PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ork Power!

Kyouhen
2010-12-22, 01:02 AM
So I was just wondering, is it possible to get a character set up so he has the ability the Orks from Warhammer 40k have to make things work just by believing it does? A character who can say "I have red paint on me so I go faster" and actually go faster just because the paint is red? I've been trying to come up with ideas and the best I can think of would be a Warlock's decieve item ability and that class from Dragon Compendium that specializes in changing things into other things. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to pull this off? Static abilities or abilities that require little visible effort to use (like magic) would be preferable, since it fits better with the way Orks work.

dgnslyr
2010-12-22, 01:06 AM
My first guess for a warrior-type character with neat magic tricks would be a Psychic Warrior. You could run faster with Speed of Thought, and do other neat things using the power of your mind. But Orks get their strength because the entire race collectively believes, right, so I have no idea how that would work in 3.5. My knowledge on 40k is limited to the odd foray into their wiki, so I'm no expert.

poignant123
2010-12-22, 01:06 AM
Charlatans from Dragon Magazine get the power to do stuff by lying and all around BS.

Kyouhen
2010-12-22, 01:13 AM
My first guess for a warrior-type character with neat magic tricks would be a Psychic Warrior. You could run faster with Speed of Thought, and do other neat things using the power of your mind. But Orks get their strength because the entire race collectively believes, right, so I have no idea how that would work in 3.5. My knowledge on 40k is limited to the odd foray into their wiki, so I'm no expert.

Collective Ork power tends to result in really big warbosses and other large-scale anomolies. I don't necessarily need the large-scale things, I just need random little things that work when everything in the universe says it shouldn't. ("I can use this flint and steel to turn my mithral sword into a flaming sword!" "Ummm... I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Wait, why is it working that way?")

Voldecanter
2010-12-22, 01:16 AM
In the Deities and Demigods supplement "Alter Reality" is a salient ability for Gods listed within the book, this ability would be perfect for this character concept.

Loki Eremes
2010-12-22, 02:01 AM
Hate those greenskin suckers :smallmad:
Nothing personal dude, but i play WH40k and that ability is a huge WTF.

In the Deities and Demigods supplement "Alter Reality" is a salient ability for Gods listed within the book, this ability would be perfect for this character concept.

Thats pretty much what you want, but.. beware, demigod & gods templates do not bring up Level Adjustments, so there is a great posibility for your character to become overpowered.

Hate those 40k orks, dakka my (beep) and shotta my (beep), they thi(continues cursing for about the next hour)

dextercorvia
2010-12-22, 02:22 AM
Sounds like fluff reasons your character believes drives his abilities. I would say psionics is the best chassis for this -- no components.

knightMARE
2010-12-22, 07:35 AM
Psionic's would personally be my go-to for this aswell. For an entire tribe, I could see a few Society Mind's (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/society-mind) being in place, fits with the whole collective-orky-power thing

Duke of URL
2010-12-22, 11:07 AM
Sounds like fluff reasons your character believes drives his abilities. I would say psionics is the best chassis for this -- no components.

Yeah, I agree that this is just the "fluff" layered over the mechanics. Psionic warriors, warlocks, binders, and maybe (I lack experience here) incarnum users, all reflavored of course, might be reasonable mechanical choices to layer the fluff over. Kind of depends on what powers the character is going to gain from his/her "belief".