PDA

View Full Version : Haley's speech problem.

lucasliso
2010-12-21, 08:30 PM
Is there anyplace I can find what Haley says during the time she has the whole speech problem where she says nothing but nonsense?

If not, has anyone been able to crack the code of what she says?

If so, please tell me in what forum thread or other place I can find out.

If nothing has been done or said about it, please continue reading. Otherwise don't.

I was able to do it for the strip number 309, but that's it.
The problem is that the letter's equivalences change from comic strip to comic strip. So the letters of comic 309, can't be used for other cases.

For the comic strip 309, fore example, Haley says the following:

Panel 3: Elan, I'm in love with you.

Panel 5: Elan, I'm in love with you. Completely in love. Love, love, love, love!

Panel 7: My dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator. I'm not really in the Thieves' Guild anymore.

Panel 9: I cheat at solitaire. I have a tattoo you've never seen. I kissed a girl once. OK, OK, more than once!

Panel 11: Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call--

As you can see, the pattern is completely random, and in fact some letters have more than one equivalence.

When Haley says a T, it can be either a K or an E.

On the other way arround, D can be either E or O when Haley talks, and N can be either W or I when Haley talks.

And, as I said before, this pattern does not repeat on other comic strips.
So, anyone had better luck than me?

JoeSkull
2010-12-21, 08:35 PM
yes, someone will come along with a link shortly...
hmm, it was me... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909)

lucasliso
2010-12-21, 09:41 PM
With some work I was able to figure out the first time Haley's speech is changed, on comic strip 247:

Mnbrvcnp!
Treasure!

Wiup! Rdd is fm, wiup!! F tru'm epdfpjp fm'v rdd wiup!
Gone All of it, Gone!! I can't believe it's all gone!

F wim prmpu eh r ynrwiu sin mqrm snprzfu' mnbrvcnp!
I got eaten by a dragon for that freakin' treasure!

F wim jiafmpy ck! Eh r yfvwcvmfuw rtfy-enprmqfuw ynrwiu! Ruy uix fm'v WIUP!
I got vomited u*! By a disgusting acid-breathing dragon! And now it's GONE!

Uim MQP diim, AH diim. Afup!
Not THE loot, MY loot. Mine!

Xrfm, xqh yi F vicuy scuuh? Qpddi? Qpddi?
Wait, why do I sound funny? Hello? Hello?

Xqrm? Ui! Yiu'm hic yrnp!
What? No! Don't you dare!

Vuprz rmmrtz eiim mi mqp srtp!
Sneak attack boot to the face!

Yrnu vmnrfwqm.
Darn straight.

The * is the only letter I wasn't able to figure out. My guess is P, but without more of them, it's just a logical guess.

Conuly
2010-12-21, 09:44 PM
Luckily for you, you don't have to struggle through anymore, because somebody has already posted a link to the relevant thread :)

lucasliso
2010-12-21, 09:49 PM
Luckily for you, you don't have to struggle through anymore, because somebody has already posted a link to the relevant thread :)

Oh darn... doing it was kind of fun. More fun than sudoku for sure.

lucasliso
2010-12-21, 09:51 PM
yes, someone will come along with a link shortly...
hmm, it was me... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909)

Very impressive.

May I ask what was the method for figuring it out?
I mean, I had a system for doing it myself, but I would like to know others as well. If its okay with revealing it, that is.

Swordpriest
2010-12-21, 09:53 PM
I always kind of wish that thread would get stickied. I even "reported it for stickying" once, if I recall correctly. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-21, 09:54 PM
It's linked to in the reoccurring threads sticky at the top of the subforum, that's pretty close to stickied.

JoeSkull
2010-12-21, 11:36 PM
Very impressive.

May I ask what was the method for figuring it out?
I mean, I had a system for doing it myself, but I would like to know others as well. If its okay with revealing it, that is.

i dont know for sure, i think it was just just figuring out the most popular letter/words and plugging them in until it made sense.

by all means continue if you wish.

weeping eagle
2010-12-22, 12:22 AM
May I ask what was the method for figuring it out?There's no secret to make it easy, just tricks - knowing common short words, letter frequency, context, and so on. Like a crossword, getting one word helps with other words, and eventually you've deciphered the whole thing. (I'm sure you used some of these techniques to decipher the first one, but you can get more pointers by googling "cryptogram strategies".)

If you haven't already read the answers, it's fun doing it yourself. At least, it was for me.

Conuly
2010-12-22, 12:29 AM

Well you certainly can if you want to :)

No reason only one person can ever scale Mount Everest, after all.

lucasliso
2010-12-23, 08:19 AM
Well you certainly can if you want to :)

No reason only one person can ever scale Mount Everest, after all.

Yes.
But now that I've seen the answers, it wouldn't be the same thing...

DaveMcW
2010-12-23, 11:00 AM
you can get more pointers by googling "cryptogram strategies".

Or if you're really lazy, "cryptogram solver".

lucasliso
2010-12-27, 11:40 AM
I've just noticed that the four letter word that Haley says in strip 250 has not been figured out (a reasonable outcome, since it's the only thing she says and therefore difficult to figure out)

Now, taking in consideration her facial expression and context, I think it's logical to assume that she's saying a curse word or insult at Miko. Said curse word or insult therefore has to follow the next two rules:
1- it has to be a four letter word with no repeated letters: Xdfw.
2- it has to be a curse word aimed to be used against a woman.

There is, as such, one word that would therefore fit perfectly in that description.
Now, before I continue, are we allowed to post curse words in this forum?

JoeSkull
2010-12-27, 11:52 AM
obviously she said #@*%.

Swordpriest
2010-12-27, 12:17 PM
It's linked to in the reoccurring threads sticky at the top of the subforum, that's pretty close to stickied.

Problem is, won't those threads eventually be deleted after they have gone unposted in for long enough? And since it's illegal to post in them (thread necromancy and all), aren't they inevitably doomed to vanish? :smallconfused:

Conuly
2010-12-27, 12:29 PM
I've just noticed that the four letter word that Haley says in strip 250 has not been figured out (a reasonable outcome, since it's the only thing she says and therefore difficult to figure out)

Now, taking in consideration her facial expression and context, I think it's logical to assume that she's saying a curse word or insult at Miko. Said curse word or insult therefore has to follow the next two rules:

There is, as such, one word that would therefore fit perfectly in that description.

1. No, we're not.
2. It can just be a general curse word, not a specific one. She might not be using a term that refers to Miko, that is. She might just be cursing.

Porthos
2010-12-27, 11:00 PM
As for the cryptogram in #250, here is what Rich had to say about the subject in the commentary for NCftPB:

The translation of this four-letter word is left to the imagination of the reader.

And, yes, the hypen was used in "four-letter word". :smallwink:

Lurk-Sothoth
2010-12-27, 11:17 PM

"Jerk?" :smalltongue: But since you have put me in mind of a true 4-Letter Word that could be used I'm grinning. It sounds very in-character.

Isn't there an "official" translation of Haley in one of the books? I have a couple of the books and I'll be embarrassed in it's in one that I own. I confess to not having read all of the bonus material and commentary.

Porthos
2010-12-27, 11:26 PM
Isn't there an "official" translation of Haley in one of the books? I have a couple of the books and I'll be embarrassed in it's in one that I own. I confess to not having read all of the bonus material and commentary.

"The translation of this four-letter word is left to the imagination of the reader."

That is as close to an answer as you're going to get. :smallwink:

grimbold
2010-12-30, 07:38 AM
well you guys got here faster than me
that thread is the answer to your problems though

weeping eagle
2010-12-30, 02:55 PM
Now, before I continue, are we allowed to post curse words in this forum?Right, the author can play coy and the readers can be naive, but it's pretty obvious what she's saying.

I think we can safely assume that Haley cusses like a sailor off-panel.

Forlong
2011-01-05, 09:14 PM
The Oracle said that it was in the trade paperback of the strip. Shell out 25 bucks for it. There's also some great bonus material in it.

There, Burlew, you got some free advertising from me. And it's only what? My second post? You owe me.

Borzag
2011-01-06, 12:40 AM
The Oracle said that it was in the trade paperback of the strip. Shell out 25 bucks for it. There's also some great bonus material in it.

There, Burlew, you got some free advertising from me. And it's only what? My second post? You owe me.

That was my plan as well but it's OOP.... yeah. I could buy it on eBay but then no moneys for Rich.

Ta for the link earlier poster!

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-06, 06:41 AM
Haley's cryptograms are 'solved' in the book they appear in - No Cure For the Paladin Blues.

That four-letter word isn't translated.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 12:54 PM
Haley's cryptograms are 'solved' in the book they appear in - No Cure For the Paladin Blues.
Half of them are. The other half are in War & XPs.

Forlong
2011-01-06, 01:24 PM

That four-letter word isn't translated.

You could always figure out the key to the cryptogram and translate it yourself.

Really, I don't think the translations were needed at all. She's pretty much saying what I always thought she was saying. The only surprising material in all of it is when she was trying to tell Elan all her deepest secrets.

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-06, 02:11 PM
You could always figure out the key to the cryptogram and translate it yourself.

Really, I don't think the translations were needed at all. She's pretty much saying what I always thought she was saying. The only surprising material in all of it is when she was trying to tell Elan all her deepest secrets.

They're there for people like me who suck at cryptograms.

DBear
2011-01-13, 08:56 PM

According to TV Tropes, it's "What" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat)

martianmister
2011-01-13, 08:59 PM
Jerk? :smallconfused:

Kish
2011-01-13, 09:12 PM
According to TV Tropes, it's "What" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat)
I'm going to skip the sarcasm and just observe that someone who cares about TVTropes' accuracy should really edit that before whoever put it there gets embarrassed in front of more people than have already seen it.