PDA

View Full Version : To master magic, it must be shattered [3.5 base class, very WIP]

Cheesy74
2010-12-21, 04:20 PM
MONSOON

"Our souls are weapons of a thousand pieces. To leave a weapon unused is to insult its worth. To abuse a weapon is to destroy it. In this balance sit the monsoons." - Creed of the Monsoon

Monsoons are born with the same magical gift as sorcerers, but due to a chance encounter or active recruitment by a school, learn to abandon the rigid structure of magic, fragmenting the power within their souls to use as a weapon in itself.

Hit Die: d6
Skill Points: 2 + Int
Class Skills: [TBA]
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features|Maximum Fragments|Fragments Recovered
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Arcane Fragments, Fragment Launch|5|1
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Fragment of Power|10|1
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Splinter Soul, Infuse Fragments I|15|2
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Fragment of Power|20|2
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Levitation|25|3
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Fragment of Power|30|3
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Infuse Fragments II|35|4
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Fragment of Power|40|4
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Natural Replenishment|45|5
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Fragment of Power|50|5
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Infuse Fragments III|55|6
12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Fragment of Power|60|6
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8||65|7
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Fragment of Power|70|7
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Infuse Fragments IV|75|8
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Fragment of Power|80|8
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10||85|9
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Fragment of Power|90|9
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Infuse Fragments V|95|10
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Fragment of Power, Arcane Monsoon|100|10[/table]
Armor Proficiencies: Monsoons are proficient with light armor and simple weapons. While fragmented magic is not hindered the same way that arcane gestures are by heavy armor, most monsoons rely on their whirlwinds for defense rather than armor.

Arcane Fragments (Su): The Monsoon is constantly surrounded by a number of tiny slivers of magic, kept in whirling motion around her by mental effort. The Monsoon can maintain up to five of these per Monsoon level plus twice their charisma modifier at once, and may reform a number of fragments according to the Fragments Recovered column plus half their charisma modifier as a move action once per turn. These fragments are incredibly sharp and harm foes when the Monsoon is attacked. Whenever the monsoon is hit in melee, up to one shard per two Monsoon levels lodges itself into the enemy (no save), dealing 1d4 piercing damage per shard and consuming that many shards from the monsoon's whirlwind. All damage dealt by fragments is considered magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Fragment Launch (Su): The Monsoon can launch her arcane fragments at foes. As a single ranged touch attack, she may launch up to one arcane fragment per two Monsoon levels at her target, dealing 1d6 piercing damage per shard. The full volley of shards also deals extra damage equal to the monsoon's dexterity modifier. The target must be within medium range. If the Monsoon is capable of iterative attacks, she may launch multiple sets of fragments with a full attack.

Splinter Soul (Su): As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the Monsoon may splinter her soul, sending a massive burst of fragments into the torrent surrounding her. This adds up to four times the Monsoon's charisma modifier worth of fragments to her pool. If the monsoon has Natural Replenishment, it is suppressed for this turn. If she performs this action, she may not take or have taken a 5-foot step in the same turn.

Fragment of Power: Each time the Monsoon gains this she may choose a power from the Fragment of Power list. She must meet all prerequisites for the power. All saves associated with Fragment of Power abilities have a DC of 10+half Monsoon level+cha modifier. All Fragment of Power abilities are supernatural unless otherwise noted.

Levitation (Su): The Monsoon gains the ability to float slowly, gaining a fly speed of 10 ft (good maneuverability), increasing by 5 feet per Monsoon level beyond level 5, to a maximum of 50 feet at level 13.

Infuse Fragments (Su): Whenever the Monsoon gains this ability, she may choose one option from the listed tier or any below it. She gains the option to give her fragments this effect (and any other infusions she knows) as a move action. Fragments may only deal one type of damage at a time.
I: Frags deal bludgeoning damage, frags deal slashing damage
II: Frags deal fire damage, frags deal cold damage, frags deal electricity damage
III: Frags treated as adamantine, frags treated as cold iron, frags treated as silver
IV: Frags deal force damage, frags deal sonic damage, frags deal acid damage
V: Frags affect creatures on the shadow plane as if on material plane, frags affect creatures on the ethereal plane as if on material plane

Natural Replenishment (Su): At level 9, the monsoon may no longer take move actions to reform fragments, and instead automatically reforms the base amount at the end of the monsoon's turn.

Arcane Monsoon (Su): As a full-round action once per day, all the shards in the Monsoon's whirlwind expand into a 30-foot radius emanation around the Monsoon, skewering every enemy in range with as many shards as possible. All available shards in the whirlwind are split evenly among the targets available (max 30 per target), dealing 1d6 damage each plus twice the monsoon's charisma modifier (DC 20 + cha mod reflex half). The monsoon may concentrate to maintain this power with a full-round action on her turn. While the power is maintained, her recharge rate is doubled. The damage and shard expenditure takes place at the beginning of the monsoon's turn every time the power is renewed.

Fragment of Power:
Crystalline Shielding: The shards surrounding the Monsoon's body collect around her form, forming interlocking crystalline armor. As a swift action, the Monsoon can form part of her whirlwind around her body, allocating up to two shards per monsoon level to her armor. This gives a +1 to her armor AC per four shards allocated to the armor. Shards forming armor are considered reserved and cannot be replenished until the armor is dismantled, returning the fragments to her whirlwind, as a swift action.

Spray of Fragments: As a standard action, the Monsoon may send out a burst of fragments (up to two per monsoon level, max 15d6) in a 60-foot cone, dealing 1d6 piercing damage per two fragments (reflex half).

Crystal Whip: As a standard action, the monsoon may collect fragments into an enormous whip that she smashes downward on her foes. This deals 1d6 piercing damage per two fragments expended (up to two per monsoon level, max 15d6) in a 120-foot line (reflex half).

Arcane Mine: As a standard action, the monsoon may pull fragments into a tight spear that she implants into the ground far away (within long range). This spear is visible normally, and explodes in a 30-foot burst dealing 1d6 piercing damage per two fragments expended (up to two per monsoon level, max 20d6) (reflex half) whenever anything approaches within 10 feet of it. Until the spear is burst, the fragments used in it are considered reserved and cannot be replenished. The monsoon may, however, harmlessly dissipate the shards in the mine, removing them from her whirlwind entirely, as a swift action.

Refocus Whirlwind: As a standard action, the monsoon may refocus her whirlwind around an ally within 60 feet, granting them the whirlwind's damage shield but removing it from the monsoon. She may still use her powers normally, but they originate from the ally instead of the monsoon. She may return the whirlwind to herself with another standard action.

Crystalline Barrier (Requires Refocus Whirlwind): As a standard action, the monsoon may shape fragments into a wall, using up to twice her monsoon level at once. This wall must be a flat plane with an area no more than one ten foot square per five fragments within it. The wall has a hardness of 6 and 2 HP per fragment used. The wall cannot have any breaks and must be contiguous. The fragments used are considered reserved and cannot be regenerated until the wall is dismantled, wasting the shards, as a swift action.

-------------------------------------

The general idea of this class is to make a ranged damage dealer that's a middle ground between a point system like psionics and invocations like warlocks and DFAs. I'm currently looking for structuring ideas, balance commentary, suggestions for Fragments of Power abilities, and ideas for the dead levels at levels 13, and 17.

Guidelines:
Fragments of Power: Should have some way of scaling shards used with monsoon level. Battlefield control is good. Defense and support are needed. Utility, especially utility that allows for battlefield creativity (like Refocus Whirlwind), would be fantastic.

Dead levels: These should be along the power level of Fragments of Power, but have a more general feel. That is, this should be something that every Monsoon could be expected to learn.

Personal commentary: I'm considering splitting Fragments of Power into tiers to simplify level requirements and allow for more powerful abilities, but I'll need a lot more before this is viable. Ideas for the cutoff points for tiers?

The Antigamer
2010-12-22, 02:44 AM
Lets get to it!

First the fluff:

Monsoons are born with the same magical gift as sorcerers, but due to a chance encounter or active recruitment by a school, learn to abandon the rigid structure of magic, fragmenting the power within their souls to use as a weapon in itself.
Sorcerers aren't really that known for rigid magic it seems to me...

reforms a number of fragments at the end of each turn according to the Fragments Recovered column in the Monsoon class table. In addition, the Monsoon regains a number of shards equal to half her charisma modifier at the end of their turn.
Maybe change this to read "reforms a number of fragments at the end of each turn according to the Fragments Recovered column in the Monsoon class table, plus a number of shards equal to half her charisma modifier."

Fragment Launch: The Monsoon can launch her arcane fragments at foes. As a single ranged touch attack, she may launch up to one arcane fragment per Monsoon level at her target, dealing 1d6 slashing damage per shard plus the Monsoon's dexterity modifier. The target must be within medium range. If the Monsoon is capable of iterative attacks, she may launch multiple sets of fragments with a full attack.
So let's crunch some numbers. With just this, a 20th level Monsoon, with say 22 dex, could deal three ranged touch attacks of 20d6+120 damage each, for a total of 60d6+360. And she hasn't even lost the ability to continue doing so, she still has at least 50 + 1/2 cha fragments. That seems overpowered a bit. I would either drop the dex damage, or drop the damage dice down. And possibly have the dice amount max drop for each iterative attack.

Splinter Soul: As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the Monsoon may splinter her soul, sending a massive burst of fragments into the torrent surrounding her. This adds up to four times the Monsoon's charisma modifier worth of fragments to her pool.
I feel like this should hurt the Monsoon somehow.

Levitation: The Monsoon gains the ability to float slowly, gaining a fly speed of 10 ft (good maneuverability), increasing by 5 feet per two Monsoon levels beyond level 5.

Too soon, but otherwise ok. I have to ask though, why? How does it tie into the fragment theme?

Infuse Fragments: Whenever the Monsoon gains this ability, she may choose one option from the listed tier or any below it. She gains the option to give her fragments this effect.
This needs to take an action, and have a recharge rate, like the soulknife's enhancement ability. Also, how many can be stacked at one time?

Arcane Monsoon: As a full-round action once per day, all the shards in the Monsoon's whirlwind expand into a 30-foot radius emanation around the Monsoon, skewering every enemy in range with as many shards as possible. All available shards in the whirlwind are split evenly among the targets available (max 30 per target), dealing 1d6 damage each plus twice the monsoon's charisma modifier (DC 20 + cha mod reflex half).
Ok as a capstone, but

The monsoon may concentrate to maintain this power with a standard action on her turn. While the power is maintained, her recharge rate is doubled. The damage and shard expenditure takes place at the beginning of the monsoon's turn every time the power is renewed.
What does this mean? She stands there and continues spewing shards that she regains? Since her recharge rate is quadrupled, she'll be regaining over the max amount she can deal to an individual creature with the ability every round. I feel maintaining it, if you keep it, should be very draining, maybe even con burn level of draining.

Fragment powers:
Crystalline Shielding seems ok.
Spray of Fragments and Crystal Whip would be ok with a recharge rate.
Arcane Mine I'm...unsure about. Maybe it's ok?
Refocus Whirlwind, I really dislike. No one is going to want you using it for them, and an evil Monsoon will be coercing her companions with it.
Crystalline Barrier needs wall stats. Is it like a wall of force? Of Iron?

Overall, interesting, but overpowered.
Maybe have, instead of regaining fragments automatically, especially at first, it takes an action to regain the recover rate, starting as a move action and going to a swift action.
Also, having it deal piercing damage as a base instead of slashing, making it weak against undead, is an idea.
You also need to mark abilities as SU or EX.

Cheesy74
2010-12-22, 07:19 AM
Lets get to it!

First the fluff:

Sorcerers aren't really that known for rigid magic it seems to me...

Maybe change this to read "reforms a number of fragments at the end of each turn according to the Fragments Recovered column in the Monsoon class table, plus a number of shards equal to half her charisma modifier."

Alright, sure. I can rewrite that.

So let's crunch some numbers. With just this, a 20th level Monsoon, with say 22 dex, could deal three ranged touch attacks of 20d6+120 damage each, for a total of 60d6+360. And she hasn't even lost the ability to continue doing so, she still has at least 50 + 1/2 cha fragments. That seems overpowered a bit. I would either drop the dex damage, or drop the damage dice down. And possibly have the dice amount max drop for each iterative attack.
The dex damage only applies once, not to every shard. I may drop this power to half your level in shards or make it a normal, non-touch attack.

I feel like this should hurt the Monsoon somehow.

I think of it like using Adaptive Style as a swordsage. It doesn't hurt you, but the opportunity cost of wasting a round does.

Too soon, but otherwise ok. I have to ask though, why? How does it tie into the fragment theme?Really? Wizards can fly at level 5. When I first envisioned the class, I thought of someone floating in the air with a massive sea of spikes whirling around them in a sphere. This is the floating part.

This needs to take an action, and have a recharge rate, like the soulknife's enhancement ability. Also, how many can be stacked at one time? You can only do one damage type at a time, but you can add on the "treat as adamantine" and "affects a plane" effects freely. I figure I'll make it cost a move action to infuse as many effects as you want for a round. Good idea, thanks.

What does this mean? She stands there and continues spewing shards that she regains? Since her recharge rate is quadrupled, she'll be regaining over the max amount she can deal to an individual creature with the ability every round. I feel maintaining it, if you keep it, should be very draining, maybe even con burn level of draining.She continues to focus on the whirlwind, which is constantly augmented by new shards she's making, yeah.
The recharge rate is only doubled, giving 20+cha bonus shards per round, but I agree, there should be some sort of penalty for maintaining it. I may also make it affect allies in the whirlwind.

Fragment powers:
Crystalline Shielding seems ok.
Spray of Fragments and Crystal Whip would be ok with a recharge rate.
Arcane Mine I'm...unsure about. Maybe it's ok?
Refocus Whirlwind, I really dislike. No one is going to want you using it for them, and an evil Monsoon will be coercing her companions with it.
Crystalline Barrier needs wall stats. Is it like a wall of force? Of Iron?

Overall, interesting, but overpowered.
Maybe have, instead of regaining fragments automatically, especially at first, it takes an action to regain the recover rate, starting as a move action and going to a swift action.
Also, having it deal piercing damage as a base instead of slashing, making it weak against undead, is an idea.
You also need to mark abilities as SU or EX.
Swapping to Piercing when I get back from class, marking abilities. I'll probably change recharge to automatic as the level 9 ability, with it taking a move action before that.

I'll fix up Crystalline Barrier (which I initially envisioned as something similar to a wall of iron mechanics-wise) and maybe remove the dangerous portion of Refocus Whirlwind.

As for the AoE attacks, what I'll probably do, rather than give them a recharge, is double their shard limit (2 shards usable per level) but make it only do 1d6 damage per two shards. That makes it a lot more taxing on shard reserves to use AoEs over single-target abilities.

Hopefully with those changes it won't be so overpowered.

PersonMan
2010-12-22, 07:53 AM
I haven't looked at the class very much, but what comes up quickly is that you didn't bold the ability names or state what kind of ability(Ex, Su, SLA) they are.

The bolding is mostly nice for aesthetics/navigation, but labeling the abilities is pretty important.

Cheesy74
2010-12-22, 09:53 PM
UPDATED
-Bolded, added Supernatural/Extraordinary labels
-Clarified wording of Launch Fragments, limited to 1/2 level in fragments
-Doubled fragment cost of area-effect powers
-Changed Splinter Mind to limit movement, clarified that it replaces automatic regen.
-Clarified wording of Infuse Fragments, gave it a required action (move action), still no recharge time
-Removed damaging component of Refocus Whirlwind
-Changed all base damage to piercing damage
-Arcane Monsoon now requires a full-round action to maintain