. Something's gotta be done about it, and that something is probably buffing its power to 80 or 90 or 100. Maybe improve the accuracy a bit too. I mean, right now it's just an inferior Rock Throw with a rare, slightly useful side effect.
- Poison Gas: This is exactly why everyone uses Toxic instead of normal poison; the only insta-poison move in the game besides Toxic has what, 55 accuracy?? Buff acc to 100 and people might actually consider it as an alternative. And while everything that gets Poison Gas also gets Toxic, missing on a 75% chance always stings.
- Steel Wing: Another underpowered TM. Steven claims it's his favorite move, but if he had more than one Pokemon using it, he would be no challenge whatsoever.
- Thundershock: Seriously needs a buff to 40, considering it's otherwise the same as Ember only with Paralyze.
- Rage: I've always like Rage, but it's just too situational. Buffing starting power to like 40 or 60 and giving it a flinch chance would be nice.

Also, more stuff to get rid of:
- Absorb: We already have two grass-type HP stealing moves which aren't that good, and we don't need a third which is worse. If you like, rename Giga Drain to Mega Drain and Mega Drain to Absorb, and use the Absorb slot for something decent.
- Bind/Wrap: They're the exact same freaking move. One has to go.
- Double Team: Just...please? Or make it un-abusable somehow? I actually hate it when you're all set to sweep a gym leader and then you can't hit them.
- Fury Swipes: There are three identical Normal type moves: Fury Swipes, Fury Attack, and DoubleSlap. I vote one should go, and I want it to be the one that's failed me the most (see: Getting KO'd by underlevelled Team Rocket Grunts because SOMEBODY didn't hit that Koffing enough times).

Hopefully that's enough ranting for one night.

Prime32
2011-06-10, 10:43 AM
- Rage: I've always like Rage, but it's just too situational. Buffing starting power to like 40 or 60 and giving it a flinch chance would be nice.Or just make the ATK boost come with the attack. Or heck, have it boost both physical and special moves.

Also, more stuff to get rid of:
- Absorb: We already have two grass-type HP stealing moves which aren't that good, and we don't need a third which is worse. If you like, rename Giga Drain to Mega Drain and Mega Drain to Absorb, and use the Absorb slot for something decent.Tera Drain? :smalltongue: A cross between Mega Drain and Hyper Beam.

- Bind/Wrap: They're the exact same freaking move. One has to go.Correction, Wrap is more accurate. :smalltongue: Maybe make Bind a Rock move so Onix can take advantage of it?

- Fury Swipes: There are three identical Normal type moves: Fury Swipes, Fury Attack, and DoubleSlap. I vote one should go, and I want it to be the one that's failed me the most (see: Getting KO'd by underlevelled Team Rocket Grunts because SOMEBODY didn't hit that Koffing enough times).Nah, Fury Attack = DoubleSlap with twice as much PP, but Fury Swipes is slightly more powerful and less accurate. Maybe make Fury (blank) raise your ATK?

Stuff I'd put in if I did one of these hacks:
Cut reduces the target's ATK by one step in addition to dealing damage.
Flash's effect is doubled in strength.
Ice types are resistant to Poison, but Ice attacks do half damage to Ghosts.

Penguinator
2011-06-10, 11:07 AM
Double Team: Just...please? Or make it un-abusable somehow? I actually hate it when you're all set to sweep a gym leader and then you can't hit them.

Dunno. I love using Double Team, and I always keep something with Aerial Ace handy.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-06-10, 09:59 PM
Response time!

- Tenta-Slap sounds interesting, but...I wouldn't get rid of Knock Off, it's a nice strategic move, like Rapid Spin. Now, if you dropped something that nobody used ever used, ever, like Lick (seriously, those Ghosts need a better move), I'd take it, Water-types wouldn't mind a multi-hit attack.
I honestly despise Knock Off (much like how I despise Thief and Pursuit, Thief I hate less because it can at least be slightly useful), but I may find some other use for the ability to knock away an opponent's held item.

Deluge seems a bit underpowered...could you raise its power and Double Kick's power to 40 maybe?
The only reason why the power is 25 is because I wanted to compare it to moves like Double Hit, which have a low power but have the benefit of hitting twice, which pretty much doubles their power. If I upped it to 40 it'd essentially be as powerful as an 80-base power move. (Not to mention any Water-Types would be getting STAB from it, making it even more powerful.) I learned this from my previous Dragon Pulse (before making it a normal 80-base power move, then subsequently switching it to Dark Pulse :smalltongue:).

- Soul Steal...seems too similar to Destiny Bond, which is learned by similar Pokemon and hits all opponents, which makes it superior in almost every way. Unless you plan on majorly changing movepools, I'd just leave Destiny bond and convert Memento to something like Soul Transfer (you die, the next Pokemon sent out is full restore'd).
Not sure how I could do that, to tell the truth.

- Uhm...I don't understand what the Poison Fang and Poison Tail switching did...let it live I guess. Again though, I'd first replace the obscure moves which nobody uses, like Razor Wind, Psywave, etc.
The only reason why I swapped Poison Fang and Poison Tail is because I wanted Poison Jab, and I just really like the way Poison Tail works (good chance to crit, plus an added poison benefit)

- Giga Drain: Up to 75 Power
- Rock Smash: Up to 40 Power with 50% drop chance
- Rock Blast and Icicle Spear: Up to 25 Power per hit, same for Bullet Seed if it's not there already?
Giga Drain is already done, Rock Smash is Head Smash now and is no longer an HM (HM06 has been replaced with Rock Climb), all multi-hit moves have gotten a slight buff.

- Taunt: I painfully found out recently that in Emerald Taunt only lasts 2 turns. This means you're forced to keep using it every other turn if you're trying to set up, and that gets you killed really damn fast. Any way you could extend it to 2-5 turns?
- Tail Glow: Come on, there's gotta be SOME incentive to use those mons...so, +3 boost plox?
Taunt will probably stay as I don't really know how to up the amount of turns it can last for, Tail Glow is now Power Charge, it's a Psychic-type move now, and works the same way, but now it's a TM, and it's not restricted to just bugs anymore. :smallwink:

- Rock Tomb: It's been a TM for 3 generations now and it's used about as often as a move like Splash. Something's gotta be done about it, and that something is probably buffing its power to 80 or 90 or 100. Maybe improve the accuracy a bit too. I mean, right now it's just an inferior Rock Throw with a rare, slightly useful side effect.
- Poison Gas: This is exactly why everyone uses Toxic instead of normal poison; the only insta-poison move in the game besides Toxic has what, 55 accuracy?? Buff acc to 100 and people might actually consider it as an alternative. And while everything that gets Poison Gas also gets Toxic, missing on a 75% chance always stings.
Rock Tomb I'm probably going to change to make better, Poison Gas is now an attacking move. 35 Base Power, 75% accuracy, it works like Smog did. Subsequently, Smog is a different move now, too- Murky Haze, a 65 Base Power move with an 80% accuracy which has a chance to badly poison on hit (and it's also a TM.)

- Steel Wing: Another underpowered TM. Steven claims it's his favorite move, but if he had more than one Pokemon using it, he would be no challenge whatsoever.
- Thundershock: Seriously needs a buff to 40, considering it's otherwise the same as Ember only with Paralyze.
- Rage: I've always like Rage, but it's just too situational. Buffing starting power to like 40 or 60 and giving it a flinch chance would be nice.
Steel Wing... ehh, I like Steel Wing. Hell, I like Rage, too. I'm most likely not going to make changes to either moves. As for Thundershock... It's always been at 40 Base Power, so... yeah. :smalltongue:

- Absorb: We already have two grass-type HP stealing moves which aren't that good, and we don't need a third which is worse. If you like, rename Giga Drain to Mega Drain and Mega Drain to Absorb, and use the Absorb slot for something decent.
- Bind/Wrap: They're the exact same freaking move. One has to go.
- Double Team: Just...please? Or make it un-abusable somehow? I actually hate it when you're all set to sweep a gym leader and then you can't hit them.
- Fury Swipes: There are three identical Normal type moves: Fury Swipes, Fury Attack, and DoubleSlap. I vote one should go, and I want it to be the one that's failed me the most (see: Getting KO'd by underlevelled Team Rocket Grunts because SOMEBODY didn't hit that Koffing enough times).

Ehh, keeping Absorb in just because it's weak as hell, Bind and Wrap are staying as well, but Bind might be changed to a Rock type. Double Team stays, but you really won't see it used that often by many people in this hack. Except for maybe the occasional Trainer (and the friendly rival if you picked the Water starter) that has a Staravia, you won't really see many Trainers using it that often.

Response time over! Now, you want to know what sucks about having a laptop that sucks and has no hardware that Gateway associates with it anymore because it's one of those outdated models?

EVERYTHING. :smallannoyed: Oh, and it has a 15-minute battery life, too. This message was supposed to be posted at 6:30 PM (EST). It's 11:00 right now in my time. I'm trying to find a replacement AC adapter yet again.

Qwertystop
2011-06-10, 10:10 PM
Not sure how I could do that, to tell the truth.
A similar attack exists in Gen IV, its a signature of Cresselia.

The only reason why I swapped Poison Fang and Poison Tail is because I wanted Poison Jab, and I just really like the way Poison Tail works (good chance to crit, plus an added poison benefit)
Why not just change Fang and leave tail unchanged? You essentially switched them ,then made the change.

whitetext since my reply is in the quote

FantasyFoxMan
2011-06-11, 01:52 AM
To answer that, yes, this is true, but Healing Wish doesn't exist in Gen 3. What I mean is I'm not sure how I can incorporate a move like Healing Wish in, I'd need to do my homework first. :smalltongue:

I also added Poison Jab to replace Poison Tail, while keeping the effects of Poison Tail in Poison Fang. I probably didn't explain that well enough. :V

Qwertystop
2011-06-11, 02:14 PM
I also added Poison Jab to replace Poison Tail, while keeping the effects of Poison Tail in Poison Fang. I probably didn't explain that well enough. :V

That's what I mean. Why not just add Poison Jab to replace Poison Fang, and keep Poison Tail as-is? Effectively, you switched their spots in the code, then replaced one, so why bother with the switch? Or am I still misunderstanding?
:confused:

Sum Pokemans
2011-06-11, 08:38 PM
Oh god, I saw the thread title and thought all of ChHa had a secret vendetta against me...

dangermunk
2011-06-11, 09:12 PM
Oh! I have loads of pokemon and move Ideas!
A grass/ground pirahna plant like pokemon is green and red and brown
A round water type with spots that has a nozzle on the bottom to blast off with, and its evolution with really long ears and three nozzles (water/flying)
A huge dragon type evil looking dragon... with terrible stats
a fruit pokemon which evolves into a seeds pokemon that evolves into a tree pokemon
A blob-of-water pokemon
A seaweed water/grass
A psychic type that shrinks when it evolves, but has the same weight
A water/fire tallapia pokemon
A castle or brick shaped rock type
an ice cube pokemon
Glask and Glasklaw, ghost/ice pokemon with huge sp. attack and attack but very little in everything else
Kapow, Krakow, and Krakatow, you make up the rest

for moves, like this (type, variety(p for physical, s for special, and t for status), accuracy, and damage
Soapy water (water, t, 90. -)lowers accuracy and speed
Drop beam (water, p, -, 55) always hits, always goes first
Heat up (fire, s, 95, 60) 35% chance of burn
Cool down (ice, s, 95, 60) 30% chance of freeze
Trap (dark,s, 95, 220) THinks for one turn, sets up attack on second turn, hits on third turn
Flood (water, p, 100, -) more damage on shorter pokemon
Press in (normal, p, 100, 80) Same type as user (if two types, one picked art random)
Pressurepoke(fighting, p, 65, 100) criticals do 4X damage
Ground spurt (ground, p, 100, 60) hits flying and levitating
Grass, water, and fire smites (grass, water, fire, all s, all 100, all 200) three turn attack, hits on second turn
Edge throw (rock, p, 95, 110) hits 3 turns after use
Deafen (normal, s, 80, 100) changes ability of target to soundproof, is sound attack
Vibrate (ground, p, 95, 110) raises evasivenes of target
Trick hit (fighting, p, 100, 80) makes target hit itself
Into bash (psychic, s, 100, 80) uses opponents defence by lifting and smashind into ground
whew!

FantasyFoxMan
2011-06-19, 03:45 AM
So, I've been drawing (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/162/6/0/lazy_fakemon_attempt_1__twurl_by_skie_the_kitsune-d3iln53.png) a couple (http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/164/6/9/lfa2__glidar_by_skie_the_kitsune-d3ittd3.png) Fakemons (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/166/3/4/lfa3__gloop_by_skie_the_kitsune-d3j1cr9.png). Pardon my terrible drawing (and even worse spriting, that's definitely not my forte. :smalltongue:)

There should be more on the way soon, but in the meantime, I'll fill you in on these three. Twurl and Glidar are a pair of Water/Flying Pokemon (Replacing Teddiursa and Ursaring) that have a fairly high Sp.Defense stat, and mixed stats in just about everywhere else. (to be precise, 46/55/64/55/85/70 for Twurl and 52/75/88/75/135/75 for Glidar) They get about through the air with the propeller-like appendages on their heads (and then later on their... well, rears) A Twurl's propellers are known to clear the sky of clouds (their ability is Cloud Nine), so weather teams have used them to help during observational tests. Then, when evolving at level 24, the Pokemon grows a thin membrane atop its head, and is able to stretch it out like a hang glider. It uses this gliding appendage along with the propeller to fly through the sky, albeit the landing needs work.

Next up is a little amorphous blob of mud known as Gloop. The first part of a 3-stage evolutionary line (replacing Slowpoke's line), Gloop is, as it obviously shows, a blob of living mud. It is able to morph and alter its appearance to move and attack in battle (IE. a fist, etc.), but it moves very slowly when getting around. It is a solitary Pokemon with a simple mind that usually prefers to be left alone.

So, as it probably shows, I'm a horrible spriter. Still, lemme know what you think of 'em. Two of them did start out as doodles anyway. :smalltongue:

Penguinator
2011-06-19, 09:12 AM
That's what I'm here for, boss. :smallwink:

I do like Twurl, but Glidar just doesn't do anything for me.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-06-19, 07:14 PM
Awww. :smallfrown:

Well, can't win 'em all. :V Think you might be able to help me out regardless?

Penguinator
2011-06-19, 11:58 PM
Awww. :smallfrown:

Well, can't win 'em all. :V Think you might be able to help me out regardless?

Yeah, that's fine.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-06-29, 04:46 PM
So, remember how I said I had trouble resizing certain sprites because they came out really blurry and stuff, like Emboar's?

Well, the same thing happened to poor Archeops, so I did a little editing of my own, and this is the final result.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/ohgodwhat.png

Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. :smallsmile: All I had to do was chop off the tail to make it fit the 64x64 sprite size, then re-edit the tail back in.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-07-13, 07:40 PM
Aww, man, editing cries is turning out to be a real pain in the ass. I literally cannot insert one cry without another turning into a loud, unpleasant, glitchy mess. :smallmad:

Also, I've started editing icons as well as sprites. Almost all the Gen IV Pokemon I've put into this have their correct icons.