PDA

View Full Version : Tarquin is ambidextrous

Ashadar
2010-12-21, 01:02 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I found it interesting that in the battle of Elan vs Tarquin, Elan always keeps his rapier in his right hand, while Tarquin keeps switching the dagger between his hands.

As you can see in this link (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0761.html) , Tarquin starts with his dagger in the 6th panel, only to switch it in the 8th panel and then switch it back to his right hand in the 11th panel.

I know it's of no relevance to the plot, but I'm just laying this out there as one of the many things that make Tarquin so badass :smallbiggrin: .

Occasional Sage
2010-12-21, 02:47 PM
Nice catch!

From a strict rules perspective (and I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong), I don't think 3.5 cares if you use left, right, or both; the rules only care if you use both together.

Kinda like, "There are no rules for tummy-aches!"

Dr.Epic
2010-12-23, 03:34 PM
Okay. I don't see the big deal. I don't see a situation where this fact is going to be a big deal other than him losing a hand or him wield two weapons at the same time.

Leecros
2010-12-23, 04:04 PM
Okay. I don't see the big deal. I don't see a situation where this fact is going to be a big deal other than him losing a hand or him wield two weapons at the same time.

but....but....If handedness is hereditary(its only a theory) then if Tarquin is ambidextrous then there's a small chance that Elan is(of course the chances of two left-handed people producing a left-handed person is only 27%, this liklihood is very low). And if Elan gets his hand cut off then being magically ambidextrous thanks to his father could save THE OMNIVERSE!

yes that theory is way out there...

Dr.Epic
2010-12-23, 04:08 PM
but....but....If handedness is hereditary(its only a theory) then if Tarquin is ambidextrous then there's a small chance that Elan is(of course the chances of two left-handed people producing a left-handed person is only 27%, this liklihood is very low). And if Elan gets his hand cut off then being magically ambidextrous thanks to his father could save THE OMNIVERSE!

yes that theory is way out there...

Well if it's 27% I doubt it will happen. Now one in a million odds...that seems like a sure thing.

Zeful
2010-12-23, 04:10 PM
Well if it's 27% I doubt it will happen. Now one in a million odds...that seems like a sure thing.

So all of Elan's kids will be Thri-keen?

That's a one in a million chance.

Keinnicht
2010-12-23, 04:38 PM
So all of Elan's kids will be Thri-keen?

That's a one in a million chance.

I am certain that the chances are far, far lower than one in a million.

Cizak
2010-12-23, 07:37 PM

I know it's of no relevance to the plot, but I'm just laying this out there as one of the many things that make Tarquin so badass :smallbiggrin: . ten characters

Keinnicht
2010-12-23, 07:41 PM
Nice catch!

From a strict rules perspective (and I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong), I don't think 3.5 cares if you use left, right, or both; the rules only care if you use both together.

Kinda like, "There are no rules for tummy-aches!"

Is the term "off hand" still used in the TWF rules? If it is, that suggests it does matter. It suggests your character has a dominant hand and a submis-ahem, nondominant hand.

Occasional Sage
2010-12-24, 01:08 AM
Yeah, but since the dominant hand is never specified you can swap it around. ;-)

Seriously: TWF is the only place off-hand penalties are mentioned. If you're using a one-handed weapon alone, there's no penalty for using your submissive hand. Just ask anybody who's had a swordfight while swinging through the rigging of two ships chasing the villain!

silvadel
2010-12-24, 03:05 AM
Actually if haley is part dragon then the odds of their kid being dragon-prominent is probably in that 1 in a million range.

Ashadar
2010-12-24, 07:59 AM
I just noticed something else. :smallbiggrin:

When everyone started talking about "ambidextrousness" being inherited from father to son, I was curious to see what hand Nale used to hold his sword. So i looked for the comic where the twins fight for the first time. From what we can see here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html) Nale is left handed, while Elan is obviously right handed.

At first I thought it's all a coincidence, but then I realized that it's actually quite logical if you think about it. Since Nale is the opposite twin, he might as well be left handed, and since each son uses another hand to fight, their father might as well be ambidextrous.

Again, this is highly unlikely to carry any weight other than a nice symmetry effect but still, it's pretty nifty. :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2010-12-24, 10:31 AM
In panel 9, Elan tumbles past Nale- and all of a sudden, he's holding his rapier left-handed.

I'm inclined to say that it has nothing to do with handedness, and more to do with the Giant's artistic style. The character's bodies always face generally towards the reader, so the arm that would be away from the viewer if it were a side-view is the arm that appears to be forward. It looks better if the weapon is in that hand, as opposed to having the other arm reach across the body.

HalfTangible
2010-12-24, 10:38 AM
In panel 9, Elan tumbles past Nale- and all of a sudden, he's holding his rapier left-handed.

I'm inclined to say that it has nothing to do with handedness, and more to do with the Giant's artistic style. The character's bodies always face generally towards the reader, so the arm that would be away from the viewer if it were a side-view is the arm that appears to be forward. It looks better if the weapon is in that hand, as opposed to having the other arm reach across the body.

And then Tarquin holds it in the arm that appears to be backwards... er... the other...

*sigh* ok, it moves from the arm that appears to be on our right (the one closer to elan) to the one on the left (the one further) in several panels, and Elan keeps it in the same hand (his right) through most of the battle. Does that make sense?

T.H. Everything
2010-12-24, 10:45 AM
If the fact that his dagger switches hands was important, the swapping would be shown.
Of course, now that you've brought it up, the Giant will probably make it canonical.:smallcool:

Lateral
2010-12-24, 10:49 AM
And then Tarquin holds it in the arm that appears to be backwards... er... the other...

*sigh* ok, it moves from the arm that appears to be on our right (the one closer to elan) to the one on the left (the one further) in several panels, and Elan keeps it in the same hand (his right) through most of the battle. Does that make sense?

Huh, you're correct. However, he didn't do anything like that in comic 61, where Elan fought Nale, and that's what I was referring to.

I'm still inclined to say that the Giant draws the weapon in the hand which it looks best in, given the character's current pose, though.

Ashadar
2010-12-24, 12:15 PM
I'm still inclined to say that the Giant draws the weapon in the hand which it looks best in, given the character's current pose, though.

I believe we are both wrong actually. I've checked Nale and Elan's other fight, and throughout the duel they both keep changing their dominant hand, even when Nale holds the dagger in a hand that does not "look best given the character's current pose" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0393.html) .

Clearly ambidextrousness is an ereditary feat, and it might just be the ace in the hole they need to defeat the Snarl in their final battle. If you do not wish to be irreversibly spoiled do not read the previous sentence!

Morph Bark
2010-12-24, 05:45 PM

"I am not left handed"? :smallamused:

JoeSkull
2010-12-24, 08:30 PM

I know something you do not know... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zvffHu_wo)

Maximum Zersk
2010-12-24, 08:39 PM
I know something you do not know... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zvffHu_wo)

What, that mgm has blocked content from my country?

mootoall
2010-12-24, 09:05 PM

Damn you, you beat me to it!

Leecros
2010-12-24, 10:48 PM
What, that mgm has blocked content from my country?

well, it IS important to know what companies block content from which country

Ashadar
2010-12-26, 03:07 PM
I know something you do not know...

Ok seriously now, what was that video on youtube about. Because if you wanted to show us MgM isn't left handed.. well.. point proven i guess..

Strife Warzeal
2010-12-27, 01:35 PM
Ok seriously now, what was that video on youtube about. Because if you wanted to show us MgM isn't left handed.. well.. point proven i guess..

Fight scene in the movie "Princess Bride", they are quoting lines from it.