PDA

View Full Version : Kicking bullying players out of game?

Alice
2010-12-22, 10:29 AM
I'm new to this site and don't know if this is the right place to post this question. But here we go:

I'm about to start a game here and hopefully I will not have to kick any player out. But unfortunately I have a lot of experience with characters systematicly bullying other characters in the pnp-games I played in IRL. It created really bad atmosphere and pretty much ruined the fun with the game both in and off. I have decided that I will not tollerate such behavior in my group. Minor conflicts and disagreements are ok. But I will not allow characters beeing constant bitches. So if I most unlikely would end up having a player in my group that sabbotages or are bullying other players. Can I ban him from the game if I can't reason with him? How do I ban?

I'm sorry about my alien-english. I'm a Swede :P

Thanks for reply and happy christmas everyone!

Thanks for the help.
/Alice

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-22, 10:36 AM
Welcome!

You probably want to have this in the Roleplaying Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) forum. Report your first post (click the triangle with a ! in it at the bottom-left of your post) and ask to have it moved there.

Re: The Problem
Remember that, as the DM, you're the Boss of the game. If there's something ruining your game then its up to you to fix it - and you have absolute power in this regard.

I've found it best to speak with the Problem Player privately first so that they have fair warning that their behavior is problematic. Not everyone realizes when they're being a jerk; most people, when it is pointed out to them, will at least try to fix things.

But, if the person is still a problem, you have to tell them to leave. Stop inviting them to games (easy enough if you play in a private space) and go on from there.

Do you have any particular concerns?

DwarvenExodus
2010-12-22, 11:07 AM
I think that he's planning on starting a PbP game on these boards, and wondering if there is a way to ban players from his game. Unfortunately there is no such button, but I think that the gitp community is troll-free. If there is a problem, PM a mod and they will be dealt with very (very) swiftly.

Merry Christmas and good luck with the game!

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-22, 11:11 AM
I think that he's planning on starting a PbP game on these boards, and wondering if there is a way to ban players from his game. Unfortunately there is no such button, but I think that the gitp community is troll-free. If there is a problem, PM a mod and they will be dealt with very (very) swiftly.

Merry Christmas and good luck with the game!
Ah.

And in the alternative, you can always Ignore problem posters. If you kick someone from your PbP game and they insist on showing up in your game thread wrecking things you can just instruct your Players to add him to their Ignore List. It works surprisingly well :smallsmile:

Procedure: Click on the Problem Poster's name to the left of their post and select "View Public Profile." On their Public Profile - below and to the right of their avatar picture - is a button named "Add [Poster] To Your Ignore List." Click it and you're done!

Tengu_temp
2010-12-22, 11:33 AM
A simple guide to kicking players from the game:
1. Tell them that they are no longer a player in your game. Use this only if trying to reason with them failed.
2. If they keep posting as if they were still in the game, or make drama in the OOC thread, contact a mod.
3. ???
4. Profit!

I think that the gitp community is troll-free.

Nope. Every place on the net has trolls and GitP is no exception.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-22, 11:43 AM
Nope. Every place on the net has trolls and GitP is no exception.
Well, GitP is, at least, highly troll-adverse :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2010-12-22, 11:52 AM
Well, GitP is, at least, highly troll-adverse :smalltongue:

It just breeds a different type of troll. It's not as noticable, but it's there.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-22, 12:06 PM
It just breeds a different type of troll. It's not as noticable, but it's there.
Eh, if there's someone who is trolly enough to be annoying, but staying within the bounds of the GitP Code then I usually just Ignore them.

I, for one, find the civility imposed by the Mods quite refreshing. It keeps people from trolling-as-a-matter-of-course and makes it easier to identify the bad seeds.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-22, 12:06 PM
Huh, always wondered what the ignore did. I forget user names so easily I'd forget who I was ignoring :smallwink:

*leers from the shadows*

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-22, 12:10 PM
Huh, always wondered what the ignore did. I forget user names so easily I'd forget who I was ignoring :smallwink:
Handily, the board still shows a one-line message where the Ignore'd user's post should be and has a handy option for viewing that one post to indulge your morbid curiousity.

Mordokai
2010-12-22, 03:00 PM
Handily, the board still shows a one-line message where the Ignore'd user's post should be and has a handy option for viewing that one post to indulge your morbid curiousity.

Actually, I would much prefer if even that was gone. Simply because then there'd be no chance of indulging the said morbid curiosity :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-12-22, 03:27 PM
A simple guide to kicking players from the game:
1. Tell them that they are no longer a player in your game. Use this only if trying to reason with them failed.
2. If they keep posting as if they were still in the game, or make drama in the OOC thread, contact a mod.
3. ???
4. Profit!

This is good advice. The moderators aren't going to force you to roleplay with someone you don't want to, whatever your reason for feeling that way. "I don't think this is working out, and I no longer want you in my game" is perfectly acceptable to say.

NerfTW
2010-12-22, 03:33 PM
Actually, I would much prefer if even that was gone. Simply because then there'd be no chance of indulging the said morbid curiosity :smalltongue:

Well there's always the issue of someone you've got on ignore contributing to a thread in a major way. If everyone in the thread is responding to that person's post, you'd probably want the option to see it, or else you're trying to participate in a conversation you can only see half of.

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-22, 04:20 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: We don't generally recognize ownership of a thread or allow posters to dictate who can and can't post there. PbP games are an exception though. If you, as the DM, don't want someone to play in your game, for whatever reason, please try to work it out with them civilly via Private Message. If they persist in posting after being asked/told to leave, please report their post along with an explanation or PM the moderator for that subforum. We'll take care of it from there, as they are essentially trolling.

If for any reason, someone is posting in your IC thread that shouldn't be, try to communicate with them privately, and report it, if need be.