PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse & Frozen Neenees

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-21, 01:48 AM
If you are in North America, Greenland or Eastern Russia tonight is a good night for a... full lunar eclipse!

It's just starting to knock the edge off the full moon overhead, but won't be completely eclipsed for another hour as of this post.

Cool thing is, this is the first lunar eclipse on the longest night of the year (winter solstice) since the 1600's. Kinda awesome. Won't be seeing it again in your lifetime either, so get out for a once in a several century opportunity.

Unfortunately, you'll also likely be freezing your butt off while doing so.

No pain no gain. NOW GO WATCH SOME MOON!

http://www.polls.newsvine.com/_vine/images/users/600/boyle/5684203.jpg

Lycan 01
2010-12-21, 01:51 AM
There's also a meteor shower. :smallcool:

Too bad its cloudy here tonight. T__T

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-21, 01:53 AM
There's also a meteor shower. :smallcool:
Sure is, saw some nice ones when I went out earlier.

Too bad its cloudy here tonight. T__T
It was bad cloudy here, but then cleared up, now its perfect. Only thin patches here and there making everything look cool and keeping your eyes occupied as the moon gets boring after an hour :smallwink:

Eruantion
2010-12-21, 01:53 AM
It's really cloudy here, too, but the moon is still pushing through somehow. The whole thing has this mystical air about it, but it's a little creepy to watch alone.

Lycan 01
2010-12-21, 01:55 AM
Nope, its a full blanket of cloud as far as they can see here. The only noteworthy thing about that is the random patches of red on the horizon, courtesy the various cities in the distance. :smallsigh:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-21, 01:59 AM
Nope, its a full blanket of cloud as far as they can see here.
...same here now to. Wasn't even anything on the horizon 10 minutes ago, now it looks like its about to come a blizzard.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-21, 02:03 AM
MAN, I want to go outside and look at the moon, but it is so frigging cold out! I'll go look again soon.

Partof1
2010-12-21, 02:10 AM
I'm happy looking from my window, to be honest, it's cool from here.

Vaynor
2010-12-21, 02:12 AM
Great, we get an awesome lunar eclipse and it's been raining for 5 days straight here, with no sign of the sky. Hopefully the clouds will clear up!

Marnath
2010-12-21, 02:19 AM
It's too cloudy here for me to see anything except the massive light polution reflecting back off the clouds from town, about 12 miles away. I NEVER get to see any of the cool astral phenomena. :smallmad:

Lord_Gareth
2010-12-21, 02:43 AM
I have just witnessed something that I will never experience again in my lifetime. I am profoundly moved by the glories of nature.

I'm...I'm actually crying a little.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 02:48 AM
and on the solstice too

i saw lunitari tonight and i am happy

edit: here's a pic it's from my lame phone so i saturated it and increased contrast so you can see it
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/CynicalAvocado/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo577-1.jpg

Marnath
2010-12-21, 02:52 AM
and on the solstice too

i saw lunitari tonight and i am happy

At least you didn't see Nuitari, so there's hope for you yet. :smallwink:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 02:55 AM
At least you didn't see Nuitari, so there's hope for you yet. :smallwink:

but Nuitari isnt visible unless you... waitaminute, i see what you did there:smalltongue:

Quincunx
2010-12-21, 02:56 AM
It's. . .dawn. Yay Europe.

Demon 997
2010-12-21, 03:00 AM
I saw bits of it tonight, while standing outside texting my now girlfriend. We're back together and it time almost perfectly with the eclipse and the return of the sun. :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 03:14 AM
you know, spending an hour and a half in a tree staring at the sky felt right.... it would have been better if i was with someone else:smallsigh:

EDIT: almost accidentaly hanging my self with my scarf wasn't good:smallannoyed:

Galileo
2010-12-21, 04:33 AM
Man, that was pretty. I'm quite glad I saw it, and that it's summer, so I don't have the problem of being cold while seeing it.

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-21, 04:44 AM
Oh hey look, according to that map up there, I get to watch the moon rise just after it's left the penumbra completely! Whoo! Go me! :smallbiggrin:

:annoyed:

Eldan
2010-12-21, 05:03 AM
It's not only in the middle of the day, but we also have total cloud cover. Yay. :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-21, 05:04 AM
I saw it. The moon was all red. Clearly I must conquer it with a Freeze Ray!

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-21, 09:38 AM
It was pretty cool. I got some blurry pictures of it. My camera's not that good at taking pictures of celestial bodies.

Helanna
2010-12-21, 11:05 AM
In my area the sky was a bit cloudy, but you could still see the full moon, and it gave it a really creepy and eerie effect . . . right up until about half an hour before the eclipse started, whereupon the entire sky became a solid blanket of gray. :smallsigh:

Flickerdart
2010-12-21, 11:20 AM
Got to see the full eclipse, but not meteor showers. Lame.

JET73L
2010-12-21, 11:25 AM
We had total cloud cover, horizon to horizon, where I am. It's just as well, as standing around outside in the cold air would likely have exacerbated my being ill.

Edit: I had not heard that there would be a meteor shower, wherever that was. 'tis saddening that I could not see that, either.

Syka
2010-12-21, 11:55 AM
I alllmost went to bed, after trying to stay up. Ended up talking to Oz for a bit and realized it was getting close to the total eclipse phase. Decided to bundle up (jacket, shirt, fleece pajama pants...and sandals, lol) and stumble outside half asleep. I was thiiiis close to mumbling threats to Oz for urging me out of my wonderfully warm bed.

Woke my mom up to let her know I was going out for a minute and she wanted to come with me.

We saw it right before it went to full eclipse. Much of the moon was a beautiful blood red, with a pure silver sliver at the bottom. It was amazingly beautiful. I am very glad I got to see it.

After 45 seconds of awe, I ran back inside with my feet freezing. >>

Keld Denar
2010-12-21, 12:12 PM
Silly Tribble, don't you know that staring at the moon makes you crazy? Where do you think the term "lunacy" comes from.

At least this explains things we all assumed, but could never put words to...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-21, 12:39 PM
Never got to see the thing after the initial red edge of the beginning. It was crueler than if I had never seen anything. Got my hopes up :smallsigh:

Silly Tribble, don't you know that staring at the moon makes you crazy? Where do you think the term "lunacy" comes from.
*bites your big toe and refuses to let go*

Keld Denar
2010-12-21, 12:46 PM
*gently pats* Who's a fierce little Tribble? Who's a big scary fierce Tribble? You are! You are! You are such a good little scary mean Tribble! D'aawwwwwwww!!!!

golentan
2010-12-21, 01:38 PM
Sitting basically at ground zero. It. Was. Gorgeous.

I loved right before the final bit of occlusion particularly. It looked like a little column of light coming off the moon.:smallbiggrin:

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-21, 02:00 PM
Watched it all night, till it was nearly normal again. The clouds weren't too much of an issue where I was.

Orzel
2010-12-21, 02:45 PM
Saw it.

Now I can't go an hour without running into crazy people.
:smallfrown: :smallfurious:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 04:24 PM
Now I can't go an hour without running into crazy people.
:smallfrown: :smallfurious:

why is this?

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-21, 04:38 PM
I missed it :smallfrown: Cursed school!

But my dad saw it. I really hope he got a picture, at least.

THAC0
2010-12-21, 06:51 PM
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/hlm184/eclipse035.jpg

Awesomeness. The clouds cleared enough for us to see the full eclipse, though there was a bank on the northern horizon that kept me from having a chance at eclipse+northern lights.

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-21, 07:50 PM
-the moon-

Awesomeness. The clouds cleared enough for us to see the full eclipse, though there was a bank on the northern horizon that kept me from having a chance at eclipse+northern lights.

You and your clear skies :smallannoyed: Cool though.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 08:02 PM
ya know it was almost like a post apocalyptic nightwhere i was, no one was on the roads and everything had an abandoned look to it cause everyone was in their backyards

Kneenibble
2010-12-21, 08:12 PM
Blastings and imprecations. I wish I had known about this; normally I peek outside at the moon every night, and the one night something crazy happens I'm wretchedly ill and go to bed before midnight.

Why didn't any of you tell me sooner. Why.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 08:19 PM
Blastings and imprecations. I wish I had known about this; normally I peek outside at the moon every night, and the one night something crazy happens I'm wretchedly ill and go to bed before midnight.

Why didn't any of you tell me sooner. Why.

i mentioned it in RB yesterday

Kneenibble
2010-12-21, 08:23 PM
i mentioned it in RB yesterday

A PM would have been more considerate.

THAC0
2010-12-21, 08:40 PM
A little time with photoshop yields the following:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/hlm184/LunarEclipse.jpg

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-21, 08:43 PM
so apparently the bigass halo around the moon was the earth's actual shadow, i think

JET73L
2010-12-21, 10:45 PM
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/hlm184/eclipse035.jpg

Shiny :mitd: So many people, myself included, curse the wretched cloud cover with its poor timing.