PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Gear

Rasman
2010-12-22, 07:32 PM
As I've brought up on these boards before, my fiancée is wanting to play a Barbarian in our next game, just to see if she'll like D&D and such. I've got her feats settled and such and I've gotten as far as gear that she can buy with her starting gold.

She starts at 9th level, so she gets 46,000g worth of equipment. I've gone as far as making her weapon, a Serrated, Laminated, Keen, Vicious +1 Falchion. By my math, she still has 28,425g left to work with.

With access to ANY book, what other equipment would you give a 9th level Barbarian within that price range?

Greenish
2010-12-22, 07:55 PM
Strength for belt, con for neck, maybe a Belt of Battle if you feel like spending.

Boots of the Battle Charger with Anklets of Translocation effect added.

Greatreach Bracers.

Scout's Headband.

Of course, Animated Shield and choice light armour. Armour Spikes of Warning could be nice.

Loki Eremes
2010-12-22, 08:33 PM
not to do with your question but...
I think barbarians are kind of square to decide if she would like D&D or not, i mean, if your DM is going to be using plenty of battles she will have lotz of fun.
But beware if your DM likes to rol play a lot.
A barbarian only knows how to hit things. they doesnt even know how to read xD.

But well...coming back to the topic
i think there is a 2d8 blade on Arms & Equipment guide for medium guys. Its like greatsword but better.

Runestar
2010-12-22, 08:35 PM
At this lv, I doubt belt of battle is that useful, you only have 2 attacks after all.

From MIC, consider the following items.

Necklace of tears (2300gp) - generate temp hp up to 3/day.
Cloak of predatory vigor (1400gp) - heal damage while in a rage.
Armbands of might (4100gp) - +2 damage when you power attack.
Crystal mask of mindarmour (10,000gp) - +4 insight bonus to will saves.

Of course, don't forget the basic stuff like cloak of resistance and stat boosters, though they can now be combined with other eq at no extra charge, so you don't have to choose between one or the other.:smallsmile:

Though the eq needs keeping track of, this can be more interesting, but also overwhelming for a new player compared to static bonuses.

Coidzor
2010-12-22, 08:41 PM
Well, if intimidation-rage synergy is in play or of interest, the fearsome armor property would be something to consider.

Rasman
2010-12-22, 10:43 PM
not to do with your question but...
I think barbarians are kind of square to decide if she would like D&D or not, i mean, if your DM is going to be using plenty of battles she will have lotz of fun.
But beware if your DM likes to rol play a lot.
A barbarian only knows how to hit things. they doesnt even know how to read xD.

But well...coming back to the topic
i think there is a 2d8 blade on Arms & Equipment guide for medium guys. Its like greatsword but better.

we are literally right in the middle of a HUUUUUUUUGE battle, there not being enough RP is more of an issue at the moment than "do I get to hit stuff"

Well, if intimidation-rage synergy is in play or of interest, the fearsome armor property would be something to consider.

I'd thought about it, but I'm trying to keep her first character simple, so "Damage Damage Crush Crush" is all I'm worried about...the most "advanced" thing she'll be doing is either Sundering or Bull Rushing

At this lv, I doubt belt of battle is that useful, you only have 2 attacks after all.

From MIC, consider the following items.

Necklace of tears (2300gp) - generate temp hp up to 3/day.
Cloak of predatory vigor (1400gp) - heal damage while in a rage.
Armbands of might (4100gp) - +2 damage when you power attack.
Crystal mask of Mindarmor (10,000gp) - +4 insight bonus to will saves.

Of course, don't forget the basic stuff like cloak of resistance and stat boosters, though they can now be combined with other eq at no extra charge, so you don't have to choose between one or the other.:smallsmile:

Though the eq needs keeping track of, this can be more interesting, but also overwhelming for a new player compared to static bonuses.

Necklace of Tears isn't a bad idea at all since she'll likely be getting hit a LOT.

Cloak of Predatory Vigor as well, I'd been looking at it, but I wasn't sold on it so I wanted to see if anyone mentioned it.

Armbands of Might are a pretty straight forward item and they'll be good for this type of character as well.

I don't think the mask will be necessary, but, you NEVER know.