PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Disciple of Winter Epic Destiny

stormywaters
2010-12-22, 07:30 PM
So I am working on this epic destiny to be a sort of extension to my Frost Mage paragon path. This is a very rough sketch of what I had in mind, though I'd like to make some changes. First draft:

Disciple of Winter
"Lay down your weapons, lest you meet the winter that never thaws."

Flavor Text
Coming Soon!
Anyone that wants to help with this portion, feel free. I'm not very good at flavor text.

Disciple of Winter Features:

Winter's Form (21st Level): Long years spent in frozen tundras have started transforming you into an icy avatar. Apply the following changes:

Increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma by 2.
You gain resist cold equal to 15 + 1/2 your level, or increase your existing cold resistance by 10.
Once per turn when you use an arcane cold power, you gain a +2 power bonus to a defense of your choice until the start of your next turn.

This was taken from the Prince of Hell Epic Destiny. I reduced the resistance and added "increase your current resistance", removed darkvision and "immortal", and added a defense bonus. If you think the defense bonus is too good, feel free to offer a modification to it. I made it a power bonus so it doesn't stack with other powers that grant defense bonuses.

Sudden Frost (24th Level): Your spells leave an icy coating on anything they touch. Apply the following effects:
When you target a single creature with an arcane cold attack and that attack hits, the target is slowed until the start of your next turn.
When you use an arcane cold power that is a burst or blast, other creatures treat that area as difficult terrain until the start of your next turn.

I wanted to add some slowing/fun interactions with frost/ice/slippery stuff. I was going to make the second part something to do with making a check or falling prone, but I didn't.

Fimbulwinter (30th Level): Your masterful control of frost creates an ever-present glacial zone around you. You gain an aura 10 that allows you to manifest wintery effects. During your turn, you can start or end one of the following effects by spending a minor action:
Lower the Temperature. Creatures that start their turn in the aura take 10 cold damage.
Freeze in Place: Until the start of your next turn, you cannot move or be forced to leave your square for any reason.
Freeze the Ground: You can transform any number of squares in the aura from normal terrain to difficult terrain, as long as they remain in your aura.
Create Obscuring Snow: Each creature in your aura gains partial concealment. You do not take penalties to attack rolls as a result of this effect.

I mostly took this ability from Planeshaper. The first ability comes almost directly from there, although they deal 15 damage, and it can be either fire or cold. I added "Freeze in Place" (since at level 30, that shouldn't be overpowered) and "Create Obscuring Snow" (again, shouldn't be too overpowered at 30, and affects all creatures except you, not just hinders enemies). I removed a couple of rather potent abilities from Planeshaper as a trade-off for these two options. What do you think?

Flesh to Ice (Level 26 Utility):
Flesh to Ice * Disciple of Winter Utility 26
Daily * Arcane, Cold
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain resistance to all damage equal to your cold resistance. You cannot take actions (except to end this effect) or deal damage in anyway. You cannot communicate with other creatures by any means. If you are marking any creatures, those marks end. You may end this effect during your turn, but you may not take any other actions that turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am up in the air on this one. On one hand I feel like it's really good, since it gives you resist all damage of at least 23 for potentially the rest of the fight. However, I think it might be underpowered, since it literally stops you from doing anything at all. I think of it as an "Oh no!" button, so if you're about to die in a bad fight, you can freeze while the healer catches up.

So I ask you: Too good? Not good enough?
Too good: How would you change it?
Not good enough: Make it an encounter power? Make the character stunned instead of no abilities at all? The character can only take move actions and is slowed instead of no actions?

That's pretty much it. I mostly just took things from other places, reflavored them, and combined them into this. Do you like it? Would you allow it in your game?

Thanks everyone!

stormywaters
2010-12-23, 02:20 AM
I decided to just go ahead and post the whole epic destiny. Let me know what you think!

stormywaters
2010-12-24, 12:22 AM
Come on guys! 90 views, someone has to have a comment or idea? Like/Dislike? Good/Bad? Overpowered/Underpowered?