PDA

View Full Version : Binder build: filling out the last feats

A Ladder
2010-12-22, 02:00 PM
So I'm making a Binder, prestiging into the Knight of the Sacred Seal and I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on what feats to finish the build with.

Binder 6 / KotSS 5 / Binder 9
Andras is my Knight's vestige.
Race: Human

Feats:
1 Improved Binding
1 (human) Knowledge Devotion
3 Ignore Special Requirements
4 (Binder) Expel Vestige
6 Weapon Focus (probably morningstar or whatever)
9 Favored Vestige: Andras
12 Rapid Recovery
16 (Binder)

Feats 1 - 6 are locked in. I'm not changing them.
9 and 12 are to get more use out of smite and Sow Discord from Andras, but I'm open to suggestions.

15, 16, and 18 are where I'm at a loss at. what whould be the most helpful feats.
My DM might let me retrain feats, I havent asked him yet. The ones I would retrain would be Weapon Focus and make it Focused on a Falchion. The second would be Improved Binding once I've reached level 17.

Where I was seeing my build: a melee fighter type. basically 2 handed attacks, with a animated shield of Mercy (secondary role of healing party members with my smites from Andras). I would like to keep it a generalist, since that's what Binders are. We will be starting out low level (around 1, maybe up to level 3).
I also have no idea what my party members are doing with thier builds.

Also, no Leap Attack/Shocktrooper combos. I already made an ubercharger and got bored really fast. Combat is funner (to me) if my character might die.

tl;dr
Last three feats at level 15, 16 (Binder bonus), and 18 need filling out. melee/generalist focused build.

Keld Denar
2010-12-22, 02:29 PM
I think you can qualify for Awesome Smite (CChampion) with Andras. Its a utility feat that lets you do fun things when you smite people. You can ignore miss chance or DR, and if you don't need to do either of those, you can try to knock people on their butts when you smite them.

Also, I'd recommend Power Attack. You don't need Shocktrooper + Leap Attack to make PA good, those just make it rediculous. PA is plenty good on its own. Armbands of Might (MIC) are really cheap + damage when you PA for at least 2 points per round. You should have a decent bonus to hit from Knowledge Devotion + Smite, so you can afford to put a little of that into PA, especially since you are using a 2hander.

Smite and PA are both static damage. If you don't want to shell out for a Keen Falchion, Imp Critical isn't a bad investment.

A Ladder
2010-12-22, 02:35 PM
thanks for imput on awesome smite. it looks super fun.

Smite and PA are both static damage. If you don't want to shell out for a Keen Falchion, Imp Critical isn't a bad investment.

With Andras bound I'm already treated as though having the Improved Critical feat with whatever weapon I'm wielding, so I got that covered.

Keld Denar
2010-12-22, 02:38 PM
Ah, right...forgot about that. Have I mentioned its been a while since I last read ToM?

Anyway, for a leftover feat, I kinda like feats like Improved Init, Improved Toughness, and Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness). Quick Recovery is especially nice at higher levels, as its one of the few effects that lets you get out of Blasphemy-lock if you ever find yourself in the presence of 2 or more Hezaru, Nalfeshni's, Mariliths, or Balors (and appropriate diabolic equivalents). Binder and KotSS both has a strong Will save, so getting out will be pretty easy.

A Ladder
2010-12-22, 02:43 PM
Ah, right...forgot about that. Have I mentioned its been a while since I last read ToM?

Anyway, for a leftover feat, I kinda like feats like Improved Init, Improved Toughness, and Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness). Quick Recovery is especially nice at higher levels, as its one of the few effects that lets you get out of Blasphemy-lock if you ever find yourself in the presence of 2 or more Hezaru, Nalfeshni's, Mariliths, or Balors (and appropriate diabolic equivalents). Binder and KotSS both has a strong Will save, so getting out will be pretty easy.

Gold! I've forgotten about that one. thanks again!

Keld Denar
2010-12-22, 02:47 PM
Eh, you can never have TOO many HP...keeps you from getting PW:Stunned at mid-high levels. Its pretty much +2 Con without the fun fort save boost. Not amazing, but not bad for a feat.

Tokuhara
2010-12-22, 03:20 PM
I suggest Awesome Smite, Power Attack, and Improved Toughness.

If it were me, I'd've made mine focused on Ashardalon. Yea, he's an 8th level Vestige and all, but he's darn powerful

Adumbration
2010-12-22, 03:27 PM
I suggest Awesome Smite, Power Attack, and Improved Toughness.

If it were me, I'd've made mine focused on Ashardalon. Yea, he's an 8th level Vestige and all, but he's darn powerful

Really? I always thought Orthos was the best 8th level vestige. Better offensive, and, in my opinion, better defenses/utility too. Although when you can pick both, all the better.

A Ladder
2010-12-22, 04:34 PM
Yeah, my past 3 campaigns havn't gone over lvl 17 so the 8th vestiges I don't care about.
Also, the earliest you can bind 8th level vestiges is 16, which means I would never get the Vestige Surge ability (capstone of KotSS) before epic levels. So they're out.
But thanks for the suggestions.