PDA

View Full Version : Track Ball or Normal Mouse?

Lady Moreta
2010-12-22, 09:13 PM
Okay, I need some help here :smallsmile:

My husband is getting me a decent mouse for Christmas - I have fairly big hands and long fingers so I need a big mouse - the little ones make my fingers cramp. Only problem is that he's having trouble finding a decent-sized mouse that isn't a track ball. I have no problem with the possibility of getting a track ball instead of normal, but I don't know anything about them. I have no idea if one of those would suit me better than a normal one.

So help! How comfortable are they to use? How easy? Do they give you problems with your thumb? (using it constantly to move the cursor and all). I already have a lump at the base of my right index finger that I'm seeing a hand surgeon about in February - my GP thinks it's directly related to/caused by all the computer/mousing I do at work. I look at a track ball and think "Am I just going to end up with another OOS/RSI-related injury in my thumb to match the one in my finger?" - if that's the case, I'd rather not bother, but I've never used a trackball so I don't really know.

And I know I could use google and search reviews and the like... but somehow - it's just easier to come here and ask you guys :smallsmile: Maybe I just trust you more :smallsmile:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-22, 09:21 PM
Basically, trackballs are made for precision, not comfort. I'm not saying you can't get used to them, but IMO you're better off by simply looking for a bigger than normal regular mouse.

The entire point of trackballs is for doing things like CAD or image editing where you need to move the cursor say just 1 pixel, or have to move it perfectly straight, or just make sure your hand doesn't wobble in all directions when you're air brushing.

For normal use and especially for games they're pretty annoying, especially since normally the cursor moves slowly and if you make it fast, you lost any precision, to the point of needing 3-4 tries to hit the OK button. The last part is just me, since even though I've used them a bit, I haven't gotten used to them.

No idea on injuries.

Meg
2010-12-22, 09:22 PM
I have a trackball mouse, and I hold it so my hands are resting on the sides and my index finger is on the touch-sensitive part. It took a little used to, but is pretty much the same as a normal mouse. My one complaint is that it scrolls really easily, which is not an issue when browsing the web, as bumping it usually only moves the page up or down the tiniest bit. It is, however, an issue when playing video games, as scrolling switches your weapon, which gets me killed a lot.

For reference, I have an Apple magic touch mouse (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=apple+magic+mouse&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9217106134602988201&ei=xbESTZq4LYXonQfr_ZS1Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CFoQ8wIwBA#), so technically not a true track ball mouse.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-22, 09:26 PM
trackballs are nice, i had one, but the ball kept falling out:smallannoyed:

Lady Moreta
2010-12-22, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys :smallsmile: I knew you'd be more helpful than Google.

Slow-moving cursors don't bother me, I prefer them slow anyway. I have mine turned down pretty slow and the speed on my husband's one drives me bonkers because it's too fast for me!

Wish there was a computing store around work, I'd go in and have a look for myself... this'll teach my husband to leave his shopping til the last minute :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2010-12-22, 09:35 PM
Trackballs do come in multiple arrangements; it shouldn't be too hard to find one with the ball placed center-top, so it's being manipulated with the index fingers in the same way you use the scroll wheel and buttons on a standard mouse. The buttons would then be placed for access with your thumb, or sometimes with the intent that you just take your fingers off the ball to click with the larger balls.

But then, it shouldn't be too hard to find a larger and/or ergonomically tilted mouse (unless you're left handed, then you're screwed) either.. and you're in Australia, which has somewhat erratic availability of such things. I'm probably a little biased because I work in the largest electronics/computer stuff store in my state. :smallamused:

Lady Moreta
2010-12-22, 10:11 PM
But then, it shouldn't be too hard to find a larger and/or ergonomically tilted mouse (unless you're left handed, then you're screwed) either.. and you're in Australia, which has somewhat erratic availability of such things. I'm probably a little biased because I work in the largest electronics/computer stuff store in my state. :smallamused:

I am right-handed, thankfully :smallsmile:

The larger ergonomic ones are hard to find over here, which is why I was wondering about a trackball, since they are available. I'm just not sure if I would like using one...

Mando Knight
2010-12-22, 11:48 PM
With a normal (optical) mouse, try gripping it much more lightly, controlling it with just your fingertips.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-23, 12:05 AM
With a normal (optical) mouse, try gripping it much more lightly, controlling it with just your fingertips.

I'll try that, thanks :smallsmile:

It's not that I have a problem using a normal optical mouse, it's that I really need a big one and those are really hard to find over here. Big trackball mice are all over the place, but I've never used one so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not.

Trog
2010-12-23, 12:14 AM
I've only used a track ball mouse long long ago on a job I once had. I used it for a about two days before I switched back. While it was awesome for scrolling it lacked a lot of precision, I found. Now perhaps there have been advancements in the past ten years and they are better now than they were then but I'd go for a regular mouse over a track ball any day, personally.

Best of luck with your mouse hunt! :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2010-12-23, 12:33 AM
The entire point of trackballs is for doing things like CAD or image editing where you need to move the cursor say just 1 pixel, or have to move it perfectly straight, or just make sure your hand doesn't wobble in all directions when you're air brushing..

I never knew about this :smallsigh:

It'd be extremely useful for my college works. Alas, my college years are practically done.

factotum
2010-12-23, 02:29 AM
Used to know someone who could only use a trackball, because a normal mouse gave them RSI something fierce. Have used them myself, and it's not hard to get the knack...I would definitely suggest seeing if you can find some to try out in shops near you, though.

Brother Oni
2010-12-23, 07:31 AM
It's not that I have a problem using a normal optical mouse, it's that I really need a big one and those are really hard to find over here.

Considering your location, have you thought about importing one from someplace like Hong Kong or Japan? If you can find the model number of a suitable ergonomic mouse, then it shouldn't be too hard to find a company that's willing to ship them to where you are.

Of course that's likely to bump up the price, but since you're going to get the present after Christmas, you can tell your husband it's a late present premium. :smalltongue:

DaMidget
2010-12-23, 07:32 AM
I use a logitech trackman wheel, I love my trackball. I'm a heavy gamer, mostly first person shooters. I was raised using a trackball though, always found them more comfortable, I also like the fact that I don't have to move it around my desk, as my desk is usually covered in junk.

SDF
2010-12-23, 08:55 AM
I used a logitech trackball for a few years, and a wireless laser mouse is so much better to me. I found the oils on my hands would gunk up the bearings every so often the way an old mechanical mouse would get on the inside. I think most people would agree that space isn't really an issue with modern mice as I don't find my hand moving more than an inch in any direction. I have big hands, too. Enough to palm a regulation NBA basketball in either hand, but size has never really been an issue for me so I can't really recommend anything there. I even use on of those super compact mice for my laptop when I need something more than the touch pad.

pendell
2010-12-23, 10:36 AM
I've used all three types -- mechanical mouse, track ball, and optical mouse. I prefer optical mouse, primarily because mouse and track balls get really irritating when they're slightly dirty. So if you don't enjoy constantly scrubbing the things down with alcohol in order to keep them operable, get an optical.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-23, 07:47 PM
Enough to palm a regulation NBA basketball in either hand, but size has never really been an issue for me so I can't really recommend anything there. I even use on of those super compact mice for my laptop when I need something more than the touch pad.

Now you've got me wanting to find a basketball to see if I can palm it :smalltongue:

I have used the little midget mice before and I hate them. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm double-jointed in my fingers and they tend to cramp if I have them bent up for too long. Had the same trouble when I played the clarinet...

Peregrine went browsing yesterday and then showed me the ones he found online. I also grabbed the good mouse we have on the desktop and played around with that. It's designed similar to a trackball you use with your thumb so I pretended there was a ball there and played around. Just in doing that I could tell I'd end up with another RSI-type injury if I used one consistently. I already have one $140 appointment booked for February, the last thing I need is another one :smallsigh:

But I picked one that is available locally so Peregrine will buy it today :smallsmile: Yay!

Thanks for all your help :smallsmile:

Jallorn
2010-12-23, 07:52 PM
We had a trackball mouse once. It wasn't bad. Used my thumb to move the ball. Not much else to say.

shawnhcorey
2010-12-23, 09:30 PM
If you get a trackball, get a finger-controlled one. I used an older version of the Trackman (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/4680). Movement is not a problem; I can use all four fingers to zip it from one side of my screen to the other.

Don't get a thumb-controlled one. They're the ones with the ball on the side and they're the pits. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2010-12-23, 09:34 PM
Don't get a thumb-controlled one. They're the ones with the ball on the side and they're the pits. :smallfrown:
As a guy who LOVES his to death, I can safely disagree with you. Hell, I play Starcraft 2 at a reasonably high APM (actions per minute) with that mouse, and have yet to have a serious issue with it, or suffer any hand pain of any kind (though, maintaining 80-90 APM for something like 8 hours starts to hurt somewhat).

Lady Moreta
2010-12-23, 09:36 PM
If you get a trackball, get a finger-controlled one. I used an older version of the Trackman (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/4680). Movement is not a problem; I can use all four fingers to zip it from one side of my screen to the other.

I decided on this one (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845?WT.ac=psE|5845||Image) in the end :smallsmile: I wouldn't have gotten a thumb-one anyway, they don't seem comfortable to use.

Mando Knight
2010-12-24, 12:26 AM
I decided on this one (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845?WT.ac=psE|5845||Image) in the end :smallsmile:

Ooh, Logitech. Always a good choice for PC peripherals. My current mouse is one of their cheap wired models, since it fulfills all of my basic mouse criteria as well as not needing batteries.

IonDragon
2010-12-24, 07:07 PM
Death Adder (http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169416100). All you need. Best mouse I have ever used. I used my friends once, went out and bought one the next day. The strike zone is massive, the thumb buttons are large and easy to work, it's fits my hand just right.

fknm
2010-12-24, 08:23 PM
Death Adder (http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169416100). All you need. Best mouse I have ever used. I used my friends once, went out and bought one the next day. The strike zone is massive, the thumb buttons are large and easy to work, it's fits my hand just right.
Yeah, Razer makes nice mice. I've got an Abyssus, and while it wouldn't work for Moreta given what she's said (it's small), it's perfect for me, since I have small hands and prefer a fingertip grip. It's super light, tracks extremely nicely (it supposedly has problems on cloth pads, but I've always preferred hard pads, so it's great for me), and fits my hand well.