PDA

View Full Version : The significance of 634

arpin
2010-12-20, 10:32 PM
I have commented on this in a couple of other threads, and am starting to see a pattern.

1. In strip 634, V finally gets ultimate power via the soul splice.

2.In strip 131, Haley's hunt to free her father via money is established. In strip 765, we discover all of Haley's plans related to that.

3. In strip 665, Roy is resurrected. 634 strips later will be 1299, right before 1300, the unlucky number 13X100.

Thoughts, anyone?

Dr.Epic
2010-12-20, 11:39 PM
Thoughts, anyone?

Yeah, you've seen The Number 23 too many times.

arpin
2010-12-20, 11:47 PM
Yeah, you've seen The Number 23 too many times.

The number 23? I've read your posts, they're often jokes, but i have no idea what you're trying to say,

WalkingTarget
2010-12-21, 12:04 AM
The number 23? I've read your posts, they're often jokes, but i have no idea what you're trying to say,

I believe the implication is that you're reading too much into the numbers. There is probably nothing significant going on.

Procyonpi
2010-12-21, 12:07 AM
The Giant DOES NOT CARE about the strip numbers. Period. If he happens to be able to make a joke about the number, he might do it, but after re-writing some stuff to have strip 200 be dramatic, he gave up on caring about numbers.

Gift Jeraff
2010-12-21, 12:19 AM
1300, the unlucky number 13X100.
And it will be as bad as the unlucky number 13 times 2356. And I don't even know what that is.

Nobody does.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-21, 12:23 AM
And it will be as bad as the unlucky number 13 times 2356. And I don't even know what that is.

Nobody does.

30628, which screams unluck!:smalleek:

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-21, 12:31 AM
Thoughts, anyone?
Amazing! I think I've spotted a few more, too:

In #723, Elan finally meets his father. 634 strips earlier in #89, all of the Order are invisible, which obviously symbolises the absence Elan has felt all these years.

Roy died in #443, and in another 634 strips it'll be #1077, which if it were a year would be eleven years after 1066, the year of the Battle of Hastings. You see, Roy died in a big battle, and the number eleven has all kinds of spiritual significance (http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/11.html) that is almost certainly connected with Roy going to the afterlife in some sort of way, probably.

Ooh! Just thought of another one - V got the splices in #634, sure, but we don't see the actual result of that until one strip later, in #635. If we take 634 away from this, we are left with one: the exact same number as the very first OotS strip!

And then there's strip number... Actually, I think I'd better stop there. This is freaky enough already and if I go any further down the rabbit hole I might just faint.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-21, 12:41 AM

Jokes?:smallconfused: My posts are always serious. Next thing you're be telling me Stephen Colbert isn't always serious on his show.

I believe the implication is that you're reading too much into the numbers. There is probably nothing significant going on.

Thank you arrow man for explaining the joke.

FoE
2010-12-21, 12:49 AM
OMG! In Strip 44, the first appearance of the Linear Guild, Durkon is never seen once.

If we add 4 and 4, we get 8. If we multiply 44 by 8, we get 352. That's the strip that Durkon uses Control Weather to take down the Linear Guild's most powerful member, Leeky Windstaff!

IT CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE!

Dr.Epic
2010-12-21, 05:01 AM
OMG! In Strip 44, the first appearance of the Linear Guild, Durkon is never seen once.

If we add 4 and 4, we get 8. If we multiply 44 by 8, we get 352. That's the strip that Durkon uses Control Weather to take down the Linear Guild's most powerful member, Leeky Windstaff!

IT CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE!

But wait, strip 3 is the first time the Order split up, and the first strip the Order updated to from 3 to 3.5. And in strip 20 we see for the first major occurrence of V being bad ass. So if we take the numbers 3 1 20 and assign them numbers in the alphabet we get...

CAT!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLLW9EsCFoQ&feature=related):smalleek:

Felixc-91
2010-12-21, 05:08 AM
But wait, strip 3 is the first time the Order split up, and the first strip the Order updated to from 3 to 3.5. And in strip 20 we see for the first major occurrence of V being bad ass. So if we take the numbers 3 1 20 and assign them numbers in the alphabet we get...

CAT!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLLW9EsCFoQ&feature=related):smalleek:LOL, nice. so, do we think that arpin has gotten the point yet?

Eldan
2010-12-21, 05:18 AM
And in strip 23, we are first introduced to the monster in the darkness.

Think about it. A shadowy, powerful figure.

AyeGill
2010-12-21, 07:08 AM
And in strip 42, belkar is shown in an entire strip of his own for the first time. And in strip 439, he is shown in what is commonly recognized as his most awesome moment.

and if you subtract 42 from 439, you get 398, and if you add 3+9+8, you get 20.
and strip 20 is called Arcanolypse now. Arcanolypse is a play on the words arcane and apocalypse. Apocalypse is the end of everything, and 42 is the answer to The Ultimate Question about Life, The Universe, and Evertything.

HOLY ****

Killer Angel
2010-12-21, 07:17 AM
Do you really think it's only for the sequential numbers that we had a strip n. 666? :smallcool:

(wow, if this thread isn't spam, altough funny, I don't know what else... I'll ask a Mod :smalltongue:)

I believe the implication is that you're reading too much into the numbers.

I should read again Focault's pendulum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault%27s_Pendulum_(book))...

Cizak
2010-12-21, 07:33 AM
Also, if we take #634, V's ultimate power strip, and subtract the magical number 634, we get 0.

...and strip 20 is called Arcanolypse now. Arcanolypse is a play on the words arcane and apocalypse.

0 = nothing!

nothing = everything has ended!

everything ends = apocalypse!

OMG! Vaarsuvius will destroy the Stick-verse! :smalleek:

Conuly
2010-12-21, 10:05 AM
OMG! Vaarsuvius will destroy the Stick-verse!

Well, duh. You only figured that out now? It's so obvious when you think about it and do the math!

Eldan
2010-12-21, 10:46 AM
Actually, that's not entirely true.

See, in the Lesser Key of Solomon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesser_Key_of_Solomon), the 23rd demon is Duke Aim. Keep that in mind for later.

634/23 is 27,5652174. That's almost halfway between 27 (or 3*9, the trinity times the circles of hell) and 28 (or 4*7, the cardinal directions times the circles of heaven.)

Comic 27 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0027.html) is about Durkon refusing to use a Touch Spell on Elan. He can not get in touch.

Comic 28 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html) is about Haley getting her hands on things. Obviously, she can get in touch.

Haley represents the female, or Yin side, while Durkon is male, or Yang.

Therefore, someone is in touch with their female, but not their male side, but stuck halfway between them.

Duke Aim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demons_in_the_Ars_Goetia#Duke_Aim) has three heads, that of a man, a cat and a serpent, and he likes setting things on fire. He represents the Chimera.

In comic 23 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0023.html), we see Xykon speak for the first time. But what is visible in the first frame? The Chimera!

Therefore, V is a woman.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-12-21, 10:58 AM
Eldan wins. Thread over.

Watch it, the next poster has the 20th post! And we all know what happens in strip 20!

ARCANOCLYPSE!!!!:smallcool:

Occasional Sage
2010-12-21, 11:02 AM
This thread?

This one right here, that you're reading?

THIS is why I hate (and get a kick out of) numerology.

Eldan
2010-12-21, 11:02 AM
Let's look at the word Arcanocylpse:

Translating the letters into numbers, we get:
1-18-3-1-14-15-3-12-25-16-19-5

That's a mathematical term, obviously, which gives us -130.

Or the opposite of this strip:
130. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html)

Therefore, the bag of tricks will save the world, as it opposes the Arcanoclypse: 20=-130.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

arpin
2010-12-21, 03:46 PM
This was a statement of an idea I got into my head, but based on responses I think it would be ideal to just leave it and see if anybody else wants to waste their time.

Eldan
2010-12-21, 03:58 PM
Basically: I fail to see what pattern you are seeing in the first post. You have to explain to me why exactly the number 634 is significant.

And I'm sorry if you feel insulted, I wasn't specifically making fun of you, I just think the concept of numerology is a little silly.

Nevereatcars
2010-12-21, 05:02 PM
This is great! I'm rofling all over my ttyl into my jk!

Magdela
2010-12-21, 07:15 PM
The blind are leading the blind! :smallamused:

TheSummoner
2010-12-21, 07:45 PM
People, people...

Rich is an author and artist. He is not the Riddler.

arpin
2010-12-21, 10:57 PM
Basically: I fail to see what pattern you are seeing in the first post. You have to explain to me why exactly the number 634 is significant.

And I'm sorry if you feel insulted, I wasn't specifically making fun of you, I just think the concept of numerology is a little silly.

My reasoning behind the significance has to do with character goals. Varsuuvius has been hunting for ultimate arcane power as an essential character trait, so starting from strip #0, and 634 strips later V gets it. Haley's goal to free her father is explained in strip #131, and 634 strips later in #765 the comic touches back on it with the immediate decision to free him. Roy's ultimate goal is to defeat Xykon, which is likely almost synonymous with the end of the comic. The most significant single-comic moment for Roy is the resurrection, and 634 strips later is #1299, being right before 1300 a dramatically appropriate point for the end.

There is no symbolism here, just connections between facts.

Numbers have relationships. Relationships have patterns. Patterns sometimes mean things. That, at least, is my opinion on numerology. Whether or not it's a coincidence, it might as well be checked.

If you don't actually believe what you are saying in your post and are just saying it to be sarcastic, really, what's the point?

FoE
2010-12-21, 11:05 PM
Or maybe they just happen to be numbers without significance and you are seeing connections where there are none.

After all, we've known Haley's motivations for becoming an adventurer and joining Roy's group since Origin of PCs. The only revelation that came in the last strip was that she was planning to steal back the ransom money after freeing her father. That was hardly earth-shattering.

Felixc-91
2010-12-21, 11:48 PM
My reasoning behind the significance has to do with character goals. Varsuuvius has been hunting for ultimate arcane power as an essential character trait, so starting from strip #0, and 634 strips later V gets it. Haley's goal to free her father is explained in strip #131, and 634 strips later in #765 the comic touches back on it with the immediate decision to free him. Roy's ultimate goal is to defeat Xykon, which is likely almost synonymous with the end of the comic. The most significant single-comic moment for Roy is the resurrection, and 634 strips later is #1299, being right before 1300 a dramatically appropriate point for the end.

There is no symbolism here, just connections between facts.

Numbers have relationships. Relationships have patterns. Patterns sometimes mean things. That, at least, is my opinion on numerology. Whether or not it's a coincidence, it might as well be checked.

If you don't actually believe what you are saying in your post and are just saying it to be sarcastic, really, what's the point?fine, fine, i'll take this seriusly for a moment. assuming there is some significance to 634, your first 2 points make sense. however the one about Roy dose not follow the pattern as well. however, something that might work better is applying this to Durkon. perhaps adding 634 to the number of the strip where he learns he's going to die before returning home to determine when he will die.
edit: that would be strip 331 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html) i suppose you could also use 333 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0333.html) because its given more attention there.
so that would be either 965 or 967

Leecros
2010-12-22, 12:15 AM
My reasoning behind the significance has to do with character goals. Varsuuvius has been hunting for ultimate arcane power as an essential character trait, so starting from strip #0, and 634 strips later V gets it. Haley's goal to free her father is explained in strip #131, and 634 strips later in #765 the comic touches back on it with the immediate decision to free him.

I'm not sure i follow your reasoning.

V's striving for ultimate arcane power. Which she gets 634 strips later.

Haley's goal to free her father is explained in strip 131 and 634 strips later she decides to free him

and Roy's ultimate goal is to defeat Xykon and by your logic Xykon will be defeated 634 strips after his resurrection in strip 665.

But your second point is not like the other two. Where V attained her 'UAP' 634 strips later and based on your theory Roy will have defeated Xykon 634 strips later....
Haley's goal wasn't met 634 strips later. She decides to free him, yes, but he is not freed, thus flawing your reasoning.

Conuly
2010-12-22, 12:28 AM

Well, first of all you need at least three examples to make a pattern - not two. If you pick any random number of strips, sooner or later you'll find two pairs of strips that look alike and happen to have the same number of strips between the first and second in each pair.

Secondly, sure, numbers have relationships and patterns which mean things. Absolutely. And this is great for us, as humans, because humans are really really good at seeing patterns. (Good thing we are, too! If we weren't, it'd take a long sight more than a year and a half to learn to talk!)

The trouble is that we're really really good at seeing patterns. We look up at the clouds and we see dragons and weasels. We look in the stars and we see hunters and bears. Random rock formations appear to be old men or young women to us.

And that's not the worst of it. Every silly superstition came up because somebody saw a pattern that wasn't really there. Once a black cat crossed your path and you tripped and fell? Maybe it's the cat's fault - black is a spooky color and their eyes glow in the dark! Scary! People often sneeze as they're getting sick? Well, maybe if you ward off the demons when they sneeze they won't get sick! Sneezing is a seriously bad omen. (This is an example of seeing a correct pattern, but jumping to entirely the wrong conclusion. Sneezing doesn't make you sick by letting demons enter the body, it's a sign that you're already ill and your body wants to get the germs to exit as fast as possible.) A few people tripped and fell after performing in Macbeth? The entire play must be cursed!

And so on, and so forth.

You saw a correlation between two pairs of strips. Well, good for you! When you see a third, and a fourth, then you might have a case. (Or you might not. People see what you want to see, and when the patterns don't match up to what they think the patterns should say, they tend to fudge things. In your case that might mean making unimportant strips out to be more pivotal than they really were.) But two is hardly as meaningful as you think.

Felixc-91
2010-12-22, 12:40 AM
ooh, about taking this thread seriusly, i think i found a better point to tie 634 to. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html), where Roy reforges his sword and oath.

Eldan
2010-12-22, 05:02 AM
Yes, the problem with this is the following:

I'd say in about one out of ten strips or so, someone talks about his goals. Every fifty strips or so, someone achieves something. Just by probability, there will be some patterns there.

Cedworth
2010-12-22, 05:37 AM
Ok, there's something I often say when these types of coincidental things come up.

How many times does the formula NOT hold true? Well, several dozen at least.

Also, it's hard enough to just write a good story, let alone, intentionally putting in weird coincidences. There is no significance in the strip numbers.

One other thing (to anyone who may need to hear this) those mystical orbs in your photographs are just dust particles on the lens. Not ghosts.

grimbold
2010-12-22, 07:57 AM
this is both humorous and mean
i cant decide if it should go on or stop

Eldan
2010-12-22, 08:03 AM
"How often is it not true" is a good application, really.

Let's look at other characters, and what could be seen as their goals.

Belkar will die. That's probably closest to his goal.
Durkon will return home posthumously.
Elan will have a happy ending.

All of those were revealed in the oracle strip and should, according to the formula, occur in the same clearly determined strip.

Cizak
2010-12-22, 08:17 AM

Well, you see, this is where your reasoning falls flat on it's face.

There is no #0, there never has been. If you're referring to everything that has happened before #1, one could argue that you're reffering to OtOoPCs, which many would say is kinda like many strips tied together.

Sure, Haley's goal was explained in #131, but has been with her much longer. Since OtOoPCs, in fact. So if we actually call that #0, wouldn't Haley have rescued her father in strip #634? Also, nothing significant about the rescue actually happened in #765. She just explains how she has imagined it will all go down. Her goal wasn't completed.

Once again, we have known about Roy's goal much longer than since he got ressurected. His goal has too existed since "#0", meaning by your reasoning that he too would've achieved his goal in #634. That comic is starting to become kinda cluttered, don't you think?

Also, do you really think the comic will end one strip after defeating Xykon? What would that strip be? "Xykon is dead! 'Kay gang, that was fun. See you in a few years to catch up on old times? Sounds awesome. Cya!"

faustin
2010-12-22, 08:58 AM

Have you read Umberto Eco´s "Foucault's Pendulum "? Follow that line of reasonaments and you may eventually relate the Order of Stick with the Maya calendar.

Draconi Redfir
2010-12-22, 09:16 AM

CAT!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLLW9EsCFoQ&feature=related):smalleek:

WORSHIPERS OF THE CAT GOD UNITE!

137beth
2010-12-22, 06:19 PM
ooh, about taking this thread seriusly, i think i found a better point to tie 634 to. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html), where Roy reforges his sword and oath.

Okay:
The greatest common divisor of 634 and 298 is 2. In strip 2, Varsuvius says "our fates are now intertwined." And in strip 634, Varsuvius's fate of "ultimate" power is met. So clearly, Haley's fate is connected to the IFCC!

On a more serious note: These are a bunch of coincidences.