PDA

View Full Version : Pyromancer-esque

Rasman
2010-12-21, 05:53 AM
I'm looking to build a 16th level character that his big pony trick is Fire spells. For fluff reasons his Somatic components would literally be him snapping his fingers and the spells being the result of sparks being created by his gloves.

I've heard about a Pyromancer class, but after a day or so searching, I can't find squat other than a Psionic class that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

I may just be looking at this in the wrong light though. My other consideration is that I could just have a Sorcerer that specializes in fire spells and gets a lot of casts because of it.

So, in short, I'm looking for both information and opinion about where i could find this class or whether there is a better way to build it.

Ernir
2010-12-21, 08:58 AM
There is the Silver Flame Pyromancer, from Five Nations. Is that what you're looking for? It's not terribly powerful, but it does get the very important ability that is burning things that can't be burned (and Paladin spell access, which is awesome).
Slightly hard to get into as a Sorcerer, though. And it requires Lawful Goodness, which isn't everyone's cup'o tea.

For a less morally white concept, how about just a Warlock going into Hellfire Warlock?

true_shinken
2010-12-21, 09:40 AM
For fluff reasons his Somatic components would literally be him snapping his fingers and the spells being the result of sparks being created by his gloves.
Roy Mustang called, he wants his shtick back. :smallamused:

I've heard about a Pyromancer class, but after a day or so searching, I can't find squat other than a Psionic class that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
Sorcerer with fire spells works fine. Alternatives:
Hellfire Warlock - fire so hot it ignores resistance/immunity. Unfortunately, there is the whole devil thin, Con damage and the like.
Sanctified One of Kord - You only need a single level. What you want is holy fire - now your fire spells are holy and also ignore resistance/immunity.
Check out the Mailman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) for ideas on direct damage sorcerers.

Psyren
2010-12-21, 09:49 AM
I would probably adapt the Frost Mage to a fire version, or maybe use the Wild Mage and give it a fiery tinge to represent the element's uncontrollability.

druid91
2010-12-21, 10:01 AM
Just take the feat searing spell. It makes your fire so hot that even things with immunity take half damage. it also burns right through resistance like it wasn't there.

Psyx
2010-12-21, 10:38 AM
Searing spell has already been mentioned.

I'll also big-up Ca****e Elementalist at this point: Adds fire spells to your spells known (not sure if Sorcs can take it, or if it's wiz only though) and it makes oyur fireballs go up to ELEVEN!

EDIT: Eh...? Cash...ite, then.

druid91
2010-12-21, 01:24 PM
Searing spell has already been mentioned.

I'll also big-up Ca****e Elementalist at this point: Adds fire spells to your spells known (not sure if Sorcs can take it, or if it's wiz only though) and it makes oyur fireballs go up to ELEVEN!

EDIT: Eh...? Cash...ite, then.

What? no it hasn't. Unless it's in that mailman thing.

EDIT: I just checked, it wasn't.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-21, 01:31 PM
There is an Elemental Savant from the Complete Arcane. All your spells with an elemental descriptor become fire spells. You could also take the Eschew Materials feat and so you would have mostly just Somatic and Verbal components.

Rasman
2010-12-21, 04:28 PM
Roy Mustang called, he wants his shtick back. :smallamused:

busted...

but blame what's in my sig for giving me the idea...not to mention to desire to go around screaming about Tiny Miniskirts...

Sorcerer with fire spells works fine. Alternatives:
Hellfire Warlock - fire so hot it ignores resistance/immunity. Unfortunately, there is the whole devil thin, Con damage and the like.
Sanctified One of Kord - You only need a single level. What you want is holy fire - now your fire spells are holy and also ignore resistance/immunity.
Check out the Mailman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) for ideas on direct damage sorcerers.

the Mailman is kind of what I'm looking for, but I've tried the Arcane Spellsurge trick with this DM already and he says that in Pathfinder that Sorcerers don't apply the "Full Round Cast" to Metamagiced spells. So I'd have to find spells that were full round casts to go with what I want.

Just take the feat searing spell. It makes your fire so hot that even things with immunity take half damage. it also burns right through resistance like it wasn't there.

I'd thought about that, but I think I'll ask if I can have the Frostburn version for Cold spells just reworded for Fire. I seem to remember that it's better because it's worded differently...or is it the other way around...

There is the Silver Flame Pyromancer, from Five Nations. Is that what you're looking for? It's not terribly powerful, but it does get the very important ability that is burning things that can't be burned (and Paladin spell access, which is awesome).
Slightly hard to get into as a Sorcerer, though. And it requires Lawful Goodness, which isn't everyone's cup'o tea.

For a less morally white concept, how about just a Warlock going into Hellfire Warlock?

actually sounds REALLY interesting, but my campaign setting makes it kinda hard considering the type of organization we belong to

AslanCross
2010-12-21, 05:34 PM
If your DM is okay with adapting classes to a setting, Silver Pyromancer might still have a chance. I think its biggest problem is not its fluff but that it requires Turn Undead, so you have to be a cleric or paladin.