PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! Summoner Druid / Swordsage Items (D&D 3.5e)

Hawkflight
2010-12-22, 07:30 PM
Hello, GitP community. A friend of mine is running a D&D campaign (3.5e), and I'm making a tibbit druid (shape-shifter variant from PHB2). He has two levels in swordsage, and remains in the giant-killing stance for extra damage against medium-sized and larger creatures. Before a battle, or in the first round, he summons a pair of big cats via SNA, and uses them in conjunction with his maneuvers in predator form to dish out damage. For defense, he casts spells like Cat's Grace (lol, considering he's a cat) and Barkskin, and uses wands to cast Mage Armor and Shield for even more AC. Out of combat, he uses his and his bogun's high Hide and Move Silently skills to spy on the enemy.

Now, I'm running into a little trouble with my character's natural attacks. Frankly, they're pathetic. I need to somehow buff them up, but I'm not quite sure how. I was thinking of getting a necklace of natural weapons and making my bite Flaming +1, but I'm wondering if there are any better abilities to get? I also want to get some use out of this Craft Wondrous Item feat as well.

P.S.: Here's my character sheet, because I know I didn't explain my character very well. http://www.mediafire.com/?99oqjgq47t3r2cm

EDIT: Point of order, I figure I can just put on any combat items like the necklace after I shapeshift, with the help of my bogun.

Hawkflight
2010-12-23, 03:01 AM
I made a minor mistake with my calculations. I don't actually have 5,000 gold left, I only have 2,000. Though I may be able to get up to 3,500 if I go with only 1 of each wand (A potentially viable solution). And remember I can get more expensive items by making them myself.

icefractal
2010-12-23, 05:15 AM
Well there's Fires of Purity (Spell Compendium), which adds 1 point/level to your attacks, and also gives you some fire resistance.

Also, you could cast Produce Flame and then use the touch attacks you get instead of your claws.

Runestar
2010-12-23, 05:39 AM
Hmm...your predator form uses bite, so bite of the wererat/werewolf is of limited use (though the stats bonuses are excellent).

There are some spells which can grant you extra attacks, but I am not sure if they carry over to shapeshift. Spell compendium has claws of the bear (druid1) and charge of the triceratops (druid3), for instance.

Darrin
2010-12-23, 11:13 AM
Buy a Ring of the Viper (8000 GP, Serpent Kingdoms p. 153), or craft a wondrous item with a similar ability.

Cast Venomfire (Serpent Kingdoms p. 158) on yourself for +1d6 acid damage/CL (uncapped) on all your natural attacks. You can also cast this on your bogun (he already has a poison attack).

Also, consider:

Instant of Power (Forge of War p. 114, Druid 1). As an immediate action, grant +4 enhancement bonus on next attack, save, or damage roll.

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (2000 GP, WotC article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)) was *made* for cats. Stupendously useful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8). You can probably make your own with wood wose (the druid version of unseen servant).

Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP, MIC p. 206). +1d6 electricity damage on all your attacks. It can be activated in wild shape (but I'm not sure if that applies to your cat-form).

Fanged Ring (10000 GP, Dragon Magic). Gain Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike). This allows you to make iterative attacks with your unarmed strike and add all your natural attacks as secondary attacks. Add the Superior Unarmed Strike feat and your unarmed strike damage will scale up by character level.

Do you already have a Ring of the Beasts (Complete Champion)? Also, you can speed up your SNAs with Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage p. 136) or Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (500 GP, MIC p. 86).

If you make the Necklace of Natural Weapons, ask your DM if you can attach an Augment Crystal (such as a Lesser Crystal of Energy Assualt) or include a wand chamber (+100 GP, Dungeonscape) for uh... really short wands. Also, ask about adding Sudden Stunning or one of the {energy type} Surge abilities (+2000 GP each, collect the whole set) from DMGII.

Another option might be instead of trying to buff damage, add a weapon property with ability damage (Wounding), status effects, save-or-suck effects, etc. Torturous (+1 enhancement, Ghostwalk p. 64) is a Fort save DC 12 vs stun for 1 round every time you hit (everybody rolls a 1 eventually), but you can also upgrade it to a +2 enhancement and the DC goes up to 17.

Hawkflight
2010-12-23, 04:10 PM
Buy a Ring of the Viper (8000 GP, Serpent Kingdoms p. 153), or craft a wondrous item with a similar ability.

Cast Venomfire (Serpent Kingdoms p. 158) on yourself for +1d6 acid damage/CL (uncapped) on all your natural attacks. You can also cast this on your bogun (he already has a poison attack).

Also, consider:

Instant of Power (Forge of War p. 114, Druid 1). As an immediate action, grant +4 enhancement bonus on next attack, save, or damage roll.

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (2000 GP, WotC article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)) was *made* for cats. Stupendously useful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8). You can probably make your own with wood wose (the druid version of unseen servant).

Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP, MIC p. 206). +1d6 electricity damage on all your attacks. It can be activated in wild shape (but I'm not sure if that applies to your cat-form).

Fanged Ring (10000 GP, Dragon Magic). Gain Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike). This allows you to make iterative attacks with your unarmed strike and add all your natural attacks as secondary attacks. Add the Superior Unarmed Strike feat and your unarmed strike damage will scale up by character level.

Do you already have a Ring of the Beasts (Complete Champion)? Also, you can speed up your SNAs with Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage p. 136) or Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (500 GP, MIC p. 86).

If you make the Necklace of Natural Weapons, ask your DM if you can attach an Augment Crystal (such as a Lesser Crystal of Energy Assualt) or include a wand chamber (+100 GP, Dungeonscape) for uh... really short wands. Also, ask about adding Sudden Stunning or one of the {energy type} Surge abilities (+2000 GP each, collect the whole set) from DMGII.

Another option might be instead of trying to buff damage, add a weapon property with ability damage (Wounding), status effects, save-or-suck effects, etc. Torturous (+1 enhancement, Ghostwalk p. 64) is a Fort save DC 12 vs stun for 1 round every time you hit (everybody rolls a 1 eventually), but you can also upgrade it to a +2 enhancement and the DC goes up to 17.

Thanks for the ideas, but, um ... you do know I only have 2,000 - 3,500 gold to work with, right? So I can't get the bracers, or the rings, and I can't even make the rings because that requires Forge Ring. Also, Venomfire can only be cast on creatures with existing venomous weapons. I could cast it on my bogun, but that's a big risk, the enemy is just as likely to wipe it out with one hit, killing it and hurting me in the process.

EDIT: Now that would be funny. Making like a dozen boguns, getting a Wand of Venomfire, and just going to town.... Can't afford that though.