PDA

View Full Version : This Forum (It's a Great Place)

enigmatime
2010-12-22, 02:08 AM
Ya'know, I really love this place. I mean, sure, I could go to my friends for help, but they don't have a neutral standpoint. You guys don't know me, but I thank you. This site has kept me laughing through the hard times. I know posts like this are abit odd but I just want to give thanks where thanks is due. This place has helped me through that bout of depression I just rose out of. So, thank you all. This is one of the happiest places on the internets.

How many times have I sent people here for help when I could not help them further? Many times. Sure, professionals are nice, but they don't have the same neutral standpoint (or freeness).

Any thoughts? How many of you have come here first before anything else? Well, not counting the people you're very close to, of course.

Skeppio
2010-12-22, 02:10 AM
Aww, thanks. I agree, this forum is an amazing place. :smallsmile:

thorgrim29
2010-12-22, 02:46 AM
I love this place.... Wish I could forget about it when I have an exam in 6 hours and I'm not nearly ready, but that's almost pathologic procrastination for you...

But seriously, this is a great place, half of the books/shows/games I read/watched/played in the last 4 years I heard about here, the debates are often interesting, from the silly vs threads to deep philosophical ponderings, and the community is full of helpful folks who collectively can answer most of the questions you may have, or at least lend a compassionate Eshoulder to cry on.

Now, back to Advanced financial accounting for me!:sigh:

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-22, 02:52 AM
Yes it is! The games are good! The people kind!

I owe a lot to the kind people helping me with my problems... :)

Raistlin1040
2010-12-22, 04:25 AM
This video is related. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0&feature=channel)

enigmatime
2010-12-22, 04:18 PM
Seriously, I have never seen a friendlier place on the internet. Sure, there are abunch of rules and guidelines, but people here seem more readily accepting of the rules (most of the time). Also, Roland is awesome (I think his birthday is coming up... Hmm) because, not only does he do his job, but he also talks on threads without the red text. I dunno, maybe it's just the mind control but... I can't stay off of GiTP. :smallsmile:

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-22, 04:29 PM
Seriously, I have never seen a friendlier place on the internet. Sure, there are abunch of rules and guidelines, but people here seem more readily accepting of the rules (most of the time). Also, Roland is awesome (I think his birthday is coming up... Hmm) because, not only does he do his job, but he also talks on threads without the red text. I dunno, maybe it's just the mind control but... I can't stay off of GiTP. :smallsmile:

Of course it's the min- there is no mind control. I will go back to my fun.

Prime32
2010-12-22, 04:35 PM
Seriously, I have never seen a friendlier place on the internet. Sure, there are abunch of rules and guidelines, but people here seem more readily accepting of the rules (most of the time). Also, Roland is awesome (I think his birthday is coming up... Hmm) because, not only does he do his job, but he also talks on threads without the red text. I dunno, maybe it's just the mind control but... I can't stay off of GiTP. :smallsmile:Don't take offense, but threads like this make me twitch - it feels like attacking the other friendly places on the Internet. I wouldn't say that people are always accepting of the rules - there's a reason GitP needs so many mods...

(I'm a mod at BG and I talk without red text all the time :smallfrown:)

enigmatime
2010-12-22, 04:42 PM
Don't take offense, but threads like this make me twitch - it feels like attacking the other friendly places on the Internet. I wouldn't say that people are always accepting of the rules - there's a reason GitP needs so many mods...

(I'm a mod at BG and I talk without red text all the time :smallfrown:)

Well, I didn't say that there aren't friendlier places, I just said that I haven't seen a friendlier place. Sorry, no harm meant!

Elfin
2010-12-22, 04:43 PM
That it is. :smallsmile:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-12-22, 05:19 PM
Oh, you flatter me. Really? Oh, why I... hold on, the forum as a whole? Very well, I suppose I must agree with you.

(One day... :smalltongue:)

Moff Chumley
2010-12-22, 09:32 PM
Oh, one of these threads? Is it that time of year again? :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-12-22, 11:06 PM
Yeah, this is a great place. Here's to another year of Gitp!*Takes notes as to who is sufficiently obescient*

arguskos
2010-12-23, 01:08 AM
Yeah, this is a great place. Here's to another year of Gitp!*Takes notes as to who is sufficiently obescient*
Yes master, we hear and obey. :smalltongue:

Drakevarg
2010-12-23, 01:15 AM
This video is related. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0&feature=channel)

This is relevent to your interests. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOsylvrwo3I)

Long live the Playground!

Lady Moreta
2010-12-23, 03:00 AM
I will say - this place surprised me with the level of care and friendship shown despite such a big population. I am a member of another forum that frequently shows the same level of care and compassion between members, but that forum is much smaller and we have a small core group that have known each other on and off-line for years. Finding that same feeling in such a large membership was a very pleasant surprise :smallsmile:

littlekKID
2010-12-23, 03:42 AM
agree, The Playground is one of my favorite sites (t's 2# place, in fact :smallsmile:) the people are awesome, the topics are awesome and the awesomeness is awesome

Totally Guy
2010-12-23, 05:53 AM
I feel like Grumpy Smurf here because I don't feel this place is particularly nice.

I feel frustrated because whenever I try to join in I get routinely ignored or misunderstood. The prejudices of this forum upset me too.

The UK group that does the meet ups has been good to me and they encouraged me not to give up... I don't know how to stop caring about this place, even though it brings me only pain.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-23, 06:22 AM
My thoughts: Most of the more mature communities on the net like to see themselves as the last bastion of friendliness and goodwill towering above the sea of /b/ and lolcats. In reality, though, they are nowhere near as unique or perfect as they think. Everything has its faults, everything has a bad side.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-23, 09:38 AM
We get one of these threads every 2 months or so, there's got to be something to it if everyone feels the need to say so. :smalltongue:
Yes, this is a great place with great people.

unosarta
2010-12-23, 10:07 AM
I feel like Grumpy Smurf here because I don't feel this place is particularly nice.

I feel frustrated because whenever I try to join in I get routinely ignored or misunderstood. The prejudices of this forum upset me too.

The UK group that does the meet ups has been good to me and they encouraged me not to give up... I don't know how to stop caring about this place, even though it brings me only pain.

When exactly does this happen? I ask mostly because it seems rather unlike a lot of forum goers to ignore someone, or at least not try to understand them. Rather, it seems that you should let people know that you feel that way, so that they can have a basis for better trying or being able to understand you.

Communication being a two way street and all.

truemane
2010-12-23, 10:08 AM
I like this place a lot too. But it's a kind of trade-off, right? The forum rules and mods enforce a forum culture of acceptance and tolerance and kindness, so naturally over time only people willing to work within that framework remain. The trade-off is a lot of modding, which some people think is worth the result, and some people don't.

The first on-line community I was ever part of had almost no rules and very, very loose moderation (no mods, even, just the two people who owned the site) and it was very much a take-care-of-yourself kind of place. Everyone played rough and there was no one to stop them and so naturally over time you attract people who like to play rough.

That site is gone now, but if I were a member of both communities today, I'd my days where I'd want the one and the days where I'd want the other.

But this is a good place. It's free of a lot of the miscellaneous heifer dust that clogs up a depressing percentage of internet traffic and the mood here is positive and enabling. Cliquish, true, but really, welcome to the human race.

So here's to the Playground! May its swing set never rust!

SDF
2010-12-23, 10:24 AM
When exactly does this happen? I ask mostly because it seems rather unlike a lot of forum goers to ignore someone, or at least not try to understand them. Rather, it seems that you should let people know that you feel that way, so that they can have a basis for better trying or being able to understand you.

Communication being a two way street and all.

It's not us it's you? :smallconfused:

unosarta
2010-12-23, 10:54 AM
It's not us it's you? :smallconfused:

Us? I do not recall becoming a party to ignoring someone. It is certainly possible that someone on this forum is outright ignoring a poster. For malicious intent? I cannot say, mostly because I do not know of the threads that Glug is speaking of.

Rather, from my own personal experience with the posters on this forum, it doesn't seem like anyone would actively ignore another person. Mayhaps I am wrong on this count. But if one actively tells others that one feels ignored, and that it makes you feel either hurt, or uncomfortable, and they continue, then it is entirely their fault. I was asking mostly in order to make sure it was entirely unintentional. If it was, then those posters are jerks, and should be either ignored, or not communicated with.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-23, 03:51 PM

Yah. I hear yah, bro. GitP can be fun, there are some great guys on here, but as good as everyone thinks it is? It is not. :smallsigh:

@V: The thing about Nexus is that it can be terribly frustrating if you can't sink the time into building a reputation for yourself. Then, once you've done that, you can pop in and out and generally post infrequently and the people who've stuck it out will be all "Yay, Snares is back!" and everyone who's joined since then will feel all out of the loop and alienated. Which is the other problem with GitP. :smallsigh:

Snares
2010-12-23, 04:12 PM
It's a nice site, certainly. One of the nicest I've seen on the web. There's definitely a good deal of good advice being given out here, too, which is nice to see. I dunno if I'd call it friendly, though, which is the thing. Everyone here has been pleasant to me, but I haven't made nearly as many friends here as I have in other places (though the lovely chap above me is a notable exception to that rule <3). Perhaps it just takes a bit longer here. But, to be honest, if it takes that much longer I'll probably end up more engrossed in some forum somewhere else. Getting back into the Nexus would help, but finding the time for that when you're in a different time zone to most of the people there is haaaaard. If I lived in America... :smallfrown:

enigmatime
2010-12-26, 08:50 PM
Generally, when I have contrasting views from someone else here, I'm really happy. It means I can have a friendly argument (or something like that). When everyone agrees, I get bored. Thank you, Glug! Your post made me happy (apart from the mention of people ignoring you, that isn't a fun thing). You just gotta find where you're happy.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-12-27, 07:41 AM
Generally, when I have contrasting views from someone else here, I'm really happy. It means I can have a friendly argument (or something like that). When everyone agrees, I get bored. Thank you, Glug! Your post made me happy (apart from the mention of people ignoring you, that isn't a fun thing). You just gotta find where you're happy.

I must say I adore those moments in which a ridiculous consensus can be broken by me (or broken by another Playgrounder of a similar mindset, which usually gets me to go "YES!" at the screen). Subversive tendencies bring about much fun in the world, do they not?

Kjata
2010-12-27, 10:24 AM
Ehh, this place is okay. Like some other people have posted, I feel kind of out of the loop. And I swear a lot when I talk/type, so I have to self censor a lot when I post.

I'm also not a fan of how strict the moderating is. Yeah, it promotes decency and what not, but it feels like we're forced to act a certain way, just like back in elementary school when you had to play nice and accept everybody. The name "Playground" fits though, so whatever.

Anyway, I can't change it, so I post very little. Mostly when I can't sleep or am depressed.

Asthix
2010-12-27, 03:44 PM
The Playground is a great place, that's why I'm here! The Giant is a real trooper keeping it running.

I was going to post about how as a newish person here I agree with Glug in some respects when I realized something.

I have this assumption that everyone here whose posts I've seen enough to call them a regular is 'in' this clique that makes the playground what it is. Realizing that there may be a new member who thinks that about me, that I'm 'in' is what made me see how false an assumption that is.

I know that feeling ignored is not a deliberate thing by anybody (unless you click the ignore button) but people do end up feeling that way anyway and for legitimate reasons.

I've felt exactly what Moff was talking about with new members feeling alienated by more senior / well known members getting all the hugs:smallsmile:, pets and kind words.

Since unosarta asked I'll provide an example. I dressed up as The MitD for Halloween and went through the laborious process of learning how to make the images I took of my (IMO) great costume (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9671414&postcount=41) appear in a post in the correct size!. After accomplishing this herculean task, not a single person commented on them. Not one. I couldn't help but feel ignored and why shouldn't I, I ask?

Playground's still great though.

unosarta
2010-12-27, 03:51 PM
Since unosarta asked I'll provide an example. I dressed up as The MitD for Halloween and went through the laborious process of learning how to make the images I took of my (IMO) great costume (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9671414&postcount=41) appear in a post in the correct size!. After accomplishing this herculean task, not a single person commented on them. Not one. I couldn't help but feel ignored and why shouldn't I, I ask?

Playground's still great though.

First of all; that is an amazing costume. Truly awesome!

Second; I think everyone sort of feel that way. When I was first on the homebrewing sub-forum, I must admit that I rarely got any comments, and I had generally bad material (not that this means that anyone who is new automatically has bad material, or unworthy posts). I felt ignored, and dejected. But then I realized. Simply because no one commented on my creation, it did not mean that they were purposefully ignoring it. There is a huge amount of thread content on this site. Like, and I quote "Threads: 139,662, Posts: 6,725,997" as of the current total. That is an astoundingly large number. No one specifically goes out to ignore threads, and simply because no one commented on them does not mean that no one saw, or that no one cares.

I understand that you would certainly feel ignored if it happened on a post by post basis, but honestly, don't feel to bad about it! Keep on posting! The only way that you could make absolutely sure that you are being ignored is if you don't post anything for people to see at all. Even if you don't get many views for a creation, or a large number of replies for a thread topic, that doesn't mean that they are not worth something. :smallsmile:

As an example of several times that this has happened to me: I routinely ask questions in the LGBT thread that no one sees. Do I blame them? Not really, mostly because the rate of posting and conversations tend to be really fast, and people sometimes can skip over stuff. But in the lulls of conversation, I will ask that question again, or quote it and make sure that people know that I still have the question.

averagejoe
2010-12-27, 04:04 PM
I think sometimes people just don't have anything to say; I know this happens to me a lot. For example, it is a cool costume, but I doubt I would have commented just to say that. In real life you have things like eye contact and head nodding to fill in the bits where nobody has anything to say, but here all we have is words. Either way, I've never really been in the habit of saying something when I have nothing substantial to say, and in a message board that can come off as indifference.

Which isn't to say I haven't seen what you guys are talking about. I don't post a huge amount in Friendly Banter, but a certain amount of cliquishness at least exists, for better or for worse. But that isn't the whole story.

Asthix
2010-12-27, 04:59 PM
*snip* Either way, I've never really been in the habit of saying something when I have nothing substantial to say, and in a message board that can come off as indifference.

I'm the same way. I spend some time trying to make each post of mine add to the discussion. I've only recently learned how to be satisfied with just getting my content out there and knowing that people are seeing it, and I totally am now. As for the Halloween costume, it just happened to be an apt reference as well as the perfect excuse to drag that skeleton out of the closet, if you will.

shawnhcorey
2010-12-27, 05:10 PM
One editor of the New York Times said that 9 out of 10 of the letters to the editor were nothing but complaints. The other 10% have a compliment to go with the complaints. People complain; it's the nature of the beast. If you don't post something that people can complain about, you won't get many replies. But you shouldn't feel that just because no-one comments on your post, it's gone unread. A lot of people who agree with your comment will not respond. But that doesn't mean your efforts are unappreciated.

unosarta
2010-12-27, 05:23 PM
One editor of the New York Times said that 9 out of 10 of the letters to the editor were nothing but complaints. The other 10% have a compliment to go with the complaints. People complain; it's the nature of the beast. If you don't post something that people can complain about, you won't get many replies. But you shouldn't feel that just because no-one comments on your post, it's gone unread. A lot of people who agree with your comment will not respond. But that doesn't mean your efforts are unappreciated.

And a lot of times, when other people do get comments on their stuff, it doesn't necessarily make it any better/more informative/more important than your own contributions. I could definitely see myself feeling left out if I wrote something up (homebrew), or asked a question, or did something else, and it was "ignored" (I tend to think of any ignoring as being mostly accidental, so the quotation marks are there to show that) in favor of some other piece of work or question, or whatever. That doesn't make that thing more important.

I guess I kind of have seen that sort of cliqueishness in FB, but I never really associated it with being of or pertaining to me. It seems more like they simply had/have known each other for a long time, and feel more comfortable with commenting on things posted by people they know. Also, there might be a sort of social pressure to comment on something someone you specifically know has done, as compared to something someone else has done.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-27, 09:10 PM
Rule of GitP: if you don't actively notice that you seem to be out of the loop, not included, then you're in some sort of clique. No one actively notices that they're "in". Okay, some people do. But for the most part, popularity is wasted on the popular. :smalltongue:

unosarta
2010-12-27, 09:51 PM
Rule of GitP: if you don't actively notice that you seem to be out of the loop, not included, then you're in some sort of clique. No one actively notices that they're "in". Okay, some people do. But for the most part, popularity is wasted on the popular. :smalltongue:

:smallconfused:

Really? I actively do not feel to be "part" of the LGBT thread "clique". I don't feel like I am in a You! thread "clique". Does this mean I don't post there? No. Does this mean I feel excluded? Hardly. I have never felt "excluded" per se in my experience on this forum. I haven't noticed that on the Homebrewing sub-forum, or in the PbP sub-forum, or in my more recent experiences in the friendly banter sub-forum.

LordOMud
2010-12-27, 10:03 PM
Well, I just joined because me and my cousin were sitting around one evening and he said, "Man, have you ever been on the Playground?"
I just said "Like at the park?"
"Nah, It's a forum. Check it out, man"
Well, He wrote down the Url and told me to register. I lurked for a while, saw that I liked it and registered. I haven't seen him around, but he should be on here.
Anyways, back on topic. So far, this seems like a great forum. Though, it seems everyone is set in their ways, and won't see anyone else's points. But isn't that like everywhere else?

Tobimaro
2010-12-27, 11:10 PM

I'd like to be popular, but then I feel that I would not be my real self. :smallsmile:

I've never really been a part of a popular clique. I still have bad memories of my high school days. :smallsigh:

Enough of that, I'm glad to be a part of the GitP community. Here's to another good year of enjoying the Order of the Stick comic and a bit of camaraderie! :smallsmile:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-12-28, 06:33 AM
The cliqueishness is certainly an implicit presence in FB. I know I wasn't really noticed on the Playground until I started posting in Random Banter, which is largely where I've found my niche. Now I attend UK meetups. That's in the space of about a year (10 months, perhaps?).

My only advice is this: be yourself long enough, persist long enough, and people will recognise you. Some may like you, some may hate you, but you'll be a regular at the least. And for heaven's sake, don't set out to be liked - it can work for some (i.e. genuinely kind people who don't need to pretend in the first place), but for most it merely creates a vacuous online persona that fails to call even the remotest attention to itself. So yes, be yourself - genuineness is far more interesting.

Killer Angel
2010-12-28, 07:04 AM
I feel frustrated because whenever I try to join in I get routinely ignored or misunderstood.
... I don't know how to stop caring about this place, even though it brings me only pain.

Really? :smalleek:
I don't know your specific experiences, but I'm sorry for you. It's definitely more an exception than the norm.
Anyway, don't give up. :smallsmile:

The prejudices of this forum upset me too.

On this, I can agree (for example, we have the thread that makes fun on Dominic Deegan, and it's at the 30th edition... I don't read that webcomic, but poking fun of DG is now a default for GitP. As for the jokes on fighters)

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-28, 08:47 AM
I've met some great people here and enjoy this place very much, but I'm sure we're not the only nice community on the web. I'll agree that we have different groups, the Random Banter thread and most of the A&C subforum are quite cliquish. But I still find I can post there without being completely ignored. Well, sometimes in RB, but that thread moves quickly, and when I post there I may or may not be posting on the current topic. It's also very easy to be ignored in the You thread, especially if Nameless or Rabbit has posted. :smalltongue:
I don't think I belong to a GITP clique. Does frequenting one subforum more than others mean I'm in a clique? In that case I'm a member of the SMBG clique, but that's mostly because the nature of the SMBGs allows me to go back there multiple times a day. I have to have something to say in order to post in Friendly Banter, Media, Arts & Crafts or Webcomics.

unosarta
2010-12-28, 06:24 PM
On this, I can agree (for example, we have the thread that makes fun on Dominic Deegan, and it's at the 30th edition... I don't read that webcomic, but poking fun of DG is now a default for GitP. As for the jokes on fighters)

:smalleek:

I loved Dominic Deegan when I read it. I don't see why one thread, no matter how ridiculously long it has been going on (30th edition?!) can represent the entire website.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-12-28, 11:08 PM
:smalleek:

I loved Dominic Deegan when I read it. I don't see why one thread, no matter how ridiculously long it has been going on (30th edition?!) can represent the entire website.

We... have our ways of making these threads keep going. :smalleek:

Killer Angel
2010-12-29, 02:58 AM

It certainly cannot. But there's no appreciation thread for DD so, apparently, a large group of forumeers likes to poking fun on that webcomic, while there isn't a numeric equivalent counterpart that likes it.
(note that I don't read it, so I'm not involved... this is exactly what I see)

The same for fighters. Or Monks. Many forumeers like those classes, but we have plenty of jokes around them.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-29, 03:02 AM
Point 'o order. There are fighter and monk jokes everywhere on the serious D&D corner of the internet. :smalltongue:

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-29, 01:20 PM
I've met some great people here and enjoy this place very much, but I'm sure we're not the only nice community on the web. I'll agree that we have different groups, the Random Banter thread and most of the A&C subforum are quite cliquish. But I still find I can post there without being completely ignored. Well, sometimes in RB, but that thread moves quickly, and when I post there I may or may not be posting on the current topic. It's also very easy to be ignored in the You thread, especially if Nameless or Rabbit has posted. :smalltongue:
I don't think I belong to a GITP clique. Does frequenting one subforum more than others mean I'm in a clique? In that case I'm a member of the SMBG clique, but that's mostly because the nature of the SMBGs allows me to go back there multiple times a day. I have to have something to say in order to post in Friendly Banter, Media, Arts & Crafts or Webcomics.

Back on my old account, I had quite a following in The Town, (it was called the Legion of Fran for anyone who was around to remember it way back when) so I kinda made my own clique. These days I seem to have fallen in with Mauve and the rest of the SMBG crowd. It's a small group, but they seem like consisently fun people and I seem to have found my niche. I'll pop on here on FB rarely, Structured when I'm running a game, Webcomics and OotS off an on, and Media Discussions when something interests me, but you'll find me on SMBG more often then not, and I'm perfectly happy with that. :smallsmile:

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 03:26 PM
I barely have started reading and posting in the forums, and already I am struck by how different this feels from the rest of the internet. Everything feels just so much more... laid back. I feel that I could actually ask for help and be answered here. Totally amazing place heres guys, value it.Cue me spending all my time here as I waste away in the real world. This forum is the only thing that keeps me alive.

Blue Ghost
2011-01-01, 07:04 PM
Quick question: Those of you who say that there are other good places on the Internet, can you tell us what they might be? I would like to get to know the Internet better.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-01, 07:11 PM
I would like to get to know the Internet better.

That's like saying you want to study the ocean by place one drop at a time on a slide and viewing it under a microscope. What are your interests? You might get something useful if you tell us.

My favourite comic site: The Belfry Webcomic Index (http://belfrycomics.net/)

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 07:20 PM
I have just spent a few hours being comforted and given advice by total strangers on what I should do about my

"Lord of the Flies" cess-pool. school. I love this forum.

Lateral
2011-01-01, 07:58 PM
I love this forum. Maybe it's just that I frequent the SMBGs and everyone there is crazy awesome nice fun coolness (even those people I only ever see once), but I haven't noticed any flaws with these fora or anyone in them. I also don't really run into the moderation that much, which is weird because I only have a general, basic knowledge of this forum's rules. Then again, it's pretty hard to do anything that might be considered 'disruptive' with SMBGs. 'Inappropriate', sure, but I'm not really that sort of person.

Although I don't know about elsewhere; I've found RP to be mostly nice, but I seem to have trouble getting adequate advice on any homebrew I make without getting booed down and/or unnoticed.

Also:

Back on my old account, I had quite a following in The Town
WAITWUT

...What did you mean by 'on your old account'?

unosarta
2011-01-01, 09:23 PM
Although I don't know about elsewhere; I've found RP to be mostly nice, but I seem to have trouble getting adequate advice on any homebrew I make without getting booed down and/or unnoticed.

Have you tried posting in the contest threads? You can't post content you have already made, but if a contest theme really gets your creative gears working, they are amazing places to get criticism and advice on homebrew.

Base Class Contest Chat Thread (contest is currently going). (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181782)

Monster Contest Chat Thread (the contest just ended; we should have a new one up as soon as VT's internet stops being messed up). (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157126)

PrC Contest Chat Thread (contest is currently going) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167302)

Blue Ghost
2011-01-01, 10:35 PM
That's like saying you want to study the ocean by place one drop at a time on a slide and viewing it under a microscope. What are your interests? You might get something useful if you tell us.

My favourite comic site: The Belfry Webcomic Index (http://belfrycomics.net/)

Oh, I was asking about other forums with similar atmospheres to the Playground. Subject doesn't really matter, as long as it's not too esoteric.

averagejoe
2011-01-01, 10:49 PM

To be fair, you or any other fan would be quite welcome. In fact, we used to have a small, but substantial, group of fans who would post there, and things tended to remain quite civil on most fronts. The fans just keep, erm, changing their minds. So, uh, there's less of them. Honest!

ForzaFiori
2011-01-01, 11:09 PM
I love the forum. Yes it's got it's cliques, and occasionally posts go unnoticed, but for the most part, people on this forum are personable, friendly, and pretty darn cool.

I gotta say though, having been on for a few years now, I've definitely seen a difference as I post more and more. The longer you've been here, the more (in my experience) people will notice and post back. Though this may have taken so long for me because while I sometimes pop in and out of FB, I spend most of my time on HB (critiquing and viewing, but not creating) and actually playing DnD, so while it may have taken me a year and a half/two years for someone on FB to recognize my name (first time it happened was when Sneak said that he recognized my old name. Probably cause he made me an avatar, but still), it might take someone who posts on FB all the time only a few months.

I do think that the rules are a little stringent, but it contributes to a much more friendly relaxed feel. I used to post on TOTSE almost as much as here, and while (imho) the discussions and arguments and whatnot were more fun and on subjects I am more into, they were much more heated, with many times the flaming as you see here. Took me quite a while to adjust.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-02, 02:49 AM
Quick question: Those of you who say that there are other good places on the Internet, can you tell us what they might be? I would like to get to know the Internet better.

Er, most of the places I like on the internet would not be up your alley, for two reasons. One, is the subject matter would hold no interest for you, and... okay, on the forum ilovefuzz.com, which is my second favorite place on the internet after GitP, the longest running thread is called "only post when you're drunk or high". The site founder and administrator has the most posts in that thread. It's an interesting site. :smallamused:

tl;dr: I'm not sure you'd be on board with most of my favorite sites. :smallcool:

Ohmyani
2011-01-03, 04:09 PM
Speaking as a new member of the forum, I can definitely say that there is an element of clique-ness here. When you first get here it seems that every single person knows every other person, and that you have to somehow meet everybody to be able to participate. It's pretty scary, actually. You have no idea how to get in the cool kid crowd!

I'm definitely still a newbie and I barely know many people at all, but I have to say that this definitely seems like the healthiest forums I've ever seen. Everybody is friendly and helpful, and they all seem to be the most random people I've seen! (Which is a good thing!) I'm looking forward to becoming someone that people recognize. :smallsmile:

I'd say the best advice for any new people is go to Friendly banter, pick a topic you know something about, and post! Also, try going to the DM-less Roleplaying section, make an interesting character, and seeing about becoming part of a campaign. That's what I did and it's a lot of fun!

@Moff: My second favorite forum, Fun-Motion, is almost completely dead and has one active moderator, who's a 19 year old from Finland. The running gag is that he's constantly drunk and only moderates when inebriated. xD

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-03, 04:32 PM
the longest running thread is called "only post when you're drunk or high".

That sounds hilarious.

Edit: Yeah, that's all I got out of your post. :smallcool:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-03, 04:40 PM
Yes, this is a fertile forum and we will thrive. We will rule over all this forum and we will call it...this forum.

10 points to anyone who gets the reference.

MoonCat
2011-01-03, 05:27 PM
Terry Pratchett?

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-03, 05:31 PM
Yes, this is a fertile forum and we will thrive. We will rule over all this forum and we will call it...this forum.

10 points to anyone who gets the reference.

Firefly.

This forum is okay, I guess.

Maxios
2011-01-03, 05:33 PM
This is the best forum I've ever posted on. It's my homepage, for crying out loud. :smallbiggrin:

Fortuna
2011-01-03, 05:34 PM
Is it against the forum rules to damn an admin for stealing your rightful points?

Lateral
2011-01-03, 05:36 PM

...Why can't I tell whether he was joking or not?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-01-03, 05:54 PM
To be fair, you or any other fan would be quite welcome. In fact, we used to have a small, but substantial, group of fans who would post there, and things tended to remain quite civil on most fronts. The fans just keep, erm, changing their minds. So, uh, there's less of them. Honest!
This is certainly true.

Dominic Deegan Tangent
Of course, it can be disheartening to post in a thread where everyone will ask you to justify your position, no matter how civily they do it. Still, if there are any current DD fans out there I would invite them to at least make a single post explaining what they like so much about DD. Many (most?) of the folks who hang out in the DD thread enjoy the chance to see how such people process the comic; I, at least, suspect that there must be some secret to it that I simply cannot see.

Plus, new perspectives help to enliven the debate. It is boring to read a wall of "me toos" whether they're all in agreement or disagreement with your particular viewpoint. Personally, I think that's why we engage in such vigorous analysis (and meta-analysis) of the comic: to find fresh new ideas.

In any case, we have at least one Mod who "lives" in the thread and the its culture is such that politeness and civility to other posters is The Rule.
And while I would normally be loathe to post in a "I love X" thread... well, this forum is pretty neat. Its rules, while occasionally burdensome, have encouraged me to become a more polite debater and to exhibit better self-control in regards to my "There's Something Wrong On the Internet" syndrome.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-03, 11:17 PM
That sounds hilarious.

Edit: Yeah, that's all I got out of your post. :smallcool:

I love that place, man. :smallbiggrin:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 01:54 AM
The forums here always tend to bring me a certain weight, like a responsibility to contribute something since everything is so civil, call it "Inverse GIFT", I feel an atmosphere of harmony.

I registered at the end of the year I discovered the comic, I was into DnD and really wanted to know more so I got in because of the Roleplaying and the comic section, and posted REALLY sporadically until vacations came this year (around, now) and I found the Arts and Craft section were I really feel at home and able to contribute, it is as an almost Obsessive compulsive need to produce avatars for the request thread so no one is left without atention, a labour I can't really perfectly accomplish (I have problems with perspective and there are some requests that I really don't want to do, mostly involving mowhawks or other Punk-esque stuff).

Also, now I'm venturing into the Friendly Banter section, just seeing how things work in each section, which for me means:

Roleplaying: The ultra fast section of the board, posts per second are made and the topics in the front page constantly cicle.

Order of the Stick: Threads follow a cycle, there are stations that are repeated after certain periods of time.

Arts and Craft: medium speed, threads take days to scroll to the bottom, people seem more willing to socialize and go on tangents. Also, normal stop for new members wanting an avatar and old members wanting a revamp.

My only problem is that I don't really know how to address myself. For one side, I'm not technically a newbie since I've been lurking for around a year, with sporadic postings, and now I've gotten a lot more active. The title of avatarist seems to early for me, and I only use it in PM mostly as a way to prevent typing my anagramic nickname which sound contrived in Personal Communications.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-04, 09:43 AM
My only problem is that I don't really know how to address myself. For one side, I'm not technically a newbie since I've been lurking for around a year, with sporadic postings, and now I've gotten a lot more active.

Technically, I'm a newbie here too, although I have been using the internet since before there was a web. All this new flanged stuff with pictures yet. Well, back in my day, we had to walk twenty miles to school, uphill, both ways, in the driving rain and the sun beating on our backs, wading through ten-foot high snowdrifts. You young people have got it soft. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2011-01-04, 01:45 PM
My only problem is that I don't really know how to address myself. For one side, I'm not technically a newbie since I've been lurking for around a year, with sporadic postings, and now I've gotten a lot more active. The title of avatarist seems to early for me, and I only use it in PM mostly as a way to prevent typing my anagramic nickname which sound contrived in Personal Communications.

Don't worry so much. Just go with what feels natural. :smallcool:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-04, 03:11 PM
Don't worry so much. Just go with what feels natural. :smallcool:

And most importantly: never stop enjoying it. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 03:33 PM
Firefly.

I think we should call it your grave.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-04, 04:02 PM

I'm too pretty to die.

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 04:06 PM

CURSE YOUR SUDDEN YET INEVITABLE BETRAYAL!

Keld Denar
2011-01-04, 04:07 PM
And thus the reason the forum is so well behaved.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-04, 04:09 PM

The guns are just for show. Roland could kill you just by wishing it.

Comet
2011-01-04, 04:21 PM
Another great thing about these forums (or maybe the Internet in general!) is that once folk get wind of a tasty subject, they never let go.

As will be demonstrated by the four or so pages of Roland/Firefly jokes starting from hereabouts. Don't let me down, forum :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 04:22 PM
Another great thing about these forums (or maybe the Internet in general!) is that once folk get wind of a tasty subject, they never let go.

As will be demonstrated by the four or so pages of Roland/Firefly jokes starting from hereabouts. Don't let me down, forum :smalltongue:

...Firefly jokes?

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-04, 04:26 PM
...Firefly jokes?
Like this:

Knock Knock?
Who's there?
Malcolm
Malcolm who?
Malcolm back here you 笨天生的一堆肉。・笨天生的一堆肉!

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 04:34 PM
CURSE YOUR SUDDEN YET INEVITABLE BETRAYAL!

HA! HA! HA! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 04:36 PM
Like this:

Knock Knock?
Who's there?
Malcolm
Malcolm who?
Malcolm back here you 笨天生的一堆肉。・笨天生的一堆肉!

Well, I never watched Firefly, so I'm sure it's funny to people who did.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 05:00 PM
Like this:

Knock Knock?
Who's there?
Malcolm
Malcolm who?
Malcolm back here you stupid inbred pile of meat!

Translated that for those who don't understand chinese.
I didn't know we were allowed to curse meat.:smallconfused:

HA! HA! HA! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!
Ahh, no God. Oh, dear god in heaven.

unosarta
2011-01-04, 05:30 PM
Translated that for those who don't understand chinese.
I didn't know we were allowed to curse meat.:smallconfused:

Wait, wait, wait, wait. I got stupid, and pile of meat, but tiansheng means inbred? That is awesome! (and it totally makes sense since "de" is used after it)

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 05:47 PM
Wait, wait, wait, wait. I got stupid, and pile of meat, but tiansheng means inbred? That is awesome! (and it totally makes sense since "de" is used after it)

That's my guess, my understanding of chinese is REALLY basic.

unosarta
2011-01-04, 06:00 PM
That's my guess, my understanding of chinese is REALLY basic.

As is mine, most of that sentence was basically Japanese characters crossed into Chinese. But I didn't know tiansheng meant inbred. The characters themselves mean "heaven/sky" and "birth/born".

[Edit]: Yeah, I have my Chinese dictionary right here, it doesn't have a listing for "inbred". To the internets!

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 06:02 PM
As is mine, most of that sentence was basically Japanese characters crossed into Chinese. But I didn't know tiansheng meant inbred. The characters themselves mean "heaven/sky" and "birth/born".

My main focus on learning chinese as with many other languages, was cursing, so I kinda know how to make elaborate insults but in some cases can't even great properly, ah, the virtues of teenage years.

unosarta
2011-01-04, 06:08 PM
My main focus on learning chinese as with many other languages, was cursing, so I kinda know how to make elaborate insults but in some cases can't even great properly, ah, the virtues of teenage years.

Meh. Insulting someone in a language they don't know isn't very useful or fun.

同系交配的 was one of two listings they had on Google translate (which I don't trust at all), but I guess it sort of makes sense. Tong*something*fu(character with the alcohol radical)de is an adjective, and the addmittance of a character with alcohol in it makes sense. Fu, meaning father, also does. 同 is used in 同学, which means classmate, and in "peer". Not sure what 系 means, so I am going to go research.

[Edit]: OK, so 系 means to tie or bind. Now finding exact meaning for 配.

[Edit]: 配 means to patch or repair, to smooth over.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 06:20 PM
Meh. Insulting someone in a language they don't know isn't very useful or fun.

You clearly don't know the joys of German.

unosarta
2011-01-04, 06:22 PM
You clearly don't know the joys of German.

Yeah, but german sounds angry no matter what you say. I have several friends who are taking german, and if they told me they were looking for the bathroom, I would probably think they were trying to insult me somehow.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 06:27 PM
Yeah, but german sounds angry no matter what you say. I have several friends who are taking german, and if they told me they were looking for the bathroom, I would probably think they were trying to insult me somehow.

Du bist recht.

When I was younger, near my grandmother's apartment there was a bodega, the man in charge was an angry chinnese old man who always mumbled something when any customer left without purchasing something. Later on I learnt he was disappointed that he hadn't bought anything, not insulting the leaving customer, so my learning of chinesse insults was for nil, but I learnt a life lesson.

I think we should cut this interchange as we are deviating to much from the topic at hand, well, more than what Roland started.

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-04, 08:44 PM
German does not always sound angry! But when you are angry, it is an excellent language to be angry in.

Malfunctioned
2011-01-04, 08:47 PM
German certainly doesn't always sound angry. Especially if the listener has a strong 'thing' for voices and the speaker makes every word sound incredibly cute.

*ahem*

Not that I would know or anything...

averagejoe
2011-01-04, 08:48 PM
Well, I never watched Firefly, so I'm sure it's funny to people who did.

It's kind of a lame show.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-04, 08:54 PM
I'm too pretty to die.

Oh Roland, you're so quotable...

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 09:00 PM
WAITWUT

...What did you mean by 'on your old account'?

Long time ago. Doesn't exist anymore (I checked, tried to recover my old avatar)

Joe woke up this morning and was like "Hey, I think I'll make half the forum rebel against me today!" And so he did. :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-04, 09:03 PM
German is a very pretty language sometime. I had a friend who would sing the prettiest songs in German. She was a wonderful singer. I wonder where she is now? *muses*

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 09:15 PM
German is a very pretty language sometime. I had a friend who would sing the prettiest songs in German. She was a wonderful singer. I wonder where she is now? *muses*

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWZCoYK8Zg

Pretty much sums up the range of emotions German can convey.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-04, 09:19 PM
This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWZCoYK8Zg

Pretty much sums up the range of emotions German can convey.

No. No it doesn't. That is only angry and sickeningly sweet. It doesn't include so beautiful and haunting you will cry.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 09:21 PM
No. No it doesn't. That is only angry and sickeningly sweet. It doesn't include so beautiful and haunting you will cry.

I know. I posted that in jest/uncontrollable urge to link to Scrubs clips. I listened to my buddy's sister recite some (medieval) German poetry once. Very moving.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-04, 09:22 PM
I'm too pretty to die.

Just your brain? What about other organs? Can you kill me with your pancreas?

Malfunctioned
2011-01-04, 09:23 PM
Just your brain? What about other organs? Can you kill me with your pancreas?

I think I can manage with my spleen but someone of Roland's character could probably use the pancreas.

averagejoe
2011-01-04, 09:40 PM
Joe woke up this morning and was like "Hey, I think I'll make half the forum rebel against me today!" And so he did. :smalltongue:

Nah, I just kinda make it up as I go.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 09:43 PM
I know. I posted that in jest/uncontrollable urge to link to Scrubs clips. I listened to my buddy's sister recite some (medieval) German poetry once. Very moving.

There are also a number of songs that sound like they were made on drugs.

Ich habe hunger, hunger, hunger, habe hunger, hunger, hunger, habe hunger, hunger, hunger, habe durst.
(I have hunger, hunger, hunger, have hunger, hunger hunger, have hunger, hunger,hunger, have thirst.

that one or:

Die Tiroler sind lustig, Die Tiroler sind froh, Sie trinken ein Gläschen Und machen's dann so. (repeat ad infinitum while dancing)
(The Tyroleans are funny, the tyroleans are happy, they drink a glass of water, and they are like that).

Come to my mind.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-04, 09:44 PM
Roland could probably kill someone with his intestine. Or at least, I could kill someone with Roland's intestine.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 09:51 PM
Roland could probably kill someone with his intestine. Or at least, I could kill someone with Roland's intestine.
I find that comment, specially the first part extremely disturbing.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-04, 09:53 PM
I find that comment, specially the first part extremely disturbing.

Why? Intestines are easy to kill with. Durable, and easy to strangle with!:smallcool:

Malfunctioned
2011-01-04, 09:58 PM
I love how this forum can take a thread about how nice the forum is to strangling people with other peoples organs.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 10:01 PM
Why? Intestines are easy to kill with. Durable, and easy to strangle with!:smallcool:

I meant the first part is what disturbs me, the second part is par the course of grievous body harm with body parts.

I mean, undead Roland IS disturbing.

Dexam
2011-01-04, 10:16 PM
Hello lurkers.

Look at your other forums, now back to this forum, now back at your other forums, now back to this forum. Sadly, the other forum isn’t this forum, but if you stopped lurking and registered to join The Playground, you could be a Playgrounder too. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a thread with Playgrounders your other forum users should be like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s your keyboard registering to join that Playground you love. Look again, your Playground user registration is now diamonds! Anything is possible when you register to join The Playground and not other forums.

I’m on an internet.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 10:28 PM
Hello lurkers.

Look at your other forums, now back to this forum, now back at your other forums, now back to this forum. Sadly, the other forum isn’t this forum, but if you stopped lurking and registered to join The Playground, you could be a Playgrounder too. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a thread with Playgrounders your other forum users should be like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s your keyboard registering to join that Playground you love. Look again, your Playground user registration is now diamonds! Anything is possible when you register to join The Playground and not other forums.

I’m on an internet.

I feel the need to add a Yo dawg!, but I heard that Roland likes to put mindcontrol in your mind control thread so...

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-04, 10:31 PM
Dexam gets 20 internets. :smallbiggrin:

absolmorph
2011-01-04, 10:37 PM
I thought that was the miThere is no mind control. I will go back to my fun.

-looks at Joe's post-
-looks at Joe's avatar-
:smallamused:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 10:54 PM
I thought that was the miThere is no mind control. I will go back to my fun.

-looks at Joe's post-
-looks at Joe's avatar-
:smallamused:

How are they related?

I do know its Jayne Cobb

absolmorph
2011-01-04, 11:07 PM
How are they related?

I do know its Jayne Cobb
Intimately.
FTFY, by the way.

averagejoe
2011-01-04, 11:54 PM
It's just a cool looking avatar I found. I like his hat.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-05, 12:00 AM
It's just a cool looking avatar I found. I like his hat.

Oh, that, I'm, uh, holding onto it for a friend.

>.>
<.<

Weren't you holding it for a friend?

Haha. Admittedly Jayne's hat is awesome, but not very gentlemanly. :smallwink:

You too happen to know your avatar's base character.

Ummm, something is fishy here...
By the way, the hat is called a "Chuyo", it's a Peruvian hat used by the populution of its Highlands or "Sierra"

averagejoe
2011-01-05, 01:01 AM
Haha, well played. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-01-05, 01:05 AM
Wait, Roland's a zombie? I just figured that his small intestine was the source of his power. :smallconfused:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-05, 01:15 AM
Haha, well played. :smalltongue:

You are the slave of your words and the owner of your silence, and in this case possibly another Firefly fan.

Wait, Roland's a zombie? I just figured that his small intestine was the source of his power. :smallconfused:

I meant that for him to be able to use it as a weapon he would have to be undead as the extraction of the intestines without them being immediately put back normally means death. Unless you have a cleric nearby who happens to have resurection, and you are a drunken master

And wasn't the stomach the source of everyone's power, and the small intestine the wannabe stomach salvaging the nutrients that were forgotten.

Gimliggamer
2011-01-05, 02:19 AM
Er, most of the places I like on the internet would not be up your alley, for two reasons. One, is the subject matter would hold no interest for you, and... okay, on the forum ilovefuzz.com, which is my second favorite place on the internet after GitP, the longest running thread is called "only post when you're drunk or high".
I have friends you would like to meet.

Dominic Deegan Tangent

It's called the ROFL effect.

Is it against the forum rules to damn an admin for stealing your rightful points?Maybe.

And thus the reason the forum is so well behaved.See above.

The guns are just for show. Roland could kill you just by wishing it.Fear is his greatest defense. I doubt if his actual power is much greater than that on Aphalaer Sullace and it's most likely directed towards a large scale assault.11 points to the first catcher of that reference.

To stay on topic, yes this forum is great. It's my number one frequented website, even though I rarely stray from the FFRP forums.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-05, 03:11 AM
Fear is his greatest defense. I doubt if his actual power is much greater than that on Aphalaer Sullace and it's most likely directed towards a large scale assault.11 points to the first catcher of that reference.

On a serious note, more than fear I would have to say it's respect.
And I would have to guess Star Wars

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-05, 04:15 PM

Fear is his greatest defense.

Funny, I always assumed his chief weapon was surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... His two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... His *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to The Giant.... His *four*...no... *Amongst* his weapons.... Amongst his weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again

Moff Chumley
2011-01-06, 12:50 AM

Good sir, I've met enough drunks, stoners, and junkies to tide me over for at least a few months. :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-06, 01:10 AM
Funny, I always assumed his chief weapon was surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... His two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... His *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to The Giant.... His *four*...no... *Amongst* his weapons.... Amongst his weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again

Nobody expects the ADMINS INQUISITION.