PDA

View Full Version : Where is Tibbit? [3.5e]

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-23, 08:57 AM
I'd like to make a gestalt Tibbit Thrallherd//Factotum as the BBEG for my next campaign. I just have one problem...
In what book/magazine is the the Tibbit race?

Amiel
2010-12-23, 09:01 AM
Apparently it's found within the Dragon Magazine Compendium Vol. 1.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 09:06 AM
I'd like to make a gestalt Tibbit Thrallherd//Factotum as the BBEG for my next campaign

You... you're evil! :smalleek:

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-23, 09:06 AM
Okay, thanky-you.

EDIT: What's so evil about it? The ULTIMATE breaking of the action economy? The Massive-Int-to-Everything? Looking like a housecat while raining doom down upon your foes? Looking cute while doing so?

Amiel
2010-12-23, 09:12 AM
Be sure to include Erudite for entertainment value.

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-23, 09:12 AM
Meh, I don't like preparing spells or powers. That's actually one of the reasons I like psionics so much.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-23, 10:29 AM
What's so evil about it? The ULTIMATE breaking of the action economy? The Massive-Int-to-Everything? Looking like a housecat while raining doom down upon your foes? Looking cute while doing so?

Evil because your players will think the James Bond villain with the ever-present housecat is the real BBEG the entire time. :smallamused:

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-23, 10:32 AM
He'll have two cohorts, so maybe he could have them act like a married couple or something, disguising himself as their pet?
Oh, my plot just got so much more evil.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-23, 10:55 AM
The fake villain should wear a hat of disguise, so even if he's killed his replacement can look exactly like him. Except then your players might be prompted to invest in true seeing, and then the jig will be up. Maybe just have him wear a mask instead.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-23, 11:01 AM
The fake villain should wear a hat of disguise, so even if he's killed his replacement can look exactly like him. Except then your players might be prompted to invest in true seeing, and then the jig will be up. Maybe just have him wear a mask instead.
Yes, that is one place where Mundane absolutely trumps Magic, disguises. And skill checks are so cheap to pump it's almost silly.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 11:07 AM
Yes, that is one place where Mundane absolutely trumps Magic, disguises. And skill checks are so cheap to pump it's almost silly.

"Trumps magic?" Magic can read minds, good luck disguising around that :smalltongue:

Even with a lowly Detect Thoughts spell - the number one surface thought in anyone's mind who's wearing a disguise is bound to be "I hope they don't see through my disguise."

Ravens_cry
2010-12-23, 11:09 AM
"Trumps magic?" Magic can read minds, good luck disguising around that :smalltongue:

Even with a lowly Detect Thoughts spell - the number one surface thought in anyone's mind who's wearing a disguise is bound to be "I hope they don't see through my disguise."
The best way to keep a secret is to not think about it, basically forget it. Some excellent actors basically become the role, staying in character the entire time.
A well trained spy could so just that. It's only your SURFACE thoughts, the running commentary in your head.

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-23, 11:12 AM
Maybe he should go Spymaster on the Factotum side? Though it isn't so important if the players aren't supposed to even know of his existance or almost never see him. Cats are pretty frequent in my games anyway, so they wouldn't pay much attention to it... probably.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 11:17 AM
The best way to keep a secret is to not think about it, basically forget it. Some excellent actors basically become the role, staying in character the entire time.
A well trained spy could so just that. It's only your SURFACE thoughts, the running commentary in your head.

In such a case, a deeper spell like Probe Thoughts will work - magic still wins. (Or you can just magically buff your Spot check, or both.)

Ravens_cry
2010-12-23, 11:32 AM
In such a case, a deeper spell like Probe Thoughts will work - magic still wins. (Or you can just magically buff your Spot check, or both.)
Which uses a a much higher spell slot compared to using no spell slot at all. Yes, you can magically buff your Spot check. You can also magically buff your Disguise check, so it balances.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-23, 11:41 AM

Don't forget that the guy wearing the disguise is a mind-whipped thrall. He probably believes he's the person he's disguised as.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 11:41 AM
Which uses a a much higher spell slot compared to using no spell slot at all. Yes, you can magically buff your Spot check. You can also magically buff your Disguise check, so it balances.

Ah, but once you use magic to help yourself out, it's not "mundane absolutely trumps magic" anymore, is it? :smallamused:

Not to mention, now you have to worry about your neon glow in my detect magic field, which is cause for suspicion - especially once I pick up your school as Illusion (disguise spell) or Transmutation (stat buff).

hamishspence
2010-12-23, 11:43 AM
There's a (non-supernatural) feat in Exemplars of Evil- that makes it very difficult to read your thoughts. It also causes you to always ping as Neutral regardless of your true alignment.

So there are non-supernatural ways of becoming very hard to mind-read.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-23, 11:51 AM
Ah, but once you use magic to help yourself out, it's not "mundane absolutely trumps magic" anymore, is it? :smallamused:

Not to mention, now you have to worry about your neon glow in my detect magic field, which is cause for suspicion - especially once I pick up your school as Illusion (disguise spell) or Transmutation (stat buff). There's no illusion involved. And a stat buff is hardly suspicious.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 11:52 AM
There's no illusion involved. And a stat buff is hardly suspicious.

*Points once more at the portion of his post before the smiley*

Ravens_cry
2010-12-23, 12:00 PM
*Points once more at the portion of his post before the smiley*

So OK, so I retract the absolutely. But 6th level spell compared to some face paint?
Yeah, that's still trumps for most of the game.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 12:06 PM
So OK, so I retract the absolutely. But 6th level spell compared to some face paint?
Yeah, that's still trumps for most of the game.

That depends on when your game starts, really. I agree that early on that a good disguise check beats magical detection... mostly because there is no really good magical detection at early levels.

Of course, you could be up against someone/something with a good Spot check instead, but that's mundane vs. mundane.

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-23, 12:06 PM
If I am not mistaken a psion can rewrite a person's memories given time. There is no way reading the thralls thoughts will grant any useful information.

Psyren
2010-12-23, 12:09 PM
If I am not mistaken a psion can rewrite a person's memories given time. There is no way reading the thralls thoughts will grant any useful information.

Walking around under a compulsion all day (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/modifyMemoryPsionic.htm) is a pretty big hint to anyone looking.

ZeroGear
2011-04-23, 08:49 AM
I think I just died laughing. I'm kinda having trouble taking a little cat-girl with a horde of minions seriously. Especially when I picture her in a loli-goth garb giggling the whole time her minions are ripping the heroes apart.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY, I CAN'T PICTURE A TIBBIT WITHOUT A TAIL!

Barlen
2011-04-23, 01:10 PM
As long as your going tibbit, you might as well look at the following resourse:

Fabulous Cats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)

The collar of perpetual attendance is the most useful of course.

Jarawara
2011-04-23, 10:10 PM

Naw. We're going for the James Bond villain, Blofeld - and he was played by a different actor every single movie. So, go ahead and make each fake villain completely different from the last one, but instruct everyone around him to act like he was exactly the same as before. :smallwink:

So what if he looks like Telly Savalas in one scene and Max Von Sydow in the next. Just pretend that nothing has changed and keep the focus on the fake villain, not the tibbit.

gomipile
2011-04-24, 12:38 AM
Naw. We're going for the James Bond villain, Blofeld - and he was played by a different actor every single movie. So, go ahead and make each fake villain completely different from the last one, but instruct everyone around him to act like he was exactly the same as before. :smallwink:

So what if he looks like Telly Savalas in one scene and Max Von Sydow in the next. Just pretend that nothing has changed and keep the focus on the fake villain, not the tibbit.

That's why Blofeld always looked different! It was that damn cat all along!